ADVERTISEMENT

Pre season camp

I thought alumnus players always had an open door? Or is that only for the VYs of the world?
There's a lot of former players. And there's only a certain number of days I can go because of other obligations I have.

Reactions: WRLHookem
I think Sark is tighter on practices and who attends more than any other coach before him at Texas..

Agreed. If he can’t get it done with this group and the schedule they have then he isn’t the guy and it will be time to move on
The issue with that is, If you fire Sark, you probably lose Manning to the portal. Sark has at least 1 guaranteed season in the SEC. Unless we go like 6-6 or worse and dont make a bowl.

Last edited:
Reactions: Metcalf #2
First day or two is always similar.
Here's where you stretch, freshman.
Here's how we warm up, freshman.
Here's how we run drills, freshman.

Vets- let's see those muscles you put on over the summer.
Boy, it's hot out here.
Remember, stay hydrated.
Let's break up into positions.
Let's run some drills.
Nobody falls down today.
Let's get your necks used to the helmets.
Everybody get ready for conditioning.
Toe on the line for wind sprints.
Hydrate.
We are gonna put the pads on In a few days, be ready.
If you've got any dings or aches and pains, get in the training room ASAP.

The fun starts the first full day in pads.

The REAL fun starts with the first 1 v 1 and 2 v 2 scrimmage.

First day or two is always similar.
Here's where you stretch, freshman.
Here's how we warm up, freshman.
Here's how we run drills, freshman.

Vets- let's see those muscles you put on over the summer.
Boy, it's hot out here.
Remember, stay hydrated.
Let's break up into positions.
Let's run some drills.
Nobody falls down today.
Let's get your necks used to the helmets.
Everybody get ready for conditioning.
Toe on the line for wind sprints.
Hydrate.
We are gonna put the pads on In a few days, be ready.
If you've got any dings or aches and pains, get in the training room ASAP.

The fun starts the first full day in pads.

The REAL fun starts with the first 1 v 1 and 2 v 2 scrimmage.
do we know when full pads start? next Monday i imagine?

i'm enjoying the possibility of the "embrace the hate" mentality that sark says the team has adopted. if that's true, i think we can all say... FINALLLLLYYYYY

do we know when full pads start? next Monday i imagine?
It's usually a couple days with helmets, then you go helmet and shoulder pads. Then you lace'em up.
Earliest would be saturday- Monday the latest-- I would wager.

kool aid 80s GIF

Wait for the results. Don't do it.

im trying brother belive me lol..i havent felt THIS good about our team since 08 really. Maybe 2019 when we played LSU...Hopefully its more like 08 than 2019
The best part of that video is the part about the O line. We haven’t had a bunch of mean ass pricks on O line in years. An O line with a bad attitude is worth an extra 3 wins last year.

The best part of that video is the part about the O line. We haven’t had a bunch of mean ass pricks on O line in years. An O line with a bad attitude is worth an extra 3 wins last year.
couldnt agree more. Excited about our WR's, our Dbs, our young freshman...BUT GOD I LOVE HEARING WE HAVE SOME BIG NASTY MEAN MF'ERS up front!! YEAH!

Yes and no i think. Still do "2adays" but nowhere near as long outside and not as hard as it used to be.
no 2 a days. there's a regular full-scale practice every day, but the "second practice" that you can have every other day is not a full practice. if you even have that second one, it's a modified workout--we lift and walk-through. never goes over an hour total. i don't even know the actual rule because every school i know either does it the way we do it, or forego the 2nd "practice" altogether. i can tell you actual 2 a days, as they were until 2010ish, absolutely sucked

no 2 a days. there's a regular full-scale practice every day, but the "second practice" that you can have every other day is not a full practice. if you even have that second one, it's a modified workout--we lift and walk-through. never goes over an hour total. i don't even know the actual rule because every school i know either does it the way we do it, or forego the 2nd "practice" altogether. i can tell you actual 2 a days, as they were until 2010ish, absolutely sucked
even when i played, my senior year in 07 our "2adays" where outside in the morning and weight room in the early evening.

even when i played, my senior year in 07 our "2adays" where outside in the morning and weight room in the early evening.
Dear God. How'd you survive............................

In all seriousness- they just aren't as hard on the kids as they used to be. Kids will quit. I know that may sound like I'm an old man feeling nostalgic about the "good ol' days"-- but that simply isn't the case. The fear coaching staffs and universities have about a kid stroking out due to heat and the school getting the sh!t sued out of them is real.

Back in the day if you passed out during 2 a days, the community saw you as soft, or weak. We were all going through the same thing-- being forged by this fire. If you couldn't hack it, you didn't turn around and sue the school.
Fvck ya there were days that you went back for midday break after morning practice and you were sunburnt from where the tape on your wrist ended to your elbow sleeve. And that was the MORNING practice. About the 3rd day, the back of your neck is so red that the trainers are rubbing aloe on you because you yelp every time you hit someone and your helmet pushes back against your neck.
You just have to stay hydrated.
As bad as morning practices sucked - it was early, you were stiff from the day before- sore as hell-- they weren't difficult compared to that 330pm practice.
Those were fun........

In all seriousness- they just aren't as hard on the kids as they used to be. Kids will quit. I know that may sound like I'm an old man feeling nostalgic about the "good ol' days"-- but that simply isn't the case. The fear coaching staffs and universities have about a kid stroking out due to heat and the school getting the sh!t sued out of them is real.

Back in the day if you passed out during 2 a days, the community saw you as soft, or weak. We were all going through the same thing-- being forged by this fire. If you couldn't hack it, you didn't turn around and sue the school.
Fvck ya there were days that you went back for midday break after morning practice and you were sunburnt from where the tape on your wrist ended to your elbow sleeve. And that was the MORNING practice. About the 3rd day, the back of your neck is so red that the trainers are rubbing aloe on you because you yelp every time you hit someone and your helmet pushes back against your neck.
As bad as morning practices sucked - it was early, you were stiff from the day before- sore as hell-- they weren't difficult compared to that 330pm practice.
Those were fun........
not saying we didnt need more practice but our coaches were told not to have us out that long. At least until school started and that was 5a football

Last edited:
One hose off to the side of the non watered practice field which was dormant coastal because no rain. Long rubber hose.... water came out hot and never got cold. We were given seconds to drink. I'm assuming my coach thought we were in basic training. 2 2 hour practices everyday for 2-3 weeks. That was Aledo back in the 80's. 772, before you say we sucked, we played in the state championship in 2A in 82.

Those were fun........
Preach

Reactions: freeper
I’m glad Sark is making them practice in the heat of the day. Our first game is at 2 against Rice so they need to get used to it.

I can remember having 2 a days where our first practice was from 11-1 then we’d go back out from 3-5. It was brutal. And they also limited our water breaks.

Reactions: westx
when Jimmy Johnson took over the Cowboys, the first thing he did was move fall camp from California where it was cool to Austin where it was hot as hell. I doubt he gave a shit if half the team dropped dead from heat exhaustion.....He gave em strength....

Reactions: Metcalf #2
I’m glad Sark is making them practice in the heat of the day. Our first game is at 2 against Rice so they need to get used to it.

I can remember having 2 a days where our first practice was from 11-1 then we’d go back out from 3-5. It was brutal. And they also limited our water breaks.

If you get proper meals, hydration and sleep you’ll be fine.

However, you better sunscreen up. I’ve seen far too many coaches that “didn’t need that shit” have to deal with skin cancer later on.

Wear long sleeves, pants and a giant ass sombrero.

side note, theoretically you get more work by having coach-monitored workouts throughout the summer, which used to be illegal. theoretically. and those workouts can't be mandatory. so those that do them, get better. but there are some that don't.

From Monday's practice:

- Jonathon Brooks was out with illness over the weekend but was back today.

- DJ Campbell is the starting RG now. Hutson working with the twos.

- Neyor running some with the ones.

- J'Mond Tapp looks like he will be the second team Buck behind Ethan Burke.

- LBs are being use more for pass rush and stunts than they have in the past.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT