ADVERTISEMENT

Longhorn's Fall Camp Thread

clob94

Aug 25, 2014
Well, helmet and tshirt days are over and this afternoon we move to helmets and shoulder pads.

For those that don't understand why there's no lower body pads on, practices like today are simply used to speed up the tempo and keep everyone up high to avoid injury, as well as promote some light contact to get used to hitting again.

Rumor has it that the Oline and dline will be sporting the don bebee head foam attachment to reduce the chances of concussions. The theory is semi-sound but it's got to be awkward wearing those things.

I' have heard the name Sam Cosmi being mentioned numerous times.
I guess so far under Herb Hand he is the one buying into his philosophy.

I am surprise Coburn name hasn't came up. I know he upset Yancy McKnight by showing up to summer conditioning overweight but Coburn is someone this DL needs.
He plays with an attitude that you can't teach.

Just as long as there is no major injuries come Sept 1 let them hit each other.

I think last year the players were not used to intense practices but truthfully I think it helped because besides the TCU game UT was the most physical team on the field.

Ok... Sam is regressing. Anderson is running 3rd string and Kirk Johnson is the best looking back.

all these things I read today. I will await the only report I trust.....from Clob. When is it coming big guy?

Ok... Sam is regressing. Anderson is running 3rd string and Kirk Johnson is the best looking back.

all these things I read today. I will await the only report I trust.....from Clob. When is it coming big guy?
Only the shadow knows....................

Reactions: andrew86e
Sound like they’re only running drills. Shane always looked better when there’s no press
Well, helmet and tshirt days are over and this afternoon we move to helmets and shoulder pads.

For those that don't understand why there's no lower body pads on, practices like today are simply used to speed up the tempo and keep everyone up high to avoid injury, as well as promote some light contact to get used to hitting again.

Rumor has it that the Oline and dline will be sporting the don bebee head foam attachment to reduce the chances of concussions. The theory is semi-sound but it's got to be awkward wearing those things.

Tell me more about these helmets. I saw pictures and it looks like there are some kind of sensors on them? I guess it measures something?

1. Who said Sam is regressing? Not saying it can't be true, but to come to this conclusion so early on in fall camp is, well, retarded.

2. No surprise to me that KJ is the best looking RB. I tried to remind y'all a while back how good he looked before the injury.

EDIT: and just for the record I'm no Sam fan. I still don't think either one of these guys is the answer. I hope one of them proves me wrong. I think our best hopes lie somewhere between the two young guys, and Roschon.

Last edited:
I haven't seen them yet so I can't make an honest assessment as to how they work I was just told they are a little awkward.

Sound like they’re only running drills. Shane always looked better when there’s no press

Tell me more about these helmets. I saw pictures and it looks like there are some kind of sensors on them? I guess it measures something?

We’re like 2 days in to practice. No one is “regressing”. On the flip side no one is making noise either. Practice is important for overall team preformance though the year, but drawing individual convulsions off these practices is a fools errend most of the time.

They rotated 3 different OLs.
Shackelford and Vahe were the only ones who played on all 3.
Cosmi is the name that keeps coming up as a potential starter.
Cosmi could be LT with Anderson at RT or it could be Cosmi at RT, Anderson at LT.
RG is Hudson Rodriguez or Kerstetter

1. Who said Sam is regressing? Not saying it can't be true, but to come to this conclusion so early on in fall camp is, well, retarded.

2. No surprise to me that KJ is the best looking RB. I tried to remind y'all a while back how good he looked before the injury.

EDIT: and just for the record I'm no Sam fan. I still don't think either one of these guys is the answer. I hope one of them proves me wrong. I think our best hopes lie somewhere between the two young guys, and Roschon.

Metcalf. Ya'll ought to know by now that I run with any sarcasm I can pick up. I did read that stuff from pirated practice reports that folks pay to get. The typers of those reports have to type something after all. This illustrates how desperate we are for any damned news at all. Bottom line....THIS WAS THE SECOND DAY OF PRACTICE.....and not even in full pads yet. Nobody knows a damned thing yet. It is interesting that Stern has has only run with the 1's so far.....kid must be good.

Dont worry.....we here on this very forum have the access to the only good preseason report that will come out. Our man "Lamont" Clob will ( when the time is right.....and there is actually something to report) give us the true low down.

They should be running 2x4 board drills with pads, that circle jerk hitting only shows their upper body action, put them on a board drill and that will give ya answers, if ya never run board drills , ya never played FB, them

Hook'em

What they gonna do next? Wrap the whole body in Bubble wrap? Jeez FB got softer than the old days, to where everyday till sundown was hitting days and few water breaks and the hot sun down the San Jac practice field in the heat, not A/C, go thru them practices makes ya finish the 4 th quarter kicking ass.

Hook'em

Metcalf. Ya'll ought to know by now that I run with any sarcasm I can pick up. I did read that stuff from pirated practice reports that folks pay to get. The typers of those reports have to type something after all. This illustrates how desperate we are for any damned news at all. Bottom line....THIS WAS THE SECOND DAY OF PRACTICE.....and not even in full pads yet. Nobody knows a damned thing yet. It is interesting that Stern has has only run with the 1's so far.....kid must be good.

Dont worry.....we here on this very forum have the access to the only good preseason report that will come out. Our man "Lamont" Clob will ( when the time is right.....and there is actually something to report) give us the true low down.

Yeah we're all starved for info. At this point, though, I'd rather those guys stick to writing about general stuff. Like who's running with the 1s and 2s as you mentioned with Sterns. That gives us an insight as to what the coaches think.

As far as Caden Sterns, yeah, he was defensive MVP of the Army AA game for a reason. He's damn good. Pretty sure Foster was the defensive MVP of the Under Armor AA game as well. Wouldn't be shocked at all if we have two true freshmen starting at the safety spots, and soon. They're absolute studs.

As far as clob, meh. Of course he knows his sh*t, but a little over dramatic for me.

Reactions: oldhorn2
Yeah we're all starved for info. At this point, though, I'd rather those guys stick to writing about general stuff. Like who's running with the 1s and 2s as you mentioned with Sterns. That gives us an insight as to what the coaches think.

As far as Caden Sterns, yeah, he was defensive MVP of the Army AA game for a reason. He's damn good. Pretty sure Foster was the defensive MVP of the Under Armor AA game as well. Wouldn't be shocked at all if we have two true freshmen starting at the safety spots, and soon. They're absolute studs.

As far as clob, meh. Of course he knows his sh*t, but a little over dramatic for me.

We will need all the secondary help we can get because from what I hear from SC fans after watching JT Daniels throwing the ball around in a t shirt and without pressure is that this kid is John Elway, Aaron Rodgers and Joe Montana all wrapped in one

We will need all the secondary help we can get because from what I hear from SC fans after watching JT Daniels throwing the ball around in a t shirt and without pressure is that this kid is John Elway, Aaron Rodgers and Joe Montana all wrapped in one

It's scary to think about it but SC is probably better than last year. I just hope they don't come together till 9/16 :)

What do you guys think of the new redshirt rule that allows a coach to play a true freshman for up to 4 games before deciding to redshirt him? This could be huge especially when it comes to qb's.

Thoughts?

Practice began last Friday with the team in shorts and shirts for the first two days.

On Sunday, the team wore shoulder pads so the physicality was turned up another notch. Speaking of protective wear, if you've seen pictures from practice you've noticed the team wearing an extra shell over their helmets. It's nice to see Herman take extra precautions for the players. It also underlines just how physical things are about to get.

The team will hit a wall eventually before the staff backs off a little, but for now practices have been fast paced and energetic. The coaches are very happy with intensity and effort levels.

This camp is already different than any of the three previous practice blocs Herman has held in that I'm already hearing some positives about the offense.

Collin Johnson versus Kris Boyd serves as a microcosm of the give and take nature of camp thus far. Both Johnson and Boyd are making their share of plays on each other. From a baseline talent standpoint, that's early round NFL on early round NFL.

My main takeaway after talking to a few people is that the offense is showing immediate improvement.

Let's set the stage.

The offense is still mainly in 11 personnel. They have run some 10 which so far is just a dead giveaway they intend to pass.

The defense has been mainly base or nickel.

As I wrote on Friday, Todd Orlando intends to keep his defense as simple as possible versus Maryland, with the same defense he's using now; base or nickel.

The offensive line is better at run blocking at this point, though the big plays are coming on deeper throws in those give-and-take scenarios. By no means are they running well on the defense, but they are gaining some traction.

Calvin Anderson has been rotating with the ones during scrimmage work and I'm hearing very favorable things. While he's still adapting to the speed and athleticism of the pass rush, he's very strong, plays with good leverage and is quick off the ball in the run-game. There was an expletive or two to describe his play strength and quickness.

Over on the other side, Derek Kerstetter has a stranglehold on right tackle. He, along with Elijah Rodriguez, have both been working at back-up center to familiarize themselves with the position in case they're needed.

Rodriguez is in a bit of a battle for snaps, but not with who we expected. Rather than Patrick Hudson, Tope Imade is the player pushing him and he has received 1st team snaps in scrimmage work. I'm still expecting Rodriguez to hold on to the job, but we'll see how camp goes.

Hudson is working behind Patrick Vahe at left guard and taking 2nd team reps solely. I'm sure there's a good reason for him repping where there seemingly isn't playing time, but I'm not sure what that is just yet.

Overall this group has improved at run blocking and they're getting better at picking up blitzes. Having healthy tight ends doesn't hurt, though they have their struggles at times, especially when they stay inline versus the pass. As run blockers they're high-effort players who latch on and fight. So far it sounds like average play from the tight ends which is a marked improvement over last season.

I'll get more into the quarterbacks later in the week, but Sam Ehlinger and Shane Buechele are making more downfield throws than they have previously against this defense. It's not just Johnson making plays either, as Brennan Eagles has stepped things up from the spring and made some very impressive receptions. He's showing his eval by using his big body to make contested catches. If he continues to develop that's big for depth as XWR is thin.

I continue to hear good things about Lil'Jordan Humphrey. Going forward if I don't write much about him it's because he's a known stud.

I think we know quite a bit about the defensive line. Its strength thus far is pass rushing. With linebacker being somewhat of question mark, playing the run will be the big defensive concern heading into the season.

Prior to camp Gary Johnson has worked Rover, F-backer, B-backer, and Mac, but he's locked in at Rover now. There's a robust competition going on right now at Mac, with Wheeler's half game suspension versus Maryland spicing things up a bit. There you have the senior rotating with Malcolm Roach and Jeffrey McCulloch.

For 2018 versatility will have to create depth at the position. Roach is also working at B-backer where I think he'd start if Wheeler wasn't suspended. He's still being used at times as a stand-up d-end flanking Omenihu.

As stated, the team has worked base 4-3 in preparation for Maryland's running attack, though we'll likely see Nickel more often than not.

If things hold in the secondary, PJ Locke is going to get a web redemption at Nickel versus Maryland. He's currently ahead of Josh Thompson after previously repping at boundary safety. Caden Sterns at boundary safety seems permanent, at least for this season. He's ball-hawking and balling out. It's always telling to find out when players you suspect of being great intersect with average/good ones. The sooner that intersection occurs, the greater the player (or the lesser the other one is). Sterns is going to be a monster and I'm already laughing at those in the inevitable game thread lambasting him for an early coverage bust as overrated.

Brandon Jones has a tight lock on field safety still, but it's fun hearing about the young safeties behind him, including DeMarvion Overshown. He is already throwing his body around (understatement) and covering ground quickly. Coaches are excited to see him when they go full pads.

Davante Davis seems to be fully engaged and could be on the verge of a good season. He sure looks the part.

We've been asked about punt returner. D'shawn Jamison has looked both comfortable receiving and shown head-turning speed, but we'll see how he looks under live fire. First indications are encouraging, though. Remember, if he isn't back there early, it's because the coaches just don't trust him in that situation yet. He's also repping on kick return.

Jerrod Heard and Brandon Jones have also worked at punt return. If Jones is good enough to return punts I'm going to be even more confused on his lack of ball skills.

A lot of the freshmen, who had to overcome their off-season physical wall, are already hitting a mental wall. Their heads are swimming as they have to process their duties much quicker. Players are quizzed on roles but on the field things are moving almost at the pace of a game.

We know this is all #zerosum, but I'm mildly encouraged by what I've heard so far. This sounds like a league competitive team, not just a league competitive defense.

It's starting to make sense to me now. I couldn't figure out (during spring) what D we were in. It looked like nickel, but it also looked like a base D with a "spy". So based on what I'm reading here, and sorting through my memories from April, I'm starting to see what we are doing (in my mind). It's ballsy, but in the pass happy big 12 I can see why.

Practice began last Friday with the team in shorts and shirts for the first two days.

On Sunday, the team wore shoulder pads so the physicality was turned up another notch. Speaking of protective wear, if you've seen pictures from practice you've noticed the team wearing an extra shell over their helmets. It's nice to see Herman take extra precautions for the players. It also underlines just how physical things are about to get.

The team will hit a wall eventually before the staff backs off a little, but for now practices have been fast paced and energetic. The coaches are very happy with intensity and effort levels.

This camp is already different than any of the three previous practice blocs Herman has held in that I'm already hearing some positives about the offense.

Collin Johnson versus Kris Boyd serves as a microcosm of the give and take nature of camp thus far. Both Johnson and Boyd are making their share of plays on each other. From a baseline talent standpoint, that's early round NFL on early round NFL.

My main takeaway after talking to a few people is that the offense is showing immediate improvement.

Let's set the stage.

The offense is still mainly in 11 personnel. They have run some 10 which so far is just a dead giveaway they intend to pass.

The defense has been mainly base or nickel.

As I wrote on Friday, Todd Orlando intends to keep his defense as simple as possible versus Maryland, with the same defense he's using now; base or nickel.

The offensive line is better at run blocking at this point, though the big plays are coming on deeper throws in those give-and-take scenarios. By no means are they running well on the defense, but they are gaining some traction.

Calvin Anderson has been rotating with the ones during scrimmage work and I'm hearing very favorable things. While he's still adapting to the speed and athleticism of the pass rush, he's very strong, plays with good leverage and is quick off the ball in the run-game. There was an expletive or two to describe his play strength and quickness.

Over on the other side, Derek Kerstetter has a stranglehold on right tackle. He, along with Elijah Rodriguez, have both been working at back-up center to familiarize themselves with the position in case they're needed.

Rodriguez is in a bit of a battle for snaps, but not with who we expected. Rather than Patrick Hudson, Tope Imade is the player pushing him and he has received 1st team snaps in scrimmage work. I'm still expecting Rodriguez to hold on to the job, but we'll see how camp goes.

Hudson is working behind Patrick Vahe at left guard and taking 2nd team reps solely. I'm sure there's a good reason for him repping where there seemingly isn't playing time, but I'm not sure what that is just yet.

Overall this group has improved at run blocking and they're getting better at picking up blitzes. Having healthy tight ends doesn't hurt, though they have their struggles at times, especially when they stay inline versus the pass. As run blockers they're high-effort players who latch on and fight. So far it sounds like average play from the tight ends which is a marked improvement over last season.

I'll get more into the quarterbacks later in the week, but Sam Ehlinger and Shane Buechele are making more downfield throws than they have previously against this defense. It's not just Johnson making plays either, as Brennan Eagles has stepped things up from the spring and made some very impressive receptions. He's showing his eval by using his big body to make contested catches. If he continues to develop that's big for depth as XWR is thin.

I continue to hear good things about Lil'Jordan Humphrey. Going forward if I don't write much about him it's because he's a known stud.

I think we know quite a bit about the defensive line. Its strength thus far is pass rushing. With linebacker being somewhat of question mark, playing the run will be the big defensive concern heading into the season.

Prior to camp Gary Johnson has worked Rover, F-backer, B-backer, and Mac, but he's locked in at Rover now. There's a robust competition going on right now at Mac, with Wheeler's half game suspension versus Maryland spicing things up a bit. There you have the senior rotating with Malcolm Roach and Jeffrey McCulloch.

For 2018 versatility will have to create depth at the position. Roach is also working at B-backer where I think he'd start if Wheeler wasn't suspended. He's still being used at times as a stand-up d-end flanking Omenihu.

As stated, the team has worked base 4-3 in preparation for Maryland's running attack, though we'll likely see Nickel more often than not.

If things hold in the secondary, PJ Locke is going to get a web redemption at Nickel versus Maryland. He's currently ahead of Josh Thompson after previously repping at boundary safety. Caden Sterns at boundary safety seems permanent, at least for this season. He's ball-hawking and balling out. It's always telling to find out when players you suspect of being great intersect with average/good ones. The sooner that intersection occurs, the greater the player (or the lesser the other one is). Sterns is going to be a monster and I'm already laughing at those in the inevitable game thread lambasting him for an early coverage bust as overrated.

Brandon Jones has a tight lock on field safety still, but it's fun hearing about the young safeties behind him, including DeMarvion Overshown. He is already throwing his body around (understatement) and covering ground quickly. Coaches are excited to see him when they go full pads.

Davante Davis seems to be fully engaged and could be on the verge of a good season. He sure looks the part.

We've been asked about punt returner. D'shawn Jamison has looked both comfortable receiving and shown head-turning speed, but we'll see how he looks under live fire. First indications are encouraging, though. Remember, if he isn't back there early, it's because the coaches just don't trust him in that situation yet. He's also repping on kick return.

Jerrod Heard and Brandon Jones have also worked at punt return. If Jones is good enough to return punts I'm going to be even more confused on his lack of ball skills.

A lot of the freshmen, who had to overcome their off-season physical wall, are already hitting a mental wall. Their heads are swimming as they have to process their duties much quicker. Players are quizzed on roles but on the field things are moving almost at the pace of a game.

We know this is all #zerosum, but I'm mildly encouraged by what I've heard so far. This sounds like a league competitive team, not just a league competitive defense.

It's scary to think about it but SC is probably better than last year. I just hope they don't come together till 9/16 :)

On Defense they could for sure.
Carr is not like Jones as he cannot carry the load

Daniels could be great but it will be small steps.
You cannot expect a true freshman to have an in depth understanding of the entire playbook.

He played on a dominant team through high school so how does he handle pressure and possible failure.

From level headed SC fans I have heard 2020 is the year they expect to be great

Until then it is a build up of depth in D and improving the line.

How's that scary? Better than last year isn't saying much. They were mediocre at best.

You know I never thought Sam Darnold was all that. All last year Darnold and SC would start a game with a few to's, but come from behind and rally at the end. Talk about winning ugly. It finally came back to bite them in the butt in the Cotton Bowl.

But if you count his years as an asst Clay Helton has been there a good while. Long enough that he's been with all the players on the team. I think that makes up for that he's only been their hc for 2 and a half years. SC has recruited very well since he's been there. Good enough that even though they lost a lot of starters the replacements are better.

They have to be because SC is a blue blood and at a blue blood the bar is raised high. So far Helton has met the standard. But can he maintain? That's what fans are waiting to see.

One last thing. How did a fat, bald, guy like Helton have a such a great looking wife :)

On Defense they could for sure.
Carr is not like Jones as he cannot carry the load

Daniels could be great but it will be small steps.
You cannot expect a true freshman to have an in depth understanding of the entire playbook.

He played on a dominant team through high school so how does he handle pressure and possible failure.

From level headed SC fans I have heard 2020 is the year they expect to be great

Until then it is a build up of depth in D and improving the line.

Is Daniels the kid who graduated a year early and enrolled at midterm? If so that would mean he graduated a year and a half early. Good Lord how old is the kid? Can someone that young be ready to play qb especially at SC? Or is that somebody else?

I'll say this for SC. I'll bet they're the only Pac XII team that has 2 P5 schools on their non con schedule. The good news is that WA and OR are not on the schedule. But you guys are playing ST and then us back to back. If you guys win one of those guys games especially ST you'll be in good shape. Btw ST/SC has become the Pac XII version of the TX/OK game.

Our last two games against you guys have been nothing short of magnificent.

What they gonna do next? Wrap the whole body in Bubble wrap? Jeez FB got softer than the old days, to where everyday till sundown was hitting days and few water breaks and the hot sun down the San Jac practice field in the heat, not A/C, go thru them practices makes ya finish the 4 th quarter kicking ass.

Hook'em

Man, when it comes to a lot of "tough" football stuff I agree with you. But when it comes to concussion I disagree a bunch. The days of bashing your face into another players face is long gone and rightly so. It should be common sense, lol. Whatever you can do to protect your brain should be done. Thinking you're tougher than brain injury is plain dumbassery.

Man, when it comes to a lot of "tough" football stuff I agree with you. But when it comes to concussion I disagree a bunch. The days of bashing your face into another players face is long gone and rightly so. It should be common sense, lol. Whatever you can do to protect your brain should be done. Thinking you're tougher than brain injury is plain dumbassery.

I would like football and the football players to stick around as long as possible. Tackling technique is not difficult to comprehend. It's the desire to stand out and garner the big payday that drives a lot of this play that leads to increased brain injury. They are going to have to penalize the bad behavior and it's not going to be an easy process.

Reactions: weevilcatch
I would like football and the football players to stick around as long as possible. Tackling technique is not difficult to comprehend. It's the desire to stand out and garner the big payday that drives a lot of this play that leads to increased brain injury. They are going to have to penalize the bad behavior and it's not going to be an easy process.

The issue is the greed of the NFL and how their Players' Association has very little power.
No one talks about how Eric Winston the Leader of the PA is another player that the NFL teams will not sign
His reason is because he has spoken out about the upcoming labor issue.
The NFL has to do a better job at taking care of their former players.

Can't just kick them to the street especially when the guarantee money during their playing career is so low

There is a massive pay gap between guaranteed money in the big 3 sports, no doubt. There is significant risk in any sport, but football is no doubt the worst. There needs to be a restructuring of contracts in the guaranteed money arena, but here's the problem:

Because the life span of most players is so much shorter than I baseball or basketball, you're going to have more players retiring in their prime if they sign that $150 million guaranteed contract. They will play out their rookie deal, and by age 25-26 will look to sign that 9 figure deal over four years. After four years at age 29, dudes will walk. They'll leave, even though they've got 3-4 more years of their prime left. Sure, not all will walk (QBs, kickers, some wrs) but your head bangers, left tackles, linebackers, defensive ends, running backs, will walk. Why wouldn't they? With $100 million in the bank due to a guaranteed contract, there's no need to keep playing.

Owners don't want this. It creates too much turnover. In essence, the players don't need that paycheck anymore and so they'll move on to other endeavors that are less hazardous to their health.

Reactions: TheTruthof2018
The issue is the greed of the NFL and how their Players' Association has very little power.
No one talks about how Eric Winston the Leader of the PA is another player that the NFL teams will not sign
His reason is because he has spoken out about the upcoming labor issue.
The NFL has to do a better job at taking care of their former players.

Can't just kick them to the street especially when the guarantee money during their playing career is so low

I'm pretty sure NFL players are in the top 1% income earners in the world. It's not the pay, it's how they handle their pay and what they do for income when they retire. Now if you want to argue the risk vs reward against basketball and baseball well you might have something but that's still apples and oranges. Football players need to take the university degree more seriously as the years after football with a degree in the workforce potentially outweigh cumulatively what they may earn playing football. This is especially true if they are a name brand in the community.

Last edited:
There is a massive pay gap between guaranteed money in the big 3 sports, no doubt. There is significant risk in any sport, but football is no doubt the worst. There needs to be a restructuring of contracts in the guaranteed money arena, but here's the problem:

Because the life span of most players is so much shorter than I baseball or basketball, you're going to have more players retiring in their prime if they sign that $150 million guaranteed contract. They will play out their rookie deal, and by age 25-26 will look to sign that 9 figure deal over four years. After four years at age 29, dudes will walk. They'll leave, even though they've got 3-4 more years of their prime left. Sure, not all will walk (QBs, kickers, some wrs) but your head bangers, left tackles, linebackers, defensive ends, running backs, will walk. Why wouldn't they? With $100 million in the bank due to a guaranteed contract, there's no need to keep playing.

Owners don't want this. It creates too much turnover. In essence, the players don't need that paycheck anymore and so they'll move on to other endeavors that are less hazardous to their health.

Also, baseball has a 25 man roster and plays 81 home games. NBA has a 15 man roster and plays 41 home games. That is the biggest factor in money difference.

Very good point about players saying adios after the big contracts.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT