ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Thread 2017

Per TFB:
Damion Daniels: I don’t think there are many recruits who have had a bigger recruiting week than Bishop Dunne (TX) DT Damion Daniels, who has picked up offers from LSU, USC, Ole Miss, Michigan, UCLA, Baylor, and Texas. Daniels will be at UTSA Jr Day this weekend, but on the way home he and his father hope to stop by Texas for a quick visit.

Daniels told me he was excited to receive an offer from Texas and hopes he and his father can make it to Austin this weekend. Something to keep in mind that may effect Daniels recruiting is that his older brother, Darrion, plays DT at Oklahoma State. – (Andrew)

Taquon Graham: This past weekend Texas’ top 2017 DE target, Taquon Graham (Temple, TX) visited Austin for the Texas jr day. Graham was teammates with current Texas signee, Davion Curtis. As I mentioned last week, we expect Graham to stay close to home. Texas, TCU and Baylor are his most likely destinations.

After this Texas visit we have been told that Texas recaptured an early lead for Graham. I was told by someone close to Graham that Graham and his family “felt a lot of love” from coach Strong, coach Haley and the staff which remedied some early concerns that perhaps they weren’t as a high a priority to Texas as they were to a school like TCU.

With the offer going out early this week to Malcom Roach’s teammate, DE Bryan Jones and Texas sitting in a good spot with Graham, Jones and Georgia DE, Robert Beal, I don’t expect many if anymore DE offers to go out anytime soon. – (Super K)

Defensive Back Numbers: Spoke to a source regarding Texas scholarship numbers this year, specifically at the defensive backs position and was told that Texas is looking to take 3 DBs. And it sounds like they will take 1 safety and 2 cornerbacks. In general this could be a small class. Told it will be somewhere between 14 and 20 depending on how things shake out. – (Super K)

A source gives 24/7 an update on DE Taquon Graham of Temple:

Browning's last max was 630 and the record is 660 — than he is recruiting. At 6-foot-4, 230 pounds, Browning is ranked as the No. 2 outside linebacker in the country and No. 3 overall prospect in the state, per 247Sports Composite.

UT is the hot spot right now:

Browning weights 230 but can dead lift 630?? Good grief, that's stupid strong!

With Colbert's departure the roster is down to 85 guys and only 14 are seniors. It is take a fair amount of attrition just to get to 20 guys next year.

I expect to see at lease two more guys leave after spring practice at lease one guy from our current recruiting class not make it in and at lease 5 guys leave after next season.

That right there is another 7-8 slots opening up by then.

With Colbert's departure the roster is down to 85 guys and only 14 are seniors. It is take a fair amount of attrition just to get to 20 guys next year.

Higdon expects a class close to 25, and since Higdon's source is Charlie, I expect a class close to 25.

Per TFB: (Very interesting read)

In terms of his recruiting strategy, Charlie Strong is the anti-Mack. Brown made early offers and wanted early commitments. Charlie strong sometimes seems like he’s deliberately trying to not to offer and not to get commitments. At least that’s how it may feel to Longhorn fans.

If it feels like that to you, the reason is because, to some degree, it is true.

I spoke to Texas (and everyone else’s) top defensive back target, Jeffrey Okudah earlier this week after his visit to Austin. Okudah said he had a chance to sit and down with coach Strong. He said that coach Strong talked to him about the fact that he doesn’t want early commits. According to Okudah Strong says he prefers for guys to wait.

That certainly isn’t the first time we’ve heard this. Other recruits have noted having the same type of conversation with coach Strong.

I’ve thought about this recruiting strategy and while I think Texas still has some things that need to be refined on the recruiting trail (many will be naturally remedied with guys like Mattox and Gilbert), I find the delay strategy intriguing. It intrigues not only as a substantive idea unto itself but also in what it says about Charlie Strong and his faith in his ability to be successful…even if it’s in the final hour.

So I want to offer up a few thoughts on why this deliberately delayed recruiting strategy is interesting and perhaps even compelling and what it may say about coach Strong. I will note that I don’t know that this kind of a strategy would work in states that don’t have large recruiting pools but it seems to be working in Texas.

His Offer on His Timeline: One of the first questions most coaches ask a scout or a high school coach about a prospective player is, “what other offers does he have?”. It’s a widespread question and in my opinion is indicative of a schools inability, whether due to lack of resources, confidence or otherwise to do their own evaluations. One group of coaches you’ll rarely, if ever, hear ask this question is coaches from the University of Alabama. The question is mostly irrelevant to them. They offer who they like…when they want. Sometimes Alabama is early and sometimes they are late. They’re on their own timeline.

Strong employs a similar strategy. In fact last year when everyone was offering Okudah prior to spring, Texas was one of the later schools to offer in the spring. But Texas was also the first school to offer Lagaryonn Carson. Strong works on his own timeline and does his own evaluations.

Last year in camp, the Texas staff loved CB Rajah Preciado. Preciado was the only db that could run with Damion Miller (Miller still got him at the tail end of two deep routes but no one can truly stop Miller). At that time Preciado’s biggest offer was Fresno State. The Texas staff didn’t care. Prior to going back to the offices after the camp, Vaughn and Bedford had agreed that if Preciado measured out at 5’9 or taller (flat footed, flat back) Texas would’ve offered. He measured in at 5’8.5. So while Preciado was not offered, it had nothing to do with his lack of offers. If God had given Preciado half an inch of height he would’ve signed with Texas.

Time to Evaluate: To the point above, offering on your own timeline whether early or late affords you the opportunity to really get to know a player and watch his development. And while this may seem to contradict my point above about doing your own evaluations (probably because it does), sometimes delaying offers allows other staffs time to discover problems/issues with a recruit that you don’t.

If we’re talking about taking time with offers, it gives you time to watch a players development and watch how their character unfolds as they handle the recruiting process. It also gives you time to see how some new players will emerge during their senior season who may end up being better than the recruits you had on your board.

A Tidal Wave of Momentum: When specifically talking about seeking delayed commitments, Strong has been able to create tidal waves of momentum on signing day. And as that happens, recruits who you’d think Strong had no shot at can get swept up into that momentum. There were guys in the last cycle that, at a certain point, I thought Texas had come in too late on. But to my surprise, those players ended up signing with Texas. And while those particular recruits will point to very real reasons they chose Texas, I can’t help but believe that the energy and momentum that Texas had going into signing day was a huge part of it. When you get a few commits here and there, it’s less stressful for the fans but Charlie seems to prefer to create this ball of tension and energy towards signing day and it seems to work.

He’s the Hunter, Not the Hunted: Towards the end of the recruiting cycle, everyone is trying to flip everyone else. But what do you do when a kid isn’t committed? You can’t flip him. You can recruit him and perhaps earn a commitment from him but you can’t flip him. Strong seems to like being the predator. He likes to have the guys he feels good about stay uncommitted…as if to make them wait on that moment till they can no longer be preyed upon. Meanwhile, he targets commits and instead of being of Texas being the girl you’ve been dating for a long time…Texas becomes the “new girl”. And everyone likes the new girl.

In a time when players are changing their mind more than ever, this strategy, at least for Texas, seems like a brilliant psychological move in how to deal with the emotions of young people. Recruit them but don’t let them commit until there’s no turning back. That way you…

Remain Fresh: Coaches often talk about recruiting to players using the dating analogy. Whether it’s…”well we aren’t ready to offer because when we do it means we’re committed to you so it’s like dating vs being in a relationship…” Or something like that. Or when a player commits they get the…”this is a marriage” speech.

But papers aren’t signed till signing day so however that analogy goes, there’s no “marriage” till those papers are signed. So you’ve got to stay fresh till the end. Easiest way to do that, it seems, is to delay that exciting moment where a player is able to say “I commit”. Because often, a few days or weeks after that exciting moment comes the…”hmmm I wonder what else is out there?” moment.

Make the Offer Special: I know that in the last recruiting cycle, Strong and his staff had a deliberate strategy of wanting to make the Texas offer special…to make it meaningful. And one of the easiest ways to do that is to make a it a little more rare. Whether an offer comes early or late, they are trying to make it special.

This Strategy Takes Balls: I don’t know what all this is going to mean for Texas on the field but I’ve got to hand it to Strong, he’s got guts. In my experience people who have principles in life and stick to them despite what others say tend to be successful more often than not.

Strong has tried the patience of many Longhorn faithful but his resume suggests that the man knows what he’s doing. People question his recruiting every year and every year he ends with an epic bang. Texas fans are hoping that like his final hour miracles in recruiting, Texas will have similar success on the field.

What's interesting is because his strategy is to make recruits wait, if he were to be fired, it would equate to basically losing an entire recruiting cycle.

If Texas fired Strong in December, I'm guessing we have a class of about 14 to 16 kids and the class remains in the 50's.

I sure hope he turns this around or we will be down for another 4 years.

Reactions: Longyac
What's interesting is because his strategy is to make recruits wait, if he were to be fired, it would equate to basically losing an entire recruiting cycle.

If Texas fired Strong in December, I'm guessing we have a class of about 14 to 16 kids and the class remains in the 50's.

I hope he turns it around too....I think he will. I do not think Texas would be down for 4 more years if Strong were to get fired though. Texas should get guys no matter who the coach is.

When Texas plays well in the big games, and no Iowa St. type games then BOOM Texas is off and running!

If we had 25 commits right now, and he is fired in December then we are in the same boat.

Reactions: BringBackRoyal
Can anybody see why Burton CB Okudah to us? It should be in a thread there called "Friday"

JK Dobbins committed to Ohio State. Don't see that lasting. Will come down to UT vs OU for his services.

Good news:
Lagaryonn Carson added a 5th star on Scout

Bad News:
Bama offered Major Tennison... He was already iffy on our new offense and how we use TE's, plus we don't have a good record of winning head to heads against Bama in recruiting. Still a long way to go tho.

Good news:
Lagaryonn Carson added a 5th star on Scout

Bad News:
Bama offered Major Tennison... He was already iffy on our new offense and how we use TE's, plus we don't have a good record of winning head to heads against Bama in recruiting. Still a long way to go tho.

We beat Bama for the commitment of that QB from New Mexico that ended up signing with Michigan.
We also beat them for Jefferson and a couple of guys from last year.

We have the home state advantage with Tennison, but I think if we are to keep his commitment our new offense needs to show that it will utilize the TE for more than just blocking.

If we are going to keep or land a lot of guys our offense is going to need to show a lot.

In case you missed our note earlier on Thursday, Texas tight end commitment Major Tennison will take an unofficial visit to Alabama this weekend.

This is obviously a big development for Tennison, who has been committed to Texas since October of last year, but it shouldn't come as a complete shock. Tennison, out of Bullard, has been pretty open about the fact that he is still evaluating other programs and he has mentioned for a while that he may take some other visits.

In December, after he picked up a Nebraska offer, Tennison mentioned the possibility of a Nebraska visit. A couple weeks ago, while leaving a UT Junior Day, Tennison said he had a good visit but also noted that he would be taking a Michigan visit at some point, likely this spring.

Alabama entered the picture with an offer on Monday of last week, and Tennison wasted little time in setting up a visit with the Crimson Tide.

The interest in other programs is obviously legitimate, and while it's not good news for the Longhorns, all hope is not lost.

Tennison has been honest about his strong feelings for Texas, but he has also been upfront about some concerns he has about the Texas program and the UT offense as it goes through transition. He committed very early, before his stock really started to pick up, and he's probably just not starting to realize what a coveted recruit he is. Add it all up and he is looking around and doing as much research as possible.

In my conversations with Tennison, the vibe I've always picked up (and he's pretty much said it verbatim) is that if Texas throws the ball to the tight ends, and wins more ball games in 2016, he'll likely wind up a Longhorn. If not, there's a strong chance Texas loses him.

Tennison heard all the right things from the Texas coaches during his UT Junior Day visit, but he wants to see those words actually come to fruition on the field. It won't shock me to see him officially open up his recruitment after the Alabama visit, but this one probably won't be settled until well into the fall. (Suchomel)

A quick update on UT defensive end commitment LaGaryonn Carson.

The Texarkana Liberty-Eylau standout was unable to attend UT's Junior Day a couple weekends ago, but there's no reason to worry about Carson's commitment.

"I didn't have a way up there," Carson told OB this week. "I wish I could have found a ride up there."

Carson said he's just "laying low" right now but will be in Austin for UT's spring game next month. Other schools are continuing to recruit him, as one would expect, but Carson still feels good about his UT commitment.

"Everybody is still trying to recruit me. But I'm sticking with the Longhorns," Carson said.

Along with QB Sam Ehlinger, Carson is one of the more recognizable players on UT's commitment list, and two of the better-known 2017 prospects in the entire state of Texas. Carson has been actively recruiting for Texas on social media and he said he's fine with being viewed as one of the ringleaders of the Longhorns' recruiting class.

"I think that's a good role I can fill," Carson said. "I've been doing it the past four years at my high school. I think I have good leadership in me."

The primary guy Carson is working on is five-star athlete Dylan Moses. (Suchomel)

It certainly wasn't the best recruiting news for Texas on Sunday when La Grange running back J.K. Dobbins committed to Ohio State. Dobbins, of course, is one of UT's top overall targets for the 2017 class and was an early offer for Texas.

The 5-10, 195-pound speedster has yet to visit Ohio State, but said he'll be in Columbus in a few weeks for a first-hand look at the Buckeye program.

His thoughts on his commitment ...

"First and foremost, my heart felt like that was the right place. Then, after that, I just looked at some of the stuff, coach (Urban) Meyer is a great, great coach, they have great player development over there at Ohio State," Dobbins said. "I want to go and get developed as a better player and as a man. And then the tradition they have, they compete for a national championship almost every year, and I want to play in those big games."

Dobbins went on to say that the decision to commit kind of hit him out of the blue, but he does feel good about his choice. The timing came as a surprise and ultimately so did the decision, since most thought Dobbins would wind up staying closer to home. He told me this week the distance stuff is being overstated and moving away from home wasn't a factor at all.

So is this one dead? Not really.

With Dobbins having yet to set foot on the Ohio State campus, it's a pretty unique situation for a kid to pull the trigger on an early commitment. When I talked to him this week, he respectfully declined to comment on if he was completely locking down his recruitment, since his commitment to Ohio State was so fresh.

Dobbins is extremely happy with his decision, but if Texas plays well in 2016 and stays on him, I'm fully expecting a couple twists in this road before he signs in February. (Suchomel)

Galena Park North Shore defensive end K'Lavon Chaisson is one of the nation's top prospects (Rivals250 member) but he's not a player who has grabbed a lot of headlines since he stays pretty quiet. We were able to catch up with Chaisson, who holds a UT offer, to get an update. There's not a ton of action in his recruitment, but Chaison did have an interesting quote about UT QB commit Sam Ehlinger after facing Ehlinger in the state title game, won by North Shore, 21-14, in overtime.

Key quote:"Honestly, me and Texas haven't spoken a lot. But really I haven't spoken with anyone from any school lately. Texas has been trying to keep in touch, but my schedule is just so busy, I can't really give anyone my attention right now. I'm more just worried about myself right now."

Thoughts on Ehlinger:Chaison had a big game against Westlake, recording 2 1/2 sacks on Ehlinger. And while Ehlinger didn't have his best statistical game in the state title game, Chaison came away extremely impressed.

"Honestly, he's the best quarterback I ever went against," Chaison said. "He's so accurate. When you think you get pressure to him, you turn around and you see the wide receiver catching the ball 20 yards downfield and you just throw your hands up. He's a smart player, very smart."

Focused on the weight room:Chaison said he's not worried about recruiting right now. Instead, he's trying to improve his game by hitting the weights.

"I know I want to get stronger, especially in the upper body area," Chaison said. "I'm a little behind everybody else. I just haven't really focused on it, other than just building my body, other than working out."

Chaison has attended junior days at Houston and Texas A&M. He said he has no other plans for visits right now and plans to take recruiting at a very slow pace.

Huge junior season:Chaison said he finished 2015 with 20.5 sacks, 21 TFL, 87 total tackles, 5 forced fumbles and 2 fumble recoveries.

"I know I'm more of a pass rusher," Chaison said. "I feel like I can't be stopped in the pass rushing game, especially if I'm coming full momentum. I can get better though - learn plays more, play recognition, just watch film more." (Suchomel)

A quick note on Baton Rouge University Laboratory School OL Adrian Ealy, a Rivals250 member ...

He told another Rivals reporter last week that he plans to visit Texas this spring. We'll keep an eye on that one to see if anything develops. Ealy holds a UT offer. (Suchomel)

******************************************************************************************

Reactions: HornosaurusRex
CALI DREAMING

Multiple players on the Texas radar have their hat in the ring to be the nation’s top overall prospect, including IMG Academy athlete Dylan Moses and Bellaire Episcopal defensive tackle Marvin Wilson. Texas has thrown their hat in the mix for another player who has claim to the number one overall prospect mantle, Antioch (CA) running back Najee Harris.

Harris, a 6’2” 220 lb running back is the composite top player in the nation. He committed to Alabama last April, and is a U.S. Army All-American. Now that La Grange running back JK Dobbins is committed to Ohio State, Texas has the ability look around a little bit at running back. For RB coach Anthony Johnson, why not start at the top?

I was able to talk to someone on the Antioch staff, and he said that, while still committed, Harris is still taking visits this spring and summer. While he didn’t have a full list together, he said a lot of schools currently are maybes. He reportedly has a visit set to Ohio State on April 16th, but that’s it so far.

When I asked if Texas had a chance for a visit now that he was offered, the coach said that so many schools are maybes, he could not give me a certain answer. In addition, it isn’t easy to just up and visit whenever.

Finally, there may be some help for the Horns in this battle. I was told that one of the coaches on the Antioch staff is a huge Longhorn fan, and was real excited to see Harris offered.

Well done, Joe, I'll take it from here.

Is PCJ a star in the making or what?

MONTRELL ESTELL

Texas extended an offer to the Hooks athlete yesterday. I've fluctuated in my evaluation of Estell, but he's definitely a Texas take. I'm not sure what side of the ball he ends up inhabiting. I'm currently leaning defense, but Texas will give him a go at wide receiver if it can land him. 6-foot-2, 180-ish and athletic; it will work out.

Said Estell, "Feels good to receive an offer from UT. The new offense looks pretty good to me." Estell also noted Jeff Traylor is recruiting him and he likes the bEAST Texas (one time for J-Dub) ties Traylor has. Estell also noted how Strong takes a personal interest in his players. That's a good start.

Estell visited for Junior Day two weeks ago and says he enjoyed the experience. As for position, "I prefer offense but I can play both sides."

I see some Mykkele Thompson here.

Estell is a composite three-star, but 247 is quite high on him. No offense to other networks, but I usually side with 247 on evaluations as far as network wide evaluations go.

Estell also holds A&M and Arkansas offers.

TENNISON

Sticking in the region, how about some Major Tennison news. I'm cringing as I type this, but he'll visit Alabama starting today. I've been nervous about this one since the second he was offered. Yes, Alabama took three tight ends last year, including Irvin Smith out from under Texas (he was a done deal). It's Alabama.

Texas isn't happy about this development and will go forward as if Tennison is going elsewhere. Tennison is still committed but it wouldn't surprise me if that changed.

So what does that mean for tight end? Texas still wants two and will expand its reach out-of-state. UT will also work to flip Waco La Vega product, Kedrick James. Expect Clay Jennings and Traylor to team up here.

One OOS name to file away is Trevor Kent from Pittsburgh, Kansas.

TREVOR KENT

Kent's an excellent prospect for his offense. He's tenacious on the edge as both a blocker and defensive end. He also exhibits fluidity as a receiver. When it comes to fits, he fits.

He holds offers from OU, Michigan, and the typical Midwest schools.

He had this to say, "Their (Texas) o-line coach messaged me last week and said he just wanted to get in touch and that he loved my film. I saw their TE coach followed me. Other than that I haven't heard anything."

Oh, but you will. Remember, Mattox previously coached TE's so he and Traylor working in concert should help.

This is a Midwest kid through and through. Austin may not be his speed, but I think he'll connect quickly with the offensive staff.

Kent's a composite three-star.

KOBE BOYCE

I had a feeling I under-ranked the corner at the time. That feeling is still there. I saw footage of him the other day looking as smooth as it gets. I also had a skills coach tell me he absolutely bossed Charleston Rambo and Camron Buckley (both highly recruited Cedar Hill receivers). Naturally I'm staying in close contact with the Lake Highlands prospect.

Boyce still feels like an offer is close and he's been in close contact with coaches Jennings and Bedford. Jennings liked Boyce while at Arkansas.

It's desolate in-state at the position so don't be surprised if he's offered in short order. A coaching buddy tells me, "he's similar to Holton Hill."

I'll see Boyce and countless others at the Dallas Opening on Sunday. We'll have and open thread going.

Quote from TE Major Tennison after his Alabama visit (24/7):

“I feel like my commitment is still the same,” Tennison said. “I still love the Texas Longhorns. I still love Coach Strong and Coach Traylor just as much as I did before the Alabama visit. I’m going to go watch a spring practice of theirs and their spring game. I still am very much committed to Texas and all that stuff.”

LB Anthony Hines of Plano East tells 24/7 he'll be in Austin for the spring game in April.

Wescott - #Texas seemed to be in a strong position with Baron Browning at J-Day (and is), but Ohio State is also a big-time contender. #Buckeyes

24/7 posted some other notes from The Opening regional in Dallas yesterday:

-TCU is no longer considered the favorite for WR Omar Manning of Lancaster. Star WR Omar Manning said #Texas waiting to offer hurt initially, but feels like new staff has made him a priority. Planning April visit.

-WR Camron Buckley of Cedar Hill says UT is "around the top" of his list.

-OL Tyrese Robinson of McKinney Boyd says his interest in UT is "high" and plans on attending a spring practice.

-UT is essentially out of the picture with OG Edward Ingram of DeSoto and he plans on making a spring decision, said he grew up a #TAMU fan. Didn't get the sense #Texas is really in the mix.

-2018 QB Jalen Mayden of Sachse really wants a UT offer and he plans on returning to Austin in the spring.

OL Tyrese Robinson (McKinney Boyd)

OL Tyrese Robinson of McKinney Boyd talks about UT (24/7):

“The academics were a big reason (for committing to OU),” Robinson said. “They have a lot of tutors that help you out. (read: I won't have to do a single thing in the classroom if I go to OU). I have great relationships with Coach (Bob) Stoops and Coach (Bill) Bedenbaugh. They have a great coaching staff. They put people in the NFL. I feel like part of the family.”

“Texas has been recruiting me hard,” Robinson said. “I like Texas. I have a lot of respect for Texas and what Coach Strong has been doing up there. They also have a great coaching staff, and I like where the program is going. They are turning it around.”

“Coach Mattox actually came by my school right before signing day,” Robinson said. “I think he’s a nice coach. We’ve been talking on and off since I committed to Oklahoma. He’s just told me that I need to get down there so he can change my mind.”

“I want to see them (Texas) win,” Robinson said. “Texas is so inconsistent, and winning is a big factor for me. But I do feel with the recruits that they brought in and Coach Strong, it’s going to change. I’m going to pay close attention.”

S Robert Barnes (Southlake Carroll)

Reactions: CoachEmUp64
Joel Ramos
‏@jsramos04
@SBNRecruiting best recruit seen at the camp?

SB Nation Recruiting ‏@SBNRecruiting 25m25 minutes ago
SB Nation Recruiting Retweeted Joel Ramos
Easy. Baron Browning. Not close IMO. @baronbrwnng is a no-doubt 5-star. Dominated.

Mondy's Brainiacs:

Levi Jones: Westlake (TX) OLB Levi Jones went from an underrated recruit to an Under-Armour All American who holds offers from all over the nation. Recently Jones visited some schools out west in UCLA and USC, and told me the trips were outstanding.

However, Jones does have some connections to Texas as his older brother Cayleb was a Longhorn before a few off the field incidents caused him to transfer to Arizona. Another connection Jones has to Texas is QB commit and his HS teammate, Sam Ehlinger are extremely close. Jones told me he plans to visit Texas sometime this spring and Ehlinger told me that he’ll probably head over to UT on the same day Jones visits.

Jones doesn’t want to rush his decision but with him being a local recruit for Texas the more they get him on campus, the better. – (Andrew)

Tyrell Shavers: Lewisville (TX) WR Tyrell Shavers is blowing up and it’s just the beginning for the talented pass-catcher. Shavers lit up the Dallas Opening regional combine by running a 4.38 40-yard dash and measuring 6’5. Needless to say but that’s impressive. He finished the day by adding offers from Miami, Texas A&M, and Georgia. Shavers told me he hasn’t really thought of where he plans to visit this spring and doesn’t have any current visits set up.

I talked to a source and was told that the Texas coaches are going to take a closer look at his film before deciding to offer. I was also told that the coaches really like Shavers’ size and play making ability. This is the kind of guy Texas needs more of at the WR position and I wish they had jumped in for him earlier but Strong likes to take his time.

I don’t expect the offer to come this week. I was also told that the coaches will mostly be out of the office this week for spring break. They will return on Sunday to get ready for the rest of spring practice. – (Andrew)

Kobe Boyce: Texas cornerback target and recent visitor, Kobe Boyce (Lake Dallas, TX) tested well at yesterday’s Opening event. We had Alex and Brandon on hand at the event but unfortunately they didn’t get a good look at Boyce in 1 on 1s. However Boyce’s measurables to go along with solid junior film have certainly bumped his stock. Baylor and TCU both immediately got in touch and Boyce let me know he will visit TCU today.

In general a number of the in-state schools like TCU, Texas A&M and Texas have been slow to offer defensive backs. But it isn’t for lack of talent. In fact it’s quite the opposite. In speaking some folks to multiple in-state programs there are so many good in-state defensive backs prospects this year that everyone is trying to figure who to offer. Boyce had a great trip to Texas recently and coach Clay Jennings let him know that offer is on the way. – (Super K)

Taquon Graham: Texas defensive end target, Taquon Graham (Temple, TX) tested well yesterday.

One of the things you’ll note when watching Graham on film is he can often times look a little lax when he comes off the line. If you haven’t seen Graham in camp it can cause you to question his twitch and explosion off the line. But as you get to know his athleticism you realize the ability to generate energy is clearly there. The number above certainly corroborate that.

Graham recently visited Texas and raved about his trip. In talking to someone close to Graham I’m told he’d like to make a return trip to Texas after spring break to watch the Horns go through spring practice. We’ve been told Graham will likely end up at TCU or Texas and if Texas recruits him hard enough, some folks around him believe he’s Texas’ to lose. – (Super K)

Reactions: CoachEmUp64
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT