ADVERTISEMENT

Jim Grobe to BU

diadevic

May 4, 2006
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/15834890/baylor-bears-hire-jim-grobe-interim-coach

He was on the short list when BU hired Briles. Was out of coaching last year. Retaining the rest of the coaching staff? WTH? From 2 standpoints WTH - (a) I thought we needed to clean house. (b) He ran the triple option and is retaining a staff that that throws it all over the place - I would think he would want his own system.

Probably just trying to hold the program together - not sure there is a long list of high profile candidates who would be interested until the smoke blows over.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/15834890/baylor-bears-hire-jim-grobe-interim-coach

He was on the short list when BU hired Briles. Was out of coaching last year. Retaining the rest of the coaching staff? WTH? From 2 standpoints WTH - (a) I thought we needed to clean house. (b) He ran the triple option and is retaining a staff that that throws it all over the place - I would think he would want his own system.

Probably just trying to hold the program together - not sure there is a long list of high profile candidates who would be interested until the smoke blows over.

From what I've read, there is no hc, the ad has been suspended, the weasel had been reassigned, and their regents are in dissension. Without allowing the school to form a committee, Grant Teaff from what I've read pretty much did this on his own. If that is true, that is just plain wrong. They said he did it because he was insistent that the coaching stay aboard thru this season, which is crazybecause heads are going to roll on the staff as well. They say it's on interim basis. He was not a good hc. But because of GT's insistence on doing this the school may not win more than 7 games this year.

Baylor is in a no win situation. No one is going to take the job on a full time basis at this point in the year. Giving the job to Bennett when the guys who were involved were defensive guy isn't going to do anything to assure the public your committed to cleaning things up.

Grove if nothing else ran a clean program at Wake and by all accounts is a man of integrity which is probably what Baylor needs now. Yeah thry probably won't win more than 7 maybe 8 games but there hope of a great season ended a while go. At this point they just have to get through the season and try to rehab the imagine. Grobe at least gives them a professional face.

Reactions: westx

The article said that Baylor considered Mike Singletary. That would have been the best option IMO. Baylor players seem very undisciplined and Singletary would have (or should) have their respect. By hiring Grobe, it makes me think they think they can have a top level HC next year. When I think of last minute interim head coaches, I think of John Smith for Arkansas. That was funny and a disaster at the same time

Last edited:
Reactions: jsto60 and diadevic
The article said that Baylor considered Mike Singletary. That would have been the best option IMO. Baylor players seem very undisciplined and Singletary would have (or should) have their respect. By hiring Grobe, it makes me think they think they can have a top level HC next year. When I think of last minute interim head coaches, I think of John Smith for Arkansas. That was funny and a disaster at the same time
So true. Head coaching is so important. You could also mention Luke Fickel at Ohio St. Grobe is a better choice than Phil Bennett but not by a lot. He must be a very likeable guy. He had 5 straight losing seasons at WF before the canned him. That's quite a streak for one guy at a p5 school. If Singletary was willing to come in for a year he would have been a much better choice. And if he came in and performed well, you could justify giving him a long term contract.

So true. Head coaching is so important. You could also mention Luke Fickel at Ohio St. Grobe is a better choice than Phil Bennett but not by a lot. He must be a very likeable guy. He had 5 straight losing seasons at WF before the canned him. That's quite a streak for one guy at a p5 school. If Singletary was willing to come in for a year he would have been a much better choice. And if he came in and performed well, you could justify giving him a long term contract.

Fwiw, JG is a devout Baptist, who is said to have a squeaky clean relation so this could also be part of a pr clean up.

Reactions: diadevic
McCaw to resign, reports say.

Baylor's 2017 class is nearly all decommitted. One nervous 3 star kid left, assuming Kellen Mond is out the door, too. The 2016 NLOIs and the 2016 season are the only things left to salvage. Otherwise, surely the BoR would be letting go of implicated assistants. One would think, anyway, but who knows with that BoR. o_O

Is it just me, or does Baylor University love secrecy? They won't release the full report with names. They won't say which administrators or staff were disciplined. All they'll say is Starr, McCaw and Briles. They won't let go of guilty assistants. I suspect they went with Grobe when the Phil Bennett trial balloon fizzled miserably.

The DoE ought to step in, it sounds like. BU drags their feet with Title IX.

McCaw to resign, reports say.

Baylor's 2017 class is nearly all decommitted. One nervous 3 star kid left. The 2016 NLOIs are the only thing in question, almost. There's also the 2016 season, they want to salvage. Otherwise, surely the BoR would be letting go of implicated assistants. One would think, anyway, but who knows with that BoR. o_O

Is it just me, or does Baylor University love secrecy? They won't release the full report with names. They won't say which administrators or staff were disciplined. All they'll say is Starr, McCaw and Briles. They won't let go of guilty assistants. I suspect they went with Grobe when the Phil Bennett trial balloon fizzled miserably.

The DoE ought to step in, it sounds like. BU drags their feet with Title IX.

I would think that ultimately the NCAA will allow the 2016 signees to be release unconditionally from their LOI's. As for current players, I believe its possible they will be able transfer without sitting out but I don't think they will allow them unrestricted transfer to Big 12 schools. This is they way they handled the Penn St. situation (although I don't think this rises to that level but close).

He must be a very likeable guy. He had 5 straight losing seasons at WF before the canned him. That's quite a streak for one guy at a p5 school.

You have to understand just how awful Wake Forest has been throughout history. Grobe led them to an 11-win season, ACC championship, and BCS bowl appearance followed by a 9-4 season; before that, Wake had never one more than eight games in a season -- and they had only managed eight wins three times.

He wasn't even fired or pressured to resign after five straight losing seasons. His resignation was entirely voluntary.

Reactions: diadevic
With Briles out the door and Sumlin in trouble. Strong pretty much owns the state now
I would say that it probably helps ou, tcu, osu, houston, smu (in that order) more that it helps Texas. Maybe now, ou and osu/gundy will shut their trap about LHN.

We only got 85 scholarships. Back in the day, DKR could have all he wanted. With tuition $100. or less

I would think that ultimately the NCAA will allow the 2016 signees to be release unconditionally from their LOI's. As for current players, I believe its possible they will be able transfer without sitting out but I don't think they will allow them unrestricted transfer to Big 12 schools. This is they way they handled the Penn St. situation (although I don't think this rises to that level but close).

Iirc Penn State had to let anybody transfer out unrestricted that wanted to. I'm to lazy to look it up.

I can't see them doing anything less in Baylor's case. If that's true I would imagine Stidham would get out of Waco.

Iirc Penn State had to let anybody transfer out unrestricted that wanted to. I'm to lazy to look it up.

I can't see them doing anything less in Baylor's case. If that's true I would imagine Stidham would get out of Waco.

I don't know why you think the NCAA is going to waive any transfer rules. The only reason Penn St. players were allowed to transfer is because Penn St. was given extended probation. Baylor isn't under any NCAA probation or sanction. All they did was fire their coach. Did Ohio St players get to transfer when Tressel was fired? Did USC players get to transfer when Sarkisian was fired? The NCAA only waived the transfer rules for Penn St players due to the extenuating circumstances of the sanctions. Nothing like that is going to happen with Baylor.

Reactions: westx
I don't know why you think the NCAA is going to waive any transfer rules. The only reason Penn St. players were allowed to transfer is because Penn St. was given extended probation. Baylor isn't under any NCAA probation or sanction. All they did was fire their coach. Did Ohio St players get to transfer when Tressel was fired? Did USC players get to transfer when Sarkisian was fired? The NCAA only waived the transfer rules for Penn St players due to the extenuating circumstances of the sanctions. Nothing like that is going to happen with Baylor.
I agree with you in that I don't think it will come to that. However, I read in another post of 28 alleged victims. If this is true and all attributed to the football team, then I would assume it would be as severe as Penn St.

I agree with you in that I don't think it will come to that. However, I read in another post of 28 alleged victims. If this is true and all attributed to the football team, then I would assume it would be as severe as Penn St.
The situation is bad, but I believe that number is a product of some imaginative math.

This

Just heard Mine Singletary on espns mike and mine show. He said he didn't receive a single phone call from BU. Not a sniff of a call for an interview. And with his resume and his disciplinarian track record, that is shocking.

He said he didn't even get a phone call asking his opinion on anything. As a HOF Nfl alum and former NFL coach who still is vocal that he cares about his alma matter....that is also shocking.

When I think of last minute interim head coaches, I think of John Smith for Arkansas. That was funny and a disaster at the same time

Ahhhh, John L. Smith. Genesis of Thujone's funniest -- and most disturbing -- "MS Shamepaint" of all time.

Shame7_zpse72f2819.jpg

Shame8_zps494ff609.jpg

Shame9_zps066d7e45.jpg

Shame10_zpsf9ae7cf7.jpg

Reactions: LonghornMM
Just heard Mine Singletary on espns mike and mine show. He said he didn't receive a single phone call from BU. Not a sniff of a call for an interview. And with his resume and his disciplinarian track record, that is shocking.

He said he didn't even get a phone call asking his opinion on anything. As a HOF Nfl alum and former NFL coach who still is vocal that he cares about his alma matter....that is also shocking.

I would have gone with Singletary (if he agreed) because he's a bigger name, but I don't know enough about Grobe to know if he's capable of being a disciplinarian any better or worse than Singletary. I don't think either are good head coach hires for long term.

Really I don't think it's necessary for Baylor to consult with Singletary. It's not as if he's proven that he knows how to run a program. What needs to be done is pretty cut and dry and everyone knows it(completely clean house). What Baylor is attempting to do is clean some house and still salvage 2016 football revenue. Singletary wouldn't be a good consult on how to do that.

Given BU's judgment and management of the situation, this is hardly surprising.
I don't know if Mack Brown was available but he would have been much better to fill this interim/ambassador role than Grobe.

Given BU's judgment and management of the situation, this is hardly surprising.
I don't know if Mack Brown was available but he would have been much better to fill this interim/ambassador role than Grobe.
The word is that Grobe is above reproach, which is really what we need right now. And availability - he was retired. And a recognition that he is a 1 year stop gap. And willing to walk into a toilet where he will get hit with the same questions over and over for his term. I doubt there are many high quality coaches that fit those criteria.

Word around the campfire was that he wanted to be hired in a full time and not interim basis

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT