ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (I was dead-ass wrong)

All of us Cowboys fans have to remain forever grounded. You could see that performance coming from a mile away.
I never once got excited this season. I was just patiently waiting for the banana in the tail pipe.

I love Whitt. He's one of my faves as a human being. He's just not been a difference maker out of the slot and this offense could use that.
I posted something similar the other day.

Folks ain't having it.
Nope. He’s one of those guys. Kind of a team mascot and I don’t say that in an insulting way. Former super blue with a legendary HS career and people love a grinder that has a dog mentality, is a team player and has overcome hurdles, while seemingly being a great person, regardless of their production. I love him too, but I can’t lie and say he has lived up to what I thought he was going to be as a gamechanger.

I don't think we can say you were "dead assed wrong" until we get past Ou, KSU and TCU. I have thought all along that you are "dead assed wrong", but we don't know that yet. Not from beating a good, not great, Bama team and three definitely not good ones.
The only “not good” team we’ve played so far is Baylor. Rice will have a winning record, and Wyoming will make a run at their conference championship.

Finally, Bama might not be “great” this year, but they are very good - ask Ole Miss. Their defense is elite and Milroe is improving. What would you be saying about them had they beaten us and they were still #3 in the country?

As a general answer, no.

They never throw the long ball to JWhitt; that's the obvious throw to Cook. But the long-ball role for Cook is redundant to any circumstance in which the game is on the line and Worthy & AD are also in the game.

JWhitt is not redundant because (1) he's our underneath, possession guy out of the slot, and (2) he is our best blocking receiver, a role which Sark relies on a lot, especially in our screen package which is very important to the overall scheme.

If Worthy goes down, god forbid, then Cook becomes far more important. But the things JWhitt brings, Cook does not bring. The key concept is complementary football. If Cook's going to take snaps, then it needs to be from AD, or maybe Worthy. Not from JWhitt.
This 100%.
If we’re all gas and no brakes, Sark has our correct mix on the field.

To your point, Ketch, when we get a big lead, sure, sub in Cook much more and pick any WR for for him to sub in for.

Whitt serves the best purpose of any of our WR’s on blocking and as stated above, he’s a possession WR and Cook is not.

This does not mean a thing about Cook’s long-term upside compared to Whitt’s.
It’s playing chess and using the pieces as strategically as possible….and with that mentality, Whitt is deserving of all the snaps he’s getting.
That’s my opinion at least.

Reactions: Coelacanth
I'm literally backing my comments up with non subjective data.
And I simply asked you to provide objective data, which you supposedly love doing. 🤷‍♂️

I don't think JWhitt is a JAG. I think he is an explosive player, he rarely gets tackled on first contact, great at getting extra yards, things you said he doesn't do well. The biggest reason he doesn't score much is he's a possession receiver usually over the middle or to the sideline with the secondary usually around him or the sideline as an additional defender. I rarely if ever recall him running a go route like X or AD. I don't think QE looks his way as often as he should. That was my point and asked you to look at.

... Alabama beating Ole Miss this weekend was very, very good for the Longhorns. Root for Bama the rest of the way.

Ketch…not questioning your statement, but simply asking how you balance current season W/L vs the idea that losses could help recruiting. Just wondering out loud about the near-term vs long-term. Maybe bad wins by Bama would be best of both worlds? Curious on your thoughts.

Refresh my memory...why did JT Sanders only play on special teams his freshman year? It makes me sad to think he only played 2 years. Kinda like when Earl Thomas went to the NFL after playing only 2 years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT