ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Thread 2018

Curious about how the great Texas recruiting class is based on two QBs, one of which OU wanted (Rising). You get the cream of the crop in Texas, just like most years since 1958. But why two QBs unless one can play WR? Even some OU fans want to see Kyler M. at WR. Seems like a waste given how much OLine and RB talent the Horns need.
ZERO depth in that room....The fact that Texas held on to 2 Blue chip QB's from OOS is badass!

Texas just signed 19 kids and they have room for up to 31 with 7 early enrollees..

All TH has to do from now until February is concentrate on Dline and maybe another OL.

Last edited:
Bobby Brown opening his recruitment again is interesting. I wonder if any of these guys on the fence saw what is coming to town and thought "that would be awesome dudes to play with"
Dude has attitude issues and i'm not that impressed with him, but he is a take.

I like this early signing period. I think it's a good balance of both benefitting the small schools and large.

So we have 2 commits left who haven't signed: RB K.Ingram and DT K.Coburn. Ingram plays in his state title game Friday and may actually get his paperwork in as early as Fri evening. Coburn is waffling (hope we hang onto him as he's our sole DL commit).

Remaining targets:
OT (juco) Jahmir Johnson
WR (slot) Lawrence Keys III
WDE Courtre Alexander
DT Moro Ojomo
OLBs DaShaun White and Nick Bonitto

So we have 2 commits left who haven't signed: RB K.Ingram and DT K.Coburn. Ingram plays in his state title game Friday and may actually get his paperwork in as early as Fri evening. Coburn is waffling (hope we hang onto him as he's our sole DL commit).

Remaining targets:
OT (juco) Jahmir Johnson
WR (slot) Lawrence Keys III
WDE Courtre Alexander
DT Moro Ojomo
OLBs DaShaun White and Nick Bonitto
Does Bobby Brown get added to that list? Also, did Max Wright sign with Aggy yesterday?

Best Available Unsigned Texas Targets & Best Unsigned Prospects Overall at Positions of Need (From neonmoon44 over at Shaggy):

DE
WDE - Tyreke Smith - Cleveland Heights (Cleveland, OH) - 6-3, 260
WDE - Courtre Alexander - Owasso (Owasso, OK) - 6-4, 235
SDE - Jayson Oweh - Blair Academy (Blairstown, NJ) - 6-5, 236
WDE - Joseph Ossai - Oak Ridge (Conroe, TX) - 6-4, 220
WDE - Andrew Chatfield - American Heritage (Fort Lauderdale, FL) - 6-2, 221
WDE - Jeremiah Martin - Cajon (San Bernardino, CA) - 6-5, 240
SDE - Malcolm Lamar - Armwood (Seffner, FL) - 6-5, 250
WDE - Elijah Wade - Arbor View (Las Vegas, NV) - 6-5, 240
WDE - Caleb Tannor - Miller Grove (Lithonia, GA) - 6-3, 225
SDE - Dorian Hardy - Paramus Catholic (Paramus, NJ) - 6-5, 241
SDE - Marcellus Earlington - Don Bosco Prep (Ramsey, NJ) - 6-4, 250
WDE - Arak McDuffie - Trinity (Louisville, KY) - 6-5, 241 - 3 Star
SDE - Daniel Carson - William Chrisman (Independence, MO) - 6-5, 260 - 3 Star

Slot
WR - Jaylen Waddle - Episcopal, Bellaire, Tx - 5-9.5, 175
WR - Rondale Moore - Trinity (Lousiville, KY) - 5-8.5, 174
WR - Lawrence Keys III - McDonogh 35 (New Orleans, LA) - 5-10.5, 160

LB
OLB - JJ Peterson - Colquitt County (Moultrie, GA) - 6-1.5, 210
OLB - Merlin Robertson - Junipero Serra (Gardena, CA) - 6-3, 241
OLB - Nik Bonito - St. Thomas Acquinas (Fort Lauderdale, FL) - 6-2.5, 204
OLB - Javontae Jean-Baptiste - Bergen Catholic (Spring Valley, NY) - 6-5, 215
OLB - Christopher Oats - Winston Woods (Cincinnati, OH) - 6-4, 215
OLB - Tennessee Pututau - East (Salt Lake City, UT) - 6-1.5, 260
OLB - Salua Masina - Brighton (Salt Lake City, UT) - 6-3.5, 205
OLB - Quin Williams - Morgan County (Madison, GA) - 6-2, 240
OLB - Kevontaie' Ruggs - Robert E. Lee (Montgomery, AL) - 6-4, 190 - 3 Star

OL
OT - Jahmir Johnson - Arizona Western College (Yuma, AZ) - 6-5, 278 - JUCO
OT - Nicholas Petit-Frere - Berkeley Prep (Tampa, FL) - 6-6, 272
OG - Penei Sewell - Desert Hills (St. George, UT) - 6-5, 249
OT - William Barnes - Apopka (Apopka, FL) - 6-4, 312
OT - Rasheed Walker - North Point (Waldford, MD) - 6-6, 300
OT - Dylan Wonnum - Tucker (Tucker, GA) - 6-5, 279
OG - Chris Murray - Mater Del(Santa Ana, CA) - 6-3, 300
OG - Tank Jenkins - Park Crossing (Montgomery, AL) - 6-3, 225
OT - Jarrett Patterson - Mission Viejo (Mission Viejo, CA) - 6-5, 285
OG - Jarrett Bell - Norco (Norco, CA) - 6-5, 295 - 3 Star

DT
DT - Keondre Coburn - Westfield (Houston, TX) - 6-1, 329
DT - Moro Ojomo - Katy (Katy, TX) - 6-3, 275
DT - Tyler Friday - Don Bosco Prep (Ramsey, NJ) - 6-3, 263
DT - Rick Sandidge - Concord (Concord, NC) - 6-5, 288
DT - Bobby Brown - Lamar (Arlington, TX) - 6-4, 282 (Signing Friday)
DT - Tyler Manoa - St. Francis (Mountain View, CA) - 6-5, 295
DT - Dennis Briggs - Gateway (Kissimmee, FL) - 6-4, 252
DT - Jamarcus Chatman - Rome (Rome, GA) - 6-2.5, 258 - 3 Star
DT - Alfred Thomas - Lanier (Montgomery, AL) - 6-0.5, 269
DT - Paul Maile - East (Salt Lake City, UT) - 6-3, 250
DT - Shabazz Dotson - Cedar Hill (Cedar Hill, TX) - 6-3, 271

TE
TE - Michael Ezeike - Colony (Ontario, CA) - 6-5, 220
TE - Leonard Taylor - Springfield (Springfield, OH) - 6-5.5, 246
TE - Camren McDonald - Long Beach Poly (Long Beach, CA) - 6-4, 210
TE - Tyneil Hopper - Roswell (Roswell, GA) - 6-2.5, 225 - 3 Star

Reactions: LonghornMM
Not that I am worried about the slot position, but we kind of botched that this year. I don't have a problem with going after guys like Moore and Watkins but once Moore started wavering a while back we should have just went to some of the instate talent that's just as good. Now they are all signed. It's no biggie because there will be 10+ good short fast receivers in every class, but still.

How many of those dlinemen do we have a shot with? Coburn I think is still in the fold, but outside of that I'm not sure.

How many of those dlinemen do we have a shot with? Coburn I think is still in the fold, but outside of that I'm not sure.
Not sure. It's looking pretty damn thin for us. May have to scour the juco/grad transfer ranks.

DE: I think the OK WDE Alexander is ours. Ossai is an aggy all the way. Carson never says anything so who knows (probably a no).

DT: Brown is headed to Bama. Ojomo is getting a ton of recent attention and would be a great get but he's from aggy country (Katy) and they just offered so... We better hang onto Coburn.

Turn on FoxSports to see future (hopefully) Longhorn Keontay Ingram. Game just kicked of at 11AM

It will make less sense when we see where these guys get drafted.
Guys don’t really care as much where they are drafted these days. It’s just about getting in the league and getting to that 2nd payday. Regardless if you are a 1st or a7th rounder

I'm not google proficient enough to find out myself. But I'd be interested and seeing a list of the players who entered early and where they were drafted over the past few years. I still think we are a big outlier as most players likely return when given late round grades. I think our players are just tired of playing on bad teams.

so how's he looking?
Kennedale is definitely keying on him. He just broke a 20 yarder for a TD untouched. But majority of the game, Kennedale has had defenders in the backfield when he touches it.

Surprisingly, Carthage doesn't seem to interested in getting him the ball yet. They have a ton of weapons on the field. And lots of players (I think 4) with the last name Ingram. I wonder if they are cousins or brothers.

If he gets out in the open, there is no one on either team that will catch him. He is that fast. He has shown some tough running between the tackles. He isn't a toss it outside and let him outrun everyone back. He is a between the tackles, wear you down, and then demoralize you as the game goes on type back. Wears 28 like AP, obviously not saying he is AP, but has that same style.

Reactions: q1w2e3
I'm not google proficient enough to find out myself. But I'd be interested and seeing a list of the players who entered early and where they were drafted over the past few years. I still think we are a big outlier as most players likely return when given late round grades. I think our players are just tired of playing on bad teams.
If I recall correctly for the last 3-4 years there have been recored numbers of underclassman declaring for the draft. So I don’t think Texas is any worse or better off than any other school. It’s just the trend in football these days. I think the rookie wedge scale in the last CBA has caused part of it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT