ADVERTISEMENT

Kingsbury talks about Manziel

DHHorn

Dec 10, 2014
So I saw a thread on Texags talking about how Kingsbury said on some podcast how Manziel would party the night before games and miss the morning meetings or show up late. Basically nothing that people didn't already know or figured happened anyway. The thing that really made me laugh was that the texags posters automatically blamed Sumlin for not controlling players and letting them get away with whatever they wanted. They claim that is what was wrong with the teams under Sumlin and now that a real coach like Jimbo is in charge he will change the culture and all that stuff. I didn't see one poster realize or comment about the way Jimbo handled Winston's scandals and how he basically let him get away with whatever he wanted and they were far worse things than what Manziel was doing. Fisher was 10 times worse about not holding players accountable to off field issues, but they believe Jimbo is some sort of hard ass coach who won't put up with that from players. I've seen some crazy takes from aggys but this one has to take the cake for me.

Sorry from making a thread about the aggys but it's the off season and there isn't much else to talk about and I'm bored.

Stop the presses! Johnny cocaine skipped meetings and wasn't held accountable?

In other news, the sky is blue......

Jimbo was their hail Mary. If he fails, aggy will be irrelevant per usual. He won't have much success next year (throw away year) and I believe won't have success until saban hangs it up..........

I think karma is about to unleash some severe cruelty upon the aggy nation, IMO Arky and Chad Morris are about to own their ass like they have never seen before.

Reactions: LonghornMM
I think karma is about to unleash some severe cruelty upon the aggy nation, IMO Arky and Chad Morris are about to own their ass like they have never seen before.
I will say that is what I have worried about as well. I don't know that he will make Arkansas great, but I could see him having Arkansas be our thorn every year and do to us what we have done to them the past how ever many years.

Reactions: TheTR
Don't worry, it won't be as ugly as what Bama and LSU have done to you.

The near term is going to be tough. Many Aggies will expect 10 wins year 1, which is not happening. I see 3 100% loses and a ton of tossups. 2019 won't be any better, with Clemson, Georgia, South Carolina and the SECW on the schedule.
Natives will be very restless going into year 3, but nothing good is happening before then.

Reactions: Metcalf #2
The near term is going to be tough. Many Aggies will expect 10 wins year 1, which is not happening. I see 3 100% loses and a ton of tossups. 2019 won't be any better, with Clemson, Georgia, South Carolina and the SECW on the schedule.
Natives will be very restless going into year 3, but nothing good is happening before then.
Its not your fault, but -- this is the biggest problem I have with the SEC. Aggies will have been in the SEC for 8 years before they play Georgia. 8!! How can you call it a conference when you play once a decade? Regardless -- you probably won't be catching the Bulldogs at a good time in 2019. Who do you see as the 3 100% losses for this year? Alabama and who else?

Alabama, Auburn, Ole Miss, Miss St, LSU, Clemson, and that's just the 100% losses. I think he meant 3x2. Lol

Its not your fault, but -- this is the biggest problem I have with the SEC. Aggies will have been in the SEC for 8 years before they play Georgia. 8!! How can you call it a conference when you play once a decade? Regardless -- you probably won't be catching the Bulldogs at a good time in 2019. Who do you see as the 3 100% losses for this year? Alabama and who else?
Alabama, Clemson, and Auburn.

Reactions: diadevic
Alabama, Auburn, Ole Miss, Miss St, LSU, Clemson, and that's just the 100% losses. I think he meant 3x2. Lol
You forgot South Carolina, but I think we will likely beat Ole Miss.

We are a few years from being good, if things go well.

The Aggies should not have went over to the Big Boys playground and want to play

Hook'em
The Big Boy playground is not so bad, I have really enjoyed it. Playing games that start after lunch is nice, and being on channels I don't have to Google is better. But getting your ass kicked by the Big Boys is never fun.

The Big Boy playground is not so bad, I have really enjoyed it. Playing games that start after lunch is nice, and being on channels I don't have to Google is better. But getting your ass kicked by the Big Boys is never fun.
Translation:

I'd rather lose in prime time than win before noon.

Come on man......... nothing but love for you but from 50,000 feet above sea level, the pragmatic view that I'm seeing, being objective, is the fact that aggy has put a huge emphasis on this hire (whether they meant to and realize it or not) and if a proven name like Jimbo doesn't get it done, there will be an internal sentiment among aggys that will come to believe it can never be done.

It's truly, for lack of a better term, your final hail Mary. Short of hiring Jesus Christ, raising Bear Bryant from the grave or splicing DNA from Jackie Sherrell, RC Slocum and Bucky Richardson together, if this experiment doesn't work, the Albatros could be hung permanently round the neck of atm. Just think, I other coaches will say "if jimbo couldn't get it done, how am I supposed to get it done......".

I think Clob said it best on here a few months ago. Aggys are out of excuses, if Jimbo cant get it done then they can only blame themselves. High paid coach, large stadium, play in the SEC, looks like they will have good recruiting, not under big brothers shadow, and have more resources than most any other school. Time to put up or shut up.

Translation:

I'd rather lose in prime time than win before noon.

Come on man......... nothing but love for you but from 50,000 feet above sea level, the pragmatic view that I'm seeing, being objective, is the fact that aggy has put a huge emphasis on this hire (whether they meant to and realize it or not) and if a proven name like Jimbo doesn't get it done, there will be an internal sentiment among aggys that will come to believe it can never be done.

It's truly, for lack of a better term, your final hail Mary. Short of hiring Jesus Christ, raising Bear Bryant from the grave or splicing DNA from Jackie Sherrell, RC Slocum and Bucky Richardson together, if this experiment doesn't work, the Albatros could be hung permanently round the neck of atm. Just think, I other coaches will say "if jimbo couldn't get it done, how am I supposed to get it done......".
No doubt if Jimbo is a failure it will set us back longer than I want to think about. I just don't think we are going to be great the next 2 years. I am willing to give him a few years to bring in his guys, then judge him. A lot of other Aggies won't allow that time, which is stupid imo.
You have to admit, he can recruit. And that is a huge piece of the pie. Fixing the culture will be big as well. If he does that, he will likely succeed. He is a top 5 coach in my mind. We'll see how it turns out, but I like that we went big.

Fixing the culture is what I was talking about in the original post. It doesn’t seem like his culture was so great at FSU. They won games the first few years with a heisman winner and then once they started to lose a few games it seemed like things got toxic and went straight to the shitter.

Fixing the culture is what I was talking about in the original post. It doesn’t seem like his culture was so great at FSU. They won games the first few years with a heisman winner and then once they started to lose a few games it seemed like things got toxic and went straight to the shitter.
Our cuture problem is being soft as hell. The entire state has the same problem imo, maybe excluding Gary Patterson's program. I sometimes wonder if it is Texas kids vs kids from the southeast states. It may not be fixable, I hope so.

Reactions: HornDrummer

Hmm, won games early on with a heisman winner, then went in the shitter. Now where have I heard that story before? Did aggy just rehire Sumlin?

Hmm, won games early on with a heisman winner, then went in the shitter. Now where have I heard that story before? Did aggy just rehire Sumlin?
So 10 wins is shit? Jimbo had 1 bad year, and lost his QB in game 1 for the year.
Sumlin only won 10 games once while at A&M.

Jimbo Wins by year
2010 - 10 wins
2011 - 9 wins
2012 - 12 wins
2013 - 14 wins
2014 - 13 wins
2015 - 10 wins
2016 - 10 wins
2017 - 5 wins

He may or may not succeed at A&M, but pretending like his program at FSU went to shit is silly. He probably needed a change of address, but he knows what he is doing.

Reactions: outhereincali
So 10 wins is shit? Jimbo had 1 bad year, and lost his QB in game 1 for the year.
Sumlin only won 10 games once while at A&M.

Jimbo Wins by year
2010 - 10 wins
2011 - 9 wins
2012 - 12 wins
2013 - 14 wins
2014 - 13 wins
2015 - 10 wins
2016 - 10 wins
2017 - 5 wins

He may or may not succeed at A&M, but pretending like his program at FSU went to shit is silly. He probably needed a change of address, but he knows what he is doing.

Jimbo was handed the keys to a kingdom and did a whole bunch of less with more, and eventually imploded the castle from within. He took a dynasty and ran into the ground (5-6).

Yes, he recruited great at FSU. He landed a generational QB. But even with that QB he was losing games by 30 points, and year by year his teams got worse and worse and worse. Jimbo walked into an incredible situation....a highly anticipated handing over the keys of a dynasty, in an at that time very very weak ACC, with the in-state rivals Miami and Florida both in a complete dumpster fire. However, he was quickly passed up by Dabo and Clemson, and it took Richt one deep breath at Miami to catch up and probably do just like Dabo and blow right by.

Jimbo was internally becoming a mess at FSU, and getting passed up on the field as well. We still have no idea if he will be able to recruit at a high level at A&M. This is his honeymoon class and the actual football hasn't even started yet. Wait until reality sets in. Wait until Texas starts winning and Jimbo is sitting at a second tier school that's middle of the road in their conference while the in-state flagship school is getting all the glory. Wait until the media starts asking about the results that are supposed to come with that ridiculous contract.

Well I'm looking forward to it, should be classic Aggie self destruction and meltdown.

Jimbo was handed the keys to a kingdom and did a whole bunch of less with more, and eventually imploded the castle from within. He took a dynasty and ran into the ground (5-6).

Yes, he recruited great at FSU. He landed a generational QB. But even with that QB he was losing games by 30 points, and year by year his teams got worse and worse and worse. Jimbo walked into an incredible situation....a highly anticipated handing over the keys of a dynasty, in an at that time very very weak ACC, with the in-state rivals Miami and Florida both in a complete dumpster fire. However, he was quickly passed up by Dabo and Clemson, and it took Richt one deep breath at Miami to catch up and probably do just like Dabo and blow right by.

Jimbo was internally becoming a mess at FSU, and getting passed up on the field as well. We still have no idea if he will be able to recruit at a high level at A&M. This is his honeymoon class and the actual football hasn't even started yet. Wait until reality sets in. Wait until Texas starts winning and Jimbo is sitting at a second tier school that's middle of the road in their conference while the in-state flagship school is getting all the glory. Wait until the media starts asking about the results that are supposed to come with that ridiculous contract.

Well I'm looking forward to it, should be classic Aggie self destruction and meltdown.
Florida State is a prime job, no doubt. But Bowden left a lot like Mack Brown did, with a program no longer elite.

Look at Bowden's last few years:
2005 - 8 wins
2006 - 7 wins
2007 - 7 wins
2008 - 9 wins
2009 - 6 wins

Fisher didn't take over prime FSU. They were ok, about as good as A&M was under Sumlin, but not anything special.

Not sure why people act like he is an average coach, he isn't. He is very good. He will take lumps early, but he has a real chance of building an elite program. Or making a lot of money for little. Who knows.

Not sure why you guys are so excited we landed a top coach who can really recruit.

"top coach" who had embarrassing and/or blowout losses year in year out like clockwork, despite having top 5 talent. And he's not recruiting at Florida State anymore.

The one thing he may have going for him is the SEC has significantly fallen off with top coaching. Where are the elite coaches in the SEC now? Outside of Saban, who is going to hang it up any year now, there is a whole lotta question marks. The SEC West has Saban and then a vast land of mediocre or complete question marks, in addition to maybe the worst coach in all of 1A.

Florida State is a prime job, no doubt. But Bowden left a lot like Mack Brown did, with a program no longer elite.

Look at Bowden's last few years:
2005 - 8 wins
2006 - 7 wins
2007 - 7 wins
2008 - 9 wins
2009 - 6 wins

Fisher didn't take over prime FSU. They were ok, about as good as A&M was under Sumlin, but not anything special.

Not sure why people act like he is an average coach, he isn't. He is very good. He will take lumps early, but he has a real chance of building an elite program. Or making a lot of money for little. Who knows.

Not sure why you guys are so excited we landed a top coach who can really recruit.

I agree. I'm not going to write him off the first few years. Speaking of a&m I made the mistake of writing off Jackie Sherrill and he ended up winning big albeit illegally. I don't know if Jimbo is worth 7 million but they offered it to him why say no?

And I'm not on board with Chad Morris. All the good ones had been taken when the AR job became open he's a left over. All he did at SMU was beat Tom Herman's Houston team two years ago. I mean if you want to hire the SMU coach at a P5 school you want somebody who made a big splash while he was there and Morris didn't. And I'm sure oldtimers like me remember when AR was one of the best jobs in the country and now it's one of the worst.

"top coach" who had embarrassing and/or blowout losses year in year out like clockwork, despite having top 5 talent. And he's not recruiting at Florida State anymore.

The one thing he may have going for him is the SEC has significantly fallen off with top coaching. Where are the elite coaches in the SEC now? Outside of Saban, who is going to hang it up any year now, there is a whole lotta question marks. The SEC West has Saban and then a vast land of mediocre or complete question marks, in addition to maybe the worst coach in all of 1A.
Just wondering who you think the top coaches are, not named Saban, Meyers, or Swinney? Let me guess: Gundy, Patterson and Herman.

Top coaches in no particular order.

Saban
Smart
Peterson
Meyer
Swinney

Not sure how Kirby Smart seems to be forgotten in this thread.

Herman is top 10, likely moving up soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: weevilcatch
Just wondering who you think the top coaches are, not named Saban, Meyers, or Swinney? Let me guess: Gundy, Patterson and Herman.

Yeah, Fisher was a terrific hire. He is only 52 years old (Morris is 49) has won close to 80% of his games and has 2 National Championships (1 as OC, 1 as HC). And he can recruit.

IMO, I don't think he'll be much more successful than Sumlin but you have to understand A&M for at least trying.

Yeah I still think it will turn out to look just like the Sumlin era, minus a heisman.

Bad timing may hurt him. Texas is set to have a big year, and if we do, he's gonna get smashed by Herman in recruiting. I mean, Herman is killing it with bad teams. Win 9 or 10 and it's over.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT