ADVERTISEMENT

Mayfield crying

He could go to Cleveland fight for the starting position and get Manziel old locker and make it a shrine then see his career start to Tumble like Manziel and tries to go to UT parties and gets kicked out
If I'm Cleveland, I've got the 1st pick and what...4th pick also? I draft Baker #1 over all, put panic in the minds of the other franchises, and then auction off that 4th pick for about 4 years worth of 1st round picks.

Mayfield, regardless of being douchey at times...
At times? Some of the time? No, it's a feature of his program, not a bug. How many times was he on tv this season crying like a girl and blubbering an apology for his actions? Saying "that's not me" and "that's not how I was raised". Umm, after a while, well yeah that is you kid. Go talk so more trash to the opposing team, plant a flag, grab your crotch and do your gay windmill sprint some more. And then say I'm sorry again...

Reactions: dj701919
At times? Some of the time? No, it's a feature of his program, not a bug. How many times was he on tv this season crying like a girl and blubbering an apology for his actions? Saying "that's not me" and "that's not how I was raised". Umm, after a while, well yeah that is you kid. Go talk so more trash to the opposing team, plant a flag, grab your crotch and do your gay windmill sprint some more. And then say I'm sorry again...

Forgot.

pic.twitter.com/CgLGYZqq1u

Reactions: Scholz
What system?

My point is a spread, zone read, air raid, type of offense. The only one that I can think of in my mind might be Marcus Mariota, but I think the jury is still out on him at this point. A good example, Texas Tech QB's have put up video game type of stats in college, but none of them have come close to doing anything in the NFL. Why? Pat Mahomes will have the opportunity to break the stereotype, and if there is any coach who can develop at QB like him, its Andy Reid.

So you want to know who has been successful that wasn't a drop back pocket passing QB?

Can you let me who the current QBs you consider successful are?

Bubba, my point is I don't recall any "system" QB having much success in the NFL. If I'm wrong, or missing someone, who would it be?

I don't know what you are defining a system QB as, nor what your version of success in the NFL is. If it's spread then yes there are what I consider to be successful versions of spread QBs in the NFL.

The best example of what I think you are referring to as a system QB that has had the pinnacle of success in the NFL is Aaron Rodgers. Your system nonsense was what was being said 10+ years ago when he was coming out. Fast forward to now and it makes even less sense as the spread and all it's forms is everywhere in college. So it's inevitable that spread QBs are going to have success in the NFL because spread QBs are going to make up the overwhelming majority of the talent pool.
You can make a list of QBs in the NFL and there are college spread guys on it and that list is doing nothing but growing.

There are plenty of other spread QBs in the NFL. Not sure what your level of success is. Cam Newton would be the next guy up.

Tom Brady was a drop back, pocket passer at Michigan.
Meh...... but the argument can be made that the belechek system has been successful. It's all abject argumentative BS as to what a "system" really is.

"Your system nonsense". Apparently you can't have a civil discussion without showing respect to someone with an opinion that differs from yours without turning to insults. I've already explained to you what I consider a "system" offense, and asked you to provide the QB's who have found success in the NFL. You have mentioned only Aaron Rodgers and Cam Newton. If you don't like my take on the subject, feel free to not respond or comment on my posts about the subject. It's not that difficult for most people to have a civil, respectful back and forth discussion on something like this.

"Say what you want about Mayfield..."

OK, he's a complete douchebag.

"Your system nonsense". Apparently you can't have a civil discussion without showing respect to someone with an opinion that differs from yours without turning to insults. I've already explained to you what I consider a "system" offense, and asked you to provide the QB's who have found success in the NFL. You have mentioned only Aaron Rodgers and Cam Newton. If you don't like my take on the subject, feel free to not respond or comment on my posts about the subject. It's not that difficult for most people to have a civil, respectful back and forth discussion on something like this.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_quarterback

Reactions: LonghornMM
Again, BM didn’t play in a system, he played scramble drill. Also, I get the feeling he isn’t very coachable.

"System QB" seriously bubba every Texas Tech QB that threw for 10,000 yards in a year and only had 6 offensive plays to learn in the playbook......that is a "system QB". If that isnt a "system QB" then im sure you can explain why every Tech QB under Leach was plugged in and threw for record setting yards year in and year out but for some odd reason the NFL isnt littered with Mike Leach record setting system QBs.

"System QB" seriously bubba every Texas Tech QB that threw for 10,000 yards in a year and only had 6 offensive plays to learn in the playbook......that is a "system QB". If that isnt a "system QB" then im sure you can explain why every Tech QB under Leach was plugged in and threw for record setting yards year in and year out but for some odd reason the NFL isnt littered with Mike Leach record setting system QBs.

Mayfield isn't a Leach QB though, and the NFL is littered with college spread aka "system" QBs. The idea is outdated because the spread has evolved a ton and so has the NFL. 20 years ago yeah it made sense to describe the Leach QBs as system QBs because they had little arm or physical talent but you had to reconcile their statistics. The spread encompasses so much more than a Mike Leach offense these days, and the best QBs are often running offenses with a lot of spread based principles. The NFL can't survive on only drafting QBs from traditional offenses. Spread aka "system" QBs have had success in the NFL. No, Tech QBs haven't, but that doesn't mean spread aka "system" QBs haven't.

I am not saying Mayfield is going to be great in the NFL just that the system QB argument doesn't make sense. He has actual physical tools and arm talent. He wasn't only successful because his offense preyed on weaker schools. He's played big time programs and shown those physical tools.

Meh, I haven't seen any "system" QB's have any real, sustainable success in the NFL. Yes, the NFL has evolved with some of the spread type play calling spilling over into the league to some degree, and most likely at some point, "system" QB's will find success, but for the most part, none have found much success. I guess Scam Newton would be the best example of a guy who has found success, but he's not very consistent.

We will see how Mahomes does to finally get an argument about a Tech qb

He could simply suck because he isn't good enough regardless of what system he ran in college. It's not like plenty of pro style QBs haven't flat out sucked in the NFL. There is more than one variable in the equation.

Reactions: weevilcatch
Meh, I haven't seen any "system" QB's have any real, sustainable success in the NFL. Yes, the NFL has evolved with some of the spread type play calling spilling over into the league to some degree, and most likely at some point, "system" QB's will find success, but for the most part, none have found much success. I guess Scam Newton would be the best example of a guy who has found success, but he's not very consistent.

Aaron Rodgers, Alex Smith, Cam Newton. Younger guys looking good Jared Goff and DeShaun White.

If Cam Newton is not a successful NFL QB in your mind, then your bar is too high, and I would then take the under of any QB regardless college being a success by your standards.

Like I said above there are so many variables that need to go in your favor to make great NFL QB. What you did in college is just one of them. There are plenty of QBs that have come from spread offenses and had success by my standards. There aren't a lot that have won MVPs and Superbowls, but if that is your bar for success you could say that about every QB drafted and be right 99 out of 100 times. Plenty have carved out decent careers though.

Last edited:
Baker won so much hardware this year, I ain’t thinking he cares about your opinion. The truth is Oklahoma over achieved while Baker played there. Sooner board fans are demanding Lincoln fire Mike. They just signed 9 defensive players in the early signing period. That would be a bad move now. I’m enjoying the boards especially SS. Damn they are a brilliant bunch. This board is having fun because OU got beat. That figures from fans of a 7-6 team that throttled mighty Missouri forced to use a first time offfensive play caller. Back to comparing hardware again. I’m sorry if this offends anyone. This is the only board I post on. Anyway you need to get better to talk smack. It’s meaniless at the present time.

Baker won so much hardware this year, I ain’t thinking he cares about your opinion. The truth is Oklahoma over achieved while Baker played there. Sooner board fans are demanding Lincoln fire Mike. They just signed 9 defensive players in the early signing period. That would be a bad move now. I’m enjoying the boards especially SS. Damn they are a brilliant bunch. This board is having fun because OU got beat. That figures from fans of a 7-6 team that throttled mighty Missouri forced to use a first time offfensive play caller. Back to comparing hardware again. I’m sorry if this offends anyone. This is the only board I post on. Anyway you need to get better to talk smack. It’s meaniless at the present time.

Seems you're the one that got offended since you wrote a paragraph about us talking smack on our board about a rival. :eek:

Aaron Rodgers, Alex Smith, Cam Newton. Younger guys looking good Jared Goff and DeShaun White.

If Cam Newton is not a successful NFL QB in your mind, then your bar is too high, and I would then take the under of any QB regardless college being a success by your standards.

We just have different opinions on QB's who ran the spread in college and their training/skill set, or lack of, transferring to the NFL. No big deal. IMO a QB that runs more of a prototypical, drop back under center style in college has a much better chance to succeed in the NFL than a spread QB that never goes under center, runs around and plays sand lot football. A big part of spread QB's success in college is running around all over the field, and no QB will stay healthy in the NFL if that is part of their game. Not to say that some won't find success, but until the NFL adapts spread offenses, they have an uphill climb.

I don't disagree with that then, everything else being equal I would pick the guy who ran an offense most similar to the team that was drafting him. Things are rarely equal though and given success at QB relies so much on the mental processing rather than actual physical ability it's a total crapshoot with the limited foresight to the mental side.

Reactions: LonghornMM
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT