ADVERTISEMENT

Ketch's 10 Thoughts From the Weekend (Will Texas let TCU take its cornbread... again?)

Ketch,

You cannot blame Sam for the first interception against Maryland. A Maryland player blew Watson up in pass pro and either the Maryland player or Watson himself hit Sam on the elbow or mid-section which altered Sam's throw. That is all on Watson.

Go back and look at the Maryland game tape.

The second interception was horrific and definitely Sam's fault.

Texas has plenty of team speed, but you wouldn't know it by reading this thread.

Ehlinger is steadily improving, but you wouldn't know it by breading this thread.

Patterson is overated. He's a cockroach. F the love he gets on this board. He can't beat top top ten teams.
Beck/Ehlinger vs Patterson is not a good recipe.
For Patterson.

Reactions: PaperChampion
I know Oklahoma looms in a few weeks, but nothing matters more in the entire 2018 season than the Longhorns putting an end to this TCU thing that exists. More so than any game on the schedule, this is the game that will tell me everything I need to know about what the 2018 season is going to look like.

It's a bit ironic that SC was probably the least "important" game from a tangible standpoint compare to the next 3 games. Saturday is big for us. Big 12 is shaping up to be stronger than many were projecting back in the summer. Gotta hold serve at home.

You cannot blame Sam for the first interception against Maryland. A Maryland player blew Watson up in pass pro and either the Maryland player or Watson himself hit Sam on the elbow or mid-section which altered Sam's throw. That is all on Watson.

1. No idea where the false notion of Watson getting "blown up" got started. My gosh, just watch the replay. Watson actually did a pretty good job of blocking the defender. The defender just happened to make a desperate reach that grazed Ehlinger. And BTW, that graze could have been easily avoided by a simple climb up the ladder by Ehlinger. Calling it "all on Watson" is laughable.

Reactions: matamoroshorn
When your eyes tell you that Ehlinger isn't as accurate as he needs to be or that he's left some big plays on the field because of errant throws, your eyes aren't wrong. Ehlinger's 57.6 completion percentage ranks ninth among Big 12 quarterbacks. His yards per attempt ranks seventh. His passer rating ranks eighth.

Yep. Unless that gets improved there is going to be a relatively low ceiling on this offense.

The best players on this team are Lil'Jordan Humphrey, Collin Johnson, Chris Nelson, Gary Johnson, Kris Boyd and Caden Sterns

One or even both of Anderson and Cosmi can be argued are better than Nelson. They've certainly been better consistently 3 games in than Nelson.

BUY or SELL: We have permission to dream big?

(Sell) Man, I took that Notre Dame game hook, line and sinker.

Probably wise. SC does not look to be a terribly good team. Hell, not sure they would finish in the top half of this conference.

It's a long week.;)

Ketch said: "I know Oklahoma looms in a few weeks, but nothing matters more in the entire 2018 season than the Longhorns putting an end to this TCU thing that exists. More so than any game on the schedule, this is the game that will tell me everything I need to know about what the 2018 season is going to look like."

So true.

Reasons:

1. When you lose to one team so many times in a row, they become the measure by which you're judged;

2. Need to bring that fatty down a few notches, or pounds or both;

3. In state recruiting;

4. DFW recruiting;

5. Not a descending program like USC;

6. Restore the proper relationship between THE University of Texas and a little, private, horn-frog school in Ft. Worth.

Hookem

Ingram will be the RB getting more carries than Danny before seasons end if he is healthy. In fact, he make take over as starter this year since Watson's blocking is iffy at best. No other back on the team has the "it" he has.
Correct, but while he's out...

@Ketchum

I think many would have Called for Texas to be 2-1 at this point, but with different results (Maryland and SC flipped).

Could you argue that fans should be more confident with the actual results versus the projected? After all, you’d rather see the strong performance at game three than game one. Further, while SC may not be a great team right now, most would agree their talent level is far superior to Maryland’s.

Just a little nuance that might be getting overlooked.
Yes, if the Maryland disaster had never happened....;)

Ketch,

Go back and look at the Maryland game tape.

The second interception was horrific and definitely Sam's fault.
I'm not sure that changes the discussion much.

It's a bit ironic that SC was probably the least "important" game from a tangible standpoint compare to the next 3 games. Saturday is big for us. Big 12 is shaping up to be stronger than many were projecting back in the summer. Gotta hold serve at home.
Bingo.

Ketch said: "I know Oklahoma looms in a few weeks, but nothing matters more in the entire 2018 season than the Longhorns putting an end to this TCU thing that exists. More so than any game on the schedule, this is the game that will tell me everything I need to know about what the 2018 season is going to look like."

So true.

Reasons:

1. When you lose to one team so many times in a row, they become the measure by which you're judged;

2. Need to bring that fatty down a few notches, or pounds or both;

3. In state recruiting;

4. DFW recruiting;

5. Not a descending program like USC;

6. Restore the proper relationship between THE University of Texas and a little, private, horn-frog school in Ft. Worth.

Hookem
7. Pride.

Reactions: PaperChampion
based on...?
The long term trend exists for a reason. Unless you have evidence that those reasons no longer exist, I have no reason to believe that there won’t be a return to the norm at some point. While Texas has experienced a decade of mediocrity, it is still the big dog with all the resources required to be dominant. Over time that advantage shows up. Conversely, TCU has out performed their norms. There is a pretty good chance that they drop back when their circumstances change...for example, their coach leaves.

The long term trend exists for a reason. Unless you have evidence that those reasons no longer exist, I have no reason to believe that there won’t be a return to the norm at some point. While Texas has experienced a decade of mediocrity, it is still the big dog with all the resources required to be dominant. Over time that advantage shows up. Conversely, TCU has out performed their norms. There is a pretty good chance that they drop back when their circumstances change...for example, their coach leaves.
Trends change. You're hanging your idea, which is probably correct, based on old data points and old advantages.

How long does TCU need to be a better program than Texas because it has been for a decade now.

USC is fake news like 2016 Notre Dame.

There are big games ahead but lots of people on here thought Texas couldn’t beat USC and called it a big game with important implications before it was played (especially recruiting). Of course since Texas won impressively it’s now not that big of deal

Hopefully Texas carries it through to Sat and wins another big game

I said it before, saw Dicker at state championship last year. My 5th grade son (Allen fans) said in 4th , “We are gonna lose if that kicker gets a chance”. He walks around like he knows he is going to beat you.

Only The Young is top 5 IMO.

I think the fans will be into the TCU game unlike prior years...it’s got a 1990 UH vibe.
Agreed. Beating USC was vital, but the UT Student Body and fans will be into the TCU game primarily because Chris Del Conte, in a few months, has miraculously transformed DKR Memorial Stadium and the entire Game Day experience there into a bona fide HOME FIELD ADVANTAGE.

Reactions: BrushCountryHorn
you're clearly a bit young on the Journey songs....Feeling that way/Anytime is their all-time greatest.

Last edited:
... Which is worse ... getting boat-raced at home by North Texas if you're Arkansas or having this happen to you?

I'm betting the North Texas coaching staff had to alert every referee on the field to be ready for this play and not blow it dead by accident. If the refs didn't know in advance that this trick play was coming, one of the refs would have assumed a fair catch was called and blown the play dead long before the North Texas player ever started running down the field.

... Ryan Fitzmagic is apparently a thing. Like when Jeremy Lin went on a heater.

Interesting comparison, since both guys went to Harvard.

Trends change. You're hanging your idea, which is probably correct, based on old data points and old advantages.

How long does TCU need to be a better program than Texas because it has been for a decade now.
Trends do change and maybe they have and I just haven’t perceived it yet. But if I am betting on a business proposition, I am betting on the guy with the most money to prevail over time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT