ADVERTISEMENT

Spring 2023 Thread

Indeed. I was referencing all the hubbub on here and in the media after his first 2 quarters of football at Neb LOL. Then the 2nd half of that Northwestern game happened.
I remember everybody drooling over that performance he had in the Alamo Bowl against an awful Colorado team.

So it looks like no new transfers from Texas. That’s a grand total of 3 guys transferring out of Texas this season.

That means we got a team slam full of bought in, ride or die motherfvckers. Hook’em damn Horns baby!

EDIT: Correction. We had 4 players transfer, not 3.

Last edited:
So it looks like no new transfers from Texas. That’s a grand total of 3 guys transferring out of Texas this season.

That means we got a team slam full of bought in, ride or die motherfvckers. Hook’em damn Horns baby!
This tells me that the culture has shifted in the locker room. They are buying whatever Sark is selling. Hopefully that translates to double digit wins this season.

This tells me that the culture has shifted in the locker room. They are buying whatever Sark is selling. Hopefully that translates to double digit wins this season.
That or they had some NIL opportunities happen to come their way.

Sounds like a lot of teams tried to lure Maalik into the portal after the spring game but he said no thanks. Glad to see him stay and develop like it should be for all QBs. The fact that kids nowadays want to come in and start day 1 as a freshman is crazy. He'll be 1 injury away from seeing the field next season and from what I saw in the spring game I would be pretty confident in his ability if that did happen.

Looks like he appreciates the time and resources Texas has put into him through this injury. I like he wants to go toe to toe with Arch next spring. If he leaves then I understand. I'm pulling for the dude

Maalik truly loves Texas, and being a Longhorn. The dude wore burnt orange under his helmet his entire senior year of high school. It’s gonna take a lot for him to leave.

And btw, I’m not convinced Arch ends up beating him out.

Maalik truly loves Texas, and being a Longhorn. The dude wore burnt orange under his helmet his entire senior year of high school. It’s gonna take a lot for him to leave.

100%. He is a clear #2 right now. This shouldn’t be a popularity contest. The best QB should start. Let Arch wait until he is a junior to start or else transfer. Malik looked like the real deal in the spring game. I am mot saying annoint Malik, but as things stand, this is my current pov.

Reactions: Metcalf #2
100%. He is a clear #2 right now. This shouldn’t be a popularity contest. The best QB should start. Let Arch wait until he is a junior to start or else transfer. Malik looked like the real deal in the spring game. I am mot saying annoint Malik, but as things stand, this is my current pov.
I wouldn’t be a bit surprised if Maalik turns out to be the best of the whole bunch. I worry for Quinn. If he gets hurt, he may never get his job back.

Also, Arch may be tough to pry away from Austin as well, even if he can’t beat out Maalik. He’s pretty much a life long Horn fan. There’s video of him as a little kid wearing Texas gear, and saying he wants to go to Texas.

Reactions: westx
I think Maalik gets even better when he’s playing without a non contact jersey and is able to use his athleticism outside the pocket. 6’5” / 240 lbs worth of QB coming around the corner after the pocket breaks down.

I wouldn’t be a bit surprised if Maalik turns out to be the best of the whole bunch. I worry for Quinn. If he gets hurt, he may never get his job back.

Also, Arch may be tough to pry away from Austin as well, even if he can’t beat out Maalik. He’s pretty much a life long Horn fan. There’s video of him as a little kid wearing Texas gear, and saying he wants to go to Texas.
Arch came to Texas , with no NIL deal, no special perks or anything. Hes staying at Texas. The only thing that MIGHT get him to leave is Sark being fired.

Honestly the ideal situation would be Quinn has a great year and goes pro this offseason. Maalik starts next season and goes to the draft and then Arch would be ready to take the reigns in 2025 as a redshirt sophomore. Don't think it would happen like that but it would be nice. Then each QB would have 2 full seasons in the system before they were thrown into the fire as a starter.

I think Maalik gets even better when he’s playing without a non contact jersey and is able to use his athleticism outside the pocket. 6’5” / 240 lbs worth of QB coming around the corner after the pocket breaks down.
Maalik is not an athletic QB like that. He's strictly a pocket passer and does not have much scrambling ability.

Maalik is not an athletic QB like that. He's strictly a pocket passer and does not have much scrambling ability.
I know he’s not Vince or even Quinn but his highlight videos show enough mobility to keep the chains moving when the pocket breaks down and some occasional designed runs. With his size, he will definitely be a handful for a corner or safety on a scramble.

Yeah Maalik is probably the least mobile QB on the roster.
damn Metcalf....how mobile would one expect 6'5" 240lbs to be?

just yanking your chain man... however....at that size I would expect a QB sneak from the 1 yd line would damn sure move the pile forward....

Reactions: Metcalf #2
damn Metcalf....how mobile would one expect 6'5" 240lbs to be?

just yanking your chain man... however....at that size I would expect a QB sneak from the 1 yd line would damn sure move the pile forward....
A 6'5 240 lb quarterback shouldn't have any trouble breaking tackles and I'm sure he can dish out punishment.

a
I know he’s not Vince or even Quinn but his highlight videos show enough mobility to keep the chains moving when the pocket breaks down and some occasional designed runs. With his size, he will definitely be a handful for a corner or safety on a scramble.
Malik has the size of Big Ben and his mobility isn’t he best, but also, ain’t the worst

2:35 mark and 3:25 mark show a little bit of scrambling

Reactions: freeper
Urban is a POS.He wouldnt come here when we needed him, however, now that Sark has built a roster he wants to swoop in and maybe win a title. Actually, it isnt the roster so much .....At first he was gonna stay in the booth since with the NIL, everyone could pay players.....not just him. Then he starts to do a deep dive into the situation and a light bubl goes off....So what?....Texas can pay more than anyone and just keep doing it!....Voila!....perfect situation for a sleezeball!....Now he wants in....My advice to Urban.....Get in line pal!

My feel is he is having some fun giving the "Texas fans hope" and trying to give Alabama some clippings to get Saban hot.
I don't give any weight to anything that man says.........

Anyone going to the Texas Fight Tour tonight at Ferris Wheelers in Dallas? Sark and the boys are gonna be there. See ya there.

Sounds like sark is brining in former WI HC Paul Cryst to fill the Gary Patterson “assistant to the HC” roll. Anytime you can bring in another quality football mind you might as well

I hadn’t heard about Chryst, only this guy:

Sark isn’t afraid to bring in anyone, which I think is a good thing.

Wait what? We hired a Wisconsin guy to help with offense???

Something’s not right here….
Not sure we really brought him in to “help with offense”. Think we just brought in another good football mind. Could be very useful Wisconsin has turned out great OL for years.

Anyone ever checked out his recorded as Wisconsin? Dude got about as raw a deal as you can as a coach. In 8 seasons he won 10 or more games 4 times. Went 9-4 in 2021 and in 2022 got fired mid season starting 2-3. I think Wisconsin will probably regret that

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT