ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (When Herman is 100-percent humanized...)

Anecdote on PJ Tucker. Ran into him at Bike Barn in West Universiry place in HOUSTON a couple of days ago. I had a mask and gloves on while buying a bike for my wife so she could ride with me during the isolation. I didn’t want to bother him (just like I treat other “celebrities”). So as I walked by him our eyes met and I just said Hook ‘em. His face lit up and he said with a big smile “Hook em!”. Nothing else was said. He’s a badass and one of my favorite Longhorns.
I would love a section of just stories like this!

A buddy of mine and I were fairly drunk at a Rangers game and walked by the opposing bullpen right as Huston Street was getting up to warm up. My buddy yelled, "Hey Huston!" and when he looked up we gave him the Hookem. He very sheepishly grinned but immediately gave us the Hookem back. Pretty funny stuff.

Reactions: EG-man
I am sure we are talking about the same fight...........it was literally a full scale riot! I always got there in time to watch the freshman game and would grab a low seat around mid-court. As soon as the final horn sounded I streaked down the middle of the court toward the only entrance/exit of Gregory gym only to find the exit blocked by a large group of core guys just standing there. After a few seconds they all turned around and just started swinging. I started swinging just to protect myself. It was the wildest thing i've ever been in.......ladies, coeds and kids right in the middle of it. If you ever hit the ground you were not getting back up as people were stumbling over you. I was not even sure who I was fighting or why so I worked my way back to the lower stands for a safer view. Saw many a person pinned to the floor and could not get back up.
After I got back into the stands Bully Gilstrap, a retired football coach who I had for PE, grabbed me by the arm and told me to come watch. In the corner of the gym Diron had a least 5 aggys pinned and was pummeling them. They could not escape the corner and were taking a beating.
I would always go to Gregory gym on Saturday mornings for pick up basketball games. We typically played a group of the football players. Diron was usually playing. He made camp immediately under the goal for both offense and defense. No one drove the baseline or down the lane for a lay up because Diron would send you flying to the ground.
During high school I met the Talbert's Dad in a rice field while hunting geese. We had to stop hunting and talk football (we had beaten Texas City the night before) for about an hour. He was really a nice man!
Those Texas vs. A&M games at Gregory were special. They always put the bleachers on the stage for those games. It brought the capacity to 7,200. A lot of football players attended. Remember, Moore-Hill Hall was adjacent to the gym and that's where "the animals" were housed back in the old days. That place could be a zoo at times. Only went in there a couple of times at night and it could get crazy. But I digress...

There was a large patch of grass - probably 150 feet square - immediately south and adjacent to the gym. Usually after the game there were fights there. My dad would hustle me along on the other side of Speedway - that was back in the 1950's - so we'd not get caught up in all the commotion. Nothing really changed all that much in my student years either. That game was always a spectacle.

Reactions: LMAHORN
Tough dude, but I never heard about him talked about as a scary bad ass while he was on campus.

Maybe Sonny Alvarado.
I worked for a TV station during the Final Four run and went to a bunch of post game pressers and stuff with the basketball team. One night I ran into James Thomas and a few other dudes on 6th street and he recognized me. He happened to be shit-housed that night and he kept hugging me with one giant arm and calling me a very urban variant of "his homeboy"

Funny as hell, he seemed like a very good kid. It's weird, a huge, jacked dude that you watch on TV play some pretty damn good basketball, but those guys are really just giant kids.

Good stuff. I knew the Talbert brothers for a few years when they came down to south Texas to dove hunt. Diron still hated Roger Staubach years later and would tell stories around the camp fire about all the dirty things they use to do and have done during the glory years of Cowboys vs Redskins. Dude still looked like he could whip some ass in his late 60’s.
I believe Diron Talbert definitely belongs near the top of the list.

I guess I'll never forget the day I was driving through the campus, which I almost never did, with a fraternity brother that played on the FB team. We were spotted by Diron Talbot, who yelled out to us to catch a ride. My car back then was a VW and the sight of Diron getting into the back seat of my bug must have been hilarious. When he sat down back there, his knees extended about halfway into the front seats.

That same fraternity member, who later became my roommate after sustaining career-ending injuries, told me of the time when Diron was in an Army Reserve unit in California while he was playing for the Rams. Diron exhibited his bad mofo attitude by driving out into the desert with an Army fuel truck and proceeding to empty the entire fuel tank right on the desert lands.

I also heard about the time Diron and Nobis started throwing knives at each other at the year-end football banquet. I believe they were in a somewhat inebriated state and just having fun.

I believe Diron Talbert definitely belongs near the top of the list.

I guess I'll never forget the day I was driving through the campus, which I almost never did, with a fraternity brother that played on the FB team. We were spotted by Diron Talbot, who yelled out to us to catch a ride. My car back then was a VW and the sight of Diron getting into the back seat of my bug must have been hilarious. When he sat down back there, his knees extended about halfway into the front seats.

That same fraternity member, who later became my roommate after sustaining career-ending injuries, told me of the time when Diron was in an Army Reserve unit in California while he was playing for the Rams. Diron exhibited his bad mofo attitude by driving out into the desert with an Army fuel truck and proceeding to empty the entire fuel tank right on the desert lands.

I also heard about the time Diron and Nobis started throwing knives at each other at the year-end football banquet. I believe they were in a somewhat inebriated state and just having fun.
If this was Diron, what were the others like?

Ketch why in the world would CDC extend Aston i mean her last 5 years have been average at best & we are not even close to Baylor. He talks about being top 10 teams & Aston can't even sniff top 25 the last few years & things are not getting better as we lose our best players so next season is not going to change.

Reactions: Big Bertha
That top 10 lists of bad mfers reminded me of a potentially fatal mistake. When i figured out my weekend hook up was dating Dronett back in the day. I think i walked with an eye in the back of my head for a couple of months...

Ketch why in the world would CDC extend Aston i mean her last 5 years have been average at best & we are not even close to Baylor. He talks about being top 10 teams & Aston can't even sniff top 25 the last few years & things are not getting better as we lose our best players so next season is not going to change.
Just to go get through the Rona stretch. I could see her getting a two-year extension for now.

That top 10 lists of bad mfers reminded me of a potentially fatal mistake. When i figured out my weekend hook up was dating Dronett back in the day. I think i walked with an eye in the back of my head for a couple of months...
Yeah man. Lots of girls in the sea at that point.

Well, he may not really have a choice given the current circumstances the end of which are unknown. I mean, exactly how is he supposed to vet and interview possible candidates. As I said earlier in the thread, unless Aston HERSELF is fully committed to not returning then I would be surprised if she isn't brought back with a 2-3 year type deal.

Think I would have transferred! Very quickly!:)

Ok, I’ll bite and SIAP:
@Ketchum
I would not extend Shaka.
I would assume the one year bump was due to the signing of a hopeful five star player (wink) and an experienced group. But... it’s still one year.

then, you hold tight and risk him leaving after one good year. If he does, then he does.

mostly likely, he will stay. Shaka is a very loyal guy (as evidenced by the offers he turned down while at VCU) and so is CDC. If CDC is banking on him now... I would imagine the love fest after a sweet sixteen appearance will be almost embarrassing from CDC.

This... two very loyal guys having success together... I think Shaka would give Texas another year and CDC would probably tell him another good year gets him an extension.

Ok, I’ll bite and SIAP:
@Ketchum
I would not extend Shaka.
I would assume the one year bump was due to the signing of a hopeful five star player (wink) and an experienced group. But... it’s still one year.

then, you hold tight and risk him leaving after one good year. If he does, then he does.

mostly likely, he will stay. Shaka is a very loyal guy (as evidenced by the offers he turned down while at VCU) and so is CDC. If CDC is banking on him now... I would imagine the love fest after a sweet sixteen appearance will be almost embarrassing from CDC.

This... two very loyal guys having success together... I think Shaka would give Texas another year and CDC would probably tell him another good year gets him an extension.
What do you think Shaka's agent will tell Shaka?

Reactions: Txfan512
What do you think Shaka's agent will tell Shaka?
I think his agent would say to leave. But I also think his agent told him to leave VCU multiple times too.

not saying he stays, as I said leaving is a risk. I said no to the extension with my belief both fellas would be feeling some joint loyalty love. Do you disagree?

I think his agent would say to leave. But I also think his agent told him to leave VCU multiple times too.

not saying he stays, as I said leaving is a risk. I said no to the extension with my belief both fellas would be feeling some joint loyalty love. Do you disagree?
I just think when your stock has been cold and it gets hot for what might be a small window in time, you strike while it's hot.

Reactions: Txfan512
Also,

What about James Thomas?!?! Between those shoulders and his overhand right, I actually thought of him before PJ. And I love me some PJ.

James Thomas was a good dude in my interactions with him. Nice guy, seemed pretty down to earth and respectful.

Shane Dronett was a definite wild child but still a good dude. Had many conversations and interactions with him and he was always cool. He just had no qualms about mixing it up.

James Thomas was a good dude in my interactions with him. Nice guy, seemed pretty down to earth and respectful.

Shane Dronett was a definite wild child but still a good dude. Had many conversations and interactions with him and he was always cool. He just had no qualms about mixing it up.
He was known to seek the mixing it up.

As for Aston everyone knows now is a terrible time to hire someone but you would think CDC would have been making inquiries since the season was shot early on. I hate to see a 2 year extension since when next season goes bad there you are just throwing more money away.

ADVERTISEMENT