ADVERTISEMENT

Pre season camp

no 2 a days. there's a regular full-scale practice every day, but the "second practice" that you can have every other day is not a full practice. if you even have that second one, it's a modified workout--we lift and walk-through. never goes over an hour total. i don't even know the actual rule because every school i know either does it the way we do it, or forego the 2nd "practice" altogether. i can tell you actual 2 a days, as they were until 2010ish, absolutely sucked
even when i played, my senior year in 07 our "2adays" where outside in the morning and weight room in the early evening.

even when i played, my senior year in 07 our "2adays" where outside in the morning and weight room in the early evening.
Dear God. How'd you survive............................

In all seriousness- they just aren't as hard on the kids as they used to be. Kids will quit. I know that may sound like I'm an old man feeling nostalgic about the "good ol' days"-- but that simply isn't the case. The fear coaching staffs and universities have about a kid stroking out due to heat and the school getting the sh!t sued out of them is real.

Back in the day if you passed out during 2 a days, the community saw you as soft, or weak. We were all going through the same thing-- being forged by this fire. If you couldn't hack it, you didn't turn around and sue the school.
Fvck ya there were days that you went back for midday break after morning practice and you were sunburnt from where the tape on your wrist ended to your elbow sleeve. And that was the MORNING practice. About the 3rd day, the back of your neck is so red that the trainers are rubbing aloe on you because you yelp every time you hit someone and your helmet pushes back against your neck.
You just have to stay hydrated.
As bad as morning practices sucked - it was early, you were stiff from the day before- sore as hell-- they weren't difficult compared to that 330pm practice.
Those were fun........

In all seriousness- they just aren't as hard on the kids as they used to be. Kids will quit. I know that may sound like I'm an old man feeling nostalgic about the "good ol' days"-- but that simply isn't the case. The fear coaching staffs and universities have about a kid stroking out due to heat and the school getting the sh!t sued out of them is real.

Back in the day if you passed out during 2 a days, the community saw you as soft, or weak. We were all going through the same thing-- being forged by this fire. If you couldn't hack it, you didn't turn around and sue the school.
Fvck ya there were days that you went back for midday break after morning practice and you were sunburnt from where the tape on your wrist ended to your elbow sleeve. And that was the MORNING practice. About the 3rd day, the back of your neck is so red that the trainers are rubbing aloe on you because you yelp every time you hit someone and your helmet pushes back against your neck.
As bad as morning practices sucked - it was early, you were stiff from the day before- sore as hell-- they weren't difficult compared to that 330pm practice.
Those were fun........
not saying we didnt need more practice but our coaches were told not to have us out that long. At least until school started and that was 5a football

Last edited:
One hose off to the side of the non watered practice field which was dormant coastal because no rain. Long rubber hose.... water came out hot and never got cold. We were given seconds to drink. I'm assuming my coach thought we were in basic training. 2 2 hour practices everyday for 2-3 weeks. That was Aledo back in the 80's. 772, before you say we sucked, we played in the state championship in 2A in 82.

Those were fun........
Preach

Reactions: freeper
I’m glad Sark is making them practice in the heat of the day. Our first game is at 2 against Rice so they need to get used to it.

I can remember having 2 a days where our first practice was from 11-1 then we’d go back out from 3-5. It was brutal. And they also limited our water breaks.

Reactions: westx
when Jimmy Johnson took over the Cowboys, the first thing he did was move fall camp from California where it was cool to Austin where it was hot as hell. I doubt he gave a shit if half the team dropped dead from heat exhaustion.....He gave em strength....

Reactions: Metcalf #2
I’m glad Sark is making them practice in the heat of the day. Our first game is at 2 against Rice so they need to get used to it.

I can remember having 2 a days where our first practice was from 11-1 then we’d go back out from 3-5. It was brutal. And they also limited our water breaks.

If you get proper meals, hydration and sleep you’ll be fine.

However, you better sunscreen up. I’ve seen far too many coaches that “didn’t need that shit” have to deal with skin cancer later on.

Wear long sleeves, pants and a giant ass sombrero.

side note, theoretically you get more work by having coach-monitored workouts throughout the summer, which used to be illegal. theoretically. and those workouts can't be mandatory. so those that do them, get better. but there are some that don't.

From Monday's practice:

- Jonathon Brooks was out with illness over the weekend but was back today.

- DJ Campbell is the starting RG now. Hutson working with the twos.

- Neyor running some with the ones.

- J'Mond Tapp looks like he will be the second team Buck behind Ethan Burke.

- LBs are being use more for pass rush and stunts than they have in the past.

FWIW - drove by Mildred High School outside of Corsicana on Saturday, around 11:30 am. Football team was on the practice field. It kind of surprised me at the time of day. And it was boiling hot out there!

From Monday's practice:

- Jonathon Brooks was out with illness over the weekend but was back today.

- DJ Campbell is the starting RG now. Hutson working with the twos.

- Neyor running some with the ones.

- J'Mond Tapp looks like he will be the second team Buck behind Ethan Burke.

- LBs are being use more for pass rush and stunts than they have in the past.
2nd hand-
Either the Oline has improved or the Dline is suspect.
Pass rush drill report was that nobody in the rotation got to the QB during 1 on 1 drills.

2nd hand-
Pass rush drill report was that nobody in the rotation got to the QB during 1 on 1 drills.
I think a little of both. We're blitzing more backers because our dline isn't getting pass rush. But also our Oline this year will be nasty. The run game just got improved with Campbell starting. Dude is meaaaan and has that dog in him.

Last year we were like 1st or something in pass rushing as far as getting pressure on the QB. But we just couldn't get the sacks.

2nd hand-
Sounds like we have no pass rush.

Sounds like we have no pass rush.
I'm leaning that way. Especially if we are blitzing backers.
Kstate and the purple Gandolf used to be masterful at dialing up a blitz at the perfect time back in the day. It's a lost art.

But yes, blitzing the LBs is a sign of a weak line.

Reactions: DHHorn
I'm leaning that way. Especially if we are blitzing backers.
Kstate and the purple Gandolf used to be masterful at dialing up a blitz at the perfect time back in the day. It's a lost art.

But yes, blitzing the LBs is a sign of a weak line.
Yes, we lost Ojomo and Coburn last year. We are weak on the pass rush. Dudes like Broughton and Collins need to step it up. They have sucked so far at Texas. It's time.

We haven't had a dominant edge since...... Jeffcoat?

Yes, we lost Ojomo and Coburn last year. We are weak on the pass rush. Dudes like Broughton and Collins need to step it up. They have sucked so far at Texas. It's time.

We haven't had a dominant edge since...... Jeffcoat?
Joseph Ossai. Before him I’d go back to Orakpo/Kindle. Sorry, I just don’t think Jeffcoat ever even came close to living up to his hype.

Our OL was pretty good in PassPro by the end of the season last year and they return everyone and have a legitimate 2 deep. Plus they are some big MFers.

That said, we don't return very many sacks from a defense that didn't sack the QB very much. I believe Overshown was #2 in sacks last year and he is gone. Sorrell led the team with 6 sacks I think and he should have at least a similar season. Other than Sorrell I don't think we have another DL/Edge returning that had more than 1. Ford had a couple, but he is a LB obviously.

What is needed is for the likes Fink, Tapp, Burke, Vasek, Ross, etc. to take the next step and learn how to get leverage and turn it into significant pressure off the edge.

And as stated above, it is time for Broughton, Collins, Sweat, Bledsoe, Murphy to take next step and get push up the middle and control the pocket integrity. Trill Carter is a nice addition and hopefully he can provide some reps and experience.

We have a good, not great DL. Servicable, not elite. We need something between great and elite.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT