ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (An open letter to Sark)

So, if Rice, Wyoming, and Alabama win out (strangely, Alabama seems the least likely right now) do they help our strength of schedule? And in the rear view look like better wins in the end?

Thanks for the writeup. Now that we've established a trend in limiting sark's offense with a 335, or extra safety, what kind of passing plays work against that defense? obviously running is the primary option, but just curious what passing attack can defeat it? sure hope he starts gameplanning that in practice, since it looks like it'll keep coming up.

Growing up with Merle and Willie in heavy rotation in the playlist, I have never made "Pancho and Lefty" part of Merle's library. He sings less than one full verse... it's a GREAT song, but Merle is making an appearance on a Willie song.
Duets count!

just a few thoughts

Not shocked the team was flat after the past 7-8 days. This team has no previous experience on how to deal with top 5 level success hopefully it was a learning teaching moment.

The play calling was a mess, no way to candy coat it. One of the things with Sark it seems is if its a game like Bama you will get all of the wrinkles, motions and gadgets but if its not a "big" game you will get the 7th grade b-team play sheet.

Ketch has pointed out Texas has had a steady and healthy number of kids leave the program every off season. I think with the way Texas is starting to stack up some talent this might be the off season we start to see some solid (not super high level) players recognize they are being recruited over and look for opportunities for themselves. Texas has very few of those "why was he offered " kids anymore and they will want to find a way on the field somewhere.

This might just be me and something I'm nit picking....I fell like I see Jake Majors standing around at the end of a play looking over a pile doing nothing than any player I can ever remember.

the WR rotation drives me nuts. (probably just something I'm not understanding )But I see the DE/DL rotation and were are bringing in bodies right and left but at the wr position were asking Worthey, Mitchell and Whittington to run 60-70 full-blown snaps.

I'm excited to see the Southwest conference scum start to fall off the schedule some of this shit has been latched on bringing nothing to the table for going on 40 yrs. Baylor will get their last big crowd payday off Texas.
Totally agree with your take on Majors.

Thanks for the thoughts Ketch
I see Saban announced Milroe as his starting QB interesting deal seeing how he didn't play 1 down against USF
We need to play a good game against Baylor not only for the win but just to build confidence that we are a top 5 team also the refs will try to screw us in Waco we can't be in a close game late

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you Big 12 officials!!!!!!
Do you actually remember a situation years ago against OSU when Texas had clearly gotten past the marker by the initial spot of the ball based on the yard marker and they started to bring out the chains for good measure and as the chains are apprroaching, the ref goes up and literally looks down and moves the ball backwards a yard just before they got there to put the sticks down. I couldn’t believe it when I saw it. Like did he really just do that so blatantly?

So, if Rice, Wyoming, and Alabama win out (strangely, Alabama seems the least likely right now) do they help our strength of schedule? And in the rear view look like better wins in the end?
sure, it would help

After last Saturday's wake-up call, I'm feeling very good about this game with Baylor. One thing is certain, though...the Big XII officials will find some way to screw us. So the solution is simple: rout the Bears so thoroughly that a bad officiating call or two won't impact the game in any way.

After last Saturday's wake-up call, I'm feeling very good about this game with Baylor. One thing is certain, though...the Big XII officials will find some way to screw us. So the solution is simple: rout the Bears so thoroughly that a bad officiating call or two won't impact the game in any way.
Yup, can't let it be close enough that ineptitude can take it from you.

@Ketchum Is Sark’s philosophy of not rotating receivers going to be used against us in recruiting? Have you formed an opinion on Chris Jackson the recruiter yet?

Last edited:
Reactions: more_bourbon
Haha you’re dancing around. do you or don’t you acknowledge that Sark has a problem attacking defenses in the air who are playing 3 high safeties. He has to run it well in those games or we’ve been screwed

It’s kind of a trap question though? 3 high safeties, match concepts, 3 down front, the answer is running the ball. If you can’t run it you have to throw it right in to the teeth of the defense. And that’s more complicated than a play call or QB making the right read. Line has to hold up longer, WR’s and TE’s have to settle in to zones and TBH it’s schematically suited to defend against a Sark type offense who seems to love layers and and long drag/over routes. Add accuracy issues and the passing game gets messy.

Running the ball isn’t as easy as it sounds. Trap corners and pressures coming from distance make identification difficult for an O-line where 1-2 are going to be required to block a much smaller but faster defender. Once our O-line settled in to what they were seeing we ran the ball well.

As much as we don’t like to see a struggle, those reps are significant with ISU on the schedule and others capable of deploying that scheme.

It’s kind of a trap question though? 3 high safeties, match concepts, 3 down front, the answer is running the ball. If you can’t run it you have to throw it right in to the teeth of the defense. And that’s more complicated than a play call or QB making the right read. Line has to hold up longer, WR’s and TE’s have to settle in to zones and TBH it’s schematically suited to defend against a Sark type offense who seems to love layers and and long drag/over routes. Add accuracy issues and the passing game gets messy.

Running the ball isn’t as easy as it sounds. Trap corners and pressures coming from distance make identification difficult for an O-line where 1-2 are going to be required to block a much smaller but faster defender. Once our O-line settled in to what they were seeing we ran the ball well.

As much as we don’t like to see a struggle, those reps are significant with ISU on the schedule and others capable of deploying that scheme.
I’m just surprised Ketch won’t admit that it has given Sark nonstop problems passing the ball. I agree with you, if we can’t run we are sunk. We haven’t had the most success running against that defense either

I’m just surprised Ketch won’t admit that it has given Sark nonstop problems passing the ball. I agree with you, if we can’t run we are sunk. We haven’t had the most success running against that defense either

Good defenses give offenses problems when those offenses aren't very good and don't have plus-quarterback play.

Good defenses give offenses problems when those offenses aren't very good and don't have plus-quarterback play.
Mac Jones passer rating was the lowest against Arkansas in 2020. Explain

I’d be willing to bet you see a similar trend at Texas under Sark vs teams running 3 high (ISU, OSU, TCU, etc)

Last edited:
The 52-3 game in which Mac Jones completed 24 of 29 passes?
Correct, he averaged a whopping 7.1 yards per attempt and had zero touchdowns. It was a season low on yards and touchdowns for a guy who had a 203 season rating. Could it be that the 3 high defense was a problem for him passing the ball?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT