ADVERTISEMENT

Jimmy Johnson- Mahomes is the most talented QB ive ever seen

What about Randy White ??

I know like I said above I can't put my finger on it but there was something missing physically on that defense. I feel in comparison the contemporaries, the Steelers, and the Raiders, those guys had something the Cowboys didn't have. And don't forget the Steelers beat Landry's cowboys twice in the SB.

Landry's cowboys weren't that tough and neither were the 49ers. Now the Steel Curtain and the 85 bears were tough. But the Raiders didn't just beat you they f'd you up. No team caused more rule changes than the Raiders 😂.
I loved Stabler and those guys. They had some great teams and one of both the luckiest and greatest plays in the history of the game was the immaculate reception when one of the Raiders almost killed one of the Steelers and the ball flies 40 yds. across the field and is snatched out of the air by Franco who then runs 40+ yds. for a TD. I just wish someone would have unloaded on him and prevented the score..

Reactions: freeper
I loved Stabler and those guys. They had some great teams and one of both the luckiest and greatest plays in the history of the game was the immaculate reception when one of the Raiders almost killed one of the Steelers and the ball flies 40 yds. across the field and is snatched out of the air by Franco who then runs 40+ yds. for a TD. I just wish someone would have unloaded on him and prevented the score..

On that channel An NFL Life they devoted a whole show to the Immaculate Reception. That play happened with 5 seconds left. You remember that saying the thrill of victory and the agony of defeat? That was the look of the Raiders when it happened. What I remember most is that it happened to the Raiders.

Here is a good example of the frail unathletic players from the past that would have no prayer of playing in todays superior NFL...!! The Lawrence Taylor video is 5.34 in length put out by John Smith and has Ted Nugent as background music. Worth the watch as are the other videos.. These guys and many many others would dominate the NFL today.

Assuming you and I are the same age (60's) I agree with you wholeheartedly that the players of our generation were better players than the ones today. After reading your presentation I'm not surprised that the players of our generation were better athletes. Hey the players from the generations before us were better athletes. That's right. You want proof? The greatest athlete of the 20th century, and one of the NFL pioneers, was Jim Thorpe. And were talking over 100 years ago. The 2nd greatest athlete of the 20th century was Jim Brown and he was 50, 60 years ago. Bobby Layne, Sammy Baugh, and were outstanding baseball players and would have had great careers had they chosen that sport. Going back to our generation Joe Montana was an outstanding hoops player and there were so many others. Jim Brown said a true sign of greatness was a player that would have been great in any era. Guys I mentioned above other guys like Bob Lilly, mean Joe Greene, Earl Campbell, and so many others today's game would have been a piece of cake for them. A lot of great players not so much. Brady, Manning, Farve, a few more would have done well but most of them wouldn't have. Our guys, our predecessors, had the complete package.

They had a lot of HoF talent everyone knows that. But imho the only players on the Landry defenses that played with a nasty streak were Cliff Harris and Thomas Henderson. That's not to say they were finesse players because they weren't. And it's not like they avoided collisions. It's complicated but I always felt there was something missing physically.
Ya you might as well go ahead and take your L and on this one and move on. Those 70’s Cowboys defenses were tough as nails.

Reactions: LonghornMM
I know like I said above I can't put my finger on it but there was something missing physically on that defense. I feel in comparison the contemporaries, the Steelers, and the Raiders, those guys had something the Cowboys didn't have. And don't forget the Steelers beat Landry's cowboys twice in the SB.

Cali... Not tough? ...Look up Chuck Hawley....as an outside linebacker he remains to this day ( and will be forever) the only man named Super Bowl MVP from the team that lost.

Lee Roy Jordon....none ever better...Willy, Lilly, Jethroe, and George....they weren’t called Doomsday by being soft....

Reactions: LonghornMM
Y'all need to stop. Linebackers that ran 5.1s, defensive linemen that weighed 260 and playedagainst offensive linemen that weighed 225. Seriously, stop. Greatness transcends-- earl, Darrell green, Deion.... All good. But some of those others y'all are touting were great FOR THEIR ERA.

To the op, if Johnson said mahomes was the BEST, he's wrong. I believe he said MOST TALENTED. that's a different discussion.

Diablo....you have a point....up to a point. It is true that Bob Lilly was in the 275lb range....but you dont think that he would have been a 300 pounder with todays training methods? Todays athletes train 12 months a year. In those days theywere completely off from January to July...I also suspect that Howley and Leeroy would time way less than 5.1....Hell...Hollywood Henderson ran about a 4.5 and he weighed over 240.....For that matter, he was the Cowboys punt returner.

I do see to your point and what you are saying is true....but not entirely accurate.

Y'all need to stop. Linebackers that ran 5.1s, defensive linemen that weighed 260 and playedagainst offensive linemen that weighed 225. Seriously, stop. Greatness transcends-- earl, Darrell green, Deion.... All good. But some of those others y'all are touting were great FOR THEIR ERA.

To the op, if Johnson said mahomes was the BEST, he's wrong. I believe he said MOST TALENTED. that's a different discussion.
Errrrrr-- read my headline again. Then read my comment again. You'll clearly see the word "talented" used more than once.

Here’s an interesting article about Randy White. I’d heard the story about him putting Hollywood Henderson in his place but not sure I’d heard the one about handling Charles Haleyhttps://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2009/6/13/907531/was-a-cowboy-the-meanest-guy-in
I had a buddy that used to work up at a steel plant in Grand Prairie,TX. Randy White was a big spokesperson for their company and would come in frequently and visit with employees. My buddy said he had the biggest hands he had ever seen. Makes sense how he used to throw those offensive lineman around like rag dolls!

Reactions: Belldozer1
They had a lot of HoF talent everyone knows that. But imho the only players on the Landry defenses that played with a nasty streak were Cliff Harris and Thomas Henderson. That's not to say they were finesse players because they weren't. And it's not like they avoided collisions. It's complicated but I always felt there was something missing physically.
Look at Joe Klecko getting worked by Randy White in this attached video. White was as nasty as they come.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT