ADVERTISEMENT

Longhorn's Fall Camp Thread

Man, when it comes to a lot of "tough" football stuff I agree with you. But when it comes to concussion I disagree a bunch. The days of bashing your face into another players face is long gone and rightly so. It should be common sense, lol. Whatever you can do to protect your brain should be done. Thinking you're tougher than brain injury is plain dumbassery.

They shoulda have done these helmets back when VY and Colt and Ash was playing! Slow learners and I know it was on somebodies drawing board back then.

Hook'em

They shoulda have done these helmets back when VY and Colt and Ash was playing! Slow learners and I know it was on somebodies drawing board back then.

Hook'em

You can even go a lot more recent.
If Ehlinger doesn't get slammed out of bounds in Red River the narrative in 2018 about the season might be a lot different.

The Ehlinger of Kansas St and Red River didnt return until the bowl game.

We will see his potential in 2018 as I still believe that Sam Ehlinger will be the one to bring UT back to where they belong

You can even go a lot more recent.
If Ehlinger doesn't get slammed out of bounds in Red River the narrative in 2018 about the season might be a lot different.

The Ehlinger of Kansas St and Red River didnt return until the bowl game.

We will see his potential in 2018 as I still believe that Sam Ehlinger will be the one to bring UT back to where they belong
I hope you're right. I like Sam a lot. But the freshmen look great and RJ in 2019 and HC in 2020 look good, too. Lots of potential on the horizon. And, the new redshirt rule really allows freshmen to be played earlier and get game experience without jeopardizing their 4 years. We can use that for both Casey and Cameron this year which is exciting.

I hope you're right. I like Sam a lot. But the freshmen look great and RJ in 2019 and HC in 2020 look good, too. Lots of potential on the horizon. And, the new redshirt rule really allows freshmen to be played earlier and get game experience without jeopardizing their 4 years. We can use that for both Casey and Cameron this year which is exciting.

Sam Ehlinger is the only one in the room that truly understands what it means to be the QB at UT.
He plays like that. Like I said everyone remembers his play after the concussion but before as a true freshman he put the team on his back

This is why the team supports him and Herman calls him an alpha.

He has to be smarter at protecting his body as well as making smart decisions.

In terms of football he needs to be better at taking the top off of the defense

I think regarding the freshman they both have potential. Especially Cameron.
Casey is an amazing athlete and could be someone that could be used for special plays.
Especially using 2 QBs.
Put Thompson in the slot and run a post on the opposite side and you can have the potential if Thompson can catch and has the arm to hit the WR with the Safties collapsing.

Last edited:
Sam Ehlinger is the only one in the room that truly understands what it means to be the QB at UT.
He plays like that. Like I said everyone remembers his play after the concussion but before as a true freshman he put the team on his back

This is why the team supports him and Herman calls him an alpha.

He has to be smarter at protecting his body as well as making smart decisions.

In terms of football he needs to be better at taking the top off of the defense

I think regarding the freshman they both have potential. Especially Cameron.
Casey is an amazing athlete and could be someone that could be used for special plays.
Especially using 2 QBs.
Put Thompson in the slot and run a post on the opposite side and you can have the potential if Thompson can catch and has the arm to hit the WR with the Safties collapsing.
Not saying you are.....but your posts about Sam are eerily similar to another poster that was 110% pro-Case McCoy a few yrs back. I think the poster eventually claimed to be his sister or something.
My preference is for whichever qb gives us the best chance at stacking the W's & right now they seem to be pretty close so we'll see come game time.
You happen to be related to ol' Sammy?
Not starting a fight, just teasing a bit. But....umm....really, are you?

Not saying you are.....but your posts about Sam are eerily similar to another poster that was 110% pro-Case McCoy a few yrs back. I think the poster eventually claimed to be his sister or something.
My preference is for whichever qb gives us the best chance at stacking the W's & right now they seem to be pretty close so we'll see come game time.

Never met the kid but it would be a honor to do so

He is a son of Texas Ex's. The story of him is something that in the future if he has success could shine a great light upon the university and Sam.

He plays with passion for the school something that is hard to coach.
He would love UT even if he wasn't the starting QB.
Can't say that about any of the other QBs.

Ash should have played over Case just like Major over Crissy.

Sam reminds me of Major Applewhite truthfully.

Holy sh*t, I had completely forgotten about that poster.

Didn’t she come on here and crap all over Ash at every opportunity (with nary a negative word about Case), or am I thinking of someone else?

Sam reminds you of Major Applewhite???

One was 6 foot tall, 185 lbs soaking wet and I don't care WHAT the roster listed him at, dude was lucky to be 185-- one is 6'2.5 and weighs 235.
One had pinpoint accuracy with his passes even if he couldn't throw it through a plate glass window, the other is lucky to hit a bull in the butt with a bass fiddle.

One had the football brain and defensive reading ability of a quantum physicist, the jury is still out on the other.

When receivers were covered up, one would make a throw only the receiver could get to, the other tucks and runs before he gets to his 3rd progression.

I've said for years that during Major's tenure, we had the perfect QB on our team-- if you took Major's brain and put it in Chris's body.

Never met the kid but it would be a honor to do so

He is a son of Texas Ex's. The story of him is something that in the future if he has success could shine a great light upon the university and Sam.

He plays with passion for the school something that is hard to coach.
He would love UT even if he wasn't the starting QB.
Can't say that about any of the other QBs.

Ash should have played over Case just like Major over Crissy.

Sam reminds me of Major Applewhite truthfully.

Didn’t she come on here and crap all over Ash at every opportunity (with nary a negative word about Case), or am I thinking of someone else?
It was utisdabomb's sock.

Sam reminds you of Major Applewhite???

One was 6 foot tall, 185 lbs soaking wet and I don't care WHAT the roster listed him at, dude was lucky to be 185-- one is 6'2.5 and weighs 235.
One had pinpoint accuracy with his passes even if he couldn't throw it through a plate glass window, the other is lucky to hit a bull in the butt with a bass fiddle.

One had the football brain and defensive reading ability of a quantum physicist, the jury is still out on the other.

When receivers were covered up, one would make a throw only the receiver could get to, the other tucks and runs before he gets to his 3rd progression.

I've said for years that during Major's tenure, we had the perfect QB on our team-- if you took Major's brain and put it in Chris's body.

I am speaking mainly about leadership qualities and toughness.

Herman claims a wrist injury has caused the poor down field throws.

Just like with Major and Ash if you ask the team who they want in the huddle the majority of them will say Ehlinger.

You can tell with the body language or during Red River when Sam left for a few plays how the air left the team

More importantly Sam would have given UT a fighting chance against TCU last year.
That was the game I really saw the difference with the team between the two

While I appreciate your perspective and applaud your enthusiasm, I'm not sold on either of our signal callers yet (though I suspect Sam will get the nod against Maryland, barring weird circumstances of course).

Is he a tough kid?

He appears to be. Why else would he be so Gung-ho to tuck and run so easily. Can he make it through progressions? Nope. Not that I've seen.

Can he read the D? Nope, not that I've seen.

Can he look off DBs and ghost his throws? Nope, he stares a hole in his target.

Can he hide the ball effectively on play action? I haven't seen that so far.

So far, all I can tell you definitively about the kid is he comes from good stock, he's made of grit, barbed wire and used linebacker parts.

Is that enough? Maybe. It was enough for Tebow (a superior athlete).

But as a defensive player (we are like marines, there's no such thing as former marines) I would welcome a target that big that runs with unabashed fear, to scramble while I'm on the field. (or when I was)
He's not going to juke you a la Cordell Stewart, he's not going to glide by you gracefully a la Vince, he's not going to be covered in Crisco a la Manziel, and he's not going to flat out smoke you a la Michael Vick.
He's a poor man's tim tebow, minus the jesus christ superstar and I don't think he has anywhere near tebow's speed..... or scott frost's for that matter.

If the era of leading with your head on a tackle was still acceptable, I swear to christ on all things holy, Sam would be the dude on the schedule that I would look to ding dong via the ear hole. (a player of his style of course)

I am speaking mainly about leadership qualities and toughness.

Herman claims a wrist injury has caused the poor down field throws.

Just like with Major and Ash if you ask the team who they want in the huddle the majority of them will say Ehlinger.

You can tell with the body language or during Red River when Sam left for a few plays how the air left the team

More importantly Sam would have given UT a fighting chance against TCU last year.
That was the game I really saw the difference with the team between the two

But as a defensive player (we are like marines, there's no such thing as former marines) I would welcome a target that big that runs with unabashed fear, to scramble while I'm on the field. (or when I was)

And all this time I thought you were an OL. Guess I didn’t see any of the hints I’m sure you dropped.

And all this time I thought you were an OL. Guess I didn’t see any of the hints I’m sure you dropped.
Now you're just trying to antagonize me........ I could never be one of those fat, lazy, holding on every play, farting in the huddle, smelly ba$tards.

Reactions: BringBackRoyal
I’m eagerly anticipating what a more mature, healthy Sam can do this year. Three plays changed the narrative completely on him last year. The strip against USC on the goaline, the concussed lob INT in OT against Okie St., and the dumb INT against Tech. Can’t really blame him for the USC loss. He gave us every chance to win it. The play calling in OT against OSU was absolutely horrid. What a wasted effort by our defense in that game. The ball he threw to a Tech defender was inexcusable. Play calling was terrible that game as well, but he just can’t give up that ball with a lead, late in the game. He cost us that one: Those three plays changed the outcome of those games for the most part and cause people to forget that Sam had some really heroic moments that got spoiled by rare defensive breakdowns. He put us in position to beat the Sooners, until we let their TE loose down the sideline. If the defense holds there, that game alone would have put Sam on a different level in the eyes of most longhorn fans. But, just another loss. Same against USC, only to see our defense brain fart at the end of the half and then watch our special teams blow it late after what should have been a game-winning drive engineered by Sam. Instead we go to over-time. With a better O-line and depth at Tight-End, we should be harder to defend this year, taking some of the pressure off of the QBs. I agree that Sam seems to have that IT factor, as long as his brain isn’t concussed. As much as I want him to limit the hits he takes, I sure love watching him run over DBs.

Funny story, if you'll allow me....

After school, I was living with a former teammate and now, current business partner. We were living out off 71, what used to be waaaaaay out there, like by the Backyard out there. Wealthy booster owned the land and his son was friends of ours. We basically looked after the land, a couple hundred acres, and lived in one of the houses there. Onion creek ran through the property there. We had a river, pool and hot tub. For being 22 years old, it was pimp. 4 bedroom house, the works. Well, one of our older teammates lost his spot as an Oline guy on the practice squad for the dolphins and asked to move in with us. Arguably one of the most fun times in my life.

Anyway, me and my roomate would pull a$$ out to the ranch, and fat boy would eventually provide comic relief and entertainment for all. One evening, we bring a bevy of girls back to the house with promises of booze, food, jacuzzi's pools, skinny dipping in onion creek etc. 10 chicks, 3 dudes.

Roomy loved him some crown and coke, fat boy just love straight whiskey.... I was a scotch and rocks man at that point. So we are in the living room with all these girls, and fatty is out on the deck grilling pork tenderloin and chicken... drunk off his arse-- and feeling a little neglected by the ladies. Next thing you know, his drunk a$$ is standing infront of the big nay window in the living room, naked, with both arms extended out..... like Jesus on the cross.

All 320 pounds of him, butt naked..... with his twig and berries tucked between his thighs..... quoting the scene from "Silence of the Lambs" saying "I would fvck me! I would fvck me sooooo hard!!!!".

Of course half the girls died laughing and the other half turned away in disgust.... but these were the sort of shenanigans we did. This was on a tuesday...........

Reactions: q1w2e3
I like both Sam and Shane. My 2 cents is that Sam would tuck and run when we had superior athletes he could have handed it to. He was a freshman, so that may fall on the coaches. Continuing on bashing the coaches, they would call the same playbook when Shane was on the field even though he has a different skill set. Also, I understand Shane's frustration when you get only one second to throw, but he could improve his leadership skills by not showing so much negative body language.

Last edited:
Funny story, if you'll allow me....

After school, I was living with a former teammate and now, current business partner. We were living out off 71, what used to be waaaaaay out there, like by the Backyard out there. Wealthy booster owned the land and his son was friends of ours. We basically looked after the land, a couple hundred acres, and lived in one of the houses there. Onion creek ran through the property there. We had a river, pool and hot tub. For being 22 years old, it was pimp. 4 bedroom house, the works. Well, one of our older teammates lost his spot as an Oline guy on the practice squad for the dolphins and asked to move in with us. Arguably one of the most fun times in my life.

Anyway, me and my roomate would pull a$$ out to the ranch, and fat boy would eventually provide comic relief and entertainment for all. One evening, we bring a bevy of girls back to the house with promises of booze, food, jacuzzi's pools, skinny dipping in onion creek etc. 10 chicks, 3 dudes.

Roomy loved him some crown and coke, fat boy just love straight whiskey.... I was a scotch and rocks man at that point. So we are in the living room with all these girls, and fatty is out on the deck grilling pork tenderloin and chicken... drunk off his arse-- and feeling a little neglected by the ladies. Next thing you know, his drunk a$$ is standing infront of the big nay window in the living room, naked, with both arms extended out..... like Jesus on the cross.

All 320 pounds of him, butt naked..... with his twig and berries tucked between his thighs..... quoting the scene from "Silence of the Lambs" saying "I would fvck me! I would fvck me sooooo hard!!!!".

Of course half the girls died laughing and the other half turned away in disgust.... but these were the sort of shenanigans we did. This was on a tuesday...........
Reminds me of some of my college teammates. Nowadays they’d #metoo your ass for some shit like that.

Reminds me of some of my college teammates. Nowadays they’d #metoo your ass for some shit like that.
Nah bro. They wouldn't have the ammo. Allegedly, there were cameras in the house. Allegedly.

And I know what you're thinking. "It's illegal to have cameras in a place without ppl knowing about it...... you can get in trouble for that...".

Let me ask you this.

What would you rather be charged with? Rape? Or videotaping a consensual act that would absolve you of a rape accusation? I'm going to go with the latter.

Nah bro. They wouldn't have the ammo. Allegedly, there were cameras in the house. Allegedly.

And I know what you're thinking. "It's illegal to have cameras in a place without ppl knowing about it...... you can get in trouble for that...".

Let me ask you this.

What would you rather be charged with? Rape? Or videotaping a consensual act that would absolve you of a rape accusation? I'm going to go with the latter.
Oh we did the same thing back then. We called them "proof tapes." Used to prove innocence? Hell naw!

"Bro, you didn't get any."
"To hell I didn't! Want proof? Grab a brew & watch this!"

Disclaimer: I have since seen the error in my younger ways & made right with sweet baby Jesus.

Last edited:

Yep, that's the one I was thinking of. She just couldn't accept that not everyone thought Case was the next qb god. He was a Horn that gave us one of our more memorable wins ( SCORBOARD aggys!) & will always be appreciated for it. Not everyone can be the g.o.a.t.

Oh we did the same thing back then. We called them "proof tapes." Used to prove innocence? Hell naw!

"Bro, you didn't get any."
"To hell I didn't! Want proof? Grab a brew & watch this!"

Disclaimer: I have since seen the error in my younger ways & made right with sweet baby Jesus.
I never felt the need for proof. The next morning at breakfast when one of your boys says "Dude, who was murdering a cat in a washing machine last night?" all you need do is smile.

Now you're just trying to antagonize me........ I could never be one of those fat, lazy, holding on every play, farting in the huddle, smelly ba$tards.

You just outed yourself as a DL, colb.

Yep, that's the one I was thinking of. She just couldn't accept that not everyone thought Case was the next qb god. He was a Horn that gave us one of our more memorable wins ( SCORBOARD aggys!) & will always be appreciated for it. Not everyone can be the g.o.a.t.

Y'all talking about ColtRocks12? Lol, yeah she was funny.

Clob wasn't DL although in todays game they would have made him eat his way up to play as a 5 tech.

Maybe that's why the Owls beat us. Dangit clob, what happened that night? Rice bro....rice.
Funny guy. That was the sh!ttiest weather I've ever seen. Their turf was more akin to a concrete slab that was soaked in quakerstate. I thought for sure that mackoprick had coached his last game after that debacle.

I believe that game was in 94. I thought the 94 game was more of a debacle on offense. I didn't get there until 95 but I do believe in 95 they ripped our shorts with the option. Clob can correct me if I am wrong but basically they would run the either veer or mid line away from Chris Akins and _arnell didn't have any adjustments.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT