ADVERTISEMENT

Spring 2023 Thread

Which one of the freshman ol coming in that you think can start?
I don't think any freshman will start at any position. From what I have read from posts on this site, D. Moore WR will probably get some decent playing time, but he won't start.

I'm looking forward to seeing some individual players that will get more playing seeing how much better they'll get.

How can you not love a kid like Michael Taafe? JD Cafffey came in as 4* recruit but the walk on beat him out and now Cafffey is at SDS.

Will carrot top be the next great kicker at TX?

Dwayne Murphy
Morin Blackwell
JT Sanders
Ryan Watts

Looking forward to September

Reactions: freeper
I don't think any freshman will start at any position. From what I have read from posts on this site, D. Moore WR will probably get some decent playing time, but he won't start.
I think Hill will start. I also think while they both won't start, Cook and Moore are both too good to keep off the field. They'll get some playing time. I could also see a guy like Vasek getting a lot of snaps by the end of the season.

Reactions: Lampasas
I wonder what it would be like to have Vasek and Ethan Burke on the field together. One is 6'6" and the other is 6'7".

Sounds like Arch is on the verge of passing up Malik for that number 2 spot. Malik isn’t impressing so far from the reports.

Hearing QBS are the most, quiet/making the least mistakes in spring...

wrs have talent but have had some drops

dl interior we are stacked

Running backs nobody has a clear advantage with Brooks out..

and DB is our best position we have.

IT Notes:

Common theme so far of the Spring is that the defense is continually improving.

The scrimmage was mainly 1s vs 2s but it was good on good during red zone portions which the defense won. The defense is an older group and they're gelling well together. Coaches really trust the corners.

David Gbenda isn't a superstar but he is playing with better leverage and understanding the position more. He was rarely out of position. Gbenda is "neck and neck" with Overshown in speed. Sources think that if Gbenda can keep out any critical errors then he'll be an above average LB.

Collins was the second player mentioned, and he played well. The difference this year than the other years is that he's playing way more consistent. He understands the scheme a lot better.

Burke was mentioned. He didn't stand out but made some tackles today. Needs to be more assertive setting the edge against Banks and Jones.

Holmes had an INT in red zone work. Really consistent coverage ability all spring.

Sanders had a good day on offense. Caught balls and required multiple guys to take him down.

Whittington and Cain were solid. Savion Red runs hard.

Arch moved it down the field and made good reads.

Blue is the number 1 kick returner. Baxter and Moore are also getting looks.

Reactions: Metcalf #2
Scrimmage Notes (Suchomel):

Ewers dropped a perfect deep ball TD to Casey Cain.

Malik Muhammad got reps with the 1s at corner* when they were in nickel.

Arch had a scramble for 10 yards to avoid pressure.

Cain had a great day with multiple big plays. Besides the long TD from Ewers, he had another long catch and run where he juked a safety.

AD Mitchell was held out of practice from some of the earlier portions, but came in later.

Blackwell intercepted Maalik Murphy, ball went through the receivers hands (assumed to be DeAndre Moore)

DJ Campbell looked good

Red played well. Managed to throw Finkley off of him.

Holmes intercepted Ewers off of a tipped ball from Gunnar Helm. Source said it was a good throw, but Helm didn't help.

Not much on Arch but he showed off his arm strength and had a perfectly thrown 15 yarder.

Both backup QBs got runs with the 2s and 3s.

Austin Jordan had an INT on one of the backups (thinks it was with the 3s)

Kitan Crawford is still running with the 1s. Source says it looks like Crawford knows what to do and a case can be made that he's the best safety (my comment: lol I'll believe it when I see it). Still has some mental lapses occasionally.

Barryn Sorrell and Alfred Collins the 1s at the ends.

Whitting, Barron, and Ford made plays as expected.

Johntay Cook and Moore got work as punt returners.

I'm hearing the speed is giving Arch freshman fits rights now. Typical problem of slowing things down mentally. All that film work with Uncle 18 hasn't showed out yet.

I'm hearing the speed is giving Arch freshman fits rights now. Typical problem of slowing things down mentally. All that film work with Uncle 18 hasn't showed out yet.
Sounds like it's giving Murphy fits as well.

I think our defense is finally going to give a lot of QBs fits.

Reactions: oldhorn2
Not to hijack the thread, but with no mod now, I thought I'd throw this out there. Anyone seen or heard from @Belldozer1 lately? Starting to worry about that Dirt Burglar.....

Been wondering about him too. He was doing good coming back from his “event”. Course it is tornado season. He could be in his safe room in his double wide riding out the spring.

Reactions: freeper
Not a word. I've been checking the O-bits in the NBHZ paper just to make sure. Not like him to just vanish. I know his kids aren't out of school so he's not on vacay.

Reactions: RoboCocks21
Brenen Thompson (WR) to the portal per reports..........
The writing was on the wall for him when we pulled Cook and Moore with this years class. It's a crowded WR room. Sucks to lose him but I don't think it's a huge loss with what we brought in the last 2 years.

The writing was on the wall for him when we pulled Cook and Moore with this years class. It's a crowded WR room. Sucks to lose him but I don't think it's a huge loss with what we brought in the last 2 years.
I read some good things Liona Lefau today. What do we know about him?

Does anyone know for sure if Jett Bush is one of HW's grandkids?

Sorry to hear about Brennan Thompson. Be interesting to see where he ends up.

Interesting he just stopped all football activities and focused solely on track. He pretty much cost himself a spot on the team by doing that.

He came in injured during fall, barely played, and missed spring ball. What was he even trying to do is the real question

Reactions: Hoookem722
I read some good things Liona Lefau today. What do we know about him?

Does anyone know for sure if Jett Bush is one of HW's grandkids?

Sorry to hear about Brennan Thompson. Be interesting to see where he ends up.
According to some OU sites, it will come down to ASU and OU. One OU insider says we are very interested. It says he's interested in the Olympics. I wouldn't risk a football injury if I was him if that is true.

Any new Bell info?

Interesting he just stopped all football activities and focused solely on track. He pretty much cost himself a spot on the team by doing that.

He came in injured during fall, barely played, and missed spring ball. What was he even trying to do is the real question
Take a full football scholarship and use it to run track. Probably doesn't sit well with the coaches unless you are a stud. I'm sure Sark would like to have that scholarship back for a player who plays football full time. Especially with the depth he is acquiring at WR.

Take a full football scholarship and use it to run track. Probably doesn't sit well with the coaches unless you are a stud. I'm sure Sark would like to have that scholarship back for a player who plays football full time. Especially with the depth he is acquiring at WR.
To add on to this. You take a scholarship to play football, then get injured playing another sport. Yeah, I'm thinking he lost his spot.

Reactions: hookem777
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT