ADVERTISEMENT

Men’s Hoops: Do you care?

Also the Lady Horns are in tournament. They're a 6 seed which is good for a first year coach. I don't know how far they'll go. Would it be a success if they win at least 1 game or should they win more? Either way

HookemHorns
Finally - some Women’s hoops talk! BU just won their 11th Big 12 Tournament title, and 11th STRAIGHT regular season title! Mulkey is the greatest coach, man or woman, any sport, this side of Coach K. And she’s younger than Vic Schaefer. Sorry Vic - you’re not going anywhere in the Big 12 Until she calls it quits.

Finally - some Women’s hoops talk! BU just won their 11th Big 12 Tournament title, and 11th STRAIGHT regular season title! Mulkey is the greatest coach, man or woman, any sport, this side of Coach K. And she’s younger than Vic Schaefer. Sorry Vic - you’re not going anywhere in the Big 12 Until she calls it quits.
He put her out once....he will do it again. May take him a few years but it’s gonna happen.

Reactions: westx
Some coach named Eddie Reese says “Hello”.
But I get your sarcasm.

Diadevic don't get carried away about how great a coach she is. She's a great coach in top 3 among the greatest all time among women's coaches. But c'mon now how about Geno?

That being said Mulkey, Brittany Griner and RG3 combined to save Baylor athletics. She's won 3 titles and probably would have won a 4th last year if it hadn't been for covid. And 2 years ago her bears put a beat down on Geno's U Conn team. Baylor is ranked 6th and is a 2nd seed. Can they pull a U Conn and win men and women's titles? They do have a good team.

Reactions: diadevic
I believe Geno Auriemma may have a bit of an argument but I’ll give her 2nd place, for now.

Shaka Smart took VCU from the First Four to the Final Four back in 2011, winning five games to get there. Since then, Smart has just two tournament victories in six appearances (and none in his two prior trips as the Longhorns' head coach). Between VCU and Texas, his teams have lost four straight first-round games, as Nos. 5, 6, 7 and 10 seeds. Texas hasn't won a first-round game since 2014, so it's safe to say both the coach and school are desperate to dent the win column. This is the Longhorns' highest seed since 2008, which is also the last time they advanced to the second week of tourney play.

Shaka Smart took VCU from the First Four to the Final Four back in 2011, winning five games to get there. Since then, Smart has just two tournament victories in six appearances (and none in his two prior trips as the Longhorns' head coach). Between VCU and Texas, his teams have lost four straight first-round games, as Nos. 5, 6, 7 and 10 seeds. Texas hasn't won a first-round game since 2014, so it's safe to say both the coach and school are desperate to dent the win column. This is the Longhorns' highest seed since 2008, which is also the last time they advanced to the second week of tourney play.

I think this team has the players to make a deep run. Most of the teams we will face will be running man to man defense and I have yet to see a team outside of Baylor that has the physical talent that Texas has. Can't wait. I pull for all the Big 12 teams in the NCAA tournament. Personally, I see the B1G as the most overrated conference. I think we will see a lot of southern teams in the Sweet 16.

Reactions: JDCPAgolferHorn
Upset alert Chip Patterson from CBS has us losing to Abilene Christian cause they play Tech and Arky hard this year and lost and that Texas will be sleeping

Until Shaka puts together some runs in the tournament like Barnes and Penders did consistently, in no way does he deserve a contract extension.
Some of you have a fond memories of the Barnes era that don’t really match reality.
In 17, years at Texas he was out on the first weekend or missed the tournament 12 times in those 17 seasons. He had a couple runs to the elite 8 and a run to the final 4 with TJ Ford, but overall we were pretty disappointing in the tournament, and Barnes probably had better teams than Shaka has had here with the exceptions of this year. Barnes did a great job here not crushing him, but tournament wise we really didn’t have tge

Upset alert Chip Patterson from CBS has us losing to Abilene Christian cause they play Tech and Arky hard this year and lost and that Texas will be sleeping
ACU does not match up well against us. They are a dedicated man to man defensive team. Man D does not work well against superior athletes that can drive the lane.

The duesch bag is likely a bama fan hoping against hope that they don't get us in the sweet 16. OU spanked bama in the regular season. OU wasn't much competition for Texas at full strength.

Reactions: RoboCocks21
Some of you have a fond memories of the Barnes era that don’t really match reality.
In 17, years at Texas he was out on the first weekend or missed the tournament 12 times in those 17 seasons. He had a couple runs to the elite 8 and a run to the final 4 with TJ Ford, but overall we were pretty disappointing in the tournament, and Barnes probably had better teams than Shaka has had here with the exceptions of this year. Barnes did a great job here not crushing him, but tournament wise we really didn’t have tge
Silly me...I thought we were trying to upgrade.

Reactions: westx and oldhorn2

I was more than ready for Barnes to go by 2015, since he seemed to develop an irresistible addiction to self-sabotage with the way he handled his teams over his final seven years. There was also plenty to grumble about even during his best years. But during his first decade at Texas, once he had pulled Penders’ program out of the ditch, he looked like Tom Izzo in the tournament compared to what Shaka has done here so far. I’d take 1999 to 2008 (and especially 2002 to 2008) again with no complaints.

Last edited:
Silly me...I thought we were trying to upgrade.
Upgrade what? Barnes is a HOF coach. The chances of “upgrading” were slim, but it was time for both sides to get a fresh start. I’m just saying the idea we had all this tournament success under Barnes and it’s missing under Shaka is false.

also keep in mind in Shaka’s 2 tourment apperences with Texas we lost on a half court buzzer beater and a 2OT game.... yeah it sucks, but it happens. Bill self who when his career is said and done will be considered one of the greatest coaches ever lost to Bucknell and Bradley his first two years at KU

Upgrade what? Barnes is a HOF coach. The chances of “upgrading” were slim, but it was time for both sides to get a fresh start. I’m just saying the idea we had all this tournament success under Barnes and it’s missing under Shaka is false.

also keep in mind in Shaka’s 2 tourment apperences with Texas we lost on a half court buzzer beater and a 2OT game.... yeah it sucks, but it happens. Bill self who when his career is said and done will be considered one of the greatest coaches ever lost to Bucknell and Bradley his first two years at KU
So you’re saying Barnes is a HOF coach and had limited tournament success? On what basis is he a HOF coach if you also discount his tournament record?

The Final 4 is a helluva big deal and the Elite is a big deal

We make it to the Sweet 16 and I'll have some restored faith in Shaka.

Kris Budden the ESPN sideline reporter predicts Baylor and Texas will. bein the final 4. So that settles it.

Completed my office bracket. I have Texas making it to the Elite 8 where they lose to Michigan.

Last edited:
And the big 10 is already 0-1. I love it! The big 12 is the best basketball conference. The b12 will have the best overall tournament winning %.

Geno auriemma chuckled, then mumbled something under his breath, and best somebody by 70

Reactions: diadevic
Well, UCLA takes out Izzo and MSU, which I’m glad to see, but not what I picked in my pool.

Nor in mine, but I'm still glad to see it.

And the big 10 is already 0-1. I love it! The big 12 is the best basketball conference. The b12 will have the best overall tournament winning %.

I wonder why kenpom hates the Big 12 so much this year. Some bad OOC results, I guess.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT