Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend: (Does Sark need to sit Ewers?_

Weird. So you think each QBs performance was entirely based on their own performance? And not on what the Defense did to the game plan?!?!

Of course, not. And that hasn't been suggested. There were numerous problems compounding the issues that existed on offense on Saturday.

The WRs need to be better. The OL needs to be better. The RBs need to be better. Sark needs to be better.

Yet, the biggest problem on the offensive side of the ball is a quarterback that is in. funk. He's been every bit as poor in 6 of the last 8 quarters he's played than he was good in the first 10 quarters of the season.

His feel for the position is completely lost. He's not pushing the ball downfield. He can't be a threat as a runner.

As I said in the column, there's a lot of stuff going on.

Really? You simply cannot be that obtuse?

[Insert gif of Andy Duphrene asking the warden]

No, not really. There is an irony in this grouping of words and points bacl at the person making false assertions and equivalences.

(I'm just going to assume you are being extraordinarily stubborn or that QE slept with one of your ex girlfriends in a past life or some such)

Busted.

By that logic above, you think the Patriots should have sat Tom Brady had they had a backup to go to in the Super Bowls when they faced a vastly superior Giants Defense that ****ed up their entire game plan?!? Because the game plan failing was Tom Brady's fault?

Good grief, this is a terrible analogy. You are really struggling. These two situations aren't remotely similar and I'm staggered at the idea that you believe a Tom Brady playing on an undefeated Patriots team (with Super Bowl rings in his pocket) would need to be benched in a game that wasn't remotely similar to the one that unfolded on Saturday.

That's your example? Not Jalen Hurts against UGA? Not anything other than Tom Brady in a set of circumstances that aren't the same?

****, man. That's just awful use of a brain.

By the above, you pretty much have to say yes.

I'm saying yes, but not to what you think I am.

And that pretty much tells me everything I need to know. Lots of fans get emotional about stupid shit like this. Lots of fans did it during 2007 Colt. I expect you to be above relying on emotions to make determinations like this. Football is THE team sport. The D, through domination of the line of scrimmage, CAN and DOES affect the QBs play. And it literally can make the greatest QB of all time look average. And it doesn't mean there is anything at all the QB can do about it. Play calling and scheme changes can. But an offensive game plan can be destroyed by a mismatch from D to O that cannot be salvaged. Only changed.

a. It doesn't tell you everything you need to know. I would offer quite an education is needed based on your cmmentary.

b. Colt turned it over 20+ times as a sophomore. He needed to play better in 2008.

c. I'm not the one being emotional and asking if a player slept with a girl friend.

d. Football is THE team sport.

e. Suggesting that there's nothing that Quinn could have done other than cave in and play poorly is a little mystifying. I mean... he could have seen the field better, made better throws and decisions. It's not rocket science.

I'll leave you with this set of stats someone else posted on the board...

Per ESPN:

"Ewers is averaging 2.6 air yards per completion this season, down from 5.1 a season ago. He ranks 128th nationally in air yards per attempt (5.65), down from 7.49 a year ago, and 115th in percentage of throws 20 or more yards downfield (9.3%). The lack of explosiveness in a Texas passing attack, despite the experience of Ewers and the creativity of Sarkisian's calls, has been the most surprising challenge facing the Longhorns this year. -- Wilson"

Has Blue played any worse than Ewers? Blue can't get touches. Blue has fumbled, Ewers has fumbled. Does Blue look as tentative on the field as Ewers does?

Let's hope the coaches apply that same rational with Ewers that they are with Blue.

btw, has Blue being playing for three years now like Ewers has been?

It appears that a different set of rules exists for different positions and players.

Reactions: suzerain79
Weird. So you think each QBs performance was entirely based on their own performance? And not on what the Defense did to the game plan?!?!

Really? You simply cannot be that obtuse?

[Insert gif of Andy Duphrene asking the warden]

(I'm just going to assume you are being extraordinarily stubborn or that QE slept with one of your ex girlfriends in a past life or some such)

By that logic above, you think the Patriots should have sat Tom Brady had they had a backup to go to in the Super Bowls when they faced a vastly superior Giants Defense that ****ed up their entire game plan?!? Because the game plan failing was Tom Brady's fault?

By the above, you pretty much have to say yes.

And that pretty much tells me everything I need to know. Lots of fans get emotional about stupid shit like this. Lots of fans did it during 2007 Colt. I expect you to be above relying on emotions to make determinations like this. Football is THE team sport. The D, through domination of the line of scrimmage, CAN and DOES affect the QBs play. And it literally can make the greatest QB of all time look average. And it doesn't mean there is anything at all the QB can do about it. Play calling and scheme changes can. But an offensive game plan can be destroyed by a mismatch from D to O that cannot be salvaged. Only changed.
Dude, you are trying way too hard. Take a deep breath and it will all be better.

Arch! 🤘
At least he shows more promise now than Quinn does now, if you get my meaning

Of course, not. And that hasn't been suggested. There were numerous problems compounding the issues that existed on offense on Saturday.

The WRs need to be better. The OL needs to be better. The RBs need to be better. Sark needs to be better.

Yet, the biggest problem on the offensive side of the ball is a quarterback that is in. funk. He's been every bit as poor in 6 of the last 8 quarters he's played than he was good in the first 10 quarters of the season.

His feel for the position is completely lost. He's not pushing the ball downfield. He can't be a threat as a runner.

As I said in the column, there's a lot of stuff going on.

No, not really. There is an irony in this grouping of words and points bacl at the person making false assertions and equivalences.

Busted.

Good grief, this is a terrible analogy. You are really struggling. These two situations aren't remotely similar and I'm staggered at the idea that you believe a Tom Brady playing on an undefeated Patriots team (with Super Bowl rings in his pocket) would need to be benched in a game that wasn't remotely similar to the one that unfolded on Saturday.

That's your example? Not Jalen Hurts against UGA? Not anything other than Tom Brady in a set of circumstances that aren't the same?

****, man. That's just awful use of a brain.

I'm saying yes, but not to what you think I am.

a. It doesn't tell you everything you need to know. I would offer quite an education is needed based on your cmmentary.

b. Colt turned it over 20+ times as a sophomore. He needed to play better in 2008.

c. I'm not the one being emotional and asking if a player slept with a girl friend.

d. Football is THE team sport.

e. Suggesting that there's nothing that Quinn could have done other than cave in and play poorly is a little mystifying. I mean... he could have seen the field better, made better throws and decisions. It's not rocket science.

I'll leave you with this set of stats someone else posted on the board...

Per ESPN:

"Ewers is averaging 2.6 air yards per completion this season, down from 5.1 a season ago. He ranks 128th nationally in air yards per attempt (5.65), down from 7.49 a year ago, and 115th in percentage of throws 20 or more yards downfield (9.3%). The lack of explosiveness in a Texas passing attack, despite the experience of Ewers and the creativity of Sarkisian's calls, has been the most surprising challenge facing the Longhorns this year. -- Wilson"
Excellent retort.
Excellent column - extremely well done. And sincere props for sticking it out and giving so many replies. Really kept things going.
Very Nice movie list. MF is a true actor - brings honor to the profession. Hollywood needs (many) more like him.

The Vandy game will be fascinating from many angles.

Reactions: Ketchum
It appears that a different set of rules exists for different positions and players.
This is extremely dangerous in a team with as good of culture as we assume there to be. Maybe I’m overthinking it, but double standards never seem to work out as well as one would think.

Reactions: suzerain79
Saturday at Vandy is about as big as it gets for Quinn. Here’s hoping he comes out hot and we blow the doors off of them.

If we find ourselves in a tight game at half time because he’s completing less than 50% and turned the ball over, I think Sark will turn the page for good.

Ewers was mentally shook in the first half. It could be because it was the first time the left side of the line left him completely hanging and he got lit up. It could be because he’s still hurt. Whatever it could be doesn’t matter. It could be because UGA was flying all over the place. But he’s got to play significantly better.

The game reminded me of Nebraska and Suh just dismantling our offense in the Big 12 title game. Made Colt look he had never taken a snap.

Was a massive failure from the offensive side of the ball. Sark and Quinn wear the blame. Just don’t think we should fool ourselves in to thinking the O-line and WR’s didn’t get soundly whipped either. It was bad. Hopefully a wake up call.
I think you're right. You can't put this all of Quinn. The offensive line did not seem to wake up until the beginning of the third quarter.

Re: ... Giancarlo Stanton: 16 HRs in 129 postseason at-bats. Babe Ruth: 15 HRs in 129 postseason at-bats.

Stanton faced much, much better ptiching.

After rewatching the Ohio State - Oregon game and seeing Dillon Gabriel and Will Howard stretch the field with accurate deep passes and use their legs to help their teams, I can not see Texas winning with Quinn. He is not a deep threat and he is completely ignored as a running threat. I am not sure Georgia even spied him on critical running situations, leaving their linebackers to key on running backs. Their defense only had to cover the line of scrimmage to 25 yards down the field. That gave their linebackers and defensive backs a considerable advantage.

Reactions: srl
Disagree on Ewers. Go watch the film guy breakdown posted elsewhere. Kirby beat Sark and their DL dominated. Nowhere to throw and 29 yards on 27 rushes.

Excellent retort.
Excellent column - extremely well done. And sincere props for sticking it out and giving so many replies. Really kept things going.
Very Nice movie list. MF is a true actor - brings honor to the profession. Hollywood needs (many) more like him.

The Vandy game will be fascinating from many angles.
Thanks, brother.

Reactions: Hunter67
This is extremely dangerous in a team with as good of culture as we assume there to be. Maybe I’m overthinking it, but double standards never seem to work out as well as one would think.
Might be a one off. It's not a trend, that's for sure.

Disagree on Ewers. Go watch the film guy breakdown posted elsewhere. Kirby beat Sark and their DL dominated. Nowhere to throw and 29 yards on 27 rushes.
I don't need anyone to provide me analysis. I've rewatched the game. I'm quite confident in my views.

Youn know who doesn't disagree with me on Ewers?

His head coach.

Might be a one off. It's not a trend, that's for sure.
There’s always kinda been a built in double standard with QB. I just hope players are not paralyzed by making a mistake that could get their PT taken so emphatically.

Snoop Dogg Yes GIF by ProBit Global
Ketch come on, seriously? You people really think that Ewers suddenly can't throw a pass further than 35 or 40 yards all the sudden ? He suddenly has played 2 horrible games after playing some of the best games he ever has had before he got hurt? Oblique injuries take a long time to heal, you need it to be right when throwing deep. He obviously can still throw ok if he can just use his arm. Any other throw he needs his core to throw correctly, he can't do that.

Quinn is doing this because he loves his brothers (teammates) and this team period, he's doing it because the team needs him. This doesn't take a ton of thought if you think it through....people should really give Quinn a break on this. JMHO. It's Sarks decision who plays. I think Quinn gives him the total offense he wants to run because Arch still doesn't have command of the offense completely. He still needs the game to slow down a bit longer...

Reactions: longhornms
@Ketchum Re: Cowboys - I totally get it. We’ve seen this show many times already & we don’t like the predictable piss poor ending. Hook ‘em Horns! JG

Thanks for the time to make such a thoughtful post. Some thoughts...

1. Agree on Freeman. He's always exceptional.

2. Texas didn't take UGA lightly. That just didn't happen. The OL became a problem as other problems (QE/WRs/Sark/RBs) started to compound. His pockets were fine for much of the game until that first blitz got home and then they didn't handle the surge that came later well all the time.

3. Quinn was a disaster. His coach, who defends him to his death, didn't bench him because he wasn't.

4. The running game is not a strength. No doubt. I'm not sure it's going to be salvaged... at least not completely salvaged.

5. You can't judge Arch on Saturday night. He absolutely plays better than Quinn did if he has the entire week to prepare and doesn't enter the game in the middle of a tsunami. It's like being mad at a bullpen pitcher who comes in with the bases loaded with no outs and is unable to get out of the jam without allowing a run. A LOT was being asked at 20-0 with the entire offense in a fog.

6. Ewers' career is at a crossroads. First round quarterbacks don't get benched in the biggest home games of their lives just before they get drafted. We're talking about a injury prove quarterback that doesn't throw the ball well down the field. I think he could sneak into the late first if everything goes right from here, but he lost a lot of money on Saturday.

7. By the time Klubnik is done in the 2025 season, he'll be a first round pick. He has the 4th best Heisman odds of any player in the country right now.

8. He didn't play especially well on Saturday. Missed some throws.
So let's discuss your responses. In regards to 2, I may have used the incorrect verbiage. The Oline was suprised by getting punched in the mouth and they played their worst game as a unit be far. 78 lost some money as well. This will be confirmed by Alex's deep dig tomorrow. I don't care who plays QB. When you Oline is getting shoved back into your lap on a consistent basis you will have happy feet and not keep your eyes down field. I know because I played the position.
As for number 3, Quinn wasn't a disaster. He got benched because he was getting the wholly hell beat out of him and Sark was trying to give him a chance to breath and take a step back. That was the right move. If Texas is going to accomplish what we all hope Quinn is going to have to be the QB. As for 5, I'm not judging Arch at all by what happened Saturday. I'm judging him based on the games he has played. The comp he has played against is less than stellar and he holds the ball too long and tries to throw deep all the time. With the way our OL was blocking especially in the 1st half he would have gotten killed. That's not fair to throw him into that situation. Even with a weeks preparation he isn't ready to start games in the SEC. He will struggle. Their is more to playing QB than arm talent and athleticism. As for 6, what do you mean cross roads? He got benched as I said above. Is he injury prone yes. Does he struggle to consistently hit deep throws yes but he will continue to develop just like every QB does. He has too much arm talent, skill and overall football IQ not to go in the first round. Scouts are already in love with his attributes and quick release. It cracks me up how he was a no doubt first round pick when he goes into Tuscaloosa and Ann Arbor and beat Bama and Michigan but he's not a first round pick now when he got the wholly hell beat out of him and still not 100% healthy. That make zero sense. Not sure what game you watch but he didn't have a clean pocket for a majority of the game.
As for 7 Klubnik won't be a first round pick, what his Heisman odds have nothing to do with whether we will be a first round pick or not. Sorry that's not what scouts use to evaluate whether someine goes in the draft.
He will be a good pro just not a first round pick.

Thanks for the great write up but we have to not lay this at the feet of the QB when you win as a team and lose as a team and if you can't run the ball or protect the QB you're going to have limited success as a team.

So let's discuss your responses. In regards to 2, I may have used the incorrect verbiage. The Oline was suprised by getting punched in the mouth and they played their worst game as a unit be far. 78 lost some money as well. This will be confirmed by Alex's deep dig tomorrow. I don't care who plays QB. When you Oline is getting shoved back into your lap on a consistent basis you will have happy feet and not keep your eyes down field. I know because I played the position.
As for number 3, Quinn wasn't a disaster. He got benched because he was getting the wholly hell beat out of him and Sark was trying to give him a chance to breath and take a step back. That was the right move. If Texas is going to accomplish what we all hope Quinn is going to have to be the QB. As for 5, I'm not judging Arch at all by what happened Saturday. I'm judging him based on the games he has played. The comp he has played against is less than stellar and he holds the ball too long and tries to throw deep all the time. With the way our OL was blocking especially in the 1st half he would have gotten killed. That's not fair to throw him into that situation. Even with a weeks preparation he isn't ready to start games in the SEC. He will struggle. Their is more to playing QB than arm talent and athleticism. As for 6, what do you mean cross roads? He got benched as I said above. Is he injury prone yes. Does he struggle to consistently hit deep throws yes but he will continue to develop just like every QB does. He has too much arm talent, skill and overall football IQ not to go in the first round. Scouts are already in love with his attributes and quick release. It cracks me up how he was a no doubt first round pick when he goes into Tuscaloosa and Ann Arbor and beat Bama and Michigan but he's not a first round pick now when he got the wholly hell beat out of him and still not 100% healthy. That make zero sense. Not sure what game you watch but he didn't have a clean pocket for a majority of the game.
As for 7 Klubnik won't be a first round pick, what his Heisman odds have nothing to do with whether we will be a first round pick or not. Sorry that's not what scouts use to evaluate whether someine goes in the draft.

Thanks for the great write up but we have to not lay this at the feet of the QB when you win as a team and lose as a team and if you can't run the ball or protect the QB you're going to have limited success as a team.
Quinn went into the tent (which I assumed he got an injection) right after Arch went in. I saw him as I was watching him after he came out of the game. So we can all do the math very well. I swear, some people kill me that think Quinn suddenly forgot how to play well at QB. There is a reason this is happening, imo.

• Love
Reactions: wchi
Ketch come on, seriously? You people really think that Ewers suddenly can't throw a pass further than 35 or 40 yards all the sudden ? He suddenly has played 2 horrible games after playing some of the best games he ever has had before he got hurt? Oblique injuries take a long time to heal, you need it to be right when throwing deep. He obviously can still throw ok if he can just use his arm. Any other throw he needs his core to throw correctly, he can't do that.

Quinn is doing this because he loves his brothers (teammates) and this team period, he's doing it because the team needs him. This doesn't take a ton of thought if you think it through....people should really give Quinn a break on this. JMHO. It's Sarks decision who plays. I think Quinn gives him the total offense he wants to run because Arch still doesn't have command of the offense completely. He still needs the game to slow down a bit longer...
I don't think he's ever thrown the deep ball well consistently.

That problem is currently an even bigger problem that normal.

78 didn't lose any money. I've had 2 NFL scouts convey that to me in the last 48 hours.

I don't have it in me to fight the good fight on the rest. We agree on pretty much nothing. I'm not going to be able to convince you.

I appreciate the discussion, though. Have a good night.

Quinn went into the tent (which I assumed he got an injection) right after Arch went in. I saw him as I was watching him after he came out of the game. So we can all do the math very well. I swear, some people kill me that think Quinn suddenly forgot how to play well at QB. There is a reason this is happening, imo.
go on.,...

• Haha
Reactions: TexasRads1
If I’m Sark, why would I sacrifice a championship potential season and put his pride and reputation before it…

I don't think he's ever thrown the deep ball well consistently.

That problem is currently an even bigger problem that normal.
I'm not talking about accuracy, I'm talking about strength. Go back and watch the few throws he made past 30 yards or there about. They actually were caught because he underthrew them so badly and the receiver came back for them. You can watch his throwing motion on the deep passes, he's trying to use his arm without his core.

Last edited:
go on.,...
I'm just saying he's playing hurt, and they need he's leadership and control of the offense. As good as Arch is going to be next year, he's not ready yet. The game needs to slow down and they can't give him the full offense yet. This is of course JMO. They aren't going to put that out there that he's hurt more as I'm sure Teams will try and take advantage more and etc. I just can tell by watching QE that he is not healthy yet. They aren't even throwing the ball downfield much at all these last 2 games.

Last edited:
  • Love

Your logic is flawed…if Quinn is still injured, then he is hurting his team by playing, period. He must be able to execute the entire offense, long balls included. If he can’t, he hurts the team. Kirby saw that limitation and exploited it.

I'm just saying he's playing hurt, and they need he's leadership and control of the offense. As good as Arch is going to be next year, he's not ready yet. The game needs to slow down and they can't give him the full offense yet. This is of course JMO. They aren't going to put that out there that he's hurt more as I'm sure Teams will try and take advantage more and etc. I just can tell by watching QE that he is not healthy yet. They aren't even throwing the ball downfield much at all these last 2 games.

Leadership and control mean nothing if Quinn can’t execute the gameplan.

Reactions: aarontxex
I'm not talking about accuracy, I'm talking about strength. Go back and watch the few throws he made past 30 yards or there about. They actually were caught because he underthrew them so badly and the receiver came back for them. You can watch his throwing motion on the deep passes, he's trying to use his arm without his core.

The irony is that everything you are saying supports not playing Quinn.

The irony is that everything you are saying supports not playing Quinn.
Oh trust me, I'm not arguing for playing Quinn or sitting him. I honestly don't know what the best thing is. I don't think Arch is ready completely yet though. More because of mental game than the physical side. I'm just trusting that Sark is doing the right thing for the team, for Quinn, for the program. I'm just telling you what I think is happening, it's just my opinion. I do think people need to stop dogging on Quinn though, I think he's doing what he can to still try and help the team.

• Love
You people really think that Ewers suddenly can't throw a pass further than 35 or 40 yards all the sudden ? He suddenly has played 2 horrible games after playing some of the best games he ever has had before he got hurt? Oblique injuries take a long time to heal, you need it to be right when throwing deep. He obviously can still throw ok if he can just use his arm. Any other throw he needs his core to throw correctly, he can't do that.
I think your third sentence answered your first.