ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (When Herman is 100-percent humanized...)

As for Aston everyone knows now is a terrible time to hire someone but you would think CDC would have been making inquiries since the season was shot early on. I hate to see a 2 year extension since when next season goes bad there you are just throwing more money away.
With all due respect to the time in history that we're in, giving her an extension now (even at two years) would be a sign that there really aren't any kind of high standards around here.

With all due respect to the time in history that we're in, giving her an extension now (even at two years) would be a sign that there really aren't any kind of high standards around here.
Are golf, Vball swimming and T&F our top ten ranked sports right now? CDC is good there.

I think his agent would say to leave. But I also think his agent told him to leave VCU multiple times too.

not saying he stays, as I said leaving is a risk. I said no to the extension with my belief both fellas would be feeling some joint loyalty love. Do you disagree?

You think his AGENT will tell him to LEAVE Texas? Shaka isn't leaving Texas until he's asked/told.

Aston has no business staying. The women's program is in worse shape than the men's right now and women's basketball is far less competitive than the men. No buyout for her. Please replace her.

Last edited:
Aston has no business staying. The women's program is in worse shape than the men's right now and women's basketball is far less competitive than the men. No buyout for her. Please replace her.
I just wonder if Del Conte has any hiring leverage at all in this environment.

Reactions: Big Bertha
You think his AGENT will tell him to LEAVE Texas? Shaka isn't leaving Texas until he's asked/told.
If he has a great year and other good programs come calling for more money.... yes... I can see an agent putting a commission check first.

do I think Shaka would leave? I already said no in my previous response.

but yes, if the agent sees a long term contract for good $$$ at a time CDC is not renewing the current contract... I would think the agent would say leave.

I am probably thinking agents are more driven by money than you might be though?

If he has a great year and other good programs come calling for more money.... yes... I can see an agent putting a commission check first.

but yes, if the agent sees a long term contract for good $$$ at a time CDC is not renewing the current contract... I would think the agent would say leave.

I am probably thinking agents are more driven by money than you might be though?
If school a is offering you $20 million over the next five, while you have 7ish for two years at your current job and they don't want to talk extension, a real decision about what loyalty is will need to be discussed.

Reactions: Txfan512
Mulitple people on the Texas 63 and 64 teams said if they could have one person with them in a dark alley, it was Tommy Nobis. Think you are putting too much emphasis on people you know and not looking as closely at people from before

I am also dealing in the real world more than you might be though? You're dealing in a world where apparently Texas gets outbid for a major sports HC it wants to keep.

Mulitple people on the Texas 63 and 64 teams said if they could have one person with them in a dark alley, it was Tommy Nobis. Think you are putting too much emphasis on people you know and not looking as closely at people from before
Just ask the Talbert’s about Nobis. Totally agree with you.

Reactions: BOBZILLA65
The toughest college basketball player ever was not a Longhorn. He was an Aggie in fact. His name was Randy Matson. He also was the world record holder in the shot put and Olympic Gold Medalist in the shot put in 1968. The other world class shot putters looked like children standing next to Matson. And the scariest thing about Matson was he was very quick. He was drafted by the NBA and the NFL although he opted for professional track. He increased the world record in the shot put by three feet. He also ran the 100 yard dash in high school in 10.2. When he retired he was still the only man to throw the shot over 70 feet.

I am also dealing in the real world more than you might be though? You're dealing in a world where apparently Texas gets outbid for a major sports HC it wants to keep.
See ketch’s comment to me right above yours. Not necessarily an outbid, but more money guaranteed. It’s funny, I’m having the exact opposite discussion with you both.

If school a is offering you $20 million over the next five, while you have 7ish for two years at your current job and they don't want to talk extension, a real decision about what loyalty is will need to be discussed.
I can buy that. It’s funny RLong is asking me questions on exactly the opposite side of the fence.

this comes back to the original question to me.

what to do if you’re CDC and Shaka has one good year? Don’t extend and take your chances is my answer.

I would risk him leaving versus extending him and being tied up long term to someone who has mostly underperformed. I’d make him have two good years in a row that shows a touch of consistency first.

And yes, his agent might tell him to leave. Worth the risk to me. (Probably also worth the risk because I have fallen off his bandwagon.)

I mean... it was nearly 60 years ago. You're gonna have to forgive me just a little.

The toughest college basketball player ever was not a Longhorn. He was an Aggie in fact. His name was Randy Matson. He also was the world record holder in the shot put and Olympic Gold Medalist in the shot put in 1968. The other world class shot putters looked like children standing next to Matson. And the scariest thing about Matson was he was very quick. He was drafted by the NBA and the NFL although he opted for professional track. He increased the world record in the shot put by three feet. He also ran the 100 yard dash in high school in 10.2. When he retired he was still the only man to throw the shot over 70 feet.
If we're giving love to non-Longhorns, we have to give some love to Pete Incaviglia, who reportedly punked out the entire Texas baseball team.

Literally less than TEN current HCs make $4mil or more/yr. That type of offer isn't coming from another school for Shaka anytime soon.

Literally less than TEN current HCs make $4mil or more/yr. That type of offer isn't coming from another school for Shaka anytime soon.
I believe around 20 make at least three million.

So, 15/5 is probably the low bar and something like 17/5 is more realistic.

Splitting hairs to a small degree.

Point still remains the same.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT