ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Thread 2017

It's almost silly to try and project how a QB will do on the next level. You just never know, for every Andrew Luck I can find a Garrett Gilbert.

Erlinger might be the second coming of Drew Brees, or he might be the second coming of Shea Morenz.

I will tell you right now that kid is special. One of the best QB's I've seen in awhile. He's the size of a LB playing QB. He brings speed and power on every run, very strong arm as well. I can say This bc I've seen him up close and personal, and broke down all of his film.

His stats alone are insane. 50 TD passing 20 TD rushing, all 2ith 5 INTs. This kid should be a top 50 player in the nation.

Reactions: Dogged Horn
He'll be a very high 4 star by the end of this cycle, if not a 5 star. He just had a 100 spot jump in the rankings from the review of his junior film. After the camp circuits this summer he'll rise more and after senior year he'll rise again. Should be very highly ranked by the time next NSD rolls around.

24/7 reporting CB Kobe Boyce of Lake Dallas could receive and offer, and make a commitment, at UT's Junior Day on the 27th. Rumored to be very physical and a tall CB like Strong wants

http://247sports.com/Player/Kobe-Boyce-88362

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/5500849/kobe-boyce

Jeff Howe: Longhorns not changing recruiting strategy for 2017 cycle
The Texas Longhorns are set to host a junior day for 2017 prospects next Saturday, and for Charlie Strong and his staff it officially kicks off the start of the new recruiting cycle. It’s a cycle where Longhorns are on equal footing with every other program that recruits the state like no other time in Strong’s tenure. The current crop of rising seniors had just finished up their freshman seasons on the gridiron when Strong took over the Texas program. The Longhorns were able to extend early offers to some of the state’s top recruits like Kennedale linebacker Baron Browning, Houston Episcopal defensive tackle Marvin Wilson and La Grange running back J.K. Dobbins with the same time to evaluate the class as their rivals on the recruiting trail.

Nevertheless, the greater degree of familiarity with the class of 2017 doesn’t mean there will be a philosophical change in regards to how the staff recruits. Recruiting coordinator Brian Jean-Mary said recently Texas won’t change its approach from the way the staff has gone about things during their first two full cycles on the Forty Acres. “I’ve gotten a chance to see a lot of these kids this year the same way I was with Jeffrey McCulloch last year at this time, the same way I went to see Erick Fowler, I got a chance to go see Jean Delance and those guys,” Jean-Mary said. “So our philosophy is not going to change.”

That includes the staff’s stance on taking verbal commitments. Austin Westlake quarterback Sam Ehlinger, John Tyler wide receiver Damion Miller, Bullard tight end Major Tennison and Texarkana Liberty-Eylau defensive end Lagaryonn Carson gave their commitments to the Longhorns without being pressured by the staff to do so. It will be that way for anyone else who decides to jump in the boat, Jean-Mary said. “It’s going to be low pressure on their part,” Jean-Mary said. “If they decide they want to be Longhorns they’ll make that decision without us pressuring them.”

Jean-Mary further explained why Strong and the staff don’t like pressuring recruits to make early commitments. It’s a strategy that has everything to do with wanting commitments to be all-in as much as they can be before jumping onboard. “We don’t believe in backing them into a corner and forcing them into making a decision,” Jean-Mary said. “It’s like coach Strong says, if someone can force you to make a decision it’s very easy for another person to come out and make you change your mind about what you just did.”

Open Post - Brainiacs - 2/22

Player Note | Tristen Nickelson: The offensive line returns 3 starters from last years team, senior Kent Perkins and sophomores Connor Williams and Patrick Vahe. If Perkins plays his natural position at guard in 2016, a guy who some expect to really challenge for the starting right tackle position is junior Tristen Nickelson. Perkins missed a few games in 2015 and Nickelson started for him in most of those and did a good job. I have been told that Connor Williams has been looking really good at tackle in 1-on-1 drills, but who is really surprised to hear that? What is exciting to hear is that the second name being brought up by folks behind the scenes as an offensive lineman who has looked good this off-season is none other than Tristen Nickelson. Nickelson is also just a huge guy, last I was told he is up to 6’7 320 pounds. If that’s not an intimidater, I don’t know what is. – (Andrew)

Coach Note | Matt Mattox: I also heard that the offensive lineman really like the new OL coach Matt Mattox. I was told he is so much more relatable to his players compared to Joe Wickline. I even had one person say he was the “anti-Wickline”. The workouts for the lineman, and everyone else have been very up-tempo so I think that confirms what we all know which is the new coaches will expect the new offense to move very fast. – (Andrew)

Jeffrey Okudah: This past weekend I caught up with everyone’s top 2017 defensive back target, Jeffrey Okudah (Grand Prairie, TX). Okudah released a top 10 that did not include Texas but in talking to Okudah it’s clear that things continue to move around for him. “That recruiting class that coach Strong brought in really made me rethink things with regard to Texas…it gives you reason to believe that things are moving in the right direction”.

Okudah visited Texas once last spring and tells me that he will make a return trip to Austin this upcoming weekend for the Texas jr day. Okudah tells me he wants to play for a major football program but also said that, “academics are an emphasis for me and my family”. Many may not know this but Okudah isn’t just one of the premier football players in the country, he’s also an excellent student in the classroom. – (Super K)

– Another Visitor | Andre Johnson: Okudah isn’t the only South Grand Prairie visitor expected to make the trip to Austin this weekend. SGP running back, Andre Johnson is also expected to be in attendance for this weekend’s jr day. We will try to have more with him later this week. – (Super K)

Is Stanford a legit threat here? Seems like we can beat most every school there is, except for Stanford.
I don't know. They've offered. So has Bama. He can go anywhere he wants in the country.

Let's be honest though. If my kid were offered a free ride at Stanford, I'd have a hard time telling him to turn that down.

Agreed! Standford has so much to offer, it's ridiculous. Throw in that they are playing really good football and it would be really hard to turn them down.

IT-This is what I expect a Charlie Strong Junior Day to look like because it's a mix of national elites, some sleepers, and contingency plans who we may or may not hear from down the road.

With Strong's emphasis on evaluating senior film, who knows how some of the lesser known kids will materialize as targets 8-10 months from now? At last year's J-Day I recall talking to Rahssan Thornton who was about to blow up as a prospect, as well as Zach Shackelford who ended up having a great senior year and becoming a Texas priority. A year later and he's already on campus.

QB Sam Ehlinger, Westlake (Austin, TX) - TEXAS
RB Eno Benjamin, Wylie East (Wylie, TX) - Possible offer
RB JK Dobbins, La Grange (La Grange, TX) - Holds offer
RB Kelon Wilson, Sachse (Sachse, TX)
WR Judah Bell, Bishop TK Gorman (Tyler, TX)
WR Camron Buckley, Cedar Hill (Cedar Hill, TX) - Holds offer
WR Octavius Evans, Center (Center, TX)
WR Damion Miller, John Tyler (Tyler, TX) - TEXAS
WR Dhailon Phillips, Lufkin (Lufkin, TX)
WR Herb Sparks, Wilmer-Hutchins (Dallas, TX)
TE Chance McLeod, Victoria East (Victoria, TX)
TE Major Tennison, Bullard (Bullard, TX) - TEXAS
OL Matthew Huhn, Jay (San Antonio, TX) - Looks like a possible offer to me
OL Brenden Jaimes, Lake Travis (Austin, TX)
OL Walker Little, Episcopal (Bellaire, TX) - Holds offer
OL Grayson Reed, Cypress Creek (Houston, TX) - Holds offer
OL Tyrese Robinson, Boyd (McKinney, TX) - OU: Holds offer
DE Earnest Brown, Ryan (Denton, TX) - Holds offer
DE Lagaryonn Carson, Liberty-Eylau (Texarkana, TX) - TEXAS
DE Alexander Duke, Bellaire (Bellaire, TX) - HOUSTON
DE Taquon Graham, Temple (Temple, TX) - Holds offer
DE Bryan Jones, Madison Prep Academy (Baton Rouge, LA) - Possible offer
DE Troy Porche, Lamar (Houston, TX)
DL Nelson Mbanasor, Hendrickson (Pflugerville, TX)
LB Baron Browning, Kennedale (Kennedale, TX) - Holds offer
LB Anthony Hines, Plano East (Plano, TX) - Holds offer
LB Riko Jeffers, Sachse (Sachse, TX) - An offer in many other cycles
LB Loren Mondy, Lake Ridge (Mansfield, TX)
LB Kenneth Murray, Fort Bend Elkins (Missouri City, TX)
LB Mohamed Sanogo, Plano West (Plano, TX)
CB Kobe Boyce, Lake Dallas (Lake Dallas, TX)
CB Darrion "Speedy" Green, Wilson (Dallas, TX)
CB Josh Thompson, Nacogdoches (Nacogdoches, TX)
S Ashton Logan, Temple (Temple, TX)
S Jeffrey Okudah, South Grand Prairie (Grand Prairie, TX) - Holds offer
S Derrick Tucker, Manvel (Manvel, TX) - Holds offer
ATH Montrell Estell, Hooks (Hooks, TX) - Possible offer
ATH Trestan Ebner, Henderson (Henderson, TX) - SMU

QB Jalen Mayden, Sachse (Sachse, TX)
WR Drue Jackson, Sachse (Sachse, TX)
DE Zach Gilson, Sachse (Sachse, TX)
DB Isaiah Humphries, Sachse (Sachse, TX)

Along with the momentum of the 2016 class, Texas will also have the excitement of having each of its stellar 2017 commits on campus.

2018 four-star QB Jalen Mayden, 2017 LB Riko Jeffers, 2017 RB Kelon Wilson, 2018 WR Drue Jackson, 2018 DE Zach Gilson and 2018 DB Isaiah Humphries.. All from Sachse.

Shaping up to be a great mix of talent. Excited to see what happens, if we throw an offer out to several of these kids I think they pull the trigger right then and there.

My Top 10 wish list from this weekend:

1- OL Walker Little, Episcopal (Bellaire, TX) - Holds offer

2- LB Baron Browning, Kennedale (Kennedale, TX) - Holds offer

3- S Jeffrey Okudah, South Grand Prairie (Grand Prairie, TX) - Holds offer

4- RB JK Dobbins, La Grange (La Grange, TX) - Holds offer

5- S Derrick Tucker, Manvel (Manvel, TX) - Holds offer

6- OL Tyrese Robinson, Boyd (McKinney, TX) - OU: Holds offer

7- DE Taquon Graham, Temple (Temple, TX) - Holds offer

8- LB Anthony Hines, Plano East (Plano, TX) - Holds offer

9- OL Grayson Reed, Cypress Creek (Houston, TX) - Holds offer

10- ATH Montrell Estell, Hooks (Hooks, TX) - Possible offer

That 2018 Sachse must be off the top. Don't recall that many players from one class that stacked..not sure, maybe Manvel.

Well, maybe, what was the team from the late 1980's from Houston that had 19 players that had Div 1 offers...think it was Houston Yates. They played Odessa Permian in the playoff's. Permian kept it semi-close for a lot longer than I expected.

Got a kick a kick out off Permian during that era...160 pound lb's, 180 lb lineman, 145lb defensive backs.

Horns247 Nightly Notes: Big junior day updates
Here are Monday's notes on Texas targets.

— South Grand Prairie safety Jeffrey Okudah has been upgraded to a for sure for Texas junior day this weekend. The five-star prospect left Texas off his Top 10 list last month but is reconsidering the Longhorns.

— Austin Westlake outside linebacker Levi Jones informed that he would likely not be able to attend Texas junior day this weekend. Jones still has high interest in the Longhorns and will visit at a later date.

— Bishop TK Gorman wide receiver Judah Bell will be in attendance for Texas junior day this weekend. The three-star prospect camped with Texas in the summer and holds offers from Bowling Green, Houston and SMU.

— South Grand Prairie running back Andre Johnson is expected to be in attendance for Texas junior day as well. Johnson is unranked and does not hold any offers but is the teammate of the aforementioned Okudah.

— Texas will also host 2018 Sachse defensive back Isaiah Humphries for Texas junior day this weekend. Humphries already holds offers from Houston, Oklahoma, Penn State and SMU and is a prospect to watch.

— Lake Dallas cornerback Kobe Boyce picked up his third offer from Colorado State today. Boyce will be at Texas junior day this weekend.

HornSports Burnt Ends: This week's edition will provide an updated list of upcoming Junior day attendees and a short synopsis on where things stand with those particular recruits and the Longhorns.

Let's get started.

QB – Sam Ehlinger – Austin Westlake
The leader of the 2017 class will be in Austin to do some recruiting. Ehlinger is one of the recruits in this class leading the charge to land other players to the cause. Ehlinger is well liked and other players believe in him after a monster junior season.

QB – Jalen Mayden – Sachse (2018 class)
Mayden will be one of the top targets for the 2018 class, and an offer to him this weekend could go a long way to sending the message about his importance to Texas. If Texas offers it could put them in a strong position with one of the top passers in the 2018 class.

RB – Eno Benjamin – Wylie East
Benjamin is one of the top options on the Texas board at running back, but Texas has yet to extend an offer to the Wylie East back. Benjamin recently named Michigan and Iowa as two schools standing out to him, and he might want to make a decision soon. If Texas wants to get involved, they will need to come with an offer soon.

WR – Camron Buckley – Cedar Hill
Buckley is one of the top targets at wide receiver for the Longhorns, but the Cedar Hill pass catcher named Houston as his leader when we spoke to him last month. Texas definitely has a chance here, and they can pick up some ground if Buck likes what he sees.

WR – Damion Miller – John Tyler
The lone Texas wide receiver commit is still open to other schools, so this weekend is a good opportunity to draw him in. Miller is part of an east Texas trio of recruits, and this is the first chance for the entire recruiting class to really spend some time together. Miller is an important piece of the class so far, and this weekend is an important step in this recruitment.

WR – Drue Jackson – Sachse (2018 class)
Jackson is close with Mayden, and he’s been to Texas multiple times. It’s difficult to tell if he’s a priority for Texas for right now, but It’s a good chance for Texas to establish some early ground in this recruitment.

OL – Tyrese Robinson – McKinney Boyd
Robinson is committed to Oklahoma, but he’s still choosing to make a trip to Austin this weekend. While our sources indicate his Oklahoma pledge is firm, but anything can happen when you get a player on campus.

OL – Grayson Reed – Cy Creek
Reed is one of the top Texas offensive line targets, and he’s recently started to blow up from a recruiting standpoint. Reed is a Texas legacy, and he told us at the Army All-American combine that Texas was standing out for him. Reed has a great relationship with Matt Mattox, and Texas could come out of this weekend with a strong lead for the Cy-Creek lineman.

OL – Walker Little – Bellaire Episcopal
The state’s top tackle is a maybe to attend, and while whispers behind the scenes point to a SEC recruitment, Texas put themselves in a good position by offering Little first. Little making it to Austin would be big for Texas in this recruitment.

ATH – Montrell Estell – Hooks
If I had to pick a candidate I felt most strongly about getting a Texas offer this weekend, Estell would be high on my list. The big east Texas athlete has yet to be noticed on the national scene, but a look at his film will show you some of what made former Texas receiver Malcolm Williams such a coveted prospect.

TE – Major Tennison – Bullard
Much like Damion Miller, Texas needs to do some work in this recruitment. Tennison is committed to Texas, but he has some concerns about the new Texas offense and his role as a tight end. Sterlin Gilbert and Jeff Traylor will need to sell Tennison on his role in Austin.

DE – Taquon Graham – Temple
Graham likes Texas, but they haven’t been showing him the love the Temple defender would like to see. That lack of attention has TCU on top for Graham, but things can definitely change this weekend if Texas goes all in for Graham.

DE – LaGaryonn Carson – Liberty Eylau
The most vocal recruiter in the Texas class has a chance to make an impact this weekend and get some folks on board. Carson is a strong commit, and should be quite a tool for the Texas class going forward.

DE – Alex Duke – Bellaire
The Houston commit has yet to be offered by Texas, but if the Longhorns get involved they could make some noise with the Houston area defender.

LB/DE – Kenneth Murray – Elkins
Murray is one of the most versatile defenders in the state, and Texas has kept in steady contact with him. He’s another dark horse to receive an offer this weekend, and if that were to happen I’d say there’s a good chance he commits.

LB – Levi Jones – Austin Westlake
Jones will be one of the current Texas offers on campus this weekend. While interest is piquing from all over the nation, Jones is close with his teammate Sam Ehlinger, and the tealeaves say Texas sits in the lead.

LB – Baron Browning – Kennedale
Browning recently de-committed from Baylor, and he’s always had a love for Charlie strong and Texas. There is a lot of positive vibes floating for Texas and Browning, but this will probably be a long recruitment. Texas has a chance to put their best foot forward this weekend.

LB – Anthony Hines – Plano East
Hines has offers from over 80 schools, but he’s fond of Texas and is the top inside linebacker target for Texas. The Longhorns are trying to put together a third straight stellar linebacking class, and Hines is an essential piece to that.

LB – Loren Mondy – Mansfield Lake Ridge
The Arizona State commit has been to Austin a few times, and an offer from Texas could cause him to open up his recruitment. Mondy can play inside at backer or on the edge as a pass rusher.

DB – Darrion Green – Woodrow Wilson
“Speedy” Green has been on the Texas radar since last spring, and he’ll be making another trip to Austin for junior day. He can play on either side of the ball, but probably projects as a corner at the next level. He’s high on Texas and Oklahoma at this point.

DB – Josh Thompson – Nacogdoches
Thompson is a teammate of Brandon Jones, and he’s starting to stand out as one of the top corners in the 2017 class. Contact between Texas and Thompson picked up recently, and he could be in line for an offer at junior day. If Texas does offer it wouldn’t be out of the question to see Thompson jump all over it.

DB – Kobe Boyce – Lake Dallas
Boyce is starting to pick up steam as one of the top corners in the state. He’s had a string of recent offers and has been in contact with Texas coaches. There’s some thought Boyce could be in line for an offer this week, and if that happens he’s almost a slam dunk to commit.

OL – Matthew Huhn – San Antonio Jay
Huhn is a massive OL prospect flying under the radar right now. Texas has a few other targets in front of him, but keep an eye on Huhn as a prospect for down the line.

DE - Bryan Jones – Madison Prep (Louisiana)
Jones is a teammate of Texas signee Malcolm Roach, and his film looks good enough to justify an offer. With Roach already on board, look for Texas to lead if that happens, but never count out LSU for a Louisiana kid.

DE – Earnest Brown – Denton Ryan
The newest Texas offer doesn’t know much about the program or college football in general. Texas is one of his biggest offers, so they have a chance to create some distance this weekend.

LB - Mohamed Sanogo – Plano West
Sanogo might be a victim of crowded numbers at the linebacker position, but the Plano West prospect can flat out play. If Texas does offer they should sit pretty high for Sanogo.

DB – Derrick Tucker – Manvel
Tucker has been close to committing a few times, and Texas is among his top schools along with Houston. Reggie Hemphill will be working on Tucker in his remaining months at Manvel, and Texas could get him locked down this week. Tucker has a good relationship with Clay Jennings who was recruiting him at Arkansas.

+++++

We had a chance to talk with a couple of sources about Hardee McCrary, who was announced as the new High School Relations Director. The early returns were positive from the older coaches in the state who knew McCrary first as a Texas player and then as a coach under Mack Brown’s staff. In short, the coaches who know him love him and think he was the perfect choice for the position. He’s more popular with older high school coaches in the state, but they told us his ability to relate with people shouldn’t make it hard for him to establish strong relationships with coaches who don’t know who he is. Those we spoke to thought this was a big step for Texas going forward.

Scout on Coaching Hires
After getting a chance to talk to new receivers coach Charlie Williams and new running backs coach Anthony Johnson it sounds like Charlie Strong really is ready to change everything about the offense, including the practice tempo (to try to rep 150 to 200 plays per practice).

I immediately went to Charlie Williams, who spent the past four years with the Indianapolis Colts, to gather his impressions of Sterlin Gilbert and the new offense he's now representing:

"It's about learning to play fast," Williams said. "After talking to Sterlin, it didn't take long for me to want to be a part of it. Listening to Sterlin and (OL coach) Matt (Mattox) talk and then watching the film they presented, you could see it was going to be exciting once all these guys (players) get it."

On the tempo of the offense (trying to run plays every 12 seconds), even in practice:
"It's a great new challenge. I like it because you move down the field so fast. I call it fast-break offense. We're trying to see if we can get those defensive players to bend over with their hands on their knees. And if we can get them to that point, we'll be all right."

On Williams' first impression of Gilbert:
"My first impression was, 'Wow. He's moved up the ranks fast.' But then you watch his offense and you know why - because it moves the ball down the field and scores points."

On Gilbert's personality:
"Sterlin's a great guy. He and this whole staff are about being around the players when they are in the building and letting them know how much we care. And sometimes it's not even about football. Just talking to these guys and being there for them."

As far as the offense from a practice standpoint, Williams said:
"It's totally different. We won't huddle. In the NFL, we huddled. It's about playing fast. I'm getting more and more comfortable with it each day. It's a lot of fun. Watching Sterlin rattle off the play and then we go through it, it's getting better and better every day.

"These guys know what they want to do, because they've done it, and it's proven. Now, I'm just a another piece of the puzzle."
Why was Williams inclined to leave the NFL for the college game and year-round recruiting?

"Teaching these guys how to play and play the way they're supposed to play and then watching these guys grow as a football player and as a student-athlete, so they're ready for their next chapter, that appealed to me," Williams said.

Even the year-round recruiting?
"Absolutely," Williams said.

Williams said one of the first impressions he had of Gilbert and the offensive staff was, "No egos. We all have the same goal - to win."

On John Burt: "I know he runs fast and has been productive. He ran track, so I know he runs fast."

On Armanti Foreman: "I know Armanti has been productive. People have their opinions of Armanti, but so far, so good, and I think it's going to be good."

On what he has to work with as a group at the WR position: "We'll be playing musical chairs and looking at everyone - probably right up until we play Notre Dame."

New running backs coach Anthony Johnson said he's familiar with the tempo Gilbert will be seeking in practice because the Toledo offense (where Johnson coached the past two years under Matt Campbell sought to rep 150 to 200 plays per practice).

"Eventually, it becomes second nature," Johnson said. "That's what spring practice is for."

We just offered 3-star Plano East DT Deiontae Watts: http://247sports.com/Player/Deiontae-Watts-86600

http://texas.247sports.com/Bolt/Texa...a-DT--43875763

pKoX6Bu.png

If we push for Deiontae he will be ours. From what I've read he loves UT
Sounds good to me. I think we're only taking 1 DT in this class and I know we're after Marvin Wilson but I think he's $EC bound.

Plus, apparently Watts is also Anthony Hines' classmate/friend, so there's some other things at play as well

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Here are Tuesday's notes on Texas targets (Holland).

— Five-star IMG Academy (Fla.) outside linebacker Dylan Moses plans to graduate early and will make a decision before the end of the calendar year. Moses has a Top 6 of Georgia, Florida, Alabama, Texas, UCLA and USC. He wants to trim that list down to three in the summer *.

* also read where Moses is basically at Texas vs Alabama battle. If that is true I'd give us a punchers chance but I'd say Bama 70 Texas 30 right now.

— Henderson wide receiver Trestan Ebner informed me that he has been invited to Texas junior day but is still not sure if he will be able to attend. The three-star prospect is currently committed to SMU.

— Miami became the latest school to extend an offer to Cedar Hill wide receiver Camron Buckley. The four-star pass catcher will be at Texas junior day this weekend.

— Four-star Wylie East running back Eno Benjamin notched a new offer from Oklahoma State. Benjamin does not hold a Texas offer but will be at junior day this weekend.

— University Lab (La.) offensive tackle Adrian Ealy added a new offer from Auburn. Ealy holds an offer from Texas and could visit down the line. LSU is considered the early favorite.

DT Deiontae Watts of Plano East talks about his UT offer (24/7):

“My position coach actually texted me to come to his office, and he was smiling,” Watts said. “He got me on the phone with Coach BJ (Brian Jean-Mary). He told me that they loved my film and that they wanted to offer me. I was really excited.”

“I’ve always been interested,” Watts said. “I went down there for a game, and I really liked the family atmosphere. Even the team played like a family. I also like what they are trying to build there.”

“I am actually pretty close with Anthony (Hines),” Watts said. “We talk about recruiting and playing together. But I don’t know if we’ll end up at the same school. We’ll just have to see.”

Update on DE Bryan Jones of Baton Rouge, LA (24/7):

“I’ve talked to Coach Brick a couple of times on the phone, and he’s a cool guy,” Jones said. “He came out to my school, and he didn’t believe I was a junior. He was really impressed with my size and just said ‘wow.’”

“I’m really looking forward to junior day,” Jones said. “If they do offer me, it would be a big honor because I would get to play with my big brother and mentor Malcolm Roach. It would be an amazing opportunity.”

“Malcolm (Roach) has just been telling me that Texas would be a good school for me,” Jones said. “He said that it’s nice and everything, so I just want to get up there and see the campus and facilities for the first time.”

Update from E.J. Holland on Dobbins and Benjamin
New Texas running backs coach Anthony Johnson is already off to a fast start on the recruiting trail. Johnson spoke to both Benjamin and Dobbins yesterday, and both prospects seemed to get a really good first impression. Benjamin will for sure be at junior day, while Dobbins should know by tomorrow. Dobbins really wants to attend, but it's up to his mom.

Horns247 Recruiting Today: Watts, Filiaga talk UT offers

Texas brought in a big haul of defensive tackles last recruiting cycle. But the Longhorns could still use some help at the position and are targeting a handful of talented in-state prospects, including Plano East defensive tackle Deiontae Watts, who received an offer Tuesday morning. “My position coach actually texted me to come to his office, and he was smiling,” Watts said. “He got me on the phone with Coach BJ (Brian Jean-Mary). He told me that they loved my film and that they wanted to offer me. I was really excited.”

Watts will not be able to attend Texas junior day this weekend because he previously planned to be at Texas A&M. He did, however, visit Texas in the fall and hopes to make a return trip later this spring. “I’ve always been interested,” Watts said. “I went down there for a game, and I really liked the family atmosphere. Even the team played like a family. I also like what they are trying to build there.” Watts has seen his recruitment really pick up over the last month as he’s notched Power Five offers from Baylor, Kansas, Nebraska, Oklahoma State, Texas and Texas A&M. The three-star recruit does not have any favorites at this time and is in ‘no rush’ to make any kind of decision.

Watts’ teammate, Anthony Hines, also holds a Texas offer and is one of the Longhorns’ biggest targets in the 2016 class. Watts said the two have talked about playing together at the next level. “I am actually pretty close with Anthony,” Watts said. “We talk about recruiting and playing together. But I don’t know if we’ll end up at the same school. We’ll just have to see.” At 6-foot-3, 310 pounds, Watts is ranked as the No. 24 defensive tackle in the country and No. 54 overall prospect in the state, according to 247Sports Composite.

Texas has had a bit of success in California over the last two recruiting cycles. The Longhorns landed Kirk Johnson in 2015 and his brother, Collin Johnson, in 2016. So it doesn’t come as a big surprise that UT is still looking to reel in some of Cali’s top prospects. Late last week, Texas put an offer on the table for Vista Murrieta offensive tackle Chuck Filiaga. “I was excited,” Fiagala said. “I’m very blessed. I know that my hard work is paying off because I’m getting offers from these colleges (like Texas).”

Filiaga holds around 20 offers from a number of major programs. While the Texas offer got his attention, the Longhorns aren’t exactly in the picture as of right now. The four-star prospect is leaning heavily towards staying on the West Coast and is high on both Oregon and USC. He will visit both programs this spring. "I will be visiting USC this Saturday,” Filiaga said. “I hope to see the great facilities but meet the new coaching staff. They have a lot of new coaches there now too. I watched a few of (Oregon’s) games, they have some great offensive lineman. They get off the ball really well and play like our line. I love the fast tempo they play."

When asked if he planned to visit any schools further away from home, Filiaga mentioned Ole Miss and Tennessee as potential destinations. At 6-foot-5, 330 pounds, Filiaga is ranked as the No. 14 offensive tackle in the country and No. 8 overall prospect in the state of California, according to 247Sports Composite.

Ryan Bartow contributed to this report

We're spoiled at DE this cycle with Carson committed and Graham, Beal, Brown and Jones all interested as well already.

Texas defensive line coach Brick Haley found plenty of success in Louisiana last recruiting cycle. So it’s no surprise that Haley is once again making a push for one of the state’s most talented prospects in four-star Madison Prep (La.) defensive end Bryan Jones. “I’ve talked to Coach Brick a couple of times on the phone, and he’s a cool guy,” Jones said. “He came out to my school, and he didn’t believe I was a junior. He was really impressed with my size and just said ‘wow.’” Jones holds double digit offers from schools like Cincinnati, Kansas State, Miami, North Carolina State, Ole Miss and others. Texas has not entered the race just yet, but that could change soon.

Texas will host Jones for junior day over the weekend, and it wouldn’t be surprising to see the Longhorns extend a scholarship on Saturday. “I’m really looking forward to junior day,” Jones said. “If they do offer me, it would be a big honor because I would get to play with my big brother and mentor Malcolm Roach. It would be an amazing opportunity.” Roach signed with Texas as a part of the 2016 recruiting class and is already working hard on his former teammate. “Malcolm has just been telling me that Texas would be a good school for me,” Jones said. “He said that it’s nice and everything, so I just want to get up there and see the campus and facilities for the first time.”

Jones said he doesn’t have any favorites and is taking things slow early on. At 6-foot-5, 240 pounds, Jones is ranked as the No. 8 strong-side defensive end in the country and No. 10 overall prospect in the state of Louisiana, according to 247Sports Composite.

Update from E.J. Holland on Dobbins and Benjamin
New Texas running backs coach Anthony Johnson is already off to a fast start on the recruiting trail. Johnson spoke to both Benjamin and Dobbins yesterday, and both prospects seemed to get a really good first impression. Benjamin will for sure be at junior day, while Dobbins should know by tomorrow. Dobbins really wants to attend, but it's up to his mom.
Per The Football Brainiacs, RB JK Dobbins will not be in Austin this weekend.

247 Staff Chat

- On the coaching hires:
I see Anthony Johnson as a big upgrade from Tommie Robinson. Johnson at least seems willing to recruit. You can argue Clay Jennings is an upgrade from Chris Vaughn, but Vaughn was a really good recruiter while he was at Texas. It's a push at worst. I'll also call Charlie Williams in place of Jay Norvell a push. I think Norvell gets a negative rep from his time at Texas because of how unproductive the receivers were, but I think that had more to do with his responsibilities changing than a weakness on his part. I don't know how Williams will do on the recruiting trail but he seems to be as good or better than Norvell in terms of teaching the position based on what I've heard.

- On Toneil Carter:
He didn't impress a lot of people with the way he ran as a junior and a couple of schools have reportedly backed off. I've heard from more than one person that he got some bad advice on the need to save his body for the next level and beyond, but that's only one explanation for his underwhelming junior season. Right now, JK Dobbins is at the top of the board for UT with Eno Benjamin next in line and Kennedy Brooks getting a look. I think Coach Johnson is going to make a push for Carter once he gets settled in, but he's just never been high on Texas. I think he lands at LSU or A&M. Texas offered Carter very early in the process, so it obviously likes him. I just think Carter wants to go other places, which wouldn't be terrible for Texas as Dobbins is a priority

- On Charlie's recent legal issues:
There's a lot of reading between the lines on this topic. That's all anybody can do right now. I think the bigger question, if something does come out that something happened and it becomes public record, is whether or not Charlie Strong lied to anybody along the way in an effort to hide it during the hiring process, or hide it from his bosses now. If that's the case then everybody can start to freak out about worst-case scenarios. I don't think there's a large group of people who want to see Strong gone. On the administrative level at Texas he's got a lot of people behind him, and as long as he's up front with the folks who matter then he should be fine.

- On Robert Beal:
As far as Robert Beal, there's serious mutual interest on both sides as far as he and Texas are concerned. Texas just has to keep plugging away, especially since a source close to Beal recently told 247Sports that Texas is his top school right now.

- CB and LB are the two big need positions for the class, followed closely by OL/DL.

- Bryan Jones, Montrell Estell, and Kobe Boyce are in line for Junior Day offers.

- On attrition:
Don't love commenting on potential attrition candidates, but just look at the roster and see guys in their second, third and fourth years who haven't played much and those are your guys. I expect to see several more cases of it over the coming months. Dalton Santos to defensive end could be a position change. I think you'll see some guys in the secondary cross-training at different positions. As far as attrition, we don't put names out there unless something is imminent.

- On Marvin Wilson:
Things are good with Wilson and Texas. He has concerns, a lot of which Texas could remedy by winning games.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT