ADVERTISEMENT

MBB-Shaka Smart-FBI

It's considered a per diem. It's for the meals you miss on Sunday (even though the dining hall is open) and spring break etc.
QUOTE="brushycreekhorn, post: 10161957, member: 7010"]Every student athlete at UT was paid a stipend of $4310 for the 15-16 school year.

You guys need to get your facts straight before posting.

If the athlete’s or coaches can’t follow the rules they signed up for they they need to not accept the scholarship or the coaching job.[/QUOTE]

A lot of this is going on at the AAU level. Agents know the top kids are only going to be in college for a year so they offer kids money in exchange for signing with the agent after they are done with the NCAA tournament the next year.

Who said they don't get a stipend? And boy, what I would do with $500 a month!!! Whew!

Let them get paid by EA sports for using their likeness. Let them get $1500 for signing 100 football helmets. Let them get paid if the NCAA uses said player to push their money making game/tournament/etc.

None of that would be on the school.

Are you saying for all schools or just big schools?

Frankly.....if the FBI is investigating it, the investigation will roll on forever. Those fools couldnt find fleas on a junk yard dog.

Report: Texas players Eric Davis Jr., Prince Ibeh named in documents obtained in FBI
Investigation

https://www.hookem.com/2018/02/23/r...bis-ongoing-investigation-college-basketball/

Well damn. At least it happened under Rick Barnes not Shaka. Any guesses on what happens to Davis?

Edit: I see Isaiah Taylor is now part part of it.

Barnes says it happened after he left, but Ibeh was a Senior shaka’s First year and Taylor(who I guess rejected the benefits) had his eyes on the NBA shaka’s first year, so Itsmore likely those happened under Barnes.

Davis who knows, but regardless a player can have a dinner with an agent and a coach not know. It’s not a great look for the program but not that big a deal compared to whst they found with Louisville and Arizona where they are actually trying to bribe recruits.

I'm not advocating for schools to pay players. I'm advocating for players that have created a market with their talent that is used by others to make money, they should be compensated.
That word....... compensated..... what it means I think do not you know.

If you compensate someone, you're paying them bro. If only the rich schools can pay kids, kids will only go to the rich schools. Everybody else is sh!t out of luck.

Reactions: brushycreekhorn

If you compensate someone, you're paying them bro. If only the rich schools can pay kids, kids will only go to the rich schools. Everybody else is sh!t out of luck.
But all the top kids go to the rich schools right now so what would change?

I think you guys are not really trying to see my point.

If VY wants to make money off his autograph on some helmets, he should be allowed. Texas doesn't pay that fee...

If Durant is being used by the NCAA in ads to promote their millions to be made tournament the NCAA should pay for it. Texas doesn't pay that fee...

If a local business wants to use Cat Osterman in an advertisement, she should be allowed to. Texas doesn't pay that...

Those things can still be regulated. The rules are outdated and it is ludicrous.

I'm sure there are other examples

I'm not saying the schools pay the players. Holy shit. I've said that since way up at the top.

But all the top kids go to the rich schools right now so what would change?
That is slightly disingenuous. Steph currey went to davidson. Dwayne wayde went to marquette. With the NBA one and done rule however, yes, more kids are going to the top schools. But ask yourself, what does this do to college basketball? It makes it a fvcking joke. We have team now that struggle to score 70 points in a game.

Go back to the late 80s early 90s. Loyola marymount averaged 122 points per game. Hell, they had a game where the almost scored 150 points!

You think that was because we play such awesome defense now? You think fouls were called more liberally back then? No. It's because you had a dudes that knew how to play that were 22-23 years old.

Reactions: weevilcatch

And also, had you read my post a few above I used the word "paid." A few seconds to read could've saved a few minutes of arguing semantics.

But thanks for letting me know what compensated meant. I was at a real loss...

That is slightly disingenuous. Steph currey went to davidson. Dwayne wayde went to marquette. With the NBA one and done rule however, yes, more kids are going to the top schools. But ask yourself, what does this do to college basketball? It makes it a fvcking joke. We have team now that struggle to score 70 points in a game.

Go back to the late 80s early 90s. Loyola marymount averaged 122 points per game. Hell, they had a game where the almost scored 150 points!

You think that was because we play such awesome defense now? You think fouls were called more liberally back then? No. It's because you had a dudes that knew how to play that were 22-23 years old.
Steph Curry went to Davidson because he wasn’t recruited by the bigger schools. If Duke or unc had recruited him he wouldn’t of been at Davidson. My point is that no top guy is choosing Davidson if they can go to KU, UK or Texas. That will be the case regardless if you pay them or not. I’m not sure they should be paid but I don’t see anything wrong with letting them make money signing autographs for a few hours, or like the Ohio state kids did selling their championship gear for tattoos. I have no issue with stuff like that.

Last edited:

Loyola Marymount system is crap basketball. Full court m2m run and jump on D and jack up as many 3's as you can. That system makes Tom Penders look like a basketball guru. There is a D3 school that runs it. They average well over 100 pints every year. The are usually a .500 team.

Here is my stance on paying players. I think we probably should. Why should all the money go to coaches, ADs, tv and ncaa execs when their jobs are basically dependent on the players. Even if you don’t think they should be paid I don’t see why they can’t make money signing autographs, or whatever if someone is willing to pay them to do so.

Universities don’t stop music students from writing and selling music they right, many business students own and operate business while going to school. Those type of things are not only allowed to do that but it’s celebrated by the school. Yes I know some of those students aren’t on scholarship from the school, but I’m sure there are many that are on academic scholarships, and they don’t have it taken away from them because they were successful and made money. Not sure why athletics can’t work the same way. If you can make 1000 bucks in a weekend signing autographs why not?

Read your post did I. A joke made I did. Sense of humor you lack.

And also, had you read my post a few above I used the word "paid." A few seconds to read could've saved a few minutes of arguing semantics.

But thanks for letting me know what compensated meant. I was at a real loss...

The whole sports ediface, pro and ncaa, is coming under great pressure from falling ad revenue. No need to fight over this. Best to sit back and watch it fall and see what comes out of the ashes.

The whole sports ediface, pro and ncaa, is coming under great pressure from falling ad revenue. No need to fight over this. Best to sit back and watch it fall and see what comes out of the ashes.
The only way this collapse would have been more catastrophic than it's going to be now---- was instead of being over money--- if it were over vagina.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT