Ohio State and Urban be troublin'

Discussion in 'Longhorn Sports' started by clob94, Aug 1, 2018.

1. clob94

clob94 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

So it turns out that one of Urban's assistant coaches likes to beat his wife and what not. The beaten wife went crying to Urban's wife and they engaged in a long period of text messages.

The story is developing now. Google it for updates.

2. ryan_sublett

ryan_sublett Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Not real surprising. Urban is as dirty as any coach in college football

3. outhereincali

outhereincali Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I heard about this story last week. The man's name is Zach Smith and he was the receivers coach.

Do you remember Earle Bruce? He was the coach at tOSU in the eighties. Anyway the woman that ahole was beating is Earle Bruce's granddaughter. Earle Bruce is venerated at tOSU. If I were that guy I'd get out of Ohio asap.

4. clob94

clob94 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Newsflash----

Who else was coaching on that Ohio state staff in 2015........?

This could entangle us.

5. DHHorn

DHHorn Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

My Google powers tell me this was their staff for the 2015 season. Does this mean we can get rid of Tim Beck?

Urban Meyer Head coach 4th Cincinnati (1986)
    Luke Fickell Co-Defensive Coordinator/Linebackers 14th Ohio State (1997)
    Chris Ash Co-Defensive Coordinator/Safeties 2nd Drake (1995)
    Larry Johnson Assistant Head Coach/Defensive Line 2nd Elizabeth City State (1973)
    Kerry Coombs Special Teams Coordinator/Cornerbacks 4th Dayton (1983)
    Tim Beck Co-Offensive Coordinator/Quarterbacks 1st Central Florida (1988)
    Ed Warinner Co-Offensive Coordinator/Offensive Line 4th Mount Union (1984)
    Tony Alford Assistant Head Coach/Running Backs 1st Colorado State (1992)
    Zach Smith Wide Receivers 4th Florida (2007)
    Tim Hinton Tight Ends, Fullbacks 4th Wilmington (1982)
    Quinn Tempel Offensive Graduate Assistant 1st Ohio State (2013)
    Mickey Marotti Assistant Athletic Director for Football Sports Performance 4th West Liberty (1987)

6. ryan_sublett

Expand Collapse

Eh I doubt it. I mean yes Beckwas the OC, but this is going to be Urban’s problem. Now if beck knew and didn’t tell Urban then that is a problem. Doesn’t appear to be the case though. besides. If beck was fired wouldn’t that be a positive?

7. Scholz

Scholz Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

That's adorable.

8. ryan_sublett

Expand Collapse

What’s that suppose to mean exactly? People like taking the big fish down. Urban Meyer is as big a fish as exists in college football next to Nick Saban. This woman allegedly texts Urban’s wife, so Urban presumably knew about it. The buck stops with him. This isn’t a situation where everyone on the staff knew and didn’t tell Dad. Urban knew and chose not to do anything. So the pitchforks are going to be out for Urban no one cares about the QB coach.

With that said if Tim beck did get caught up in this Texas championship odds probably go up a little so I’m not so sure it’s a bad thing.

9. clob94

clob94 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

My dudes,

Thus sh!t started in 2009 and continued through 2015. Multiple coaches wives knew about it. So anyone coaching on that staff from 2009 - 2015 is going to have to answer questions about who knew what and when.

This story is faaaaaaaaaaaaaaar from over.

10. Scholz

Scholz Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Just joking with you. I'm just saying Urban's not going anywhere. Just like Bob Stoops didn't with all of his wifebeater players. It would take the fanbase and administration caring. And they don't.

diadevic likes this.
  11. Scholz

Scholz Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Are you inferring Tom Herman? All it takes is two seconds of research to realize Smith was a Urban Meyer hire. Smith was at Florida with Meyer before Herman even entered the picture.

12. ryan_sublett

Expand Collapse

Eh I’d argue that players beating girls is a little different. Still not ok, but a little different than an actual university employee, and therefore employee of the state. Urban is in some shit here.

13. DHHorn

DHHorn Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I'm asking because I don't know the details, but didn't she file police reports and stuff like that? If the police didn't take action, the head coach didn't take action, then I'm having a hard time seeing how the other assistant coaches would be accountable. Maybe they should have beat him up or something?

westx likes this.
  14. mm42

mm42 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Does anyone really believe this will cost Urban his job? If so, the #metoo thing is way more powerful than I thought.

I'd go so far as saying Urban would likely keep his job If He was the one beating his wife. Ohio State is not screwing around, and they care. Care about winning, not necessarily other things.

15. ryan_sublett

Expand Collapse

This may not cause Urban is job, but what this will cause is digging which may lead to worse things. Plus Ohio atate has to on some level answer to state law makers they start calling for his ouster and things could get a little crazy

16. Scholz

Scholz Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

"Zach Smith had another domestic abuse allegation on his then-pregnant wife in 2009 while he was on Meyer’s staff at the University of Florida. Meyer said he knew about those allegations,but said last week that he would have fired Zach Smith if he knew about the 2015 incidents."

Toledo paper

17. mm42

mm42 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I'd hate to be the politician in Ohio trying to get Urban fired. Pretty sure a lot of people care more about beating Michigan again, than whether or not a politician has a D or R by his name. I would imagine most Ohio politicians keep their mouths shut for once.

18. ryan_sublett

Expand Collapse

For now they probably will, but this will probably get worse.

Look at the Baylor thing. It started with one incident. Reporters and investigators started digging around and the whole thing came crashing down.

19. LongfellowDrew

LongfellowDrew Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Wonder if he retires again due to "health reasons"....all of a sudden.

20. ryan_sublett

Expand Collapse

Probably most likely scenario. Funny how those health issues. Learned up almost exactly one year later.

21. LongfellowDrew

LongfellowDrew Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

New values posted this season.

Respect women...this goes for coaches too!

21 LongfellowDrew, Aug 1, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
  22. Belldozer1

Belldozer1 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I beg to differ, the nut grabbing that Mayfield did was the straw that broke the camel’s back for me. In protest, I refused to watch the 1st series of downs that Baker was suspended for.

23. diadevic

diadevic Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Placed on paid administrative leave. BU fired Briles.

24. Belldozer1

Expand Collapse

Diadevic I know you’re getting giddy over this and rightfully so I might add but Meyers going to have to have copious amounts of dirt exposed and lawsuits filed against him before he can take that hardware away from Briles.

25. diadevic

diadevic Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I'm not giddy at all. I just want consistency in outrage and punishment. I give OSU preliminary credit for, if nothing else, embarrassing Urban. Let's see if they are willing to go all the way and kick the cash cow to the curb. Bell - not wanting to side track the current thread - but I am still amazed at the power of the haves vs. the have nots. Baylor folded like a cheap suit, perhaps rightfully so, and is still getting slammed even today in the Dallas Morning News. It will take generations for us to recover. And yet OU PLAYED Joe Mixon despite an actual video, with zero repercussions. I am convinced Stoops and Boren "retired" so they could avoid what Urban is now facing in the current political environment.

Scholz likes this.
  26. clob94

clob94 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

So um....... all you dudes in here that posted about Meyer not getting fired, raise your hand.

Dude was just put on administrative leave just now. (With pay)
    This is how it starts--- by creating distance between the university and the accused.

Yes, Herman was on Meyer's staff and this WR coach was directly under him. Wrs coach wife not only texted Shelly Meyer about the incident but also "several other coaches wives over an extended period of time.....".

Fun fact--- Shelley Meyer is a registered nurse who is employed by Ohio state university medical hospital. If she was aware of the abuse and did not report it to proper authorities, that boys is a TITLE IX VIOLATION. Then the feds step in. This is going to be bad.

diadevic, LonghornMM and Belldozer1 like this.
  27. clob94

clob94 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Dear Private school,

Public schools (especially the bell cow state schools) have lots of money and influence and are backed by the state treasury........

Signed,

$$$$$$$

diadevic likes this.
  28. Belldozer1

Expand Collapse

All I’m saying Diadevic is I’m not willing to strip Briles of his rightly deserved medals for being evil and awarding them to Meyer just yet. I may change my mind if this drags out and has tentacles like the Baylor deal

diadevic likes this.
  29. JHop6714

JHop6714 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Suspended with pay pending an investigation. I think that's a smart move. We will see what happens. I hope there's no fallout to UT. I hope Herman or Beck aren't complicit.

30. Metcalf #2

Metcalf #2 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Hmm, it has seemed to me that there was some behind the scenes beef between Meyer and Herman. You know, ever since Meyer lashed out at Herman publicly for no good reason at all. Wonder if this could've had something to do with that.

31. Belldozer1

Expand Collapse

I’ve been perusing their roster seeing what players OU may want to try to cherry pick once Meyer is either canned or has a mental breakdown or both. Like Clob mentioned having Meyers wife involved may be the nail in the coffin in the end

32. The Awakening

The Awakening Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

She made these texts during the 2015 year. Herman was at Houston at the time. Now I’m sure Herman knew of the WR’s coach’s history during his time there. However...he also didn’t take the guy with him to Houston..which says a lot...prob didn’t want any part of that animal. Now Beck on the other hand....might have known more of what happened in 2015...maybe not...but all this falls on Meyer bc he’s the man in charge...Tim sure got out of that mess quick when Tom came calling...seems to me like both of our coaches hands are clean on this one and got the heck out of there when the opportunity presented it them...

33. The Awakening

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

You have to believe Herman picked up on the kind of guys Meyer and Smith were and got the heck out of there as soon as he could...hence taking UH job....

Metcalf #2 likes this.
  34. The Awakening

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Doubtful with Tom...don’t know with Tim....though he left there rather quickly to join Hermans staff....that says a lot.

35. speedstrength

speedstrength Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Not title IX. The coaches wife wasn't involved with the university. There could be issues with the nurses license. Aren't medical professional's supposed to do stuff like that. I also think Shelley Meyer has some unofficial/official unpaid role with the football admin. The fact that there were text messages between the two women could be problematic. If they find evidence of contact with other coaches that could be problematic as well. However if you look at Baylor, Briles is the only one who wasn't able to get a job after the scandal so I don't think it will cost other coaches their jobs.

36. outhereincali

Expand Collapse

You know I've been thinking about this. Meyer's predecessor, Jim Tressel, had to resign because of the scandal involving Terrell Pryor. tOSU was slammed for two years. Ever since John Cooper was the coach tOSU has had an unsavory reputation. We'll see.

37. mm42

mm42 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

My hand may be raising slowly, but he isn't gone yet by a long shot.

If he does get fired, I'll look back in 20 years and think I guess I got old officially Aug 1st 2018. That would be the day that winning and money stopped being number 1 in College football. OMG, just typing that makes me think this can not be the case.
    I am puting my hand back down for now. Not willing to admit the world has changed, and I no longer get what drives big money decisions. I bet he hangs on to his job.

BringBackRoyal likes this.
  38. outhereincali

Expand Collapse

Siap.

But i just heard on the radio that Urban Meyer has been put on administrative leave probably paid al. You guys know what this means right? Almost every time a coach gets put on pal he's about to get fired. This is getting bad for Urban Meyer and is about to get worse, a lot worse. Once again siap

39. clob94

clob94 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Hoss-- Shelley Meyer is a full time employee and director at Ohio state's nursing school. She is bound by title 9.

40. clob94

clob94 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Name one coach that was ever put on administrative leave and came back from it......

I will anxiously wait.