ADVERTISEMENT

MBB-Shaka Smart-FBI

I'm getting to the point where I really don't give a damn. 40 years ago when Universities hardly made money and the best of teams were on TV maybe 2-3 times a year it was a big deal. Now, it is ignorant to think these guys shouldn't be getting something a little extra than a degree payed for.

They can't get jobs, they can't have a friends dad pay for a meal, they can't get a clothing allowance...etc., etc., etc.

They can't get jobs, they can't have a friends dad pay for a meal, they can't get a clothing allowance...etc., etc., etc.

If you're on a full scholly what do you need a job for? (My bad didn’t mean to say why do they need jobs. Meant why do the schools need to pay them.)

I pay for my kids school, housing, food, car etc.. no full scholly.

You're telling me that the parents can't feed their kids anymore after they leave for school?

Parents responsibilities don't stop the good thing these parents get for their sons is the school pays for their education. All they should have to pay for is exactly what the parents were paying for when they went thru high school.

Last edited:
Reactions: HornDrummer
The talking points are always extreme examples of athletes not being able to order a pizza Friday night which isn't the case, but an argument of what do they need jobs for is equally as ridiculous.

What do any of us need jobs beyond providing for beyond providing for a basic apartment and a cafeteria meal plan?

honestly, when i saw Texas, i was hoping for smart, for...ummm... justifiable reasons

tenor.gif

Reactions: RolloTomassi0309
I think they get a stipend these days right? I think they should be able to give everyone a stipend if they want to. whether its just for scholarship kids or everyone who makes the team, but some sort of monthly allowance, nothing extravagent. Say $500 for freshmen, 750 for sophmores, 1000 for juniors and 1250 for seniors. Everyone else is making money, and yes the kids are getting fine educations for free but that's not the same as cash. It might be naive to think but maybe some of the cheating that goes on with recruiting would subside some if you as a recruit knew you'd get a cash stipend no matter where you go. Then again it would be a competitive disadvantage for schools who cant afford it. It would probably cost a few hundred thousand a year. but im pretty sure no p5 school would have a problem

believe it or not....there are kids whose parents (if they have parents, and not just single mom/dad) barely scraping by...have nothing. I cant remember which coach it was some years ago that got into trouble because a kids grandmother died, and he bought the kid a ticket so he could go to the funeral.....some folks are broke. The kid is not allowed to even get a summer job to make some money to use during the year.

This is a hard problem. I am sure it affects every school.

They are adults and they are allowed to want things beyond their apartment and meal plan, and it doesn't matter if some of those things are deemed unnecessary by someone else.

They are adults and they are allowed to want things beyond their apartment and meal plan, and it doesn't matter if some of those things are deemed unnecessary by someone else.

You’re right pay them their money. Every student athlete should get paid their tuition plus more. They all have earned it!

If you're on a full scholly what do you need a job for?

I pay for my kids school, housing, food, car etc.. no full scholly.

You're telling me that the parents can't feed their kids anymore after they leave for school?

Parents responsibilities don't stop the good thing these parents get for their sons is the school pays for their education. All they should have to pay for is exactly what the parents were paying for when they went thru high school.

Kids get a monthly stipend on full scholarship. They probably don't need a job, but it isn't even an option for athletes. That is dumb IMO.

Some parents can't pay for their kids in college. Probably not a majority, but some can't

Now, neither of those things are the issue. The issue is that the NCAA came up with this bullshit term "student-athlete" and hold these kids from being able to make some money on the market they create for themselves. It is asinine. The NCAA commish really needs a $3MM/year salary? Really?

A kid commits a violation if he has his dinner paid for by someone that wants to take them out. A kid commits a violation if he earns money by selling his possessions. Etc., etc.

If you can't see the rules are extremely outdated with how much TV money is generated now then I guess we can't move this conversation forward.

You’re right pay them their money. Every student athlete should get paid their tuition plus more. They all have earned it!

Let them have jobs. Do you really not understand your "why do they need jobs" comment is ridiculous? Why do you live in a means beyond an apartment and a meal plan?

When I was in school, full scholly players were not allowed to have a job except in the summer time. That rule has sense changed. You can have a part time job.

Also, the vast majority of athletic programs don't make any money. If you give a stipend to the football team, you have to give it to everyone--- men's and women's. All sports. The big schools like texas, Ohio state, forida etc can afford this. The Tulsa, wichita state, louisiana techs of the world can't do this. At that point, top recruits would only go to schools that could afford to pay their athletes and every other school would get scrubs.

You can't pay players. We've been dow this road before.

Let them have jobs. Do you really not understand your "why do they need jobs" comment is ridiculous? Why do you live in a means beyond an apartment and a meal plan?

When I was in school, full scholly players were not allowed to have a job except in the summer time. That rule has sense changed. You can have a part time job.

Also, the vast majority of athletic programs don't make any money. If you give a stipend to the football team, you have to give it to everyone--- men's and women's. All sports. The big schools like texas, Ohio state, forida etc can afford this. The Tulsa, wichita state, louisiana techs of the world can't do this. At that point, top recruits would only go to schools that could afford to pay their athletes and every other school would get scrubs.

The financial dictates of the future are going to winnow out the schools that cannot make money in sports. At some point, schools that are not profitable will go away or become something different than they are currently. There is going to be a massive consolidation at the D1 level. It's prolly going to occur when the TV ad rev dries up.

The financial dictates of the future are going to winnow out the schools that cannot make money in sports. At some point, schools that are not profitable will go away or become something different than they are currently. There is going to be a massive consolidation at the D1 level. It's prolly going to occur when the TV ad rev dries up.
If you paid athletes what they were worth to the school, all non football and basketball players would get a bill. Title IX makes paying players nearly impossible. If it becomes an employee/employer relationship, why force the schools to have non-revenue sports?

Cool let them get jobs my bad. Didn’t mean for it to sound like I cared if they work I do care that the school should pay them. If you’re gonna pay an athlete it needs to be across the board since they all need money right?

believe it or not....there are kids whose parents (if they have parents, and not just single mom/dad) barely scraping by...have nothing. I cant remember which coach it was some years ago that got into trouble because a kids grandmother died, and he bought the kid a ticket so he could go to the funeral.....some folks are broke. The kid is not allowed to even get a summer job to make some money to use during the year.

In these situations I do feel the school should work with the students. ANY student. Athletes are not the only broke kids going to school. I know they have rules that other students don’t have to abide by but yes the school/NCAA should help.

Every student athlete at UT was paid a stipend of $4310 for the 15-16 school year.

You guys need to get your facts straight before posting.

If the athlete’s or coaches can’t follow the rules they signed up for they they need to not accept the scholarship or the coaching job.

Last edited:

No, you can't pay them equally but to disallow them from making money on a market they have made for themselves is ludicrous...and a bit communist.

Not giving top players that are ADVERTISED by the NCAA some kind of bonus while the commish of a non-profit makes $3MM/year is also stupid.

So when a kid takes a $1500 payment I really don't give a shit.

Every student athlete at UT was paid a stipend of $4310 for the 15-16 school year.

You guys need to get your facts straight before posting.

If the athlete’s or coaches can’t follow the rules they signed up for they they need to not accept the scholarship or the coaching job.

Who said they don't get a stipend? And boy, what I would do with $500 a month!!! Whew!

Let them get paid by EA sports for using their likeness. Let them get $1500 for signing 100 football helmets. Let them get paid if the NCAA uses said player to push their money making game/tournament/etc.

None of that would be on the school.

Did I read that Prince Ibeh got a free meal? $37.? The horror.

I wonder how all these things like a meal over years ago all of a sudden comes to light? Not saying it's not against the rules just seems like these agents or whatever are planning to cause future trouble for some reason.

I cant remember which coach it was some years ago that got into trouble because a kids grandmother died, and he bought the kid a ticket so he could go to the funeral...
That was Larry Brown at Kansas. The kid didn't even commit to KU, but KU was sanctioned hard. We were banned from postseason play in '89, the last time we didn't make the NCAA tournament. The NCAA has since changed the rules to allow for a situation like this.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT