ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (The Women of the SEC)

Two things… couldn’t agree more on the CBS pregame and broadcast overall. Flat and uninspiring…

The Mongo video… lots of onions dammit! Met him a long time ago in Austin with Doug English and a few other greats. Mountain of a man…

F*** ALS!

Two things: Russell was a physical freak. Extremely quick and incredibly athletic. (Just didn't have a great offensive game.)

You're right about Brady. He was not physically gifted in any way special. His main feature was his brain. He just got it done by always knowing where to go with the ball.

If you don’t think Brady’s arm talent was special, well……

Two things: Russell was a physical freak. Extremely quick and incredibly athletic. (Just didn't have a great offensive game.)

You're right about Brady. He was not physically gifted in any way special. His main feature was his brain. He just got it done by always knowing where to go with the ball.
Don’t undersell it. Brady was an assassin. Cold as ice under pressure. Rarely made a mistake in crunch time. Clutch gene. These qualities are shared by Jordan and are essential qualities in any GOAT discussion. Obviously athleticism isn’t.

(Buy) That's a big part of why he came to Texas in the first place.

Sell Arch will have 3 great years. 4 straight NC!!! Quinn than three peat with Arch. Than Steve Sarkisian will leave to the team that is drafting Number 1 overall that year to Coach Arch in the NFL. And he will truly have Arch's name on his tombstone like you have said before.

See Ya Reaction GIF by WWE

Reactions: horns--21
Mahomes isn’t even the best athlete playing QB today.
Maybe not the best athlete but he still has the elite of the elite arm that he showed in college. Some guys can probably throw it farther but few can use that arm in the context of a game like he can from all sorts of angles.

================================================================
And now Steve McMichael.

When talking about the thousands upon thousands of players that have suited up as players for the Texas Longhorns in the program’s history, only five have ever been named to the NFL Hall of Fame. At a time when we've been asking ourselves where T'Vondre Sweat fits among the greats in the program's history, an honor like this for Mongo McMichael means that he's been elevated to a different tier of greatness among the burnt orange giants in the sport.

While Landry was a very good pro player in the 50s, the truth is that he made the NFL primarily for his accomplishes as a coach, which means that McMichael and Dillon are the only two former Texas defensive players to make the HOF for their exploits as a player.

For those unfamiliar with his exploits as a Texas player, McMichael was a unanimous All-American in 1979 on a defense that allowed fewer than nine points per game. When he graduated from Texas, he departed as the UT all-time leader in tackles (369) and sacks (30), while also posting 40 career tackles for loss, 99 quarterback pressures and 11 forced fumbles.

In a lot of ways, he's kind of become a forgotten giant among giants. Those days are over.

It's a bittersweet reality that he didn't make the HOF before a battle with ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease) robbed him of the opportunity to truly celebrate the moment the way that he would have wanted to, which includes being able to give his own acceptance speech.

==================================================================

So proud of Steve McMichael. He was likely the best of an outstanding group of freshmen that DKR brought in in 1976 (which was also my freshman year as a student) I lived in Jester my first two years, so I saw a lot of these guys frequently.

Lam Jones
Johnny Johnson
Ricky Churchman
Mark McBath
Lance Taylor
Derrick Hatchett
Wes Hubert
and Jimmy Johnson @Tug29

Plus several others I cannot remember off the top of my head...feel free anyone to add to this list.

DKR certainly left Fred with a lot of talent to work with.
Good stuff. Feels like whatever class Earl was in was the most talented class just because of Earl. ;)

Then call Mahomes LeBron James. The more important metric for comparison IMO is that Brady and Jordan are the best to ever do it and no one will ever be better. That’s what we should mean when we say someone is the Jordan of something . Not that someone is on par athletically.
How do you know that Brady will never be caught?

Umm that Earl and Bobby Dillon are the only two horns that earned the hall by play on the field. (Not even sure how Layne would have earned it otherwise. Although there isn’t a list of toughest players of all time without Layne on the list.)

Neither had as good a career as Layne in the NFL, in my opinion. Yes, even knowing Earls dominance over that 3-4 year period.
DEFENSIVE players.

How do you know that Brady will never be caught?
I seriously doubt he will, but that part is irrelevant anyway. The point being that you can’t really call someone the “Jordan” of a sport if they aren’t the best to ever play that sport. That’s like, science.

I think that “Make You Feel My Love” should be on any Dylan list….other than that, no arguments.

Reactions: Ketchum
I seriously doubt he will, but that part is irrelevant anyway. The point being that you can’t really call someone the “Jordan” of a sport if they aren’t the best to ever play that sport. That’s like, science.
I think Mahomes' peak might be higher than Brady's.

I enjoyed my limited time with Steve here in Austin. A few years younger than me, but I knew instantly he was one of a kind. So fun, and funny. Absolutely one of the best ever

I think Mahomes' peak might be higher than Brady's.
Again, immaterial to my point. You acknowledged that Brady is the GOAT. That makes him the Jordan of the NFL currently.

Now if you want to have a different debate, I’d argue that so many stars have to align just right for a QB to win 7 or more Super Bowls that I don’t think anyone will ever do it again. Even if Mahomes does have the ability.

Again, immaterial to my point. You acknowledged that Brady is the GOAT. That makes him the Jordan of the NFL currently.

Now if you want to have a different debate, I’d argue that so many stars have to align just right for a QB to win 7 or more Super Bowls that I don’t think anyone will ever do it again. Even if Mahomes does have the ability.
Jordas was more than just being the best player. There was a "wow" factor that he had that Mahomes has more than Brady.

Like Jordan, Mahomes does stuff as a player/talent that we've never seen before. Brady never did that.

Reactions: thismutch
Jordas was more than just being the best player. There was a "wow" factor that he had that Mahomes has more than Brady.

Like Jordan, Mahomes does stuff as a player/talent that we've never seen before. Brady never did that.
I completely understand where you’re coming from, and I don’t disagree. I see those same things.

I’m saying that the definition of being the “Jordan” of any sport, first and foremost, is being the best to ever do it. And in the NFL that’s Thomas Edward Patrick Brady, Jr.

I completely understand where you’re coming from, and I don’t disagree. I see those same things.

I’m saying that the definition of being the “Jordan” of any sport, first and foremost, is being the best to ever do it. And in the NFL that’s Thomas Edward Patrick Brady, Jr.
Just about the same time as we debut the GOAT...another one will appear.

ee0e3a40b744e2eebc3b4d949eaa9055x.jpg

Full disclosure: The lede of this week's column didn't exactly turn out as I expected.

With the announcement this week that Texas football coach Steve Sarkisian had promoted Taylor Searels from her position of Director of Recruiting Operations to Director of Recruiting, I was prepared to write a section proclaiming that Searels had suddenly positioned herself to become one of the most influential women in all of college football.

After all, the role that she was assuming in the Texas Football program was previously held by the person (Brandon Harris) who just became the program's first-ever general manager, which would strongly indicate that the role she's assuming is regarded as a critically important one, even if most of those reading this don't know what the responsibilities are that come with it.

qgmM5S-S_400x400.jpg

For those wondering, the position serves the role of managing the entire football recruiting operation, while overseeing roster management, projected roster numbers, managing the football recruiting budget, advising the Texas coaches on all administrative areas involving recruiting and overseeing all administrative recruiting duties.

In the history of the Texas football program, no woman has ever served in a higher capacity.

Yet, it turns out that the actual hiring of a woman in this role isn't that big of a deal. Even in the SEC, a half-dozen women already own similar roles. Here's the list of women that Searles has joined:

* Arkansas: Sierra Griffin (Director of Recruiting)
* Florida: Skylar Wise (Director of Football Recruiting & External Engagement)
* Kentucky - Danielle Braswell (Executive Director of Recruiting)
* Miss State: Andrea Hollis (Director/Recruiting Strategy)
* Ole Miss: MacKenzie Morris (Director of Recruiting)
* Vanderbilt: Bella Baker (Director of Recruiting)

If there was a glass ceiling for women in the world of college football behind the scenes in administration, it's clearly been shattered. On top of the women taking over 37.5% of the Director of Recruiting jobs in the country, you've got two more women (Arkansas's Amanda Gilpin and LSU's Jas Smith) who serve as Directors of Football Operations at their respective schools.

As far as I can tell, the only SEC school that doesn't have a woman in a fairly high managerial position is Oklahoma, which has Latosha Carillo as its highest-ranking women in the program as the administrative assistant to the head coach.

It's probably safe to assume that a woman will eventually land a general manager position. Perhaps the real question is whether we'll see a woman land a job as a Director of Player Personnel, which seems exclusively reserved for men at this stage of things. Other than that specific role, along with on-field coaching positions, everything else seems to currently be on the table.

The question that I've had in my mind all week is what comes next for Searels if she continues to be the "rock star" that people in and around the Texas football program have described her to be this week. In 3-5 years from now, might she be considered for the general manager position if Harris eventually leaves for another job ... let's say in the NFL? Given Steve Sarkisian's desire to hire from within, as evidenced this week, it can't be ruled out as a strong possibility.

(Note: For those wondering, here's a look at the rest of the schools in the SEC and the highest-ranking woman in football administration at each school.)

* Alabama: Brandy Lyerle/Ashleigh Kimble (Associate Directors of Football/Recruiting Operations)
* Auburn: Bianca Webb (Director of Recruiting Operations & Football Events)
* Georgia: Anna Courson (Assistant Director of Football Operations/Recruiting)
* Missouri: Olivia Ohlsen.(Director of Recruiting Ops)
* Oklahoma: Latosha Carillo (Administrative Assistant to the Head Coach)
* South Carolina: Jessica Jackson (Director of On-Campus Recruiting)
* Tennessee: Janae Simmonds (Assistant Director of Recruiting)
* Texas A&M: Kayla Hudson (Director of Recruiting Operations)

No. 2 - Five quotes on Texas players to get your blood flowing ...

I had a chance to chat with a source this weekend about a number of players in the program and figured that it might be exactly the kind of section that can help get through a day or two of a long off-season (it's been more than a month since the last Texas game).

Enjoy.

On Arch Manning: "I don't want to say that I doubted Arch, but it took some time before he fully settled in and I kind of wondered if those people that questioned his No. 1 ranking were right. Why do I bring all of this up? Because I don't think there's a player in the program that has made more improvement since the start of last season. Towards the end of the season, you could see the improvement taking place every day. He's going to be really good and I can tell you that some people really want to see him on the field more. If Maalik Murphy hadn't left, he would have been passed on the depth chart in the spring. He's going to be great."

On Kelvin Banks: "This is his team as far as I'm concerned. If you want to know who is taking over some of the leadership that we've lost, look no further. He helps set the pace of every single day."

On Terrance Brooks: "I think the best thing that might have happened to him is that he's felt a little doubted in this off-season. I spoke with (a Texas coach) yesterday and he mentioned that Brooks is attacking the off-season in a different way than he did last year. Maybe he's just a year older and this is what comes with that maturation, but he's transforming from kid to young man right now. I'm excited to see him on the field in the spring."

On Derion Gullette: "Get all the stock you can get. I can't say that he's going to blow up this season (2024), but that kid excited people. He just has to figure it out on the field and that's going to come."

On DeAndre Moore: "It doesn't seem like many people think of him when the topic of wide receivers comes up, but that's a really good football player and he only needs chances. We've got to get him on the field because he's not going to sit around forever on the sideline. I do not want to lose him, I know that."

No. 3 - SEC Win Totals for 2024 ...

FanDuel has updated its 2024 college football win totals betting odds, take a look:

Georgia – 10.5
Texas – 10.5
Alabama – 9.5
LSU – 9.5
Missouri – 9.5
Ole Miss – 9.5
Tennessee – 8.5
Texas A&M – 8.5
Auburn – 7.5
Oklahoma – 7.5
Kentucky – 6.5
Arkansas – 5.5
Florida – 5.5
South Carolina – 5.5
Mississippi State – 4.5
Vanderbilt – 2.5

If we break things down by the teams on the Texas schedule, it looks like this:

vs. Colorado State (no listing)
at Michigan - 9.5
vs. UTSA (no listing)
vs. La-Monroe (no listing)
vs. Mississippi State - 4.5
vs. Oklahoma - 7.5
vs. Georgia - 10.5
at Vanderbilt - 3.5
vs. Florida - 5.5
at Arkansas - 5.5
vs. Kentucky - 6.5
at Texas A&M - 8.5

While the schedule is full of games that could prove to be very tricky on the field, only four of the power five teams on the schedule have odds higher than 7.5.

No. 4 - Mongo Immortalized ...

Earl Campbell. Bobby Dillon. Tom Landry. Bobby Layne.

And now Steve McMichael.

When talking about the thousands upon thousands of players that have suited up as players for the Texas Longhorns in the program’s history, only five have ever been named to the NFL Hall of Fame. At a time when we've been asking ourselves where T'Vondre Sweat fits among the greats in the program's history, an honor like this for Mongo McMichael means that he's been elevated to a different tier of greatness among the burnt orange giants in the sport.

While Landry was a very good pro player in the 50s, the truth is that he made the NFL primarily for his accomplishes as a coach, which means that McMichael and Dillon are the only two former Texas defensive players to make the HOF for their exploits as a player.

For those unfamiliar with his exploits as a Texas player, McMichael was a unanimous All-American in 1979 on a defense that allowed fewer than nine points per game. When he graduated from Texas, he departed as the UT all-time leader in tackles (369) and sacks (30), while also posting 40 career tackles for loss, 99 quarterback pressures and 11 forced fumbles.

In a lot of ways, he's kind of become a forgotten giant among giants. Those days are over.

It's a bittersweet reality that he didn't make the HOF before a battle with ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease) robbed him of the opportunity to truly celebrate the moment the way that he would have wanted to, which includes being able to give his own acceptance speech.

Incredibly, he's determined to be in Canton, but if he doesn't make it he’ll forever be remembered in there.

And in Austin. The gold jacket has a way of making sure of that.

No. 5 - California (and Georgia) Dreaming ...

Yes, the Texas Longhorns are heading southeast, as Steve Sarkisian mentioned in his signing day press conference on Wednesday.

Yes, the Longhorns have a great desire to steal more talent out of states like Georgia, Florida, Mississippi and Louisiana.

Yet, it seems pretty obvious to me that the critical talent-producing state that is the most ripe for pillaging is the state of California

Check out where the top 10 prospects from the 2024 class signed:

421223039_922546622414973_8997247732594983680_n.jpg

Not a single one stayed in state. Alabama got 3. Oregon got 3. Texas, Georgia, Notre Dame and Auburn all got 1.

In fact, only three of the state's top-20 prospects decided to stay home. USC got two of those and UCLA got one.

All of the investing in Mater Dei and John Bosco will continue to provide dividends. It feels like you can take that to the bank.

Meanwhile, when one takes a look at the SEC states that the Longhorns are trying to invade with success, they'll see LSU signing nine of the state's top-10 prospects from the state of Louisiana, while the Mississippi schools signed six of the top seven from in-state schools and eight of the top 11.

To no one's surprise, Florida is pretty much a free-for-all, as only three of the state's top 10 decided to stay in-state, yet if there's a shocker to be found, it might be that nine of the top 10 kids from the state of Georgia decided to leave the state.

Damn, Kirby, what the hell?

421109434_1583841692380067_6671284437394645610_n.jpg

Maybe Sark knows exactly what he's doing by continuing to target that state, even if the Longhorns haven't signed a player from Georgia this century that has played in more than four games.

It'll be fascinating to see if the hire of Kenny Baker can be the lightning rod that starts to create some sustainable success.

Still, the smart money is still out West, even as the Longhorns start to head out East.

No. 6 – Texas Softball Starts The Season With a Bang …

The UCLA softball program has won 12 national titles, played in 22 national title games and has been to the College World Series 29 times.

On Saturday, the Bruins were put to the sword by the Texas softball team to the tune of a 16-1 maiming. It represented the worst loss in the history of the UCLA program. The Longhorns hit two grand slams in the game, marking the first time since 2013 that that trick had been pulled.

It's hard to imagine a better start to the season could have occurred as Texas dominated San Diego and No. 8 UCLA by a combined score of 54-3 in its opening four games of the season.

We'll find out just what kind of potential national title chops the Longhorns might have next weekend when the team takes on No. 2 Tennessee and No. 3 Stanford down in Clearwater, Florida.

For now, it feels like those teams should be warned ... be careful with this group. Be very careful.

No. 7 – BUY or SELL …

buy-or-sell-stock-ideas-by-experts-for-december-05-2019.jpg

(Sell) By the end of the summer, maybe. By the end of June? I think they'll be under. They only had 8 going into July last year.

(Buy) At some point, someone from the esteemed 2022 offensive line class will probably depart. Even if they all stay, it's not hard to imagine that someone buried on the depth chart will bail.

(Buy) That's a big part of why he came to Texas in the first place.

(Buy) He certainly seems to think so, calling his commitment to winning a national title an "obsession" this week.

(Sell) Maybe I'll end up being wrong on one of these guys, but I expect all four to be on the roster in 2024.

(Sell) I think the guy is a superstar.

(Buy) The Longhorns are definitely in the mix, along with A&M, OU, USC, Michigan and even Kentucky. Gotta get him on campus in the spring ... for sure.

(Buy) I guess. It's hard to completely speak on a total unknown without it feeling like we're wishing it to be true, but Bo didn't set the bar high.

(Buy) I expect the passing game to be better in 2024.

p.s. - I don't think the running game improved from 2022 to 2023. The blocking was better on the whole, but not even Jonathon Brooks was at the level of Bijan Robinson and CJ Baxter wasn't as good as Roschon Johnson. The average yards per carry for the team dropped from 5.2 to 5.0 in 2023 from 2022.

(Sell) Give me Trey Moore to lead the team in sacks, while Isiaiah Bond leads the team in receiving yards.

(Buy) A Sweet 16 bid feels almost automatic and the level that they've been playing for the last few weeks makes me think they'll win a game away from home to get them in the Elite 8.

(Sell) In the previous five games to Saturday, he scored 0, 6, 5, 10 and 5 points, respectively.

(Buy) I think so ... but I don't know so.

No. 8 - Super Bowl randomness ...

I'll update this section throughout the night, as the game unfolds.

Stay tuned,

* I hate to start out my thoughts in a negative way, but can we all just admit that CBS has one boring-ass pre-game show. My goodness, I couldn't take it.

* I can't help it, I love Jason Kelce. I don't care if this isn't real.

* Don't get mad at me, but the Post Malone/Reba performances were just kind of ok for me. Meh.

* Players, no holding!

* Ok, Twisters (the movie sequel) triggers me.

* Thank you, Carl, indeed.

* Come on, Travis Kelce, shake it off.

* That was some kind of ballsy play-call by Kyle Shanahan on the throwback touchdown pass to Christian McCaffery. That could have been a disaster, but it broke the game open, instead.

* The Dunkings!!!
GGGQmStWAAAqfC6

* Jason Kelce is running off on Taylor...

* Usher entertained me. There were roller skates, Lil' Jon, lots of sweating, Alicia Keys looking fine in red and songs from my late 20s and early 30s. I give it an 8.5 out of 10.

* Man, it's just not happening for the Chiefs.

* Is Brock Purdy the 2.0 version of Bob Griese?

* The Chiefs need to draft Xavier Worthy in a big, bad way.

* Beyonce' just announced that she's releasing a new country album on 3/29. The 2025 CMAs are going to be fire.
GGGkY-zXUAAGGxE

* I think I prefer Troy Aikman on the mic more than Tony Romo. Maybe by a lot. That doesn't mean that Romo drives me crazy or anything, but Aikman is just a better color guy. (Note: I thought Romo had a very good performance tonight, especially at the end of the game.)

* Super Bowl MVP?

* Tie-game with 5:46 to go. Someone is going to have a Jackie Smith moment. You can feel it coming.

* Moody for MVP? My gosh, he smoked that 53-yarder.

* Butker for MVP?

* O-V-E-R-T-I-M-E!!!!!!

* Dez knows.

* OH MY, GOD, MAHOMES!!!!! HE'S GOING TO DO IT!!!!

* MAHOMES DID IT! A WALK OFF IN OVERTIME!

* Tom Brady is the GOAT at this point, but we've never seen anything like Mahomes. He's the price who was promised. Six seasons as a starter. Three Super Bowl titles. Three Super Bowl MVPs. Six straight AFC title games. Romo calls him the Michael Jordan of the sport and he's not wrong.

* Kyle Shanahan is a personal favorite of mine, but the Super Bowl is not his friend.

No. 9 – Scattershooting on anything and everything …

... I wonder if the Longhorns will have an interest in UCLA starting nose-tackle Jay Toia should he want to enter the Portal for a second time (transferred from USC in 2021). The 6-3, 325-pound Toia has started 24 games in the last two seasons for the Bruins and was coached by Texas co-defensive coordinator Johnny Nansen during the 2021 season. Just thinking out loud ...

... Yikes!

... This was pretty great.

... Caitlan Clark is so good that I tuned into the end of the Iowa/Nebraska game on Sunday because of her.

... Man, the Mavs beat the Thunder like they stole something from their momma on Saturday night.

... Steph Curry from way downtown ... BANG!

... Scottie Scheffler made a good run for a three-peat in Scottsdale for the TPC Scottsdale, but ran out of steam on Sunday.

... I have less than 100 days of Jurgen Klopp at Liverpool and I would be incredibly thankful if the injury gods took it easy on us. Pretty please.

... Is this the year that Bayern Munich get dethroned in the Bundesliga? Leverkusen completely played Munich off the pitch on Saturday and the lead is now five points for Xabi Alonso's team. It's exactly the kind of game that Dortmund would have lost 3-0, but the shoe was on the other foot this weekend.

No. 10 - Top 10: Bob Freaking Dylan ...

uurth7hu4g891.jpg

If you haven't seen Netflix's documentary "We Are The World", which focuses on the one-night challenge of recording one of the most iconic gatherings of music giants we've ever known, you're missing out.
It's good stuff.

One of the highlights of the documentary focuses on the discomfort of Bob Dylan, who seemed lost and completely uncomfortable while surrounded by many of the greatest voices in the history of modern music. Eventually, Stevie Wonder helps him find his comfort zone inside his solo part and all ends well.

Yet, it seems like some (on Orangebloods) have used the moment to question his chops as one of the most important song-writers/performers of the 20th century, Therefore, it felt like the perfect time to do a Dylan list.

Honorable mention: All Along the Watchtower, Girl From The North Country, Every Grain of Sand, Tangled Up In Blue, I Shall Be Released, It's Alright, Ma, Idiot Wind, Subterranean Homesick Blues, Not Dark Yet, Just Like a Woman, Positively Fourth Street, and A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall

10. Blind Willie McTell

I only heard this song for the first time this week, but it's so good that I had to include it in my Top 10.

9. The Times Are-A-Changing

I really wanted to sneak Tangled Up In Blue into the Top 10, but I just personally favor this song a little more.

8. Hurricane

Maybe it's the Dazed and Confused needle drop, but this has always been a personal favorite and it is generally regarded as his best work in the 1970s. It's great storytelling.

7. Pledging my Time

A personal favorite of mine that won't be ranked this high by many, but what can I say ... I love a great blues jam.

6. Visions of Johanna

Bono once told Rolling Stone Magazine: “It’s extraordinary. He writes this whole song seemingly about this one girl, with these remarkable descriptions of her, but this isn’t the girl who’s on his mind! It’s somebody else!”

5. Rainy Day Women #12 and 35

Some Dylan snobs will tell you that this song weakened an otherwise perfect Blonde on Blonde album, but I couldn't disagree more. It's Dylan having a honky-tonk-inspired good time and when does he ever give us that? It's a damn banger and maybe my favorite Dylan song to actually listen to outside of the song in the No. 1 spot.

4. Desolation Row

Per Wikipedia: In 2010, Rolling Stone ranked "Desolation Row" at number 187 on their "500 Greatest Songs of All Time" list; the song was re-ranked at number 83 in the 2021 revision of the list. In 2020, The Guardian and GQ ranked the song number five and number three, respectively, on their lists of the 50 greatest Bob Dylan songs.

3. Mr. Tambourine Man

The song that sent Dylan to the moon, from folk hero to superstar.

2. Blowin' in the Wind

The song is so great that it inspired Sam Cooke to write "A Change is Gonna Come". Maybe the greatest protest song of all-time.

1. Like a Rolling Stone

It's only one of the greatest songs ever created. Rolling Stone Magazine ranked it as the GOAT back in 2010, before dropping it to No. 4 in its 2021 re-rankings.
Dylan will always be the voice of the 60’s generation (like me), and I remember vividly the first time I heard Like a Rolling Stone on the radio which is an anthem for my generation. Unfortunately, as a on stage performer he is incredibly awful. Worst concert I ever attended.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT