ADVERTISEMENT

High Heat Brisket (Results With Pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: High Heat Brisket

Originally posted by C-West:
Originally posted by MR. COSELL:
C-West, thanks for the copy and paste. Anyway to get a good bark with this method? I am more of into dry rub.

Someone else would know better than I would since this is my first time trying this method. My gut tells me that this one isn't going to have that great of a bark because you spend a lot of time finishing it in foil. If I really wanted to, I could throw it back on the smoker after I unwrap it for a half hour to firm it up and get a better bark, but I think I'm going to just go with it right out of the foil this time around and adjust next time.

I just poked it with a fork and it's almost there. Maybe another 30-45 minutes in foil, then I'll pull it, wrap it tightly in a couple layers of new foil, wrap it with a towel and let it sit in an ice chest for an hour or so.

Thanks C-West... keep us updated on taste, possible changes to process, etc.. would love to see some pics of that thing after you're done.. sliced as well if you have the time. Thanks..

After 180...gotta rely on the fork test
If it goes through like a hot knife thru butter

Its done

sweet water spice brine are easier to find at Academy

Reactions: duqu

Of course you're going to loose all bark after you foil it. You're also going to loose a lot of bark if you wrap it and put it in an ice chest too. If you unwrap it and put it back on the pit, it will bark back up a bit.
This post was edited on 6/19 7:36 PM by ccatcher15

Reactions: dahorns1

I just did my brisket for 8 1/2 hours on a side firebox pit.(pecan)..it is the only Texan way to do it and the "high heat" stuff I am seeing is communist yankee influence. The key to moist is LET THEM REST before you cut them. Mine was so good it makes you eat your fingers.

Guys... a little part of me died tonight. It was better than the best brisket I've ever done low and slow. It's gonna be hard for me to go back. Even the flat was moist as hell. I prefer more of a bark but I think I could just throw it back on the smoker at the end to achieve that next time.

Anyway, I'm very surprised but the high heat method made me a believer today. I feel a little dirty saying that, but it's the truth.

This post was edited on 6/19 9:57 PM by C-West

Guys... a little part of me died tonight. It was better than the best brisket I've ever done low and slow. It's gonna be hard for me to go back. Even the flat was moist as hell. I prefer more of a bark but I think I could just throw it back on the smoker at the end to achieve that next time.

Anyway, I'm very surprised but the high heat method made me a believer today. I feel a little dirty saying that, but it's the truth.

If you do that, the method will be pretty close to the way I was taught by my dad.....

Awesome pics...

I am also a big fan of oven finishing...after 160 degrees internal, meat stops absorbing smoke flavor anyway and your relying on just heat. At about 165, I like to just wrap and move into the oven.

I shed a tear...low and slow is all I know and now it seems I don't know sh!t. LOL

C-West, thanks for the copy and paste. Anyway to get a good bark with this method? I am more of into dry rub.

Someone posted on here about a month ago about this. There was a blog that said the best way to get the bark was to wrap it in butcher paper. I will try to find the link, as I know I texted it to a friend who does cook out competitions.

Originally posted by bevoxii:

Someone posted on here about a month ago about this. There was a blog that said the best way to get the bark was to wrap it in butcher paper. I will try to find the link, as I know I texted it to a friend who does cook out
competitions.

Here

butcher paper

Originally posted by Hook'm RD:
I just did my brisket for 8 1/2 hours on a side firebox pit.(pecan)..it is the only Texan way to do it and the "high heat" stuff I am seeing is communist yankee influence. The key to moist is LET THEM REST before you cut them. Mine was so good it makes you eat your fingers.

so i guess the guys at SMittys, Kruez and Luling are communists? interesting.

Great brisket C-West. My dad does it fast when he has a lot of folks over and it is a very good method of doing brisket

Looks damn good. Did you cut with the grain instead of against it? Looks that way in the pic.

Originally posted by 98HornLK:
Is there a difference in the upright smoker and an offset? I could have used this thread last week. I smoker 2 briskets, 2 pork shoulders and a few chickens for the family reunion this past weekend!

I've always had an offset smoker until I recently got my upright. The concept is the same, you just change some of the methods. I made sure I used a heat deflector over my fire so that the brisket didn't dry out. I also made sure to use a drip pan and used beer and water combination for it. The main difference with the upright is that it's just less maintenance. I didn't tend the fire one time through the entire cook.

Other than that, everything would be the same I would think.

Everybody should pslost what they know about bbq and the high heat method and the mods should ARCHIVE this thread with the other bbq thread.
I pdf'd the first page of this thread and posted it to OB recipe index that pantless wonder maintains, so it is archived. If there is enough stuff in the second page, I'll archive it too.

never would have tried this .........damn sure will now!
looks GREAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT