ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (Dakorien Moore, Recruiting Rumors and more)

1. The Sting

It's the original Ocean's 11... a heist movie with cooler than cool movie stars at the height of their powers. Newman and Robert Redford are at their absolute peak and are given the iconic Robert Shaw as their chief foe. It's the rare perfect movie as far as I'm concerned.

==================================================================

I was hoping this was where I would find this. The Sting is my favorite movie of all time.
It's one of the goats,

I just watched Road to Perdition recently. A little jarring seeing Tom Hanks in that sort of role.
I thought it was very slow the first time I saw it in a theater. It was pretty great upon watching it this weekend.

Maybe a George Kennedy list, best actor ever to be a co-star/star with all the guys on your lists. Always owned the scenes as a heavy or a friend to the star.
One of his greatest scenes was in Cool Hand Luke. Watching the girl wash the car. “Oh Lucille, them buttons about to pop off!” Pretty risqué for movie in the 60’s

Just my opinion, l loved Newman more as an actor but don’t think he was in as many great movies. You’re going to have to compare a lot more great movies but at least you have already seen most of them. I never saw a bad Redford movie.

“(Sell) I met with a known billionaire a few years ago about possibly selling the site to him, but I can't say it's something that I have seriously thought about. I love what I do and it's all I've known since I was in my early 20s.”

@Ketchum as a small business owner I see this and make me smile … BLESS YOU!

And go watch “HUD” ans redo your list!!!’

One of his greatest scenes was in Cool Hand Luke. Watching the girl wash the car. “Oh Lucille, them buttons about to pop off!” Pretty risqué for movie in the 60’s
Does Kennedy really have 10 movies?

“(Sell) I met with a known billionaire a few years ago about possibly selling the site to him, but I can't say it's something that I have seriously thought about. I love what I do and it's all I've known since I was in my early 20s.”

@Ketchum as a small business owner I see this and make me smile … BLESS YOU!

And go watch “HUD” ans redo your list!!!’
I watched Hud this week!

• Love
Reactions: Smootus
Just my opinion, l loved Newman more as an actor but don’t think he was in as many great movies. You’re going to have to compare a lot more great movies but at least you have already seen most of them. I never saw a bad Redford movie.
I'll get back to you this week on it.

Harry Potter GIF
Especially when your friends are shitty communicators and move away.

He has about 100 or so appearances in movies....from Cool Hand Luke, the Dirty Dozen, to the Airport movies and Naked Gun series.
He served under Patton and played him in Brass Target. Hell, he was even on Dallas for a couple of years.

Another rich, complex, well done Newman movie. One of the more intense, disturbing, yet real and complex movies he's been in.

I'm not sure how real it treated the single most important scene in the movie.

Let's see your top 10!
1. The Sting
2. Cool Hand Luke
3. Cat on a Hot Tin Roof
4. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
5. The Hustler
6. The Verdict
7. Road to Perdition
8. Hud
9. Nobody's Fool
10. From the Terrace

I'm not sure how real it treated the single most important scene in the movie.
When I mean real, I'm talking about a film from 1963 that boldly tackles very difficult issues and subject matter--topics that films just didn't cover back then (a few, perhaps, but not many). These issues were present in everyday life back then, but audiences hadn't been exposed to many films showing rural, small-town America like this--and these issues are brought to the big screen--rape, assault, abuse, psychological warfare toward family members, selfishness, unresolved family bitterness and hatred, greed. This film shows the dark side of humanity poignantly. The black and white gives it an extra chilling effect.

Newman portrayed an unpredictable, dark, ruthless, sociopathic personality brilliantly. This is not an easy film to watch but its' a classic--it's in the National Film Registry for a reason.

All that's changed is that the players are getting some of the money

Respectfully disagree and am confused by this statement. Literally everything has changed or will change - radically.

Why does it bother anyone?

There are any number of reasonable answers to this, but at least in part because the payments to players are going to be passed on to the fans, of course. Joe Fan is already hemorrhaging money for ever increasing prices for tickets, foundation donations, parking and travel/hotel. This all has been and will continue to increase as players and the costs of running a program become more and more expensive. And so now when a fan pays for all that but doesn’t donate to NIL, he’s made to feel like he’s the reason his team can’t compete at a high level. It’s profoundly insulting. I give to Texas One, but I absolutely despise doing it. It has embittered me as a fan and made me feel like at some point, I’ll just wander off in disgust permanently and find something better to do. I already follow one professional league. Do I really need a second?

There are any number of reasonable answers to this, but at least in part because the payments to players are going to be passed on to the fans, of course.

I actually think this is going to be way wrong and already is.

In future years, it's going to be NIL partnerships in athletics that cover the large weight.

Texas is spending between 15-20 million per year right now. The majority of fans at DKR paid none of it.

I actually think this is going to be way wrong and already is.

In future years, it's going to be NIL partnerships in athletics that cover the large weight.

Texas is spending between 15-20 million per year right now. The majority of fans at DKR paid none of it.

I don’t disagree with that fact. But eventually, Joe Fan will bear a disproportionate cost, IMO, one way or the other, the same way that he pays $125 to park and $14 for a soft drink at Jerryworld after he’s already paid $800 for tickets for hs family of 4. It will happen and is already happening.

I don’t disagree with that fact. But eventually, Joe Fan will bear a disproportionate cost, IMO, one way or the other, the same way that he pays $125 to park and $14 for a soft drink at Jerryworld after he’s already paid $800 for tickets for hs family of 4. It will happen and is already happening.
It's not. The shoulder of NIL costs has been assumed by a very small number of people up until now.

Joe Fan hasn't had to do a damn thing.

Maybe you can explain to me why Joe Fan shouldn't assume some of the costs.

It's not. The shoulder of NIL costs has been assumed by a very small number of people up until now.

Joe Fan hasn't had to do a damn thing.

Maybe you can explain to me why Joe Fan shouldn't assume some of the costs.

Some of the costs? Again that confuses me. He already does and has. Fans have always supported the program with their time and treasure as without them the programs don’t exist. I’m paying a shit ton, and a lot of other people are paying far more than I am. As the costs of running the athletic program increase with paying the players, prices for tickets and concessions and everything else will rise. It’s already happening and will continue to happen since it’s a professional league now. Begging people for more and more NIL money is happening. It’s constantly in our faces everywhere including this board. It won’t stop, ever, no matter how much TV or sponsor money rolls in. No amount of money will ever be enough and fans will be a forced to continue “donating” larger percentages of their budgets to participate.

You asked why people are upset about it and your premise is that nothing is different except players are now getting more money. I’m providing a reason why people are upset and pointing out that literally everything is now different from the sport we all grew up watching and participating in as fans. Literally everything.

Some of the costs? Again that confuses me. He already does and has. Fans have always supported the program with their time and treasure as without them the programs don’t exist. I’m paying a shit ton, and a lot of other people are paying far more than I am. As the costs of running the athletic program increase with paying the players, prices for tickets and concessions and everything else will rise. It’s already happening and will continue to happen since it’s a professional league now. Begging people for more and more NIL money is happening. It’s constantly in our faces everywhere including this board. It won’t stop, ever, no matter how much TV or sponsor money rolls in. No amount of money will ever be enough and fans will be a forced to continue “donating” larger percentages of their budgets to participate.

You asked why people are upset about it and your premise is that nothing is different except players are now getting more money. I’m providing a reason why people are upset and pointing out that literally everything is now different from the sport we all grew up watching and participating in as fans. Literally everything.

Athletic departments have been beginning fans for money for decades.

It's just the money is now going into a different set of hands.

It's those sets of hands that have some people unnerved. When the money was simply going into the hands of athletics officials and staff, you didn't hear much.

I've been running this site for 24 years and have never heard a single complaint about where the millions and millions and millions have gone until now.

You'd have to tell me why it's now suddenly a problem.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT