ADVERTISEMENT

OT: World Cup

Something about the soccer + the USA makes watching the US men's national team pretty fun. I pretty much lose it when we score a goal and shit.

Last edited:
I mean it's like some weird combination of patriotism + sports that makes watching the US team so fun. And also I meant that I get pretty excited when we score a goal. :)

Plus the world cup is kind of cool too. It's like the NCAA bball tournament, but with the whole planet involved.

Last edited:
Reactions: westx
I mean it's like some weird combination of patriotism + sports that makes watching the US team so fun. And also I meant that I get pretty excited when we score a goal. :)

Plus the world cup is kind of cool too. It's like the NCAA bball tournament, but the whole planet involved.

I agree and it's sucks that the USA didn't make it. Now I have to cheer on Mexico! It's not the same but it will do for now.

Reactions: Crimson_Warrior
But we suck so badly...... and btw, there's no end in sight any time soon. US soccer did a presser the other day where they pound the desk and say "dang it! We are getting serious about soccer now!".
It was all for show. They know the only was they'll ever be any good at soccer is if you find a way to keep the young Deon Sanders, Terrel owens, Randy Moss, of the world out of football at a young age. If only there was some sort of situation they could use to scare parents from letting their kids play football....... hmmmmm..... then, they could mass media the crap out of this problem, and then shame the people that make the rules for football to take violence out of the game so this issue could be curtailed and in the process, run off viewers that think the game has gone "soft"............

Plus the world cup is kind of cool too. It's like the NCAA bball tournament, but the whole planet involved.

Reactions: andrew86e
But we suck so badly...... and btw, there's no end in sight any time soon. US soccer did a presser the other day where they pound the desk and say "dang it! We are getting serious about soccer now!".
It was all for show. They know the only was they'll ever be any good at soccer is if you find a way to keep the young Deon Sanders, Terrel owens, Randy Moss, of the world out of football at a young age. If only there was some sort of situation they could use to scare parents from letting their kids play football....... hmmmmm..... then, they could mass media the crap out of this problem, and then shame the people that make the rules for football to take violence out of the game so this issue could be curtailed and in the process, run off viewers that think the game has gone "soft"............

We're so far behind the rest of the world in soccer (futbol/football).

We're so far behind the rest of the world in soccer (futbol/football).

As fans of the game we are waaayyy behind! Many of the Mexican/Americans, not so much. We are starting to develop some decent talent and our pro league is no longer a complete laughing stock.... it's getting better, slowly.

As fans of the game we are waaayyy behind! Many of the Mexican/Americans, not so much. We are starting to develop some decent talent and our pro league is no longer a complete laughing stock.... it's getting better, slowly.
We will not win a world cup in our lifetimes. If I could collect on that bet with you, I'd like to try.

We will not win a world cup in our lifetimes. If I could collect on that bet with you, I'd like to try.

Whoa, never said we would win a WC any time soon. I only said our level of play is slowly getting better. We actually have scouts from foreign clubs over here (German) looking for players. Never had that before.

Whoa, never said we would win a WC any time soon. I only said our level of play is slowly getting better. We actually have scouts from foreign clubs over here (German) looking for players. Never had that before.
Well ya..... we've got a huge manchester city presence here as well. In point of fact, one of my former teammates who lives in austin has a son that is on a select squad here, and they've yet to lose a game in over two years. They played in the junior nationals this past year and won by 4 goals. They played in a tourney in SA a few weeks ago and I had an hour long chat with a manchester city scout who said they've built some massive training campus for their farm system and recruits. I asked him why they were focusing on American recruits and his response was "there are 360 million people in America and if we can find the next Beckham, it's worth every nickel."......

I just checked the crime rates in Iceland......... I may be moving to iceland soon.

Sigh, yes crime is rampant in the USA. It's especially bad in the cities..... There is a high risk of having a nice vehicle broken into or outright stolen when parked in any city in the USA.... so I drive a paid for piece of junk on purpose. I could drive a really nice vehicle (for which I could pay cash) but I chose not to because of the crime. Sad really.... I put the cash into my homestead and make it a fortress. Dogs, weapons..... defense stuff.

Games typically over in 2 hours or less and commercials only during halftime. Yawn?
Volkswagen completely fvcked up these commercials. They've got Brazil, iceland, belgium, Germany etc asking us to cheer for them but they left the biggest stars out of these commercials...... the swedes!

Load the Swedish bikini team up into a Volkswagen and I'm an insta-swede fan.

https://www.uspsa2.org/sbt.htm

El Tri won again. Legitimate threat. Defending champions Germany must win against the Swedish ladies in the Volkswagen or go home.

El Tri won again. Legitimate threat. Defending champions Germany must win against the Swedish ladies in the Volkswagen or go home.
Yo hablo espaÑol muy bien pendejo, pero, como se dice "El tri" en engles?

Sorry MM, that was an exciting ending to the Germany/Sweden game.
Down 1-0, and come back to score in last 30 seconds for win. Good stuff.

Reactions: diadevic
Sorry MM, that was an exciting ending to the Germany/Sweden game.
Down 1-0, and come back to score in last 30 seconds for win. Good stuff.

I missed that. Was sitting in the junkyard watching that bumper rust. That was entertaining. =)roll

Kickball is a big yawn. BORING. Watching a bumper rust in a junkyard is more entertaining than a kickball game.

Except it's not kickball. Kickball is baseball but with your feet. So your analogy is completely wrong. Soccer is more like hockey or basketball on grass.

Fail grandpa.

ADVERTISEMENT