ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Good news and bad news)

a. Again, I'm slightly concerned for you. Does this woman look like a 12-year old girl as well?

natalie-portman-rodarte-dress-oscars-2009-3.jpg

b. Stand in the way of dreams? Good grief, I'm not sure you understand the LOI process and the advantages of not signing one.

It doesn't take away any dreams, my man, but signing one sure can.

Ketch, if you think Miley and Natalie look ANYTHING remotely similar then you really need to get lasik or something desperately bad.

a. Again, I'm slightly concerned for you. Does this woman look like a 12-year old girl as well?

natalie-portman-rodarte-dress-oscars-2009-3.jpg

b. Stand in the way of dreams? Good grief, I'm not sure you understand the LOI process and the advantages of not signing one.

It doesn't take away any dreams, my man, but signing one sure can.

@Ketchum , I think @MATF doesn't understand the LOI and what it means. I coached baseball in college where the LOI is even more one sided. At the very least in football, the kid has his school paid for one year at a time. In baseball it is never a full scholarship. So you sign over your rights for two years at a time (transfer rules considered) in return for what amounts to usually about a 33% scholarship at best. Bad deal for the kid on the whole, but a necessary evil to play ball (football, baseball, basketball, etc) at the highest collegiate level. If you (or rather your kid) could get away with waiting, that would be the absolute best way to go. If you are that good, coaches will "find" a scholarship for you whenever you are ready to commit (like the day before school starting). Just my two cents as someone who has been on the other side of the scholarship agreement.

We had 4 drafted they had 4 drafted. Saban has never had a Vince Young at QB, that's what makes him great. He can coach football. Now it's time for Charlie to prove he can coach his 4 star quarterbacks. No more excuses its year three, Nick and Urban did it! Can Charlie?
Those teams had more than four players drafted.

@Ketchum , I think @MATF doesn't understand the LOI and what it means. I coached baseball in college where the LOI is even more one sided. At the very least in football, the kid has his school paid for one year at a time. In baseball it is never a full scholarship. So you sign over your rights for two years at a time (transfer rules considered) in return for what amounts to usually about a 33% scholarship at best. Bad deal for the kid on the whole, but a necessary evil to play ball (football, baseball, basketball, etc) at the highest collegiate level. If you (or rather your kid) could get away with waiting, that would be the absolute best way to go. If you are that good, coaches will "find" a scholarship for you whenever you are ready to commit (like the day before school starting). Just my two cents as someone who has been on the other side of the scholarship agreement.
Bingo. It'd a matter of being so good that they will hold a spot and give up leverage to have you. The normal student athlete ain't pulling that off for the most part.

In light of the Grammy's rather bizarre oversight only corrected at the last minute to honor Maurice White, how is it that there has not been an EW&F Top 10? I guess that will be my next crusade.

Bingo. It'd a matter of being so good that they will hold a spot and give up leverage to have you. The normal student athlete ain't pulling that off for the most part.

Seems like what you are talking about would apply to what 5-10 kids at most each year? Certainly not more than 20 on a year loaded with talent. I wonder with the age of social media and recruits bonding better we might see a year where the top 5-10 players all decide to pull this together? It would set a precedent and if a group of the best of the best did it together you'd limit the backlash that could fall on a "lone wolf" trying it. I could see a scenario where one guy, even if he's the best player in the country, could get blackballed by CFB coaches in order to keep the status quo. @Ketchum thoughts?

In light of the Grammy's rather bizarre oversight only corrected at the last minute to honor Maurice White, how is it that there has not been an EW&F Top 10? I guess that will be my next crusade.
Ironically, it's been on my to-do-list for the last three weeks. No need for a crusade.

Seems like what you are talking about would apply to what 5-10 kids at most each year? Certainly not more than 20 on a year loaded with talent. I wonder with the age of social media and recruits bonding better we might see a year where the top 5-10 players all decide to pull this together? It would set a precedent and if a group of the best of the best did it together you'd limit the backlash that could fall on a "lone wolf" trying it. I could see a scenario where one guy, even if he's the best player in the country, could get blackballed by CFB coaches in order to keep the status quo. @Ketchum thoughts?
Nah, I'd say 150-200 kids could pull it off. Maybe more depending on the school choice.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT