ADVERTISEMENT

Next year for Texas

Anything less than 8 wins and I'm going to be pissed, we aren't in the B1G or the SEC, we are in the shitty Big 12. We should be dominating this league.
I agree. As crappy as Texas was THIS year they could have very well won 9 games if they had discipline and make just a handful of plays at crucial times. I think 8 is reasonable.

Shane is above average. Combine an above average QB with above average coaching = the answer to winning far more games than you lose.
I think Buechele as a true freshman threw the ball around as well or better than anyone I recall. I think the playcalling got really stale and his arm may have gotten a little tired as the year wore on but install a legitimate short passing game with some deep shots allowed each game and he'll be fine.

Strong was fired for not winning 7 or 8 games this year, because the talent was there for it, just like it will be there for Herman to win 9 or 10 games next season. If Strong was expected to win 7 or 8 games, then 10 is most definitely attainable next season. If not, then why was Herman hired, and Strong fired. I don't want to hear about a new offense, or a new defense. Several other coaches are winning with much less talent, so if he is a good coach, he'll get it done. The talent is there on both sides of the ball.

QB: Shane, Sam
RB: Warren, Porter, Johnson, Toneil
WR: Collins, Devin, Burt, Armanti, Leonard
OL: Williams, Vahe, Hudson, Okafur, Shackleford, Delance, Hodges, Anderson, McMillon, Imade, Major, Urquidez
TE: Blake Whitely

DL: Elliot, Giles, Roach, Poona, Nelson, Charles, Fitzgerald, Southhall, Daniels, Christmas
LB: Malik, Wheeler, Fowler, McCulloch, Hager, Hughes, Freeman, Townsend, Boyd
DB: Boyd, Hill, Jones, Elliot, Locke, Davis (should move to safety), Cuffee, Brown

What position is lacking for talent, except for TE? Coaches making a lot less, and playing with less talent, are winning. Most of those players were recruited by the best teams in the country, so the talent is there, and they are old enough at this point. It's no longer about Strong, or what anyone thought about the job he did, or what anyone expected or required of him; so I don't care about any of that, as it has no impact on the now. I expect Herman to win 9 or 10 games in his first year.

I don't disagree with the gist of your message, but I would like to know which coaches you are referring to that make a lot less than Herman that are winning with a lot less talent. Those type statements sound good, but are a bit hard to nail down.

Strong was fired for not winning 7 or 8 games this year, because the talent was there for it, just like it will be there for Herman to win 9 or 10 games next season. If Strong was expected to win 7 or 8 games, then 10 is most definitely attainable next season. If not, then why was Herman hired, and Strong fired. I don't want to hear about a new offense, or a new defense. Several other coaches are winning with much less talent, so if he is a good coach, he'll get it done. The talent is there on both sides of the ball.

QB: Shane, Sam
RB: Warren, Porter, Johnson, Toneil
WR: Collins, Devin, Burt, Armanti, Leonard
OL: Williams, Vahe, Hudson, Okafur, Shackleford, Delance, Hodges, Anderson, McMillon, Imade, Major, Urquidez
TE: Blake Whitely

DL: Elliot, Giles, Roach, Poona, Nelson, Charles, Fitzgerald, Southhall, Daniels, Christmas
LB: Malik, Wheeler, Fowler, McCulloch, Hager, Hughes, Freeman, Townsend, Boyd
DB: Boyd, Hill, Jones, Elliot, Locke, Davis (should move to safety), Cuffee, Brown

What position is lacking for talent, except for TE? Coaches making a lot less, and playing with less talent, are winning. Most of those players were recruited by the best teams in the country, so the talent is there, and they are old enough at this point. It's no longer about Strong, or what anyone thought about the job he did, or what anyone expected or required of him; so I don't care about any of that, as it has no impact on the now. I expect Herman to win 9 or 10 games in his first year.

It is definitely possible but I don't think you can place it entirely on Herman's shoulders in year one. He inherited the players who aren't his and is stuck with what he has. He is taking the place of a coach who the players loved and didn't want to leave, and was very vocal about wanting him to stay. Herman is basically the stepdad who the kids don't know and probably don't like right now. I think it depends just as much on the players to trust his process and not push back as much as it is on Herman to get them to buy in.

In all the Strong he "needs more time" or "this is a 5 year rebuild" excuse making someone on one of the boards looked at coaches taking over for major programs and they either won early or not at all. Not necessarily year 1, but there aren't usually long term rebuilds. Rosters completely turnover every 4-5 years, so rebuild excuses are already pretty flimsy.

The essence of his message is correct. There is no excuse not to win 8 or 9 games next year.
He said 10 games next year. There was no "essence" of my question to him. He said MANY coaches are winning with much less talent. I just want to hear who.

I think Herman will win at least 8 or 9 but to suggest if Herman does not win 10 (which is what he said) he sucks is foolish....especially from a team that had 3 LOSING seasons in a row.

Reactions: 4MNChampsHorn
He said 10 games next year. There was no "essence" of my question to him. He said MANY coaches are winning with much less talent. I just want to hear who.

I think Herman will win at least 8 or 9 but to suggest if Herman does not win 10 (which is what he said) he sucks is foolish....especially from a team that had 3 LOSING seasons in a row.

He wrote 9 or 10; you wrote 8 or 9: we're splitting hairs here. The point is 2017 is not a rebuilding year, it's a turn around year.

He wrote 9 or 10; you wrote 8 or 9: we're splitting hairs here. The point is 2017 is not a rebuilding year, it's a turn around year.
If Strong was expected to win 7 or 8 games, then 10 is most definitely attainable next season. If not, then why was Herman hired, and Strong fired.
he said 10 or else why was Herman hired and Strong fired. Not splitting hairs. Telling the truth. The point was this team has had 3 losing seasons in a row and everyone needs to have realistic expectations.

I personally think 8 or 9 should be the number and 10 or more is outstanding. The only surprise to me would be less than 8 wins.

that 2017 was not a rebuilding year, but rather a turn around year.

and I agree that less than 8 wins would be a surprise, but I was surprised last year

This is not a comment to bash Strong, but a major issue I saw this year is players who played well in 2015 took a step (or five) back. The kids played well as freshmen, and some were never heard of as sophomores. Boyd, Hill, Davis, and Burt were just wasted talent.
On top of that, I think its pretty easy to see that Malik was miss used, and Duvernay was under utilized. Jones is another talent that never saw the field. Patrick Hudson might have been a legitimate red shirt, but its hard to imagine him not being a factor next year.
My point is, Herman doesn't need to tear it all down and start over. All he has to do is do what Strong couldn't...utilize the talent at hand and get them to play competently. If he can do that, which remains to be seen, there is no reason why this team can't win 9 games. Who on the schedule is so good? USC and OU, then who?

This is not a comment to bash Strong, but a major issue I saw this year is players who played well in 2015 took a step (or five) back. The kids played well as freshmen, and some were never heard of as sophomores. Boyd, Hill, Davis, and Burt were just wasted talent.
On top of that, I think its pretty easy to see that Malik was miss used, and Duvernay was under utilized. Jones is another talent that never saw the field. Patrick Hudson might have been a legitimate red shirt, but its hard to imagine him not being a factor next year.
My point is, Herman doesn't need to tear it all down and start over. All he has to do is do what Strong couldn't...utilize the talent at hand and get them to play competently. If he can do that, which remains to be seen, there is no reason why this team can't win 9 games. Who on the schedule is so good? USC and OU, then who?
Well said horn01. Makes a ton of sense.

Reactions: horn01
I don't disagree with the gist of your message, but I would like to know which coaches you are referring to that make a lot less than Herman that are winning with a lot less talent. Those type statements sound good, but are a bit hard to nail down.

Great question. Herman is going to be making 5.25 million next year, which makes him the 5th highest paid coach, along with Jimbo Fisher. There are several coaches in the top 25 that don't make that much, and several of those teams don't have the talent of Texas. Examples are Colorado, Oklahoma State, West Virginia, Temple, Pittsburgh, Utah, Navy, Nebraska and Virginia Tech. Strong just wasn't a good coach at Texas, but the talent is in place.

No one "suggested if Herman does not win 10 he sucks," so does that make your comment foolish. You are touchy about this talent and pay discussion.

My point is exactly what Charlie Mang said it was, we have the talent to win 9 or 10 games. You are focused on the part about winning with less talent. See my post above to oldhorn, I gave examples.

No one "suggested if Herman does not win 10 he sucks," so does that make your comment foolish. You are touchy about this talent and pay discussion.

My point is exactly what Charlie Mang said it was, we have the talent to win 9 or 10 games. You are focused on the part about winning with less talent. See my post above to oldhorn, I gave examples.
You are changing the premise of your argument. You did not just say we have the talent to win 8 or 9 (I agree with that) you said if Texas does not win 10 games then why fire strong and hire Herman. You said it in nearly those exact words. I am not touchy at all. I just think if you say something either say you meant it differently or were wrong. Don't say you never said what can be read word for word in your post.

We have the talent to win every game on our schedule. There I said it.

We are good enough to beat Oklahoma and USC.

We might, then again, we might not. I'm not going to hold Herman to an undefeated season but I am going to hold him to a 10 win season. That gives him a 3 game margin for error. It's time for Texas to be Texas again.

You are changing the premise of your argument. You did not just say we have the talent to win 8 or 9 (I agree with that) you said if Texas does not win 10 games then why fire strong and hire Herman. You said it in nearly those exact words. I am not touchy at all. I just think if you say something either say you meant it differently or were wrong. Don't say you never said what can be read word for word in your post.

You changed the conversation, when you claimed that I said he would suck. I changed nothing, my point remains the same. He has the talent to win 9 or 10 games. My point came from everyone saying he can't do it, and he doesn't have the talent to do so. My point is he has the talent to do it, and if he doesn't have it in him to do so a coach, then why was he hired. Those should be the expectations, or why fire a coach for not winning 7 or 8 this year, which would have followed with more expectations the following season; meaning 9 or 10 wins THIS SEASON. So those expectations should remain the same, for the coach that Strong was replaced with. If not, what was the point. I'll repeat. Those should still be the expectations and it is attainable. You can't take my comments, and make it mean what you want it to. Especially when you try to say I said he would suck, which I never said or implied. Word for word huh, try again. You're wrong in your interpretation, and your "suck" comment was a flat out lie. You are overly sensitive about the conversation. We root for the same team and want the same results. I believe we will win 9 or 10 this year, and everything is in place. If not, I don't want to hear the same ole excuses that Strong used and everyone bought into. I want to see results.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT