ADVERTISEMENT

On the bright side: Mens Baseball...

Ya I found it. We are looking good so far. Need to cut down on the base runners.

Aaaaaaaaaaand as soon as I say that..... we give up the lead.

Okie lite looks rested and our guys look worn out. Good run though.

I'm hearing that Texas may end up in either the Arkansas or LSU regional. While either tournament would be very tough to win, I guarantee you that Texas will have the attention of whoever is the host team. Not many teams want to play Texas right now. I like Pierce and what he has shown.

Reactions: Oldmanastro
And we outhit them but leave so many on base and it finally came back to get us. Hopefully they learn from this.

In general, I think that "left on base" is a pretty poor stat. In a way, it penalizes you for putting a lot of men on base in the first place.

I think a more valuable stat would measure how many men were in a position to be relatively easily scored but were not. For example, a lead off double should lead to a run - heck, all it takes is a ground ball to move him over and a sac fly. A man on 3rd with 1 or fewer outs would also be counted. There are other situations to consider as well. As a counter example, a 2 out single that doesn't score shouldn't count against you. Yet, the traditional "left on base" stat dings you for this.

I do agree, the Horns leave too many on base that they should score. More so making a point about a crummy "traditional" stat. As an aside, I also find that "points off of turnovers" in football is a crummy stat.

Reactions: diadevic and westx
In general, I think that "left on base" is a pretty poor stat. In a way, it penalizes you for putting a lot of men on base in the first place.

I think a more valuable stat would measure how many men were in a position to be relatively easily scored but were not. For example, a lead off double should lead to a run - heck, all it takes is a ground ball to move him over and a sac fly. A man on 3rd with 1 or fewer outs would also be counted. There are other situations to consider as well. As a counter example, a 2 out single that doesn't score shouldn't count against you. Yet, the traditional "left on base" stat dings you for this.

I do agree, the Horns leave too many on base that they should score. More so making a point about a crummy "traditional" stat. As an aside, I also find that "points off of turnovers" in football is a crummy stat.

How about a new stat, "Runners in Scoring Position Wasted". Any baserunner to reach 3rd with 1 out or 2nd/3rd with no outs is counted. Based on years of MLB data, these are the only situations where scoring a run is more than 50% likely. This stat would better reflect teams that are failing to cash in on runners in good scoring situations. While a stat like Batting Avg with RISP would be a better reflection of teams that keep rallies going with the bat.

Using this new stat, Texas wasted only one opportunity in the 5th when Kacy Clemens was doubled off at third on a 1 out line drive. Ironically, this wouldn't count as a LOB. Texas had 14 LOB in the game, 6 of those runners reached base after there were 2 outs.

https://gregstoll.dyndns.org/~gregstoll/baseball/runsperinning.html

So the bases loaded with 1 out doesn't have any relevance I guess? There has been many times when we have left the bases juiced with no outs and can't get anything across.

How about a new stat, "Runners in Scoring Position Wasted". Any baserunner to reach 3rd with 1 out or 2nd/3rd with no outs is counted. Based on years of MLB data, these are the only situations where scoring a run is more than 50% likely. This stat would better reflect teams that are failing to cash in on runners in good scoring situations. While a stat like Batting Avg with RISP would be a better reflection of teams that keep rallies going with the bat.

Using this new stat, Texas wasted only one opportunity in the 5th when Kacy Clemens was doubled off at third on a 1 out line drive. Ironically, this wouldn't count as a LOB. Texas had 14 LOB in the game, 6 of those runners reached base after there were 2 outs.

https://gregstoll.dyndns.org/~gregstoll/baseball/runsperinning.html
We just don't have enough good top to bottom bats on our team. Gurwitz is one of our better hitters and unfortunately, he didn't play.

So the bases loaded with 1 out doesn't have any relevance I guess? There has been many times when we have left the bases juiced with no outs and can't get anything across.

That was in the 5th inning when Kacy got doubled off.

As an aside, I also find that "points off of turnovers" in football is a crummy stat.
100% agree. Even worse - points off turnovers in basketball! Its one thing to get your pocket picked in the backcourt leading to a layup. Its another thing entirely to turn it over in the paint.

Reactions: Bwilk55
McCann didn't play either but Cantu played well. I see your point bwilk but there are also times we have got walked and loaded up the bases and still couldn't get those free runners on base in

We are heading to California. First game will be against UCLA and hosting is Long Beach State they will face San Diego State. The other regional we are grouped up with is the Stanford regional. So we should have great baseball weather during our trip.

Hook 'Em

Last edited:
Reactions: Bwilk55
McCann didn't play either but Cantu played well. I see your point bwilk but there are also times we have got walked and loaded up the bases and still couldn't get those free runners on base in
I definitely agree that Texas has to do a better job of hitting with runners in scoring position. I just think LOB is a silly stat. I mean, if you have 30 hits a game, you will probably leave 10+ on base. You will win that game so no one will care of course.

100% agree. Even worse - points off turnovers in basketball! Its one thing to get your pocket picked in the backcourt leading to a layup. Its another thing entirely to turn it over in the paint.

My answer to points off of turnovers in football would be to redefine the way it is measured. Currently, any points scored on the possession following a TO is counted as a "point off of a turnover". It doesn't matter if it was a pick six or if it was a fumble at the 1 yard line followed by a 99 yard TD drive.

I propose that the points off of turnover is determined by the location of the turnover. If it's a pick 6 or scoop and score, it should count as 7 points off the turnover (all 7, not just 6). If the TO leads to a possession starting within the 10 yard line, then it should count as 7 points off turnover for a subsequent TD or 3 if it leads to a FG. If the TO occurs between the 10-40 yard line the points off of turnover should be 3 at a maximum, FG or TD. If the TO is beyond the 40, then no points off of turnover are counted. The yardage limits could be adjusted of course as needed.

Points against the defense would equal total points scored - points off of turnover. This would provide a better measure of how many of the points can be attributed to the defense.

Today is draft day and I don't know if you guys have paid any attention to our recruits coming in next year for our 2017 baseball class. You can see the difference in recruiting between Augie and Pierce and Pierce is a more raw projects type of guy when Augie was a high profile caliber type player which shows 3 players that never made it to the 40 last year, because of being high draft picks out of high school which would of gave us a top class. Our class isn't highly ranked this year and we have 7 incoming freshman with 3 Juco players. One guy we need to keep a close eye on for the draft tonight is Tristen Lutz if he doesn't go first round or selected by the Rangers we will see him in Burnt Orange next year and you can say he will be an immediate star but a longhorn version of Luken Baker. This recruiting class is already interesting and looking foward to what they bring to the table next spring.

Hook 'Em

Reactions: westx
Today is draft day and I don't know if you guys have paid any attention to our recruits coming in next year for our 2017 baseball class. You can see the difference in recruiting between Augie and Pierce and Pierce is a more raw projects type of guy when Augie was a high profile caliber type player which shows 3 players that never made it to the 40 last year, because of being high draft picks out of high school which would of gave us a top class. Our class isn't highly ranked this year and we have 7 incoming freshman with 3 Juco players. One guy we need to keep a close eye on for the draft tonight is Tristen Lutz if he doesn't go first round or selected by the Rangers we will see him in Burnt Orange next year and you can say he will be an immediate star but a longhorn version of Luken Baker. This recruiting class is already interesting and looking foward to what they bring to the table next spring.

Hook 'Em

This was a big reason why Augie needed to go was his recruiting style. It does no good to recruit kids who aren't going to end up enrolling at Texas. Pierce needs to sign the type of kids as you describe. It is refreshing to see this is what he is doing.

We also lost Landon Leach to the draft to the twins on the 37th pick and Pierce group had high hopes on him coming in. He was from Canada and the number 1 prospect out of Canada.

Dang we lost soph Nick Kennedy he was drafted in the 5th round by the Rockies. Kyle Johnston is gone as well he is just a flame thrower and scouts liked that. We have had 5 guys drafted only two schools with more lsu and Kentucky.

Hook 'Em

Dang we lost soph Nick Kennedy he was drafted in the 5th round by the Rockies. Kyle Johnston is gone as well he is just a flame thrower and scouts liked that. We have had 5 guys drafted only two schools with more lsu and Kentucky.

Hook 'Em
Thanks for the update Robo, even if it is bad news

Reactions: RoboCocks21
Just because they were drafted doesn't mean they are gone. I'd say anyone drafted from 5th round on would/should consider coming back and improve their draft spot for next year.

ADVERTISEMENT