ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (When Herman is 100-percent humanized...)

Well, there are a lot of dudes that didn't make the list that could have if that was the bar.

Then Orakpo makes the list. Or Big. Or Rogers.

You had to have a special kind of rep to make this list and he never really had that.

tumblr_n9ewu5SZIX1r5tymxo1_400.gif

Reactions: UT Bondman
I think unless Aston simply doesn't want to return she is going to be extended/new deal for 2-3 years.
I've said the same, but that's pretty much the minimal bar for firing/hiring. If he can't even do that, then the rep of not having the taste to take action becomes more fair than the one with Shaka IMO.

(Sell) Personally, I'd swap out the 2011 game against A&M and replace it with the 1995 game against the Aggies, as that game ended an era of dominance by the Aggies, while the other merely ended the rivalry. I might also rank the 1996 game against the Aggies and the 2005 game against Ohio State over the 2011 game.

Those not around to endure the aggies on a cheating binge just steam rolling us for years have no idea the importance of the the 1995 game at kyle stadium. It is only topped by the 06 Rose Bowl on my list of games I have attended in person and I have been to almost every home game since 85 and a lot of road games / bowl games. It still holds true, there is nothing worse than a&m with even a little success in football, they are just insufferable.
can't like this enough!

Joe Exotic >>> Joe Natural and I’m not sure I thought that was possible.

In the early 60s I watched Diron Talbert whip 5 aggy core guys all at the same time in Gregory gym following a basketball game. 5 on 1 ..............they didn't have a chance!
I think I was there. It was in 1963. I don't specifically remember Diron, he may have been a freshman at the time, but I remember the fight. Seems there was a group of aggies that had pre-planned to walk in mass across the floor at the end of the game and start a fight. The fan group they walked in to just happened to be a bunch of the football players. Hell of a fight. Watched it all from the upper stands. Took 20 minutes and a ton of cops to break it all up. I remember a couple of ambulances pulling out as we were finally leaving.

Reactions: LMAHORN
I think I was there. It was in 1963. I don't specifically remember Diron, he may have been a freshman at the time, but I remember the fight. Seems there was a group of aggies that had pre-planned to walk in mass across the floor at the end of the game and start a fight. The fan group they walked in to just happened to be a bunch of the football players. Hell of a fight. Watched it all from the upper stands. Took 20 minutes and a ton of cops to break it all up. I remember a couple of ambulances pulling out as we were finally leaving.
The Talbert brothers are among the biggest hell-raisers that ever walked the campus.

Robin Sendlein received consideration as well.

Reactions: pringlelake
Not sure what a list of bad asses means since none of our best players made the list, but imo Diron does not belong on it. I was in school when Diron, Barney Giles and Pete Lammons beat up the kid at the Villa Capri and DKR and Larry Franks' dad, the Dean of Men at the time, swept it under the rug. He was out of bounds at Texas for sure, but he was not even a very good player. He improved enormously once he was being paid.
I had Diron in a class one semester. He was a Neanderthal. I sat behind him. I don't think he could spell cat.

Nobis was probably my last cut. He was on it for most of the day.
I had a fraternity brother who tried to make the team as a halfback. Coach Royal assigned Nobis to tackle each of the wannabees one day in practice. None of them returned for day two. He stills talks about what it was like to get hit by a Greyhound bus.

Reactions: Rider54
I had a fraternity brother who tried to make the team as a halfback. Coach Royal assigned Nobis to tackle each of the wannabees one day in practice. None of them returned for day two. He stills talks about what it was like to get hit by a Greyhound bus.
I hear he was a good guy that has a reputation for holding it down when the moment called for it.

Old-timers swear by his bad-ass-ness.

That '96 game was greatness because it was a sheer ass-kicking to the point the whole aggy team, save for Dat, literally quit. And quite simply, that '95 game ended aggy's greatest decade and ushered in a still going 20+ years of mediocrity save for a a couple of seasons. That's how monumental the '95 game was.

That '96 game was greatness because it was a sheer ass-kicking to the point the whole aggy team, save for Dat, literally quit. And quite simply, that '95 game ended aggy's greatest decade and ushered in a still going 20+ years of mediocrity save for a a couple of seasons. That's how monumental the '95 game was.
Yup. That 1996 game had a lot of 1990 Houston in it, except instead of a half-decade's worth of frustration out, JB and Co. took out a decade's frustration out in that ass-kicking.

I want stories!
It was a tough class for me. I really didn't like the subject and I struggled. On the day of the final, Diron sat in front of me. Honestly, he looked like he had just gotten out of bed and had hair growing on his teeth.

To his immediate right sat an attractive coed who was rumored to be a straight A student. She finished the final in 25 minutes. While keeping an eye on the professor, she passed her competed exam to Diron who began copying it. I wasn't even on page two yet. They both walked out of the class after only 45 minutes.

And yes, I do remember the incident at the Villa Capri.

I think we are in good shape with both Card and Jackson. I, personally, thought Card’s film looked slightly more translatable to a college offense and thought Jackson will need to adjust more. He makes the decision to run too quickly for college. If they both adjust - This is gonna be fun!

I also think that Milroe may be better than both by the time he hits campus. We will see what Milroe’s season looks like this year. Hold on to THAT kid at all cost CTH!

Reactions: UTforMe
Diron's reputation as a hell-raiser is why he's on the list.

diron's big mouth got him into more trouble that his pitiful fighting skills could get him out of.... i can think of at least two occasions when a civilian whipped his ass

don and charlie were the two brothers who took care of business

Reactions: I Hear Voices
Diron's reputation as a hell-raiser is why he's on the list.

Deservedly so, then. I was living in Roberts Dorm the night Giles, Lammons and Diron got in trouble at the Villa Capri. They came up the middle of the street between Roberts and Moore-Hill Hall going to their dorm rooms. This was very late, after midnight. They were staggering drunk and yelling at the top of their lungs. People from both dorms were yelling at them to shut up. They were yelling back and threatening everybody in both dorms. They actually came into Roberts looking for trouble, but no one opened their doors to them so they left and went to Moore-Hill Hall. If they had been other than Longhorn football players they would have been in serious trouble, but DKR got involved, as did basketball star, Larry Franks' dad. Dean Franks was the dean of men. The word then, I think correct, was that he smoothed the waters to keep them all from being kicked out of school.

So Diron did raise some hell at Texas.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT