ADVERTISEMENT

Houston Texans Pre Season

westx

Dec 6, 2009
Looking good. I know pre-season means nothing, but, I loved the move to get Osweiler. Every time I see him interviewed, I come away impressed by him. This may finally be it for the Texans. I am a Cowboy's fan, but, I sure wish the Texans were still the Oilers. Always had them as kind of my 2nd favorite team.

BTW, todays game against the Cardinals: Shipley had a hell of a touchdown catch.

Colts look like garbage.

No OLine & no secondary.

The AFC South is a toss up this year.

It's just pre-season. Wins and losses don't mean a thing. The Texans won't win sh*t this year, just like every other year. Texans = NFL aggy.
I don't see it that way. Why do the Texans rile you up so much? Bill O'Brien seems like the real deal as does Osweiler. I have more confidence in them right now that where the Cowboys are and have been for the longest time.

westx, the Texans don't rile me up. I have no respect for that organization. IMO Bob McNair is one of the worst owners in the NFL and they will never win as long as he owns the team. The Texans have no winning history, and by now they should have. They are poorly run and have a losing culture about them. I don't get how anyone can be a fan of that team. They just flat out suck.

It's just pre-season. Wins and losses don't mean a thing. The Texans won't win sh*t this year, just like every other year. Texans = NFL aggy.

Totally agree that preseason wins mean very little. Preseason is about keeping starters healthy and finding some backups to win jobs and getting seasoning for young players.

Can you name who won the preseason last year? My buddy was slurping Dax and I asked him if he remembered that guy that led the preseason in passing last season and his response of "no" was followed by my "exactly". Dax has skills but has only thrown passes from the shotgun and has yet to make a single audible or full field read on a play or even face a real 1st team D or even a D being aggressive and not just in a basic shell. Its not real football the way it is played when the season starts.

That being said, no idea why the strong words of hate towards the Texans. They have only been around like a decade. I think they overpaid for some guys but made some decent moves. They are a middle of the pack team. Will probably have a winning year and get in the playoffs.

Totally agree that preseason wins mean very little. Preseason is about keeping starters healthy and finding some backups to win jobs and getting seasoning for young players.

Can you name who won the preseason last year? My buddy was slurping Dax and I asked him if he remembered that guy that led the preseason in passing last season and his response of "no" was followed by my "exactly". Dax has skills but has only thrown passes from the shotgun and has yet to make a single audible or full field read on a play or even face a real 1st team D or even a D being aggressive and not just in a basic shell. Its not real football the way it is played when the season starts.

That being said, no idea why the strong words of hate towards the Texans. They have only been around like a decade. I think they overpaid for some guys but made some decent moves. They are a middle of the pack team. Will probably have a winning year and get in the playoffs.
For the record: I never said pre-season wins mean anything. It is evaluation of real game speed. And yes, you can most definitely evaluate performance. I really like Osweiler's performance and decisions. I also saw Ezekiel play against the Seahawks. I can tell you I saw attitude and loved that he didn't care about the all-pros in the secondary and went head on. Chancellor didn't like it too much.

I agree with this. It's not about win or losses in pre-season games, but really about finding who can help your team win.

I keep things in perspective. For the record, Dallas won last year's pre-season game (who cares), and they own a 3-1 regular season record against Houston. Dak is a rookie, and he's in for a rough go in the regular season. I realize that. However, I'd rather have him compared to Matt Cassel, Kellen Moore or Brandon Weeden. Dak has at least show something compared to those guys.

I don't don't hate the Texans, but they are so not even close to NFL elite or even a good franchise. They have actually been around for 14 seasons, and accomplished absolutely nothing. Why should anyone respect them? A "middle of the pack team"? Seriously? That is being very kind. The Texans are more like the Jags, Bills, Browns, Dolphins, Chargers, Lions, Bucs, Rams, etc., and all of those teams have WAY more credentials than the Texans. The Texans have nothing to show for their 14 years of futility. No hardware, no foundation, and no reason to believe in them, and also a bad owner. No one outside of a begging, myopic, delusional Houston fan thinks the Texans are a factor. Texans = NFL aggy.

I don't hate the Texans, but they are so not even close to NFL elite. They have actually been around for 14 seasons, and accomplished absolutely nothing. Why should anyone respect them? A "middle of the pack team"? Seriously? That is being very kind. The Texans are more like the Jags, Bills, Browns, Dolphins, Chargers, Lions, Bucs, Rams, etc., and all of those teams have WAY more credentials than the Texans. The Texans have nothing to show for their 14 years of futility. No hardware, no foundation, and no reason to believe in them, and also a bad owner. No one outside of a begging, myopic, delusional Houston fan thinks the Texans are a factor. Texans = NFL aggy.

If you don't hate the Texans, I think it is fair to say that you at least have some extremely strong negative feelings towards them. I am curious as to why? What is it about the owner you dislike so much?

And who said they were elite? I don't think anyone has ever made that claim. In terms of their lack of accomplishments, I am not sure what you expect from a relatively new team. Heck, somehow that Jags had some great seasons right after they were created but I imagine that's rare for an expansion team.

The Texans had 5 losing seasons to start the franchise. I don't think that is shocking. Since then they have been .500 or greater in 7/9 seasons with 10, 12, 9 and 9 wins in 4 out of the last 5. Not world beaters but competitive and making it to the playoffs more often than not. So, I think you can claim 5 years of futility and 9 middle of the pack.

As far as the teams you chose to compare them to, you are way off in your valuation there. Of the 8 teams you mentioned they have a combined 6 seasons with >8 wins over the last five years, the Texans have 4 such seasons (with 3 division championships - yes the AFC has been garbage).

Explain your hate, and realize the Texans aren't as bad as you think.

If you don't hate the Texans, I think it is fair to say that you at least have some extremely strong negative feelings towards them. I am curious as to why? What is it about the owner you dislike so much?

And who said they were elite? I don't think anyone has ever made that claim. In terms of their lack of accomplishments, I am not sure what you expect from a relatively new team. Heck, somehow that Jags had some great seasons right after they were created but I imagine that's rare for an expansion team.

The Texans had 5 losing seasons to start the franchise. I don't think that is shocking. Since then they have been .500 or greater in 7/9 seasons with 10, 12, 9 and 9 wins in 4 out of the last 5. Not world beaters but competitive and making it to the playoffs more often than not. So, I think you can claim 5 years of futility and 9 middle of the pack.

As far as the teams you chose to compare them to, you are way off in your valuation there. Of the 8 teams you mentioned they have a combined 6 seasons with >8 wins over the last five years, the Texans have 4 such seasons (with 3 division championships - yes the AFC has been garbage).

Explain your hate, and realize the Texans aren't as bad as you think.

I don't hate the Texans. I just have zero respect for them and laugh at them. Why should anyone who is a knowledgeable football fan respect them?

They aren't a "new team". 14 years of futility and they are 30 games below .500 in their existence. Bob McNair is a nice guy, but he obviously isn't serious about building a winning franchise, nor does he know what he's doing. They should have more to show than what they have shown so far. Texans and their aggy fanbase seems to worry more about what the Cowboys are doing than what their own lousy team is doing, or has accomplished.

The one thing about the Texans I don't understand is why Rick Smith still has a job, let alone recently getting an extension. A few weeks back I asked my cousin, a die hard, to think of the top 15 or so Texans who'll be the most critical to a successful 2016 season. Then I asked which ones weren't a 1st round pick or a priorty free agent signing. Smith has done a very poor job beyond round 1 in his drafts and hasn't done much in quality trades or "finds" in free agency, he's had to pay for almost all his added talent.

I don't hate the Texans. I just have zero respect for them and laugh at them. Why should anyone who is a knowledgeable football fan respect them?

They aren't a "new team". 14 years of futility and they are 30 games below .500 in their existence. Bob McNair is a nice guy, but he obviously isn't serious about building a winning franchise, nor does he know what he's doing. They should have more to show than what they have shown so far. Texans and their aggy fanbase seems to worry more about what the Cowboys are doing than what their own lousy team is doing, or has accomplished.

Ahhh a Cowboy fan. Explains the hate! What I find funny about this whole Cowboy vs Texan debate is that everyone has their fan base that picks at the other teams. I grew up in a Cowboy family and so I speak with experience. I live in Houston and grew up here and have always supported Houston teams never a Dallas. I don't jump on any team that's winning or has past Super Bowl wins. It's not in me to do that and I never will. If we're a losing team I stick with them and just keep hope alive. I have plenty of Cowboy fans talk mess especially about their past Super Bowls which by the way get's old. We have more Cowboy fans in Houston (at least it seems that way) than Texan fans so I deal with this on a daily basis when the NFL season starts. I don't say crap until someone like you starts going off on my local team. I'd also like to say I'm no aggy! Your hate is what it is, you keep saying you don't hate the Texans but man it shows through your post.

Last edited:
Reactions: Oldmanastro
The one thing about the Texans I don't understand is why Rick Smith still has a job, let alone recently getting an extension. A few weeks back I asked my cousin, a die hard, to think of the top 15 or so Texans who'll be the most critical to a successful 2016 season. Then I asked which ones weren't a 1st round pick or a priorty free agent signing. Smith has done a very poor job beyond round 1 in his drafts and hasn't done much in quality trades or "finds" in free agency, he's had to pay for almost all his added talent.

I wonder the same damn thing and I'm a Texan fan. Believe me when I say this but most if not all want Rick gone.

When they were a "new team" they were futile but in the last 10 seasons they have only had 2 losing seasons. They were 32 games under .500 in those first 5 seasons, they have won 2 more than they have lost in the last 10 years. Again, not elite but consistently in the playoff conversation. I'd say that over 14 years the franchise has been built into a competitor. Still some hurdles to clear but they are at least in the top half of the league.

I agree there. He certainly hasn't been the best at the talent evaluation. A few diamonds in the rough and very astute 1st rounders (Mario Williams instead of bush/VY, JJ Watt, Hopkins) but plenty of misses as well. Arian Foster was a great pick up as well. Quality depth has been the major issue.

For the record: I never said pre-season wins mean anything.

So I clearly quoted who I was talking to. I was just agreeing with something he said. Not saying you said the contrary at all.

I keep things in perspective. For the record, Dallas won last year's pre-season game (who cares), and they own a 3-1 regular season record against Houston. Dak is a rookie, and he's in for a rough go in the regular season. I realize that. However, I'd rather have him compared to Matt Cassel, Kellen Moore or Brandon Weeden. Dak has at least show something compared to those guys.

I don't don't hate the Texans, but they are so not even close to NFL elite or even a good franchise. They have actually been around for 14 seasons, and accomplished absolutely nothing. Why should anyone respect them? A "middle of the pack team"? Seriously? That is being very kind. The Texans are more like the Jags, Bills, Browns, Dolphins, Chargers, Lions, Bucs, Rams, etc., and all of those teams have WAY more credentials than the Texans. The Texans have nothing to show for their 14 years of futility. No hardware, no foundation, and no reason to believe in them, and also a bad owner. No one outside of a begging, myopic, delusional Houston fan thinks the Texans are a factor. Texans = NFL aggy.

Still. I don't get the hate. No one is saying the Texans are going to win the Superbowl. Or that they are some all time great franchise. They are a middle of the road franchise. And a young one at that. The guy that started this thread just wanted to talk about how they are showing progress. Not sure why a thread about Houston turns in to a pissing contest about Dallas. But we are all guilty of it sometimes on this site (I tend to do it w OU/Ag trolls)

I guess I get it. Some Cowboys fans are just bitter that the Texans have actually won the same amount division titles and playoff wins as the Boys since 1996 (2 wins each). And Houston wasn't even around for all that time. That's where the bitterness in the state resides. Much like it does in B/CS. There's a relevant Aggie comparison for you.

Here's my stance. Grew up in Houston. Love the Oilers. Sucked when they left. Disliked Bud Adams when I was a kid. I've never hated the Cowboys. In fact when they were my 2nd favorite team growing up. But their fan base is so proud. And rightfully so. But some of those once proud fans are sooooo upset that they haven't won anything since 1996 that they make it tough to have a conversation with. Much like Aggie. I hope Dallas wins something soon so their fans can act normal again.

Reactions: LongfellowDrew
Still. I don't get the hate. No one is saying the Texans are going to win the Superbowl. Or that they are some all time great franchise. They are a middle of the road franchise. And a young one at that. The guy that started this thread just wanted to talk about how they are showing progress. Not sure why a thread about Houston turns in to a pissing contest about Dallas. But we are all guilty of it sometimes on this site (I tend to do it w OU/Ag trolls)

I guess I get it. Some Cowboys fans are just bitter that the Texans have actually won the same amount division titles and playoff wins as the Boys since 1996 (2 wins each). And Houston wasn't even around for all that time. That's where the bitterness in the state resides. Much like it does in B/CS. There's a relevant Aggie comparison for you.

Here's my stance. Grew up in Houston. Love the Oilers. Sucked when they left. Disliked Bud Adams when I was a kid. I've never hated the Cowboys. In fact when they were my 2nd favorite team growing up. But their fan base is so proud. And rightfully so. But some of those once proud fans are sooooo upset that they haven't won anything since 1996 that they make it tough to have a conversation with. Much like Aggie. I hope Dallas wins something soon so their fans can act normal again.

I agree with all of it with the exception of Cowboys winning something soon. My family is a "proud" bunch as you say. I like it quiet at least from them! I have to hear it at work and from friends about the past Super Bowls and such all the time.

jsto, I live in Houston and have been a Cowboys fan all my life. I tried liking the Texans when they first came into the league. What made me sour on the Texans is their insufferable fans with their non-stop trash talking, hating, comparing their team to the Cowboys, and complete obsession with everything Cowboys related. The Texans haven't won anything of significance, yet to hear their fans talk, you would think that they're world beaters. Maybe if they ever did win something of significance and stop with all of the nonsense and insecurity towards the Cowboys, they would earn my respect. This is why I call Texans fans NFL aggy.

jsto, I live in Houston and have been a Cowboys fan all my life. I tried liking the Texans when they first came into the league. What made me sour on the Texans is their insufferable fans with their non-stop trash talking, hating, comparing their team to the Cowboys, and complete obsession with everything Cowboys related. The Texans haven't won anything of significance, yet to hear their fans talk, you would think that they're world beaters. Maybe if they ever did win something of significance and stop with all of the nonsense and insecurity towards the Cowboys, they would earn my respect. This is why I call Texans fans NFL aggy.

But realize that none of the Texans fans here have been talking trash. The OP (a cowboys fan btw) just mentioned that they were looking good. A few people agree and you lash out about the Texans. I'm sure the Texans have some obnoxious fans (especially in Houston) but I wouldn't say anyone here was being obnoxious.

Reactions: jsto60

Hey we all have our experiences. I'd just say I haven't encountered many of those types of fans in Houston.

On a sidenote. I'm moving from my downtown bachelor pad condo to a suburbs house with the girl over the next few days. Hope to be done by Saturday afternoon. I think I am going to hit up the Texas Exes game watching party because the cable guy is telling me they can't xfer my service till the 12th of the month.

If you are out there at the bar, hit me up and I'll buy the first round.

Hey we all have our experiences. I'd just say I haven't encountered many of those types of fans in Houston.

Yeah I'm with you, most Texans fans I know seem to be pretty grounded. There's one guy that's pretty unreasonable but he's always been a bit off. He had bet me before the 2013 NFL draft that Alex Okafor would be drafted higher than Dion Jordan because everyone would be looking for the next JJ Watt. Yeeeeeaaaah.......about that.

He had bet me before the 2013 NFL draft that Alex Okafor would be drafted higher than Dion Jordan because everyone would be looking for the next JJ Watt. Yeeeeeaaaah.......about that.

That comparison doesn't even make any sense. Jordan's size/speed ratio had him at the top of eveyone's board. Sure he clearly lacked a motor. As much as I like the former Horn Okafor.....he's no Watt. I will say that all the Watt slobering that goes on in this town is what bugs me most about Houston fans.

Dude puts in work. Can't deny that. But he has gone from shy underdog to camera hog. Can't say I blame him all that much. And I'd rather have a social media whore than a guy who is out beating on whores and going to jail. I just think he likes the camera a little too much. Go play football. Run out on the field with your helmet ON, you know like every other player introduced before the game does. Team player, right?

That comparison doesn't even make any sense. Jordan's size/speed ratio had him at the top of eveyone's board. Sure he clearly lacked a motor. As much as I like the former Horn Okafor.....he's no Watt. I will say that all the Watt slobering that goes on in this town is what bugs me most about Houston fans.

Dude puts in work. Can't deny that. But he has gone from shy underdog to camera hog. Can't say I blame him all that much. And I'd rather have a social media whore than a guy who is out beating on whores and going to jail. I just think he likes the camera a little too much. Go play football. Run out on the field with your helmet ON, you know like every other player introduced before the game does. Team player, right?

Houston gives all their big time stars a lot of love. At one point I got tired of the Beard on everything. I'm pretty sure it happens in every major city. I can say this that although JJ is a social media whore he doesn't post all the stuff he does. I've seen him at Texas Children's Hospital visiting a friends kid and that never made it to the news or social media. As for the insufferable Texan fans believe me when I say it goes both ways. Houston has a LOT of Cowboy fans that never shut up about the past. It's all in good fun until people get drunk and start fights.

Reactions: jsto60 and westx

Bingo. While JJ Watt is a great player, his non-stop attention whore antics are very annoying. Texans fans worship the guy like he's some kind of god. I wish the guy would stop with all of the side show BS and just play football.

I completely disagree with the whole social media aspect. The average career length of an NFL player is 3 years. While the money is generally really good during those 3 years, the majority of these players do not have a back up plan after football. So if I can absolutely stuff my pockets while playing football and then stuff every other pocket I own with endorsements and public appearances all while being the best defensive player in the league...why not. Strike while the iron is hot.

Reactions: LongfellowDrew
I completely disagree with the whole social media aspect. The average career length of an NFL player is 3 years. While the money is generally really good during those 3 years, the majority of these players do not have a back up plan after football. So if I can absolutely stuff my pockets while playing football and then stuff every other pocket I own with endorsements and public appearances all while being the best defensive player in the league...why not. Strike while the iron is hot.

I'm all for endorsements and such. Go maximize your money.

What I don't like is that the entire Defense is announced before the game. Everyone runs out with their helmet on. One by one. Until Watt. No helmet, jumping up and down. I get it is for the fan fair. But you can still hype up the crowd without singling out yourself OVER the team. He can even keep up the dance and all his antics. Just why the helmet off? So everyone can see you, pretty sure the 99 on your back is big enough and everyone knows who you are.

To me, he isn't the WR like Terrell Owens pulling popcorn antics and making it all about himself. But he is constantly putting himself above the team. Always looking for the camera after a tackle. And same goes while on the sideline. I'm just not down with that in TEAM sports. Just my two cents.

I can't remember Manning or Brady or Reggie White and all sorts of other greats, running to the sideline to go get in the camera and mug down before each commercial break. I get that the camera follows him. But again, tell me when you ever once in his career saw Peyton Manning mugging for the camera during a game.

I respect Watt. I think he does a lot of things the right way. Good role model. But over the years he has seeked out just as much attention as has been bestowed upon him. He wants to be in the news. Whereas guys like Brady and Jeter live the life and just cared about winning and stayed off the back page. Even when Watt does the hospital things, it still leaks and makes the news. Because he wants it to. Brady on the other hand, never see it, but he does those things too.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT