ADVERTISEMENT

Fire this idiot !!!!

Clob,
Care to predict how this goes? Does he get the axe tomorrow?
From what I hear, UM has been offered a 5 year tiered contract. Year 1 is somewhere around 10m. Year 2 is around 11 .... And so on. There's incentives that can greatly escalate the value--- none of this 250k for a big 12 title and 250k for a NYE bowl game. Apparently it's double that or more.
One of the "fly in the ointments" that I have heard is that, out of respect for Tom, Urban won't take the job until Tom is gone. And CDC won't let Tom go until Urban has committed. A Mexican stand off, of sorts. Apologies to all you folks of Mexican descent, I didn't invent that saying, but there's some truth in there.
So my best guess is that with no big 12 title to play for and now with players jumping ship, they let Tom run this until the bowl game and then bring Meyer in for a quick transition. Bite the bullet on the first recruiting cycle a bit, and hope that the transfer portal and JUCOs can fill the gap.

I wouldn't do it that way, but that's probably why I'm never going to be in charge.

From what I hear, UM has been offered a 5 year tiered contract. Year 1 is somewhere around 10m. Year 2 is around 11 .... And so on. There's incentives that can greatly escalate the value--- none of this 250k for a big 12 title and 250k for a NYE bowl game. Apparently it's double that or more.
One of the "fly in the ointments" that I have heard is that, out of respect for Tom, Urban won't take the job until Tom is gone. And CDC won't let Tom go until Urban has committed. A Mexican stand off, of sorts. Apologies to all you folks of Mexican descent, I didn't invent that saying, but there's some truth in there.
So my best guess is that with no big 12 title to play for and now with players jumping ship, they let Tom run this until the bowl game and then bring Meyer in for a quick transition. Bite the bullet on the first recruiting cycle a bit, and hope that the transfer portal and JUCOs can fill the gap.

I wouldn't do it that way, but that's probably why I'm never going to be in charge.

Thanks Clob, I always appreciate what you bring to the table. I agree with you. Fire him tomorrow and let Ash run the show until UM is announced. Save this recruiting cycle. Tom is still walking away with 15 mil so I don't feel bad about it. We maybe get Ewers and Blake's boys back. This is too big a cycle to miss on. Its a program changing cycle.

Thanks Clob, I always appreciate what you bring to the table. I agree with you. Fire him tomorrow and let Ash run the show until UM is announced. Save this recruiting cycle. Tom is still walking away with 15 mil so I don't feel bad about it. We maybe get Ewers and Blake's boys back. This is too big a cycle to miss on. Its a program changing cycle.

Ewers maybe. The Brock's are gone unfortunately IMO

Why wasn’t Coker a good hire? 3 conference titles, one national title. Worst year was 7-6. Wasn’t his fault the NCAA caught up with Miami.

my overall point though is win you win a title you can’t be a bad hire.

LC won a nc in his first year with the talent he inherited. After that the talent level started to diminish and the last 2 years with his own recruits the U became mediocre. In the all about the U part 2 documentary I learned that the players walked all over him.

And the SEC has been on such a roll the last 25 years that average coaches have caught lightening in a bottle 1 year and won a nc. TN, Auburn, and now LSU. In fact Auburn almost won another title with a team that was a fluke. That's why I shook my head when someone on this thread recommended Gus Malzahn as a coach the mans going to be fired at the end of the season. Point to all this is that sometimes average coaches win nc.

Appreciate it.

It's difficult sometimes to see beyond just football in certain arenas. I know kids today seem scatter brained and all over the place (especially to baby boomers) but make no mistake, this generation is the most photographed and "look at me" generation to come along in world history. Do many of them make stupid ass decisions that would make Nero blush? Yes. Yes they do. Some of these dumb asses actually go out and commit crimes and then video said crime and then POST IT on their webpages--- hoping that they will garner enough attention to start collecting a check. You know, so they don't have to get a REAL job.
But one thing they ALL understand is the power of social media. We have to change with the times and if you want the best players, you have to give them a platform for attention.

Urban Meyer will be that platform.

This whole year with the pandemic, the election, the social issues, have shown that social media is not a good thing.

This whole year with the pandemic, the election, the social issues, have shown that social media is not a good thing.
Agree. Social media may be fine if it only — with minor exceptions — functioned as a platform through which content passes. In its current form, a biased, propaganda machine (I.e., acting as a publisher of the govt), it is pure evil. Unfortunately, the vast majority are receiving their “news” from social media and wind up brainwashed.

Reactions: outhereincali
Someone said that BMD flew to Dallas today? Can that be a sign of a coach they are talking to at the moment or a secret meeting being held with other BMD's. The next few days will be Interesting as we play the wait and see game. Could we flip the Brockmeyer twins if they knew UM was coming to town?

Someone said that BMD flew to Dallas today? Can that be a sign of a coach they are talking to at the moment or a secret meeting being held with other BMD's. The next few days will be Interesting as we play the wait and see game. Could we flip the Brockmeyer twins if they knew UM was coming to town?
Brockermeyers have already signed.

they cant sign yet. early signing day this year is dec 16th.

That being said, i just cant believe that we do anything with herman before the kansas game. We never have. I think it should be done now and feelings be damned. name ash the interim and full court press Urban and make him get a restraining order against us or agrees to coach.

they cant sign yet. early signing day this year is dec 16th.

That being said, i just cant believe that we do anything with herman before the kansas game. We never have. I think it should be done now and feelings be damned. name ash the interim and full court press Urban and make him get a restraining order against us or agrees to coach.

Obviously Herman will be allowed to finish out the season. Whatever the deal is I'm sure Urban is aware of the timeline and is probably fine with it if he is still interested, maybe Urban wants to finish his obligations with FOX. Just try to relax and let it play out, if Urban wants in it will happen, if he doesn't then there isn't anything to do anyway because the next option would still be in the middle of their season and won't come on board until after ESD. Either way we would be in the same boat and firing Herman before ESD would probably cause some recruits to back out. Keep the status quo until all the ducks are in a row.

A few thoughts about this mess.

You know if you look at most programs around the country you'll notice that most of them are from or spent most of their asst coach days in the region where they're hc now. I mean if you haven't noticed it yet than start looking. The Midwest hc are midwestern guys, same in the south, west coast, and also the Big XII.

And then you have the guys who have won all over the place but there's not many of those guys. You have Urban, and Saban, but that's about it. And here is the rub for the TX Longhorns. What hot names out there that are out that are familiar with the lay of the land to come and win big right away at TX? I can't think of anybody not even 1.

Another thought.

What if Urban really says no. What are the chances that he can give CDC some names? I mean he won big at a blue blood and he probably knows who's out there that has the right stuff to win big at blueblood like TX. Just sayin

One last thought

This new coach is going to have the personality and leadership skills to work out this Eyes of Texas issue. I can't even begin to describe how much is at stake here. Or how many people with a personal stake in this. The new hc has to take a leading role to bring everyone together its that serious. Also if a big name comes in can he convince all the 3rd and 4th year players to stay at TX for another year. Only a top name can get those players to even listen.

Urban has won big at Utah, Florida, and Ohio State. The latter two being national titles. As far as recruiting goes, Urban came in and raped Texas of it's top talent while at both Florida and Ohio State. Remember 5'star guys like Barron Browning, Jeffery Okuda, and JK Dobbins.

We might not get the Brocks, but there are a number of other guys weh have a legit shot at getting with him. Remember besides being a legit coach, he can also offer early playing time, something Bama and Ohio State can't offer. Might not work for 2021 class but will be huge for 2022.

giphy.gif

like·ly/ˈlīklē/

adjective
  1. 1.
    such as well might happen or be true; probable.
    "it was likely that he would make a televised statement"
He won't go 8-3 next year either...

like·ly/ˈlīklē/

adjective
  1. 1.
    such as well might happen or be true; probable.
    "it was likely that he would make a televised statement"
He won't go 8-3 next year either...
Ya I know we will go 5-7 or 6-6. Young QB and losing some impact guys on defense. I see next year not going good at all.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT