ADVERTISEMENT

Pre season camp

I expect the team sack numbers to go up this year. Our QB pressure numbers last year were through the roof. We were getting pressure but just not getting home. I think with a more experienced secondary this year that we should be able to make QBs hold onto the ball a 1/2 second more and that should lead to more sacks.

I really like Murphy and Sweat on the interior and think they are both better than Moro and Coburn were. Behind those 2 is where the question lies. It's put up or shut up time for Collins and Broughton. Those 2 guys need to step up. Collins has early round NFL draft talent but it's just a matter of a light switch going on for him. I'm not that optimistic about it though. I hope i'm wrong.

I expect Sorrell to finish with 6-8 sacks this year. Outside of that it's a big unknown. There's some great upside in guys like Vasek, Tapp, and Burke but those guys are still a year or 2 away IMO.

I think overall the defense is going to be really good this year. Our secondary is loaded I believe. I think Catalon, Brooks, Watts, and Barron are all guys that could be NFL draft picks next year or the year after.

I expect the team sack numbers to go up this year. Our QB pressure numbers last year were through the roof. We were getting pressure but just not getting home. I think with a more experienced secondary this year that we should be able to make QBs hold onto the ball a 1/2 second more and that should lead to more sacks.

I really like Murphy and Sweat on the interior and think they are both better than Moro and Coburn were. Behind those 2 is where the question lies. It's put up or shut up time for Collins and Broughton. Those 2 guys need to step up. Collins has early round NFL draft talent but it's just a matter of a light switch going on for him. I'm not that optimistic about it though. I hope i'm wrong.

I expect Sorrell to finish with 6-8 sacks this year. Outside of that it's a big unknown. There's some great upside in guys like Vasek, Tapp, and Burke but those guys are still a year or 2 away IMO.

I think overall the defense is going to be really good this year. Our secondary is loaded I believe. I think Catalon, Brooks, Watts, and Barron are all guys that could be NFL draft picks next year or the year after.
Sorrel or Burke 8 sacks

Love your enthusiasm, but I don't think we've had a guy have more than 6 in like a decade. I could be wrong.
Omenihu had 9.5 in 2018 but before that I believe Orakpo in 2008 had 11.5. That's it. Even as good as Ossai was his highest was 5.5. I don't even see him getting to 5.

Reactions: weevilcatch
Sorrel or Burke 8 sacks
Now I could maybe buy Sorrell getting to 8. But no way Burke gets to 8 in his first full season. He needs another offseason or 2 of shaping his body and working on his pass rush moves before he's truly ready to even think about 8 sacks.

rumor is collins looking like one of our best d lineman. hes really stepped up supposedly

His ceiling as a player is a first round pick. He's got the size and length that NFL scouts love. It's just a matter of the light switch coming on for him. I really hope this is the year.
Do you know if the “light switch” in this case is code for effort? Not necessarily lazy, but where every down there is not the same high level of effort. Also, anybody know if it is a practice thing, game thing or both?

Do you know if the “light switch” in this case is code for effort? Not necessarily lazy, but where every down there is not the same high level of effort. Also, anybody know if it is a practice thing, game thing or both?
I bet it is a sense of urgency. He is getting into draft eligibility and probably realizes that he needs to either sh!t or get off the pot.

Rumor Worthy is a little banged up and was held out of practice. I swear to God if we have the same injury luck this year as last I'm going to be sick.

Not how I interpreted that. I took it to mean "figures it out" or "gets enough reps to put the pieces of the puzzle together". Don't want to put a reputation of lacking effort on a guy if it's undeserved.

It seems to me that every now and again we have a DL who has great size and length(i.e. large human) and was highly rated coming in, but never seemed to live up to all that promise. Then the last year they seemed to realize that if they are to get drafted they have to perform.....some play well that last year. Colburn is an example. I hope Collins is the same way.....and Sweat as well...

It seems to me that every now and again we have a DL who has great size and length(i.e. large human) and was highly rated coming in, but never seemed to live up to all that promise. Then the last year they seemed to realize that if they are to get drafted they have to perform.....some play well that last year. Colburn is an example. I hope Collins is the same way.....and Sweat as well...
It also seems like they get better when the talent behind them gets better. Some people need to have that threat looking over their shoulder to flip the switch.

From all the reports from camp this year it doesn't seem to be an effort thing at all. It's just sometimes that those elite level guys don't pan out to what they were supposed to be and it could be the case with him. It does sound like he has had a good fall camp so far this year so there is some hope. I just remember him in that Colorado bowl game and thinking that he was going to break out the next year and just never did.

Reactions: 2300 Nueces
From all the reports from camp this year it doesn't seem to be an effort thing at all. It's just sometimes that those elite level guys don't pan out to what they were supposed to be and it could be the case with him. It does sound like he has had a good fall camp so far this year so there is some hope. I just remember him in that Colorado bowl game and thinking that he was going to break out the next year and just never did.
He thinks too much. He is indecisive.

Scrimmage /practice notes:

* 1st Team OL: Kelvin Banks-Hayden Conner-Jake Majors-DJ Campbell-Christian Jones

* Lots of mixing after. Conner played LG and C, Hutson RG/LG/C with 1 and 2s, Neto at LG/RG.

* 2023 OL class was primarily 3rd string. Cojoe and Goosby at LT, Stroh at LG, PK at RG, Robertson at C, and Chatman at RT.

* Basic offensive plays early, mostly swing passes or over the middle. Not much vertical or chunk plays.

* Brooks looks fantastic. Baxter had a 30+ yarder and scored on a goal line play. Keilan had a 50 yarder on a 4th and 1.

* AD and Neyor had good days despite QBs being under constant pressure. Cook had a TD from Ewers.

* Ewers hit AD with a TD in the back corner as a second read. He was sharp early but got picked by Jerrin Thompson late. Gunnar Helm got a nice 20 yarder. Ewers also scored on a keep.

* Arch ran with the 3s early but then got some time with the 2s and looked great. Had a 50 yard TD run and had strong completions to Cook and Cain.

* Murphy had a rough practice, and looked flustered. Got pick 6ed by Malik Muhammad.

* There’s a stomach bug going around the team which kept Worthy out.

*Whittington went out with what's being called a "minor" shoulder/arm injury

* Best defender on the day was Alfred Collins.

*DL was Sorrel, Collins, Murphy, Burke.

* When Burke is out then Sweat comes in, and Collins slides DE.

* Lefau hit JT Sanders hard in the middle and forced a TO. 2nd team was playing really well and were disruptive.

* Sorrell got a sack.

* Billy Walton didn’t look like a freshman. He had a sack and a number of hurries.

* Defense got more pressure on the QB than they expected.

*Ant Hill had a sack and a good day

Last edited:
Burke ganna be the next Brian Robinson
You give him and Vasek another offseason in the weight room and filling out those guys are going to be some very good edge players in 2024. I watched those 2 guys against Southlake Carroll in the state championship game when Quinn was a junior and they were all over the damn place.

Reactions: hookem777

excited the waterboy GIF

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT