ADVERTISEMENT

manning vs ewers

Back in the 80's, 90's and early 2000's I was a college scout for Max Emfinger in the Houston area. Guys who I filmed and did write ups on and who stood out back then off of the top of my head were James Brown, Leeland McElroy, Rodney Thomas, Patrick Bates, Casey Hampton, Tommy Jeter, Brian White, Keith Frierson, Terry Venetouleous, Jeff Huff, Vince Young, Doug Womack, Brandon Backe, Drew Tate, Ell Roberson, Jermaine Alford, Clint Stoerner, Corey Pullig, Chris Colon, Kevin Colon, Corey Redding, Odell James. I know that I'm leaving out a lot of guys.

This was back in Clob's era. he can probably fill in the blanks of guys that I've left out. I'd have to say it's a toss up as to who was the most impressive between McElroy and VY. Both were freaks. That said, no disrespect to the others mentioned. Fun times back in the day.
Damn man, that is cool. I don't read every single post on here but, that is the first I here of you scouting. I remember most of those guys. I remember Tommy Jeter and Shane Dronnett were huge gets. I remember how cool it was to get my hands on the Dallas Morning News here and there when it had all of the recruiting stuff and the color pics after Texas/ou game. I have been in west Texas all of my life, thus I never had access to all of that.

Damn man, that is cool. I don't read every single post on here but, that is the first I here of you scouting. I remember most of those guys. I remember Tommy Jeter and Shane Dronnett were huge gets. I remember how cool it was to get my hands on the Dallas Morning News here and there when it had all of the recruiting stuff and the color pics after Texas/ou game. I have been in west Texas all of my life, thus I never had access to all of that.
At least your plumbing is indoors now, right? :rolleyes:

Reactions: westx
I'm not sure how this became Manning vs Young, but I would never make that comparison.

VY as a collegiate athlete is so incredibly unique, that he is very hard to compare to anyone. How many 6'5" 240lb QB's do you see that can extend plays, escape the pocket, and elude defenders at that level? The answer is 1.
That being said, zone read(veer) concepts with the player I just described and a combination of Romonce Taylor/Jamal Charles is an absolute nightmare. Include an oline that is as good a group as any Texas has ever had, you have a NC football offense. However, the thing that truly mad VY special cannot be coached or designed.
There was not play in the playbook that said, drop back and when no one is open, dodge 3 guys in the pocket, roll to the right and run by everyone for a 75 yard touchdown.

Offense's (complicated offenses) can be designed for QB's with great mechanics, great accuracy, and extremely high football IQ. How many times in the last 12 years, have we complained about our QB's being inaccurate with the football or late with a throw on a route 15+ yards down field? From the tape I have seen of Arch, he has no problem with any of that.

Reactions: Hoookem722
accuracy-vs-arm strength....didnt Ellinger have a strong arm? He just could not hit the side of a barn from the inside.

Reactions: LAY THE WOODY
accuracy-vs-arm strength....didnt Ellinger have a strong arm? He just could not hit the side of a barn from the inside.
I don't think Ellinger gets the credit he deserves. He did a lot for us in his 4 years. He made a lot of plays behind a somewhat shaky offensive line and I think he covered up some of Herman's coaching errors. He had consistency issues. He missed throws do some type of mechanics flaw in his delivery. He needs to go knock on Jordan Palmers door and let him work his magic. He has the tools to be an NFL starter.

Reactions: ElDiabloTejano
Ehlinger’s throws outside the hashes are what he struggled with. He was just so inconsistent all the way around throwing the ball. Guy had the biggest heart of any player I can ever remember at Texas. He was a warrior.

Ehlinger’s throws outside the hashes are what he struggled with. He was just so inconsistent all the way around throwing the ball. Guy had the biggest heart of any player I can ever remember at Texas. He was a warrior.
Along the lines of Colt. Imo.

uh Woody....just when I was thinking you were a guy that knew what was going on....I think Colt averaged over 70% completions. Hardly inconsistent I would think....
You guys need another Colt, you know it. Another Mack? 😁

Last edited:
uh Woody....just when I was thinking you were a guy that knew what was going on....I think Colt averaged over 70% completions. Hardly inconsistent I would think....
Heart,consistency and game control was what I was referring to brother. Colt made Mack look like a genius. Imo. I give Mack some props of course but, Colt made his run possible. Smart kid and I believe he's still in the NFL?

Reactions: oldhorn2
Arm strength is horribly overrated and the differences between the 2 are minimal at best.

I'm way more concerned about accuracy and Manning has no issues in that department. In addition, Manning has had years of tutelage from multiple people that have played QB at the highest possible level.
That was 50 yds in the air on the money

I read on another board that supposedly Bama is now the school to beat for Manning. Who knows, it wouldn’t surprise me though.

I heard the opposite. Who knows.
Exactly. He just visited Bama this past weekend, so of course there's going to be "speculation" about them leading. From what I am seeing and reading Texas is the leader, and it's really not even that close. Bama is trying to even close on another QB because they feel they are losing out on Manning.

It's all over the board right now and this will probably drag out for a bit longer, probably trying to finalize a NIL deal. But what I do understand is that there are a bunch of others waiting to pull the trigger once he does.

We have one and the other is on the way. Good call Nostradamus.
Oh he signed? Really? When did this happen?

Oh wait.... he didn't sign. You're simply guessing whilst talking sh!t.

Let me let you in on a little secret-- if signing day were held today, Arch Manning goes to Georgia or Clemson.

Now, you can sit there with your tiny pecker in your hand and pound it as hard as you want, but that's ALSO not going to change the fact that Texas is running 3rd right now at best-- I hope we DO land the kid-- but I'm TELLING you.... right now- as of this past week-- Texas is NOT in the driver seat.

Reactions: LAY THE WOODY
I don't think Ellinger gets the credit he deserves. He did a lot for us in his 4 years. He made a lot of plays behind a somewhat shaky offensive line and I think he covered up some of Herman's coaching errors. He had consistency issues. He missed throws do some type of mechanics flaw in his delivery. He needs to go knock on Jordan Palmers door and let him work his magic. He has the tools to be an NFL starter.
Eh... I think most people see Sam for what he was-- a tough as nails kid with a heart the size of a V8 engine. But arm strength... I mean, I'm sure he could bench press the house-- but I've seen him throw pretty much every route there is and I never saw him stand on it and throw a BB. His out routes either fluttered like a wounded quail of ended up at shoe string height. You know you've GOT to be able to stand on your toes and throw that deep out on an ice rope. Especially if you want to be successful in the NFL. Even Brady, who doesn't have the best arm, was teased by Bellichek about his crappy out throws.

If I recall, the comment during film once (according to Brady) was "two superbowl rings and you still can't throw the fvcking out?"-- OK Bill.... but he could make every other throw and read the D with his eyes closed.
Sam's a good kid-- no doubt. But an NFL starter? Ehhhhhh....

Let me let you in on a little secret-- if signing day were held today, Arch Manning goes to Georgia or Clemson.

Now, you can sit there with your tiny pecker in your hand and pound it as hard as you want, but that's ALSO not going to change the fact that Texas is running 3rd right now at best-- I hope we DO land the kid-- but I'm TELLING you.... right now- as of this past week-- Texas is NOT in the driver seat.
He's already ruled out Clemson. Georgia is recruiting 2 other quarterbacks. He loathes Tuscaloosa. Texas is home, just as it would have been for Eli had Mack Brown not fvcked up and signed Simms. BTW, I identify as a Romulan; we have 3 enormous peckers.

He's already ruled out Clemson. Georgia is recruiting 2 other quarterbacks. He loathes Tuscaloosa. Texas is home, just as it would have been for Eli had Mack Brown not fvcked up and signed Simms. BTW, I identify as a Romulan; we have 3 enormous peckers.
Starfish kinda guy? I mean yer own?

Clemson isn’t even the mix.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT