ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (A chance for Omenihu and Co. to right some wrongs...)

While my good buddy Kiki was a linebacker with the Gamblers, and then with the Bengals, he was actually a defensive end at Texas.
Over 40 career sacks.
Very impressive that you would list him that high. He continues to be passed over for the Ring of Honor, which makes no sense to me.
I was under the impression that he played defensive end in his final season at Texas, but had played linebacker before that, similar to Sergio Kindle.

He could easily have been on the DE, and if I moved him,I'd probably add Robin Sendlein to the No.10 spot.

Reactions: HkmTxsLnghrns
Leading should be 2 spots higher after Shankle and ahead of Allert.

I'd push Malik down to 8 - seems a bit of recency bias as his physical skills were mesmerizing, but he jumped the wrong gap too often.
Malik is the second best linebacker of the last 30 years.

Let's give that its due recognition because none of those dudes are playing in front of him in 2018.

No love for Brian Jones in the top 10? Im not sure Brian Jones is top 10 all-time, but I know he was better than Harris or Hicks at Texas.
He was definitely considered.

I would disagree that he was better than two All-Americans.

Did Hicks actually play enough to make the top 10? Didn't he really just have one impactful season due to injuries? And I remember that season as very good and consistent but not great.
He was an All-American. Those players that made it to that level received special consideration from me.

blank-stare-a-friend.gif
I feel like Suchome's BAC is underestimated on days when the Steelersclimb out of a 16-0 hole.:D

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I have NEVER thought of that game in Lawrence when thinking about Omenihu. I think about a lower ranked kid being the leader of his recruiting class. I think about a kid who improved each year he was on the 40, even though he was constantly surrounded by chaos and change. I think about a player that had everything set to enter the draft after his junior year, changed his mind because he believed in Texas, the staff, and himself. I'll mostly remember how he played this year. Those crazy 3 or 4 play sequences where he would just completely take over a game, we're talking TFL then back to back sacks, or TFL then sack fumble, or sack followed by a TFL and a safety. When he flipped the switch he had a real beast mode.

I think the majority of folks on here are going to remember Omenihu like I do.. Not some BS that happened 2 years ago under the biggest coaching failure in program history. Besides, there were more than a few on here that had made their deal with the devil that evening and were rooting for a Kansas win. When you do something like that, you're not goimg to remember what a sophomore DE did.
a lower ranked kid?

@Ketchum i think you absolutely have to throw Naivar into the discussion as a potential HC candidate for TXST. Both Wash and Naivar coached there together and were known for their stout secondary and relationship with their players.
I don't put him on the level of Washington.

Only a few comments here.

First, Keenan Robinson was better than Jordan Hicks and way ahead of Aaron Harris. In fact, I would place Manny Acho ahead of Aaron Harris and on par with Jordan Hicks.

Second, Derrick Johnson was better than Nobis.

Third, Kiki was a DE.

Lastly, and wondering aloud here, if Malik had returned for his senior year and had a big year as I imagine he would have, then I surmise we'd be talking about him being in 3rd and maybe even higher. What if?
First, I love Keenan, but he was never an All-American like the other two.

Second, Tough to compare the two, but I won't fight you on DJ.

Third, I should have left him for the DE list.

Reactions: horns--21
Malik at 6? Absolutely crazy. I can’t see him in the top 10. Never saw a guy miss more tackles.
It's like it took you only a few months to forget how much better he made the defense a year ago when he was Big 12 Defender of the Year, something only one other Texas linebacker has accomplished.

Reactions: horns--21
That's fine, but Herman went 6-6 last year. Again, not horrible.

Even if the ags beat LSU, they will not have beaten any team they were not favored to beat. They were favored against Kentucky and are also favored to beat LSU.
Decent season for atm only if they beat LSU.

Even if the ags beat LSU, they will not have beaten any team they were not favored to beat. They were favored against Kentucky and are also favored to beat LSU.
Decent season for atm only if they beat LSU.
very similar to Herman's first season.

What will be remembered is that on what is arguably the worst loss in the history of the Texas program (I'd still choose Baylor in 1989),

The reality is Lawrence in 2016 was the proverbial one giant step back to take 10 giant steps forward. The '89 Baylor debacle didn't force a change so it's infinitely a much worse loss than Lawrence when you consider what came out of it. Yes, losing to KU sucked at the time, but I think even then, plenty of folks on here took solace that it very likely was going to force a much needed change.

Reactions: Buffalosoldiers
Coleman isn't just struggling early in his second season in Austin, he's been poor.

I think he needs to get back to doing what he does best and that's facilitate. Not sure if he's forcing 3s because they want him to shoot them more, but that's currently not the strength of this game.

The reality is Lawrence in 2016 was the proverbial one giant step back to take 10 giant steps forward. The '89 Baylor debacle didn't force a change so it's infinitely a much worse loss than Lawrence when you consider what came out of it. Yes, losing to KU sucked at the time, but I think even then, plenty of folks on here took solace that it very likely was going to force a much needed change.
It shoved the heap of trash over the mountain.

... Kyler Murray is a fantastic football player, truly fantastic, but when I saw the Bo Jackson inspired photo this week that he paid homage to, all I could wonder is how he's avoided being broken in half this season. I guess you can't break what you can't catch.
It also helps that he just falls down at the first whiff of contact.

worse than Charlie Weis?

Man, forgot about Weis. Huge flop. Was he as highly thought of as Miles? I feel like Miles carries this status of being one of the legends of CFB that is totally undeserving and going to Kansas has disaster written all over it. I could be wrong and this is just my dislike of Miles showing through.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT