ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Six months into his new job and Herman has OU on tilt)

You guys sure have taken the bait on Herman's motivational tactics. Of course he wants another capable qb. He's two hits away from having to play Heard as emergency qb. It doesn't mean he thinks Zaire gives him a better option than Shane. Just like in recruiting, he wants to bring in as much talent as possible and let the best man win.

You guys bit hard on how he didn't mention Shane at the first press conference, how he dressed down Shane in front of the media, and claimed that Shane had to really step up his game to hold off Sam. Then the spring happens and Shane was never even remotely threatened. This is all straight out of the Urban Meyer 101 playbook. Now we need another body at QB and you think it means that Herman thinks Zaire is a better option than Shane.
You're putting words into my mouth to a degree. I do believe Herman thinks Zaire could be the best option.

MJ is my #1, Bird #2, and LeBron #3. I just can't overlook the fact that those two have a level of "it" factor that LeBron has zero shot of ever matching. LeBron is the greatest talent in NBA history, but he's not the alpha that Jordan or Bird were. I remember watching warm ups and seeing opposing defenders take deep breaths over and over. They were stressed to the max at the idea of going out and having to defend them. LeBron just doesn't strike fear in defenders the way MJ and Bird did (and that's feedback from NBA clients who've guarded LeBron).
You think Bird has a different level of "it" than Lebron?

LeBron is what it would look like if Magic and Bird had a baby.

The time available for continued evaluation is quite long.

It's a 36-month evaluation at this point. Less info was available on him than a number of other players. Taking the time through the spring to get more info is natural. This is what transparency looks like.
I hope so, but the way you worded it sounded like you weren't focused on him because he was committed to LSU.

Yes, I know the instant reaction is to say no way based on the year Dak and Zeke just had, but consider the following:
1. Last year, both teams made the exact same round of the playoffs (round of 8).
2. Even if Watson is only a league average QB at first, the Texans just got a huge upgrade at the most important position on the field. At the end of 2015, if you had your choice between Deshaun and Dak as your franchise QB, which guy would you have chosen?
3. The Texans also upgraded the RB position by adding college football's most productive RB to a team that already has a 1,000 yard rusher on it.
4. The Texans add some guy named JJ Watt back onto the field this year. Watt alone has to be considered enough to get them one win closer in the playoffs than they would be without him, which puts them one win shy of a super bowl.
5. The competition in the AFC isn't as tough as it is in the NFC, and if you figure both Brady and Big Ben will retire in the next 1-2 years, the AFC will be completely wide open.

The Texans took a final 8 team from last year, upgraded the QB position, upgraded the RB position, and added through "virtual free agency" the most dominating defensive player in the last decade. What did the Cowboys do in the last month to go from a final 8 team in the NFC to NFC champs?
Dak and Zeke upgraded the Dallas offensive by producing on field production/results not projection. You're saying the Texans have upgraded their offense based on draft projections. Your claim that the Texans have upgraded their QB position is false at this moment because there is zero evidence to back that claim in terms of performance. Slow down, everything you're saying is purely projection.

I hope so, but the way you worded it sounded like you weren't focused on him because he was committed to LSU.
There are literally hundreds of players in the state to keep up with. My somewhat miscalculation is that he would be more active in the camp/combine circuit, but that hasn't quite been the case this year.

What I was trying to convey is that I expected that time to give a better look the last few months, thus a lack of urgency on the matter.

Dak and Zeke upgraded the Dallas offensive by producing on field production/results not projection. You're saying the Texans have upgraded their offense based on draft projections. Your claim that the Texans have upgraded their QB position is false at this moment because there is zero evidence to back that claim in terms of performance. Slow down, everything you're saying is purely projection.
I get what you're saying, proven production has less risk than probably or possible production. However, it's probably fair to project Houston to go from perhaps the worst starting QB in the NFL too something less worse like, say, 8th worse with a 4th year in this system Tom Savage and a talented DeShaun Watson. The offensive line should be better with Nick Martin coming back from injury, and many talented skill position players drafted last year will have another year in the system including Fuller, Braxton, and Lamar Miller. Adding Foreman should increase the efficiency of Lamar Miller.

I'm not picking them over Dallas' young guys, just pointing out that it's not difficult to envision this offense outperforming last year's horror show.

Ketch, where did you get the pic of the wolf? That has to be one of the most majestic, kingly, stunningly beautiful animals on earth! He takes your breath away! Good Lord!
The Internet,;)

bullshit.
It's true, unless you want to inflate what he accomplished against unskilled players in an era where his team was stacked with more HOF players than anyone else.

The truth of the matter is that if you put Anthony Davis on that Celtics team in the 50s and 60s, they win just as many titles and his numbers would have been even better.

Isn't that's what all sports debate is? Projection? If we aren't allowed to project what we think will happen in the future, what are we doing on this site?

You think Bird has a different level of "it" than Lebron? LeBron is what it would look like if Magic and Bird had a baby.
There you go trying to push that progressive agenda again. ;)

All jokes aside, there's something MJ & Bird had that LeBron doesn't. I can't define it. There is no question that LeBron is the better athlete, but people feared MJ and Bird in a way that they don't fear LeBron.

All jokes aside, there's something MJ & Bird had that LeBron doesn't. I can't define it. There is no question that LeBron is the better athlete, but people feared MJ and Bird in a way that they don't fear LeBron.
It's a different era. LeBron's personality is different. All these guys vacation together and are truly friends.

The rivalries of the game are dead, because these young bucks don't look at the game that way. Magic and Bird...Jordan and Isiah... they really hated each other on the court. It's just not like that anymore, but that's not necessarily all Bron's fault. I tell you what, though... he doesn't like GS, and I think we'll see some fireworks in the finals.

That's crazy talk. LeBron is in the head of every player in today's game.

Other than shoot the basketball, there's nothing Bird could do that's better than LeBron.

LeBron is more athletic, a better defender and has the same type of creative ability to involve his teammates.

I can only speak based on my clients in the NBA. They all recognize him as the best player in the league, but none of them fear him. Maybe it's a reflection of the fact that the players are all friends, like @NovoHorn said. But, they don't fear Cleveland the way I perceive that teams did the Bulls.

It's true, unless you want to inflate what he accomplished against unskilled players in an era where his team was stacked with more HOF players than anyone else.

The truth of the matter is that if you put Anthony Davis on that Celtics team in the 50s and 60s, they win just as many titles and his numbers would have been even better.
Bull Corn....I respect your opinion but, that is ridiculous, seriously. I guess we just totally disagree. I saw him play growing up, he was an unbelievable athlete....unbelievable.

So in your scenario only modern players are worthy....what a bunch of bunk.

I can only speak based on my clients in the NBA. They all recognize him as the best player in the league, but none of them fear him. Maybe it's a reflection of the fact that the players are all friends, like @NovoHorn said. But, they don't fear Cleveland the way I perceive that teams did the Bulls.
apples to oranges.

So in your scenario only modern players are worthy....what a bunch of bunk.
No, I'm mostly talking about Russell, whose resume gets overhyped because he happened to play for the most talented team.

His game was overrated.

Hmm... I can only speak as a Spurs fan but doesn't ever seem to be in Kwahi Leonard's head at all. I do still think Lebron is the best in the league at this point but Leonard plays him better than anyone else and seems to relish playing against him.

Bull Corn....I respect your opinion but, that is ridiculous, seriously. I guess we just totally disagree. I saw him play growing up, he was an unbelievable athlete....unbelievable.
completely agree- he subjugated his own game to allow others around him to succeed. He was also the best passing big man I ever saw not named Bill Walton. I say this about him also having some mutual acquaintances who said he is a king sized jerk, but that doesnt diminish his exceptional skills and extraordinary team play

Reactions: danhorn
Hmm... I can only speak as a Spurs fan but doesn't ever seem to be in Kwahi Leonard's head at all. I do still think Lebron is the best in the league at this point but Leonard plays him better than anyone else and seems to relish playing against him.
ok.

Reactions: darrenj
completely agree- he subjugated his own game to allow others around him to succeed. He was also the best passing big man I ever saw not named Bill Walton. I say this about him also having some mutual acquaintances who said he is a king sized jerk, but that doesnt diminish his exceptional skills and extraordinary team play
Puhhhh-leeeeeaze.

The greatest player of all-time averaged 15.1 ppg while making 44% of his field goals and 56% of his free throws, all against inferior competition, while stacked with HOF players around him?

Agree, not talking about personalities....also maybe the best shot blocker of all-time. To say he's not top 10 is ludicrous.

Reactions: RTR
Puhhhh-leeeeeaze.

The greatest player of all-time averaged 15.1 ppg while making 44% of his field goals and 56% of his free throws, all against inferior competition, while stacked with HOF players around him?
I never said he was the best of all time. I said he was a terrific team player and big man passer and deserves being mentioned in the top group of players due to that all around game. he wasnt in the Hakeem, wilt, jabbar, Shaq etc category but theres no doubt about his contribution within the realm of a great team. I think Sam and KC Jones, Havlicek, Heinsohn and others on that team would not agree with your characterization of Russell.
Puhhhh-leeeeeaze.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT