ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From The Weekend (What's happened, what's happening and what might happen...)

I wish I'd have enjoyed it like you did.

SPOLIER ALERT (although if you don't see these things coming miles away thats on you)

I hated it based on the sheer super-cliched nature of it.
  1. Rogue cop does a stupid amount of damage to catch bad guy
  2. Rogue cop has an estranged daughter he needs to help
  3. Their relationship was strained because he worked too much
  4. Best friend gets captured and tied to a chair for days on end for no particular reason
  5. Swarmy bad cop is the evil genius behind it all
  6. Rogue cop loses his badge and must solve crime, help daughter, save friend and regain trust of boss
  7. Queue chase scene where automatic weapons are always fired 3 foot too low so they hit the front of a bulldozer and not the cabin
  8. Queue Nuetron Dance
  9. Insert Eddie Murphy fast talking his way past elite Beverly Hills rubes
  10. Roll Credits
It was campy, but not campy on purpose like the Fall Guy. If they wanted to reinvent Axel Foley and kept the wit and charm I'd have welcomed it. But they just crammed as many 80's movies cliches as possible into 90 minutes.

I don't know why I took the time to write all that except maybe that I really, really wanted to like it and didn't.
The movie is like an FM DJ... it played the hits.

All of that analysis of Moore's recruitment and no mention of the Samples Effect? I'm going to sleep at night telling myself that that's just something Texas couldn't overcome. Assuming everything is even with what Texas and Oregon have to offer, playing for Reginald Samples now and then going to play for his hotshot of a recruiter son, Ra'Shaad, cannot be overstated.
It was interesting to see more mention of the WR coach than Samples in all comments about Oregon.

Ketch, you need to convert your super-blue chip formula into a bit of software that keeps an automatically updating list on OB. Surely there is a computer need on the board that could make this happen. It’d be a better version of the other sites’ composite rankings because it would show only the recruits that really matter.

Also, would you mind reposting that formula?
You want Rivals or everyone?

This is quite helpful to properly set the bar. In terms of roster construction, then, an annual formula for a perennial playoff team would be something like: 5 blue-chip recruits, 10 plus-players out of the portal, and 5-7 eval recruits. If something like that is right, then the way the industry is doing class rankings is close to worthless
That's close IMO.

All we ever hear during the Portal season is that there are no elite DTs available in the portal. Until we actually show that we can find one, I'd strike this option from the list.
There are no elite defensive tackles in HS recruiting.

@Ketchum the tweet was not a good look but I get it. These kids and their support team could be in their feelings too so best not to say anything and keep recruiting. We have some nice players, both young and older. I hope it doesn't come back to bite us in the butt🤷🏻🤘🏻💯
totally fair, but still...

Reactions: KoolMoD
I totally get Sark's tweet & good for him some of these kids act like they are gods gift to football F--k him enjoy Oregon enjoy Nov games in Michigan & Ohio.
Murphy list was great but Golden Child has to be in top 10.
It was in until I decided nutty professor had to be in.

We (the Texas fanbase) don't suffer from major sports failure fatigue like the Aggies do.

Simply put, the Aggies lost the NC series and then lost their coach less than 24 hours later. Consequently, they went from being hurt, to being shocked, to being enraged, and with Texas joining “their conference” they are now panicked.

So color me unsurprised they are more galvanized, desperate, and douchey than ever.
There's an Aggie who works out at the gym in our community. I see him several days a week. Actually, he's quite nice, but delusional 95% of the time. I told him, during his euphoric moment of the CWS, that we were going to take his coach. He said Schloss was totally committed to Aggy. So when it actually happened, he was totally destroyed. You never saw a sadder sack in your life. He said that he has loved all things Aggy for his entire life and now, with the state of college sports, he is still going to root for his boys (good luck), but the love was slowly draining. Almost...almost...felt sorry for him. No matter what Aggy may tell you, the last couple years of UT's resurgence has been totally devastating to them. I love it!

There's an Aggie who works out at the gym in our community. I see him several days a week. Actually, he's quite nice, but delusional 95% of the time. I told him, during his euphoric moment of the CWS, that we were going to take his coach. He said Schloss was totally committed to Aggy. So when it actually happened, he was totally destroyed. You never saw a sadder sack in your life. He said that he has loved all things Aggy for his entire life and now, with the state of college sports, he is still going to root for his boys (good luck), but the love was slowly draining. Almost...almost...felt sorry for him. No matter what Aggy may tell you, the last couple years of UT's resurgence has been totally devastating to them. I love it!
It's the little things in life. ;)

Hadn’t seen it mentioned here (maybe missed it) but Suchomel mentioned that Sark’s tweet came out right after Kade Phillips committed and that since Sark doesn’t usually indicate negative feelings toward recruits, keeping a long term approach and genuinely rooting for kids’ success, that the tweet was meant as a positive nod to Phillips’ recruitment.

Hadn’t seen it mentioned here (maybe missed it) but Suchomel mentioned that Sark’s tweet came out right after Kade Phillips committed and that since Sark doesn’t usually indicate negative feelings toward recruits, keeping a long term approach and genuinely rooting for kids’ success, that the tweet was meant as a positive nod to Phillips’ recruitment.
That's fine, but he had to know how others would perceive it.

That's fine, but he had to know how others would perceive it.
Probably. But I really believe Texas thought it did everything it could in the Moore recruitment and came up empty. I don’t believe they’ll pursue him going forward. Not sure about Pettijohn but also think that recruitment is over. If the tweet had a ‘dual’ intent, I don’t think they believe it will have a lasting impact. The only negative would be to future Duncanville recruits. But most recruitments seem so individual. Just don’t know.

My brother in law has been a life long devoted Aggie (alum) and when he was over at Thanksgiving last year, I was asking him about firing Jimbo and who he wanted to replace him expecting a dissertation of a reply. He said he has lost most of his passion for college sports.

I think you're right. I think they are completely, emotionally defeated.

Of course we all know if they start 4-0 next season or God forbid win their last regularly scheduled game next year, all bets will be off and they'll be the same delusional idiots they were taught in fish camp to be.

Rivals (6.0+), 247 (96+), ESPN (85+), On3 (96+)

In the player rankings as they are right now . . .

6.0+ for Rivals is the top 42 players: 18 five stars, and the top 24 four stars

96+ for 247 is the top 32 players: all five stars ( after the 32nd player, who is a 98, it drops to 94 with the 33rd player).

85+ for ESPN is the top 41 players: 15 five stars, and the top 26 four stars.

96+ for On3 is the top 26 players: 15 five stars, and the top 11 four stars.

If, as you say, to be a super blue-chipper, a recruit has to be on at least two of those lists, then Texas currently has ZERO super blue-chip commits. Rivals has Lacey at 6.0; and On3 has Orogbo and Jackson at 96. Among the uncommitted players that Texas is recruiting, the only super blue-chippers are Fasusi, Ffrench, Lockett, and Terry.

(That info, btw, is what I think a piece of OB software should tally.)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT