ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Thread 2018

Because the University is paying someone millions and that someone is supposed to be good at his job?

No one doubts how good Nick Saban is at his job and he earns his high salary. But if Alabama goes 6-7, 5-7 and 5-7 in the next three seasons, his recruiting success shouldn't change?

Because the University is paying someone millions and that someone is supposed to be good at his job?

No that's why you expect to win games. What does that have to do with a recruit signing here when we are losing unless some of that coaches salary is going to a recruiting slush fund.

The money is relevant only in the sense that he is paid as if he is among the best coaches in American. As one of the best coaches in America he should be able to recruit top rated players to the University. Obviously, it's too soon to tell what kind of recruiter Coach Herman will turn out to be. But the lack of early success is mildly disappointing. Hey, it could get better. But for now, I don't take any comfort in the notion it's due to the previous staff's won/loss record. I expect a great coach to overcome that obstacle. Overcoming obstacles is what it's all about.

It isnt that Herman is not turning out to be a good recruiter......my complaint to this point is there is no real evidence that Herman is recruiting at all.....almost April and we have one guy on board? This is rediculous.

Not recruiting? I guess all of those guys showed up this weekend for the hell of it.

yeah....my point exactly. They show up....get the swag bags...and go away. When is someone,anyone going to commit?

yeah....my point exactly. They show up....get the swag bags...and go away. When is someone,anyone going to commit?

It'll come. We are going after some big time targets who are expectedly evaluating their options. We aren't seeing many guys we are going after commit elsewhere, it's not as if we are losing battles.

Unfortunately Texas isn't the sure thing it used to be. Some winning will cure that.

Reactions: oldhorn2
Herman is not Mack Brown.....he's not gonna have his recruiting class 3 quarters full by the spring game.....just not gonna happen. If I'm a recruit I'm looking at how the team looks during the season....if it looks like it's headed in the right direction (8 wins or so) then recruiting momentum will pick up.

This coming up weekend seems to be a relatively slow one for Texas football but as might be expected, the spring game (4/15) will bring a bevy of recruits into town. QB target and OU commit Cam Rising will be in town as well as frequent visitor and 4 star WR Al'Vonte Woodard. This will be Woodard's 4th visit in 2 months making me believe we are the strong favorites in his recruitment.

The big coup however will be the presence of the Fast 7v7 team. This 7 on 7 team is stocked with talented Texas targets and it sounds like most, if not all, of them plan to visit together during the spring game. The team is led by top uncommitted Texas QB target Casey Thompson who appears to be a Texas-UNC battle. His receiving targets include 4 star WRs Joshua Moore, Brennan Eagles, Jaylen Waddle and 2019 Jordan Whittington. On defense they are led by Jalen Green, Jordan Moore, Leon O'Neal Jr, and D'Shawn Jamison. RB target Tazshawn Henry is also on the team. Getting this squad on campus together is a huge get.

I would be very surprised (and a little concerned) if Texas does not pick up a few commits by the end of the spring game weekend. Tweets like the one below make me feel even more confident that some good news is on the way.

I read somewhere that this staff was betting on themselves. They are recruiting like they know they are going to win, so there will be no panic, signings for signings sake. That gives me a great feeling about them. If they are willing to risk careers by going slow and certain because they have confidence in themselves, then I applaud that.There is a fine line between confidence and arrogance so I hope,hope,hope we end up on the right side of that.

Reactions: Cotton #12
I read somewhere that this staff was betting on themselves. They are recruiting like they know they are going to win, so there will be no panic, signings for signings sake. That gives me a great feeling about them. If they are willing to risk careers by going slow and certain because they have confidence in themselves, then I applaud that.There is a fine line between confidence and arrogance so I hope,hope,hope we end up on the right side of that.

Agreed. I think we saw a good bit of that this past season with Strong's recruiting. He went after the big dogs, knowing that if he won we would take a big haul. That didn't happen and Herman was left to scavenge at the end.

If you look at the recruiting list I have compiled on page 1 of this thread (which I'll repost with updates after the spring game) you can see that Herman is going after the big dogs. Certainly not settling for any second tier recruits at this point. I'm just hoping for a few big time players to jump on board early so they can keep the heat on the other guys we want. We are all tired of saying it, but winning will cure all.

Reactions: oldhorn2
What do we know about the TE that is playing his final year at UT? I don't remember the name but saw it posted on Twitter.

What do we know about the TE that is playing his final year at UT? I don't remember the name but saw it posted on Twitter.

Kendall Moore is the grad transfer from Syracuse. This past season the team ran a version of the veer and shoot that doesn't target TEs very often in the passing game. He had 1 catch for 15 yds. Looks like he was used a bit more often in the passing game in previous seasons. Looks to be a suitable run blocker and runs the TE routes well enough and can catch. He isn't a huge get but a very important one in terms of depth. I imagine we see a lot of him and Beck this season while Aucoin and Brewer have a year of development. TE will be an important position in recruiting this year given our thin roster at the position. Losing Reese Leitao due to drug charges didn't help either.

Big time visitor yesterday. Getting a 5 star top 10 player on campus is always great. It's his 3rd visit this spring. I think we are in a strong position.

Cook visited this week bc he won't be at the spring game next week. He'll be at Ohio State for their spring game. He's going to take all his visits. Meyer has been on a hot streak pulling out elite talent from tx. Could be a hard battle between us and OSU for Cook's services.

Cook visited this week bc he won't be at the spring game next week. He'll be at Ohio State for their spring game. He's going to take all his visits. Meyer has been on a hot streak pulling out elite talent from tx. Could be a hard battle between us and OSU for Cook's services.

Certainly will be a battle for all our top targets. I love to see how important visiting Texas was to Cook though, making the visit this weekend since he won't be here next weekend.

SPRING GAME ATTENDEES:

2017 Signees

WR Jordan Pouncey, Winter Park (Winter Park, FL)
DE Max $#@!mins, All Saints’ Episcopal (Fort Worth, TX)
DE/LB Marqez Bimage, Brenham (Brenham, TX)
CB Josh Thompson, Nacogdoches (Nacogdoches, TX)

2018 Attending

QB Casey Thompson, Southmoore (Moore, OK)
RB Ta’Zhawn Henry, Lamar (Houston, TX)
WR Brennan Eagles, Alief Taylor (Houston, TX)
WR Erik Ezukanma, Timber Creek (Keller, TX)
WR Jaylen Waddle, Episcopal (Bellaire, TX)
WR Al’vonte Woodard, Lamar (Houston, TX)
OL Reese Moore, Seminole (Seminole, TX)
OL Rafiti Ghirmai, Wakeland (Frisco, TX)
DT Joshua Landry, Lamar (Houston, TX)
DE Braden Cassity, Westlake (Austin, TX)
DE Ron Tatum, Putnam City (Oklahoma City, OK)
DE Joseph Ossai, Oak Ridge (Conroe, TX)
LB Byron Hobbs, Eastern Hills (Fort Worth, TX) -TEXAS
LB/S DaRyan Williams, Nacogdoches (Nacogdoches, TX)
CB Starrland Baldwin, Cypress Falls (Houston, TX)
CB D’shawn Jamison, Lamar (Houston, TX)
S BJ Foster, Angleton (Angleton, TX)
S Leon O’Neal, Jr., Cypress Springs (Cypress, TX)
ATH Taye Barber, Cypress Springs (Cypress, TX)

2018 Maybes

RB Keaontay Ingram, Carthage (Carthage, TX)
WR Lawrence Keys III, McDonogh 35 (New Orleans, LA)
TE Malcolm Epps, Spring Dekaney (Houston, TX)
DT Keondre Coburn, Spring Westfield (Houston, TX)
DT Jordan Redmond, Osceola (Kissimmee, FL)
LB/S DeMarvion Overshown, Arp (Arp, TX)

2019 Attending

QB Roschon Johnson, Port Neches-Groves (Port Neches, TX)
QB Grant Tisdale, Allen (Allen, TX)
OL Kardell Thomas, Southern University Lab (Baton Rouge, LA) - LSU
OL Tyler Johnson, Oak Ridge (Conroe, TX)

2019 Maybes

DE David Neil, Westlake (Austin, TX)

2020 Attending

CB Dwight McGlothern, New Caney (New Caney, TX)

2020 Maybes

S Lejond Cavazos, Steele (Cibolo, TX)

For all you guys who are panicking about recruiting, DON'T. From talking to some kids, they are looking to see what the team do during the season. Some kids do think Herman can't win at UT but they still going to wait and see. If we do come out and perform well, we will see kids committed. The bad thing we are going to see is OSU, LSU and OU picking the hell out of Texas(more than we've seen before). So IF Herman wins, we will be good.
One interesting thing from a couple of kids. Schools are throwing a lot of shade at UT. Saying that Herman a high school coach, UT can't put a player in the league, why go to UT to lose and last, you will be a 3* player at UT.
Just win and we'll be alright.

For all you guys who are panicking about recruiting, DON'T. From talking to some kids, they are looking to see what the team do during the season. Some kids do think Herman can't win at UT but they still going to wait and see. If we do come out and perform well, we will see kids committed. The bad thing we are going to see is OSU, LSU and OU picking the hell out of Texas(more than we've seen before). So IF Herman wins, we will be good.
One interesting thing from a couple of kids. Schools are throwing a lot of shade at UT. Saying that Herman a high school coach, UT can't put a player in the league, why go to UT to lose and last, you will be a 3* player at UT.
Just win and we'll be alright.
:rolleyes:

SPRING GAME ATTENDEES:

2017 Signees

WR Jordan Pouncey, Winter Park (Winter Park, FL)
DE Max $#@!mins, All Saints’ Episcopal (Fort Worth, TX)
DE/LB Marqez Bimage, Brenham (Brenham, TX)
CB Josh Thompson, Nacogdoches (Nacogdoches, TX)

2018 Attending

QB Casey Thompson, Southmoore (Moore, OK)
RB Ta’Zhawn Henry, Lamar (Houston, TX)
WR Brennan Eagles, Alief Taylor (Houston, TX)
WR Erik Ezukanma, Timber Creek (Keller, TX)
WR Jaylen Waddle, Episcopal (Bellaire, TX)
WR Al’vonte Woodard, Lamar (Houston, TX)
OL Reese Moore, Seminole (Seminole, TX)
OL Rafiti Ghirmai, Wakeland (Frisco, TX)
DT Joshua Landry, Lamar (Houston, TX)
DE Braden Cassity, Westlake (Austin, TX)
DE Ron Tatum, Putnam City (Oklahoma City, OK)
DE Joseph Ossai, Oak Ridge (Conroe, TX)
LB Byron Hobbs, Eastern Hills (Fort Worth, TX) -TEXAS
LB/S DaRyan Williams, Nacogdoches (Nacogdoches, TX)
CB Starrland Baldwin, Cypress Falls (Houston, TX)
CB D’shawn Jamison, Lamar (Houston, TX)
S BJ Foster, Angleton (Angleton, TX)
S Leon O’Neal, Jr., Cypress Springs (Cypress, TX)
ATH Taye Barber, Cypress Springs (Cypress, TX)

2018 Maybes

RB Keaontay Ingram, Carthage (Carthage, TX)
WR Lawrence Keys III, McDonogh 35 (New Orleans, LA)
TE Malcolm Epps, Spring Dekaney (Houston, TX)
DT Keondre Coburn, Spring Westfield (Houston, TX)
DT Jordan Redmond, Osceola (Kissimmee, FL)
LB/S DeMarvion Overshown, Arp (Arp, TX)

2019 Attending

QB Roschon Johnson, Port Neches-Groves (Port Neches, TX)
QB Grant Tisdale, Allen (Allen, TX)
OL Kardell Thomas, Southern University Lab (Baton Rouge, LA) - LSU
OL Tyler Johnson, Oak Ridge (Conroe, TX)

2019 Maybes

DE David Neil, Westlake (Austin, TX)

2020 Attending

CB Dwight McGlothern, New Caney (New Caney, TX)

2020 Maybes

S Lejond Cavazos, Steele (Cibolo, TX)

Good list. I am sure it will continue to change with additions and subtractions as we go along. One addition for now, 4 star WR Miles Battle.

ADVERTISEMENT