ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (An open letter to Sark)

If Sark and the Horns learned anything from this game it needs to be this--Its not going to be enough to win this year,you can not afford for games to even be close,not with the Big 12 refs,the Big 12 is going to do everything it can to see anyone but Texas or OU go out as Champions.

The only way UT is going to win is if they dominate every game,if its close you are going to lose by bad calls, this is obvious to anyone paying attention. You are going to get really bad calls and you have to respond and score again to the point it makes them look stupid. They dont seem to mind looking stupid some,but even they wont risk their jobs if you keep throwing it back in their face enough. But if its a close game and they can affect the outcome,they will,guarnteed.--utx
seriously. The refs is what you took away?

I share your feelings about this last Baylor game. My first was the 1974 Miracle on the Brazos. It just occurred to me last night that I have been to every one of our Baylor games, home and away, since then. Others can say what they will…it has been a fun series. Plus, McClane Stadium has the best setting in the state.

One of the really dumb calls Sark made was the 3rd and 1 from the Wyoming 20 and we run a double reverse? WTH was Sark doing? I mean we almost lost 20 yards on the play. I don't have a problem if you want to take a shot in the Endzone and then go for it on 4th and 1? Fine. But a double reverse? That's crazy...
well do you want all gas and no brakes or not?

I kind of thought Sark should have been running it more. Brooks was doing well. So that's the opposite of your take. In my mind, Sark was forcing pass because well.....that's what he likes to do.
It's what the team does best... by a lot.

Your reflections on the game plan was spot on. Honest, straightforward. My question is this..,do you believe his staff will do the same. To be great he has to listen. Will they be an honest soundboard or yes guys?
I think it's hard to expect an old dog to learn new tricks. Saturday night was an example of sorts.

No doubt. The problem is I don’t think Texas has quite achieved the type of cumulative talent on their roster to where they are so overwhelmingly better, especially at the QB position, that bad coaching stops mattering. If you look at the 2020 Arkansas game, the passing game played well below their season average, but Sark countered that by running the ball A LOT. Yet, this past Saturday it took him until the 4th quarter to start really exploiting the run game. In future games against the 3-3-5 he needs to do this sooner and not force the passing game if it isn’t there. Michael Griffin and Brian Robison echoed this at halftime.
That's a fair take.

Reactions: texans choice
Sark would have looked a lot better if his quarterback had been accurate and his receivers had caught balls they got their hands on.

And the offensive line hadn't had 3 false starts.

There was a mixture of bad.

Reactions: Horn19
Bijan had 172 yards in his second game. The NFL teams that didn't trade up to get him (Bills, etc.) because "you don't draft an RB that high" simply didn't understand what they could have been getting. Imagine how much better the Bills or the Eagles would be with him as a weapon. With Bijan, the Eagles may well be a favorite to reach the Super Bowl. With Bijan, the Bills would not have lost last week.
Thank God, he's not an Eagle.

I share your feelings about this last Baylor game. My first was the 1974 Miracle on the Brazos. It just occurred to me last night that I have been to every one of our Baylor games, home and away, since then. Others can say what they will…it has been a fun series. Plus, McClane Stadium has the best setting in the state.
The House that Briles built has never set well with me.

AD Mitchell's drop was not that hard a catch. Needs to be made and he'd probably tell you that.
Did he have to turn his body completely against the direction he was moving in, or not?

It was behind him. Period.

I honestly can’t remember ever seeing refs in a major college game ever just botch a spot that badly, by four to five yards. I couldn’t believe it. I’ve seen weird situations where the refs had to review a play to make sure of the spot or I’ve seen them make a mistake because of a penalty or change of possession type situation but that almost always gets corrected prior to the next play. But I’ve never seen a regular play spotted that badly. And they don’t even have to offer up an explanation because refs are protected. However, I have seen the ref move the ball backwards a yard after it was placed down against OSU to help prevent a first down for us.

I honestly can’t remember ever seeing refs in a major college game ever just botch a spot that badly, by four to five yards. I couldn’t believe it. I’ve seen weird situations where the refs had to review a play to make sure of the spot or I’ve seen them make a mistake because of a penalty or change of possession type situation but that almost always gets corrected prior to the next play. But I’ve never seen a regular play spotted that badly. And they don’t even have to offer up an explanation because refs are protected. However, I have seen the ref move the ball backwards a yard after it was placed down against OSU to help prevent a first down for us.
Ladies and gentlemen, I give you Big 12 officials!!!!!!

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you Big 12 officials!!!!!!
The refs can be bad everywhere don’t get me wrong, but I’ve never seen some of the stuff that happens in the big 12 anywhere else. Good riddance.

Reactions: DrHorn98
Do they sell smelling salts at Walgreens?
tonight show elmo GIF

• Haha
Reactions: unihorn
I’ve been watching football for over 5 decades. A lot of football. I think griping about Refs is for losing teams. I have never. Ever. Ever seen an official miss a spot that bad. Not even in Jr High. Pathetic.

They ran for 216 and passed for 227.

It was 38-3 at halftime.
Context matters and it feels as though you’re intentionally ignoring they scored all the points on the ground or in special teams, Arkansas turned the ball over 4 times, and that you said Sark didn’t have a problem with this defensive scheme when he was at Bama. Sure looks to me like his yards per passing attempt suggest otherwise.

Context matters and it feels as though you’re intentionally ignoring they scored all the points on the ground or in special teams, Arkansas turned the ball over 4 times, and that you said Sark didn’t have a problem with this defensive scheme when he was at Bama. Sure looks to me like his yards per passing attempt suggest otherwise.
I didn't ignore anything. I'm the one that keeps adding detail for context.

Growing up with Merle and Willie in heavy rotation in the playlist, I have never made "Pancho and Lefty" part of Merle's library. He sings less than one full verse... it's a GREAT song, but Merle is making an appearance on a Willie song.

I didn't ignore anything. I'm the one that keeps adding detail for context.
Haha you’re dancing around. do you or don’t you acknowledge that Sark has a problem attacking defenses in the air who are playing 3 high safeties. He has to run it well in those games or we’ve been screwed

It's what the team does best... by a lot.
really? there were deep ball questions last year, same coming out of Rice. Then we had the Bama game and hit a few nice ones. Now that's our bread and butter?

Team just needs to be able to take what the defense gives them. J Brooks was running well, but Sark sorta did what he tends to do which is throw to set up the pass. The problem is, if the throws don't work he just keeps doing it.

Wyoming clearly kept many guys back which caused Ewers to dump off and made passing less successful. I'd say the answer was NOT just keep passing deep more.

Reactions: sua sponte
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT