ADVERTISEMENT

New staff rumors

I keep reading Major can't comeback because of the Bev lawsuit situation, but the only reason he was removed was because we hired a new coach. He'd still be coaching here had he not been guilty by association with Mack. I don't think we would be banning Herman from hiring Major.

this.. the bold. At the end of the day Major would be welcomed regardless of Bev lawsuit.

Strong may have brought his staff, but he was winning in Louisville with an NFL caliber QB..................Herman and the major converted a kid to QB and were winning.

I see a big difference and I'd be fine if he brought his entire staff from Houston.

I see a big difference and I'd be fine if he brought his entire staff from Houston.

Not me, I want the best, not a group of guys that just happen to be at the right place at the right time.

We need a big time DC that can get the job done. I'm not concerned about the OC as I think he is just a figure piece for Herman. As long as the OC can also be the QB coach and teach our young QBs how to play the game.

Our new DC need to be able to control the defense as autonomous figure.

Strong may have brought his staff, but he was winning in Louisville with an NFL caliber QB..................Herman and the major converted a kid to QB and were winning.

Not to mention, both Strongs OC and DC had already each been fired for failing at the same position in the BigXII (Watson at CU and Neb, Bedford at OSU)

This statement is a set up for you to complain later... Just remember that you and Herman might have different opinions on who the "best" is. Don't whine when he doesn't hire who you think he should.
The only person I've heard that I don't really like is Orlando. The more I seen of Houston's D the less impressed I was with him. I think Rohdes or Leviett would be solid hires.

It's not rocket science though defensive coaches need a strong OC and vice versa.

Hiring top notch coordinators is definitely a good thing but it is not all that matters. Saban and Meyer always have good coordinators because they are good leaders and demand excellence from their players and staff. Their coordinators leave for higher jobs and they just plug another one in and rarely see much difference in performance. If Herman has that quality he should be fine. One the other side of the spectrum you have Sumlin who can't seem to find a capable coordinator after several tries...could be bad leadership but who knows. It's hard to imagine that Chavis all of a sudden forgot how to stop the run after he has been so successful for so many years. So in summary, if Herman is a good leader his hires should turn out ok.

Reactions: freeper
Hiring top notch coordinators is definitely a good thing but it is not all that matters. Saban and Meyer always have good coordinators because they are good leaders and demand excellence from their players and staff. Their coordinators leave for higher jobs and they just plug another one in and rarely see much difference in performance. If Herman has that quality he should be fine. One the other side of the spectrum you have Sumlin who can't seem to find a capable coordinator after several tries...could be bad leadership but who knows. It's hard to imagine that Chavis all of a sudden forgot how to stop the run after he has been so successful for so many years. So in summary, if Herman is a good leader his hires should turn out ok.

That is because Saban and Meyer have systems in place. The system is everything. We don't have a system, we need top notch coordinators in order to create that system. Once the system is in place we can promote from within and create a machine like you see in Ohio State and Bama.

Reactions: freeper and DHHorn
The only person I've heard that I don't really like is Orlando. The more I seen of Houston's D the less impressed I was with him. I think Rohdes or Leviett would be solid hires.

It's not rocket science though defensive coaches need a strong OC and vice versa.

So the 10 sacks on Lamar Jackson and the complete and total destruction of Louisville's offense didn't impress you?

So the 10 sacks on Lamar Jackson and the complete and total destruction of Louisville's offense didn't impress you?
Sure by itself but

40 points to Navy
31 to Tulsa
38 to SMU
48 to Memphis

That's gotta concern you a bit.

Sure by itself but

40 points to Navy
31 to Tulsa
38 to SMU
48 to Memphis

Navy is #11 in points scored and has averaged 42 points a game so far this year. If they beat Temple in the CCG this weekend they will be this year's G5 team playing on New Years day. UH played that #2 rushing attacking in Annapolis in torrential rain from Matthew.

Tulsa is #6 in total O and #12 in scoring O at 41ppg. So UH held them 35% under their average.

SMU was a double whammy of injuries and the Big 12 announcing a few days before that game that the Big 12 was not expanding. Herman talking sh** before the game didn't help either.

Reactions: freeper
None of what your saying is incrrect but imo you can't just harp on the good things(OU. Louisville and FSU) and just explain away the red flags or potential red flags.

The only red flags with Herman are the lack of prolonged success at a given institution and resume that is similar to Strong's. That being said a change had to be made and Herman was the best available option.

The only red flags with Herman are the lack of prolonged success at a given institution and resume that is similar to Strong's. That being said a change had to be made and Herman was the best available option.
I'm not talking about Herman. I'm talking about Todd Orlando as the potential DC. Not sure he's the right guy.

Then talk about his scheme may not be a fit for our players instead of UH's record this year.
I didn't talk about Houstons recored. Pointed out that the defense gave up a lot of points to lesser teams. I'd give a pass on the navy game that's a tricky offense and they've beaten a lot of people over the years but the others are somewhat concerning.

I would go with Rhodes or Leveitt over Orlando. Not even that close

Navy is #11 in points scored and has averaged 42 points a game so far this year. If they beat Temple in the CCG this weekend they will be this year's G5 team playing on New Years day. UH played that #2 rushing attacking in Annapolis in torrential rain from Matthew.

Tulsa is #6 in total O and #12 in scoring O at 41ppg. So UH held them 35% under their average.

SMU was a double whammy of injuries and the Big 12 announcing a few days before that game that the Big 12 was not expanding. Herman talking sh** before the game didn't help either.
Yeah but except for all that.......Charlie Strong is not at Texas so Ryan will whine.

This and it wasn't close. The only other option was to keep someone who couldn't win and had proven it over a 3 year period.

Reactions: 4MNChampsHorn
Tom Herman convinced Ed Oliver to go to a non power 5 school. You can have your red flags. Give me Ed Oliver (and the guy who got him there).

Sure by itself but

40 points to Navy
31 to Tulsa
38 to SMU
48 to Memphis

So we need to be concerned about any candidate that has given up a lot of points to an opponent? I guess we need to narrow our search down to Jesus, because every coach that has ever coordinated a defense has been embarrassed at some point.

We're you aware that the Cleveland Browns once fired a coach after 5 season because his overall record was 36-44. Nobody thought he was a good coach either.

So we need to be concerned about any candidate that has given up a lot of points to an opponent? I guess we need to narrow our search down to Jesus, because every coach that has ever coordinated a defense has been embarrassed at some point.

We're you aware that the Cleveland Browns once fired a coach after 5 season because his overall record was 36-44. Nobody thought he was a good coach either.
Well according to Ryansublet-Strong....Texas needs a coach who is Undefeated and been a head coach for several years.......Has led the nation in offense and defense and special teams and walks on water.

Is that too much to ask? Come on...

Well according to Ryansublet-Strong....Texas needs a coach who is Undefeated and been a head coach for several years.......Has led the nation in offense and defense and special teams and walks on water.

Is that too much to ask? Come on...
No where will you ever see me saying any of that. Lying once again. In today's world though you can make up your own facts and spout them off till they are true. So I shouldn't be suprised.

How else are we suppose to judge how a defense and a DC has preformed if not by the points given up? Last I checked the object was to give up as few points as possible.

And it's not so much the points. It's who. I mean when your giving up a lot of points despite having better talent than that team. It's a concern. I just don't think Orlando would be a good hire.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT