ADVERTISEMENT

Pre season camp

"It's not my job to stop my team from scoring. It's your job. If you don't want to be scored on, do something to stop it."……Steve Spurrier.

My kind of coach.

Bonus Spurrier quote….on 20 books being burned in a fire at the Auburn football dorm…..

“The real tragedy is, 15 of them hadn’t been colored yet.” 🤣
I have put this out there before, but it is worth repeating....

in 1969(second year of the wishbone) DKR had a habit of letting the starters score 4 times and then put in the second string offense ( all 11 of them) ....this was usually mid second quarter....and letting the 2nd string run it up more. In late 3rd quarter or early 4th he would run out the third team.

It was not until after the season when they were getting ready for their T man banquit that they discovered that not one starter had played enough minutes to earn a letter under the old guidelines.

This did several things, all of them good. It helped prevent injuries to starters, It gave all second and third teamers real game experience......and it was rough on the other team when DKR continued to run out fresh guys.

Goddammit I miss those days....

I have put this out there before, but it is worth repeating....

in 1969(second year of the wishbone) DKR had a habit of letting the starters score 4 times and then put in the second string offense ( all 11 of them) ....this was usually mid second quarter....and letting the 2nd string run it up more. In late 3rd quarter or early 4th he would run out the third team.

It was not until after the season when they were getting ready for their T man banquit that they discovered that not one starter had played enough minutes to earn a letter under the old guidelines.

This did several things, all of them good. It helped prevent injuries to starters, It gave all second and third teamers real game experience......and it was rough on the other team when DKR continued to run out fresh guys.

Goddammit I miss those days....
Unlimited scholarships.

We need to go Steve Spurrier / Tom Osborne on the whole freaking Big 12 this year and then get the BMDs to buy a commercial spot on every break of the Big 12 Championship and replay that BS every break.

Reactions: hookem777
Beating Bama by double digits at THEIR place is the worst thing that could happen to us.
We need to beat them with a last second field goal, touchdown or defensive stand.

Going into Tuscaloosa and winning is enough. Don't tempt the football and ego Gods with a double digit win--- they'll get you everytime.
I don't think it is far fetched to think Texas goes into Alabama and wins early in the season. I don't think Bama's options at quarterback are as good as they have been. I think Milroe sucks. I thought Tyler Buckner would start, but he may not the first couple of weeks. Everyone else is a freshman and Ty Simpson is not what they thought. They will still be figuring that out, so that COULD be something that hurts them. They lost a lot of starters, but hell they have more stars behind those guys, but they will be figuring it out early and get better later so it could be a great momentum building win and really be a recruiting bump. That is a huge game for Texas.

Reactions: hookem777
I don't think it is far fetched to think Texas goes into Alabama and wins early in the season. I don't think Bama's options at quarterback are as good as they have been. I think Milroe sucks. I thought Tyler Buckner would start, but he may not the first couple of weeks. Everyone else is a freshman and Ty Simpson is not what they thought. They will still be figuring that out, so that COULD be something that hurts them. They lost a lot of starters, but hell they have more stars behind those guys, but they will be figuring it out early and get better later so it could be a great momentum building win and really be a recruiting bump. That is a huge game for Texas.
Definitely glad we get them earlier than later

Rumors floating that Patterson wants to come back..
You may be right. Per FCB apparently there's a chance Fat Pat comes back to the staff this season. I didn't even realize that was a possibility but it sound like that's being discussed.

Damn we need this. Please Fat Pat. We I won’t even call you Fat Pat anymore if you come back.

You may be right. Per FCB apparently there's a chance Fat Pat comes back to the staff this season. I didn't even realize that was a possibility but it sound like that's being discussed.

Damn we need this. Please Fat Pat. We I won’t even call you Fat Pat anymore if you come back.
I'll take him back with open arms

Reactions: Metcalf #2

It is rumored that no other program has the superior stretchy waist technology like Texas. 😉🤘🏻

Yep. And when I think of pre season practice, I think of @clob giving us a slice of reality or a sip of Kool-Aid depending on what he sees. What say you soothsayer?

I'm going to try and get up there. You have to remember, everyone in Bellmont from my day is now gone. And getting into practice will be a hot ticket item this year. Lots of expectations going into this season. But I'll see what shakes out.

This is a make or break year for Sark I believe. There's no reason this shouldn't be a 10 win team with what they brought back from last year and what they added from the portal. I still can't believe we are exactly a month away from the opening game.

Reactions: weevilcatch
I'm going to try and get up there. You have to remember, everyone in Bellmont from my day is now gone. And getting into practice will be a hot ticket item this year. Lots of expectations going into this season. But I'll see what shakes out.
Dear Lord Baby Bevo and the rest of the Football Gods, bless thy Longorns. Bless thy knees, thy ankles, and all other soft and hard tissues.
If sacrifices need to be made, please take my tendons or that of clob - preferably clob first.
FOOOTBAWWWWHHHHHLLLL is here!!!!

Dear Lord Baby Bevo and the rest of the Football Gods, bless thy Longorns. Bless thy knees, thy ankles, and all other soft and hard tissues.
If sacrifices need to be made, please take my tendons or that of clob - preferably clob first.
FOOOTBAWWWWHHHHHLLLL is here!!!!

Let's gooooo

I thought alumnus players always had an open door? Or is that only for the VYs of the world?

This is a make or break year for Sark I believe. There's no reason this shouldn't be a 10 win team with what they brought back from last year and what they added from the portal. I still can't believe we are exactly a month away from the opening game.

Agreed. If he can’t get it done with this group and the schedule they have then he isn’t the guy and it will be time to move on

Reactions: Hoookem722
I thought alumnus players always had an open door? Or is that only for the VYs of the world?
There's a lot of former players. And there's only a certain number of days I can go because of other obligations I have.

Reactions: WRLHookem
I think Sark is tighter on practices and who attends more than any other coach before him at Texas..

Agreed. If he can’t get it done with this group and the schedule they have then he isn’t the guy and it will be time to move on
The issue with that is, If you fire Sark, you probably lose Manning to the portal. Sark has at least 1 guaranteed season in the SEC. Unless we go like 6-6 or worse and dont make a bowl.

Last edited:
Reactions: Metcalf #2
First day or two is always similar.
Here's where you stretch, freshman.
Here's how we warm up, freshman.
Here's how we run drills, freshman.

Vets- let's see those muscles you put on over the summer.
Boy, it's hot out here.
Remember, stay hydrated.
Let's break up into positions.
Let's run some drills.
Nobody falls down today.
Let's get your necks used to the helmets.
Everybody get ready for conditioning.
Toe on the line for wind sprints.
Hydrate.
We are gonna put the pads on In a few days, be ready.
If you've got any dings or aches and pains, get in the training room ASAP.

The fun starts the first full day in pads.

The REAL fun starts with the first 1 v 1 and 2 v 2 scrimmage.

First day or two is always similar.
Here's where you stretch, freshman.
Here's how we warm up, freshman.
Here's how we run drills, freshman.

Vets- let's see those muscles you put on over the summer.
Boy, it's hot out here.
Remember, stay hydrated.
Let's break up into positions.
Let's run some drills.
Nobody falls down today.
Let's get your necks used to the helmets.
Everybody get ready for conditioning.
Toe on the line for wind sprints.
Hydrate.
We are gonna put the pads on In a few days, be ready.
If you've got any dings or aches and pains, get in the training room ASAP.

The fun starts the first full day in pads.

The REAL fun starts with the first 1 v 1 and 2 v 2 scrimmage.
do we know when full pads start? next Monday i imagine?

i'm enjoying the possibility of the "embrace the hate" mentality that sark says the team has adopted. if that's true, i think we can all say... FINALLLLLYYYYY

do we know when full pads start? next Monday i imagine?
It's usually a couple days with helmets, then you go helmet and shoulder pads. Then you lace'em up.
Earliest would be saturday- Monday the latest-- I would wager.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT