ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Thread 2018

If I recall correctly for the last 3-4 years there have been recored numbers of underclassman declaring for the draft. So I don’t think Texas is any worse or better off than any other school. It’s just the trend in football these days. I think the rookie wedge scale in the last CBA has caused part of it.

Probably right.

any recruiting buzz from the all-star games?

Keontay Ingram reaffirmed that he will commit to Texas. Stated that he didn't on NSD1 because his team was still playing and he didn't want to be a distraction.

Coburn has said that his commitment to Texas means he will probably sign with Texas but does want to take visits. Fortunately, he has 7 Texas commits with him at the UA game. He has been in several many photos with the horns up and signed off on interview with Tom Luginbill with "Thanks, Hook em".

Apparently the players at UA game are trying to make a pitch to Nicholas Petit-Frere, a 5 star OT from Florida but that sounds like a long shot and shot in the dark.

Nik Bonnito (4 star LB from Fla) will announce at the UA game on Thursday. I'm sure our players are working on him as much as possible. But this one really swung to OU after the Chip Brown article submarined our chances.

DaShaun White is at the Army all-american game and we fortunately have a group of guys there as well. He recently said that he likes Todd Orlando because he is "elite". He is a TAMU commit but the smart money is on Texas/OU at this point. I'm sure our defensive commits are in his ear.

As for our committed guys, I think most of the paysites have articles highlighting their performance so far. I don't have access to those but it seems like our guys have all looked good so far.

ESPNU has been showing some of the practices and the UA game in on Thursday at 6pm ET. The Army game will be on Saturday at 1 pm ET.

I like the idea of drinking the last of aggy's milkshake:

The Football Brainiacs are hearing that UT has taken a "slight lead" for DE Joseph Ossai of Conroe Oak Ridge.

Previous intel suggested Ossai would be all A&M if they retained their DL coach (and they likely will), but that no longer appears to be the case.

DaShaun White talks coordinators, looming decision:

2018 North Richland Hills Richland LB DaShaun White has seen his recruitment become one of the most interesting in the state for his cycle. White committed to Texas A&M in early August, but Texas and Oklahoma have still been recruiting him hard.

Texas A&M does not currently have a defensive coordinator. Texas and Oklahoma have known commodities at defensive coordinator,

Who the Aggies get to call the defense will be a major part of White’s decision.

“Right now, I’m really trying to see who Texas A&M gets as a d-coordinator,” White said. “That’s 95 percent of what’s weighing everything right now. I’m just waiting to see who that man’s going to be. Hopefully they name him within the next few days. That’s what’s supposed to happen. Once I know, I think I’ll start to try to message him, get with him, and see where things go from there.”

Though White is currently committed to Texas A&M, he shares a strong relationship with Texas defensive coordinator Todd Orlando.

When asked what stands out about Orlando, White responded “just how elite he is.”

“Just the opportunity to play under him, especially as a linebacker, is something that’s got to be hard to turn down,” White said. “I think he’s that special. I think at first I got kind of a wrong vibe from him.”

White mentioned how he didn’t originally connect with Orlando during the Stars at Night event in July. Since then, the DFW linebacker has enjoyed a much better relationship with Texas’ defensive coordinator.

“I get back a few times, even before they offered me, and he was just more relaxed and chill,” White said. “I got a better feel for him, and he’s a really good coach.”

White has several current Texas signees in San Antonio recruiting him, including Jalen Green, Caden Sterns, and Brennan Eagles.

Education is also a big factor in White's decision, but it is not the deciding factor.

"Texas A&M and Texas are well above Oklahoma’s degree," White said. "With that being said, it’s a pretty big deal. At the same time, I want to be a coach, so you don’t really need such a prestigious degree to go coach high school players or college players."

White wants to make this decision in a decently timely manner after he finds out who the Aggies have at defensive coordinator.

“I don’t think it will be quick but I don’t want to take it all the way to signing day,” White said.

Reactions: oldhorn2
I can't wait to see Anthony Cook in a Longorn uniform. The last time Tom Herman and Todd Orlando had a 5* defensive recruit, Ed Oliver, he was a freshman first team AA on the AP team.
Now I don't expect to see Cook make AA that's hard for a freshman. But our last game next year is at KS and barring injury AC should be an outstanding player.

And we have to have the best group of db's in the country.

Last edited:
Closing out the recruiting class

Texas has had a successful recruiting season so far and inked 19 players on NSD1 with 2 commits waiting to sign. Texas will look to add between 5-8 more players on NSD2. Let's take a position by position look at who the remaining targets may be.

QB: Done with Cam Rising and Casey Thompson Signed. Caveat, could still sign McKee who wouldn't enroll until 2020.

RB: Done with Keontay Ingram, didn't sign due to team in playoffs

WR: 2 on board in Eagles and Woodard.
Need 1 slot WR. There are plenty of available options and Texas has links to many players.
- Jaylen Waddle - the top option remaining. Felt spurned by Texas based on early commitments of other slot WRs. Many have felt this ship has sailed but Waddle has been hanging with Texas commits at Army AA game and throwing up the horns.
- Joshua Moore - will take visits, 5th visit down to TAMU vs UT
- Jalen Preston - TAMU commit, may visit UT
- Justin Watkins - previous UT commit. Classes at other programs may be full, will Texas get back in this one?
- Tommy Bush - not a slot and probably not being pursued by Texas much at this time
- Rondale Moore - recent UT decommit. Likely Purdue bond.
- Lawrence Keys III - Recent UT offer, LSU the favorite but do they have room for a WR?

TE: Done with Malcolm Epps

OL: Done with Ghirmai, Angilau, Moore and JUCO Grandy.
-Will likely pursue a grad transfer.
-Nicholas Petit-Frere, 5 star OT Long shot effort for at UA game.

DT: None signed
-Keondre Coburn: Need to keep in the fold. He will take visits but is still committed and says he will likely sign with Texas. Hanging with 7 other Texas commits at UA game can't hurt.
- Moro Ojomo. Unclear if they want both Coburn and Ojomo. Ojomo appears to be TAMU lean.

DE: None signed
- Joseph Ossai - top target. Has been a TAMU lean but recent news has Texas in the lead. Lack of TAMU DC may be part of the cause.
- Daniel Carson - Texas keeping on the 3 star DE from Mo
- Vernon Jackson - current Bama commit. The talk around him has died down a bit.
- Courtre Alexander - Recent offer, likely a backup based on the two listed above.
- Michael Williams - No offer yet but he will likely visit soon. Probably a LSU guy but no room

LB: Two signed in Byron Hobbs as OLB and Adeoye at ILB.
- Nik Bonitto - likely OU bound. Will announce on Thursday at UA game.
- DaShaun White - TAMU commit but his decommitment has been obvious for a while. He is down to OU and Texas with OU as the favored pick at this point. TAMU DC hire could play a part here but that is still up in the air. White is a big fan of Todd Orlando

DBs: Done here with our incredible haul of 6 top DBs.

All in all I think we add:
1 WR
0-1 OL
1-2 DTs
1-2 DEs
0-1 LBs

To finish with a class between 24-28 signees. Herman has said we have up to 31 schollies but that he didn't see a need to try to fill them all.

CB prediction from D.Warren of J.Ossai to Texas. Hamm confirming UT leads.

Reactions: Bwilk55
Inking Ossai and Coburn would calm a lot of Longhorns down.

While we’re on the subject, aggys, we’d like D.White and one of Josh Moore/J.Preston as well...

Reactions: Bwilk55
Inking Ossai and Coburn would calm a lot of Longhorns down.

While we’re on the subject, aggys, we’d like D.White and one of Josh Moore/J.Preston as well...
Preston and Moore most likely a no but lot of people saying it’s down to us and OU for White

Agreed. Losing Rondale Moore was a bigger loss than I thought
I think we could have had Waddle had we played things differently. That said, I'm not sure if Herman is interested in playing games with recruits who want things their way. I wouldn't mind Waddle jumping on board now but there are definitely some concerns with him being so concerned about being the only slot.

Reactions: Scholz
Curious to see the impact of the Elko hire on Ossai and White.

Ossai was pretty high on ND. Had them as his 3rd option behind TAMU and UT. Word is that Elko wasn't his primary recruiter and that ND had not been very active with him recently. If they keep DL coach Terry Price is also thought to factor in with Ossai as well.

DeShaun White does not appear to have a ND offer, so I'm guessing this doesn't make too much of an impact. It is a good hire overall and I'm sure Elko will be make White a priority over the next month.

I think we could have had Waddle had we played things differently. That said, I'm not sure if Herman is interested in playing games with recruits who want things their way. I wouldn't mind Waddle jumping on board now but there are definitely some concerns with him being so concerned about being the only slot.
The saga continues. Waddle has now said he wants to get back on campus for an unofficial visit. Lots of drama in this recruitment but this kid is electric.

Curious to see the impact of the Elko hire on Ossai and White.

Ossai was pretty high on ND. Had them as his 3rd option behind TAMU and UT. Word is that Elko wasn't his primary recruiter and that ND had not been very active with him recently. If they keep DL coach Terry Price is also thought to factor in with Ossai as well.

DeShaun White does not appear to have a ND offer, so I'm guessing this doesn't make too much of an impact. It is a good hire overall and I'm sure Elko will be make White a priority over the next month.

It might come down to what ever scheme White thinks fits him better. I've heard Elko primarily runs a 4-2-5?

This might have something to do with D.White posted by B.Carrington on the UT staff. White's twitter background pic is the Joker. Also no longer has aggy commit in his bio or his commitment video as his pinned tweet. That'll be $9.95.

Reactions: BringBackRoyal
Also, aggy tears taste like a fine bottle of aged scotch with a hefty price tag:

DSzW2iRU8AAYa8a.jpg

mGfZlPw.png

White is expected to flip to OU tonight.

Sure glad OU made the CFP. Their high-level success is so obviously good for us. :rolleyes:

I like the idea of drinking the last of aggy's milkshake:

The Football Brainiacs are hearing that UT has taken a "slight lead" for DE Joseph Ossai of Conroe Oak Ridge.

Previous intel suggested Ossai would be all A&M if they retained their DL coach (and they likely will), but that no longer appears to be the case.

DaShaun White talks coordinators, looming decision:

2018 North Richland Hills Richland LB DaShaun White has seen his recruitment become one of the most interesting in the state for his cycle. White committed to Texas A&M in early August, but Texas and Oklahoma have still been recruiting him hard.

Texas A&M does not currently have a defensive coordinator. Texas and Oklahoma have known commodities at defensive coordinator,

Who the Aggies get to call the defense will be a major part of White’s decision.

“Right now, I’m really trying to see who Texas A&M gets as a d-coordinator,” White said. “That’s 95 percent of what’s weighing everything right now. I’m just waiting to see who that man’s going to be. Hopefully they name him within the next few days. That’s what’s supposed to happen. Once I know, I think I’ll start to try to message him, get with him, and see where things go from there.”

Though White is currently committed to Texas A&M, he shares a strong relationship with Texas defensive coordinator Todd Orlando.

When asked what stands out about Orlando, White responded “just how elite he is.”

“Just the opportunity to play under him, especially as a linebacker, is something that’s got to be hard to turn down,” White said. “I think he’s that special. I think at first I got kind of a wrong vibe from him.”

White mentioned how he didn’t originally connect with Orlando during the Stars at Night event in July. Since then, the DFW linebacker has enjoyed a much better relationship with Texas’ defensive coordinator.

“I get back a few times, even before they offered me, and he was just more relaxed and chill,” White said. “I got a better feel for him, and he’s a really good coach.”

White has several current Texas signees in San Antonio recruiting him, including Jalen Green, Caden Sterns, and Brennan Eagles.

Education is also a big factor in White's decision, but it is not the deciding factor.

"Texas A&M and Texas are well above Oklahoma’s degree," White said. "With that being said, it’s a pretty big deal. At the same time, I want to be a coach, so you don’t really need such a prestigious degree to go coach high school players or college players."

White wants to make this decision in a decently timely manner after he finds out who the Aggies have at defensive coordinator.

“I don’t think it will be quick but I don’t want to take it all the way to signing day,” White said.

So White thinks Orlando is elite and a UT degree is greater than OU. Then he picks OU... makes sense doesn't it.

ADVERTISEMENT