ADVERTISEMENT

Fournette and McCaffrey will sit out the bowl.

westx

Dec 6, 2009
Is this the wave of the future? I believe it is for certain top draft prospects. It sucks, but, I totally understand the dollars that are at risk. Jaylon Smith was severely injured during Notre Dame's bowl game last year which affected his opportunities.

Is this the wave of the future? I believe it is for certain top draft prospects. It sucks, but, I totally understand the dollars that are at risk. Jaylon Smith was severely injured during Notre Dame's bowl game last year which affected his opportunities.

I am shocked by this. What happens next year when they're in the NFL. Do they think they can play when they feel like it? You can't help but wonder what their teammates think. I just don't believe they're alright with this decision they've got to be angry. How can they respect them? Do Fournette and McCaffrey think their chances of injury are far greater? Do they think they're the only future NFL players on their team? Seriously?

I've lost a lot respect for these two. If their NFL careers are a disappointment I wont be sending them any flowers.

Reactions: diadevic
I'm surprised more players don't do this. And yes, I also think it's selfish of them, but I'm not the one risking millions of dollars to play a game.

I kinda see it both ways. I get why they are doing this. Jaylon Smith lost millions last year. Who knows if he will ever get that money back.

However if your on scholarship I'm not sure you should be allowed to just sit out games.

It also shows that these bowl games don't really mean anything to the big schools. If Stanford or LSU were in the playoffs they'd be playing. They do mean a lot to the mid major types but to the big schools doesn't mean crap. Guys have already half checked out and that's if your lucky. So anyone who says we can't expand the playoff because of the bowl system. This is what your bowl system means to the players.

Reactions: team1984
I kinda see it both ways. I get why they are doing this. Jaylon Smith lost millions last year. Who knows if he will ever get that money back.

However if your on scholarship I'm not sure you should be allowed to just sit out games.

It also shows that these bowl games don't really mean anything to the big schools. If Stanford or LSU were in the playoffs they'd be playing. They do mean a lot to the mid major types but to the big schools doesn't mean crap. Guys have already half checked out and that's if your lucky. So anyone who says we can't expand the playoff because of the bowl system. This is what your bowl system means to the players.

I respect your thoughts but I disagree. Most schools and that includes the big boys want to be in a bowl game and are mature enough to know that you're not going to be in the Rose Bowl every year. I will always respect Mack Brown for his w/l record in bowl games and most of them weren't BCS/NYS level. Ftr, MB was 10/5 in bowl games. Schools that approach bowl games the way Oklahoma does are outnumbered by the ones that don't.

And if this thing mushrooms don't be surprised that one day a player on a playoff team decides to pull a McCaffrey. And you're right in college a player shouldn't be allowed to sit out games. And if they try that in the NFL their careers will be over. I wonder how NFL scouts will approach McCaffrey and especially Fournette.

Sure schools want to be in a bowl game, and for the majority of players that aren't even going to sniff the NFL they enjoy the bowl expierence. The result of the game though is rather meaningless to the big boys. How many times have we seen the mid major go in to the major bowl game and beat the big boys? Happens a lot because the big boys are either thinking about the next level or just really don't care about the game.

I don't think you will see players ever sit out the playoffs. I think that would kill a players draft stock. I do think you'll see more players sit out bowl games however.

Coaches that leave for other schools don't even coach bowl games. That shows you how much they really mean. Yet coordinators or coaches of the playoff teams who leave for other jobs don't go till after the games.

I am shocked by this. What happens next year when they're in the NFL. Do they think they can play when they feel like it? You can't help but wonder what their teammates think. I just don't believe they're alright with this decision they've got to be angry. How can they respect them? Do Fournette and McCaffrey think their chances of injury are far greater? Do they think they're the only future NFL players on their team? Seriously?

I've lost a lot respect for these two. If their NFL careers are a disappointment I wont be sending them any flowers.

The difference is, playing in this bowl game could lose them millions in the NFL. Sitting out games in the NFL will also cost them millions as they would be fined game checks for not playing. Just follow the money!

Why do you think Colt didn't come back and play 2nd half Bama game? That's why he was talking to his dad at half time, about his NFL futures if he did play.There oughta be a rule that ya gotta Grad to play in NFL.

Hook'em

Reactions: OldHornInPA
So a university gave you the opportunity to show case your skills and also trained, conditioned and provided free education for you and as a player you feel it's ok to sit out a game? Because of the possibility of playing in the NFL that you wouldn't possibly have a chance to play in if it weren't for the university that you're deciding to sit out on. I don't know I have a hard time with this.

Reactions: outhereincali
I don't like trash bowls any way but why stop at just sitting out the bowl game? What if your team is 3-7, going nowhere but you are an All-American? Do you sit out the last few games of the season? If you go to college you should be there until you graduate then go to the NFL. The NFL also needs to pony up and stop using colleges as their minor leagues. Give kids that really aren't college material a chance to train and play in the minors.

So a university gave you the opportunity to show case your skills and also trained, conditioned and provided free education for you and as a player you feel it's ok to sit out a game? Because of the possibility of playing in the NFL that you wouldn't possibly have a chance to play in if it weren't for the university that you're deciding to sit out on. I don't know I have a hard time with this.
Lets not talk about the millions of dollars that these two kids have brought their respective universities over the last 3 years. Who would have watched Stanford without McCaffery? LSU without Fournette? Those two dudes have brought in more money for their university than they spent on their education. Also, if I am guessing neither of these two guys are in school any longer. In McCaffrey's case, look at the responses from his teammates and his coach, all of them have come out and fully supported him. Major college football is no longer about receiving an education (in most cases) it is about auditioning for the NFL. These two have nothing else to prove to the NFL, why take the chance

Why do you think Colt didn't come back and play 2nd half Bama game? That's why he was talking to his dad at half time, about his NFL futures if he did play.There oughta be a rule that ya gotta Grad to play in NFL.

Hook'em

No there shouldn't. That goes against the NFL's best interest and the player's best interest. The only party that satisfies is the fan and we aren't owed anything.

Reactions: swVAHorn
I don't remember who said it, but I saw a tweet regarding this that is on the nose. When you turn college football into a billion dollar business don't be surprised when the players start making business decisions.

These two a first round picks in a position with a short shelf life. Both struggled with injuries this year and both would have been very high draft picks had they been allowed to come out last year. The semester is over and you are asking these to players to risk their future to play in an exhibition game.

Lets not talk about the millions of dollars that these two kids have brought their respective universities over the last 3 years. Who would have watched Stanford without McCaffery? LSU without Fournette? Those two dudes have brought in more money for their university than they spent on their education. Also, if I am guessing neither of these two guys are in school any longer. In McCaffrey's case, look at the responses from his teammates and his coach, all of them have come out and fully supported him. Major college football is no longer about receiving an education (in most cases) it is about auditioning for the NFL. These two have nothing else to prove to the NFL, why take the chance

Well you're only including the cost of the education but what about the medical attention, travel expenses, the facilities they have access too, the tutors that I assume help, the trainers etc.. A lot goes into a football program I'd assume and these athletes have access to pretty much anything they need. I'm not discounting they're "stardom" for the university and that's why the school invested in them. In my opinion if someone invests in you then I think you should have some obligation to give back. Again this is my opinion and I know few will agree.

Last edited:
Well you're only including the cost of the education but what about the medical attention, the facilities they have access too, the tutors that I assume help, the trainers etc.. A lot goes into a football program I'd assume and these athletes have access to pretty much anything they need. I'm not discounting they're "stardom" for the university and that's why the school invested in them. In my opinion if someone invests in you then I think you should have some obligation to give back. Again this is my opinion and I know few will agree.
I think the 3 years that they have given to the university is a pretty good return on investment. I think the thing that answers was this move a good or bad decision is the reaction from the team and coaching staff...if they had come out mad about this then I think that answers your questions but when everyone comes out in support of your decision I don't think there is any questions left. I can see the other side of the argument that you signed a scholarship with them. Because I have never signed an athletic scholarship in my life, does it state that you are staying for 4 years or does it just say that it is a yearly thing?

I don't like trash bowls any way but why stop at just sitting out the bowl game? What if your team is 3-7, going nowhere but you are an All-American? Do you sit out the last few games of the season? If you go to college you should be there until you graduate then go to the NFL. The NFL also needs to pony up and stop using colleges as their minor leagues. Give kids that really aren't college material a chance to train and play in the minors.
Aggies wouldn't be able to field a team in November.

Seriously - I think this is the ultimate in self centered behavior. I understand everyone else's points, but everyone's points are centered on the individual. This is a team game. The rest of the team showed up at practices in the summer, lifted weights before classes, made the sacrifices as a TEAM - and these two are telling their teammates and fans to suck it. One other poster said these players owe nothing to the fans. I call BS. Without the fans, there would be no scholarships and no NFL. Unforgiveable. Yes, its their future. But that is MY university (if I go to LSU or Stanford) and they turned their backs on me. I turned on the NFL years ago because of the self centered/me first Neon Deions and TO's. I fear this is coming to the college game.

Is this true? Am I the last to know this?

Probably a little truth to this. I can see how they didn't want to risk further injury since he couldn't throw with velocity after he got hurt but to say it as if he just said NO I'm done and my arm feels good. It was the NC for crying out loud! I can't see Colt just shutting it all down if he could throw the ball and help us win.

Stanford and LSU have top notch programs people around the company watching them before McCaffrey and Fournette showed up.

Stanford and LSU have top notch programs people around the company watching them before McCaffrey and Fournette showed up.
You're telling me that you would have paid $100/ticket to go watch Stanford without McCaffrey? Come on now, I would venture to say that over half of the Stanford alums can't name a single player on that team outside of McCaffrey. I know I can't (clearly not a Stanford alum)

You're telling me that you would have paid $100/ticket to go watch Stanford without McCaffrey? Come on now, I would venture to say that over half of the Stanford alums can't name a single player on that team outside of McCaffrey. I know I can't (clearly not a Stanford alum)

What were people paying before McCaffrey existed last season? You do realize Stanford has been top notch program and NFL factory well before McCaffrey?

Same with Fournette. Neither of these players transcended their program.

What were people paying before McCaffrey existed last season? You do realize Stanford has been top notch program and NFL factory well before McCaffrey?

Same with Fournette. Neither of these players transcended their program.
I disagree with this. While Stanford has put a lot of players in the league, McCaffrey is a transcendent player. Broke records that Barry Sanders held, how long ago was that? Fournette I could go either way. I just think that neither one of these programs has the success they have had without those two players.

Couldn't find a list that was updated from the 2016 draft but these are a few of the players that Stanford alums and fans might know. Not sure why anyone showed up for games before McCaffery came along.

2015 1 13 Andrus Peat T New Orleans Saints
2015 2 64 Jordan Richards SAF New England Patriots
2015 3 80 Alex Carter CB Detroit Lions
2015 3 93 Henry Anderson DE Indianapolis Colts
2015 3 94 Ty Montgomery WR Green Bay Packers
2015 5 151 David Parry NT Indianapolis Colts
2014 2 47 Trent Murphy DE Washington Redskins
2014 4 140 Cameron Fleming T New England Patriots
2014 5 145 David Yankey G Minnesota Vikings
2014 5 162 Ed Reynolds DB Philadelphia Eagles
2014 6 204 Tyler Gaffney RB Carolina Panthers
2014 7 231 Ben Gardner DE Dallas Cowboys
2013 2 35 Zach Ertz TE Philadelphia Eagles
2013 4 133 Levine Toilolo TE Atlanta Falcons
2013 5 140 Stepfan Taylor RB Arizona Cardinals
2012 1 1 Andrew Luck QB Indianapolis Colts
2012 1 24 David DeCastro G Pittsburgh Steelers
2012 2 34 Coby Fleener TE Indianapolis Colts
2012 2 42 Jonathan Martin T Miami Dolphins
2011 3 97 Sione Fua DT Carolina Panthers
2011 4 124 Owen Marecic RB Cleveland Browns
2011 5 154 Richard Sherman DB Seattle Seahawks
2011 6 167 Ryan Whalen WR Cincinnati Bengals
2010 2 51 Toby Gerhart RB Minnesota Vikings
2010 7 233 Jim Dray TE Arizona Cardinals
2010 7 253 Erik Lorig FB Tampa Bay Buccaneers

I disagree with this. While Stanford has put a lot of players in the league, McCaffrey is a transcendent player. Broke records that Barry Sanders held, how long ago was that? Fournette I could go either way. I just think that neither one of these programs has the success they have had without those two players.

Luck was a transcendent player for that program. He was on the ground floor and took them to new heights. McCaffery was just an important cog on the already built wheel. Same with Fournette.

Reactions: swVAHorn
Coaches often leave before the bowl game to prepare for their next job. Why can't players skip the bowl to prepare for their next job?
That's why I see both sides. I see where the school is coming from. I also see that these bowl games are pretty meaningless. I mean coaches don't even stay to coach them. If Bama had lost and not made the playoff Lane kiffen would be at FAU. Not calling plays for Bama at the cotton bowl.

The day the NCAA figures out they can make more money on a 16 team playoff format rather than the current bowl system the bowl system as we know it will disappear quick

I think the 3 years that they have given to the university is a pretty good return on investment.

You think 1 player made the school more than they spent on him? Again don't just think education think all aspects of cost provided to player. Your employer doesn't just pay your salary for showing up to work for them.

I very seriously doubt that.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT