ADVERTISEMENT

Spring 2023 Thread

So it looks like it has been confirmed that Xavier was playing with a broken hand for a good part of the season.

Reactions: westx
Makes me wonder even more why we forced him the ball all year if we new this.
I think a lot of it was Quinn being a young QB and pre determining where he was going pre snap. But for me it kind of changes my outlook of X last year. To still be out there gutting it out with a broken hand is pretty gutsy.

Depends on the type of break. I've broken a little bone in my hand several times. It's not that bad and never prevented me from doing anything. Didn't even need to go to the Dr. I assume his was the same way because he continued to play football with no cast. It was a non issue and they are just making excuses for the deserved criticism of why he sucked at times last year.

Depends on the type of break. I've broken a little bone in my hand several times. It's not that bad and never prevented me from doing anything. Didn't even need to go to the Dr. I assume his was the same way because he continued to play football with no cast. It was a non issue and they are just making excuses for the deserved criticism of why he sucked at times last year.
Though I don’t disagree with your sentiment, Sark did say he was in a cast for 8 weeks after the season.

He was in a cast for 8 weeks after the season but ya you're Superman, we get it.... I'd love to see tape of your time in college football playing with a broken hand since it's such a "non issue".

He was in a cast for 8 weeks after the season but ya you're Superman, we get it.... I'd love to see tape of your time in college football playing with a broken hand since it's such a "non issue".

I played baseball with broken bones in my hand/wrist. But, I also missed time with hand/wrist breaks.

Like he said, it depends on type of break and where. But it certainly limits you.

I played baseball with broken bones in my hand/wrist. But, I also missed time with hand/wrist breaks.

Like he said, it depends on type of break and where. But it certainly limits you.
Well especially being a WR and your hands being the most important body part. It's one thing to play defense where you can tape it up and put padding on it, but playing WR you can't do that with a hand injury. Either way I have a hard time thinking it wasn't a part in why he had a problem with drops. And 8 weeks in a cast is pretty significant. I know when I broke my wrist I was around 25 and I was only in a cast for 5 weeks. Even after I got it off it took me a couple more weeks to build my strength back up to that arm.

I get it, you're a wimp. If it was a bad break he would have been put in a cast and not continued to play. They did it after the season for precaution to let it completely heal and prevent him from re-injuring it. You don't have to be Superman to play through a little pain.

Also, if the coaches knew he was in that much pain and it was affecting his play then it was their failure because they allowed him to suck by playing an injured player. Which is it?

Well especially being a WR and your hands being the most important body part. It's one thing to play defense where you can tape it up and put padding on it, but playing WR you can't do that with a hand injury. Either way I have a hard time thinking it wasn't a part in why he had a problem with drops. And 8 weeks in a cast is pretty significant. I know when I broke my wrist I was around 25 and I was only in a cast for 5 weeks. Even after I got it off it took me a couple more weeks to build my strength back up to that arm.
That is a wrist, not a hand.

I get it, you're a wimp. If it was a bad break he would have been put in a cast and not continued to play. They did it after the season for precaution to let it completely heal and prevent him from re-injuring it. You don't have to be Superman to play through a little pain.

Also, if the coaches knew he was in that much pain and it was affecting his play then it was their failure because they allowed him to suck by playing an injured player. Which is it?
Go ahead and post that link of you playing college football with a broken hand. I'll wait... If you haven't done it then STFU and move on. He still led the Big 12 in receiving TDs so I don't know about suck being the right word for his play. More like inconsistent. Sounds like you have some kind of personal vendetta against the guy that's clouding your judgement. Real easy to sit behind a screen and call a player out.

Last edited:
Reactions: HornDrummer
The bad part is that the broken part may not mend in proper alignment if you wait so long for the cast. Don’t get me wrong, It will mend and heal, but more than likely a little off

Anyone have any practice info! Was X catching everything in sight?
sark notes from today

• He likes the leadership on this team and how certain guys have taken on a leadership role.
  • The intent in Day 1 was a plus and something that can be built upon through camps.
  • Worthy played with a broken hand for the second half of the 2022 season. The injury was kept under wraps to “protect the team” + prevent opponents from knowing, and Sark anticipates Worthy will ball out in 2023.
  • Maalik is still nursing a bit of a foot injury (same one since Jan 2022).
  • JBrooks, Catalon, Guilbeau, Gullette, Hutson, Murphy, Neyor, and KRob will be limited throughout spring practice out of precaution. KRob is currently dealing with a strain.
  • Baxter doesn’t act like a freshman. He’s been putting in the work in winter conditioning, in the classroom, and in practice today. A “no nonsense” kind of guy.
  • On Ewers development: “I thought Quinn had a really good winter… There’s a lot on his mind. The gears were moving but there’s no WD-40 in there. Those gears were grinding. It felt that way for him pretty much all year long.”
  • On Manning: “There’s growing pains. We make a big deal out of the guy losing his ID twice his first couple of weeks. He’s a freshman in college, but he does take it serious and he wants to be really good.”
  • Catalon is a natural leader who is vocal in the backend.
  • Sark likes the depth on the roster and believes the staff has managed the roster well from a numbers standpoint.
  • The top 2 priorities this season (on the field) are being more efficient at throwing the football and finding ways to affect the QB on defense.
  • The WR group took a step in the positive direction this offseason in regards to the talent in the room.
  • Sark/PK will use the next few weeks to figure out who will replace Oghoufo at the BUCK. Seems like it’s open for the taking as there’s “a few guys” that are under consideration.
  • Sark reminds the media that he’s “never not had a 1000 yard rusher” when talking about if there will be a dropoff in rushing production with Bijan/RoJo heading to the league.
  • Savion Red has moved from WR to RB.

The fact that Murphy is still nursing the same injury from HS is a bad sign to me...

Last edited:
sark notes from today

• He likes the leadership on this team and how certain guys have taken on a leadership role.
  • The intent in Day 1 was a plus and something that can be built upon through camps.
  • Worthy played with a broken hand for the second half of the 2022 season. The injury was kept under wraps to “protect the team” + prevent opponents from knowing, and Sark anticipates Worthy will ball out in 2023.
  • Maalik is still nursing a bit of a foot injury (same one since Jan 2022).
  • JBrooks, Catalon, Guilbeau, Gullette, Hutson, Murphy, Neyor, and KRob will be limited throughout spring practice out of precaution. KRob is currently dealing with a strain.
  • Baxter doesn’t act like a freshman. He’s been putting in the work in winter conditioning, in the classroom, and in practice today. A “no nonsense” kind of guy.
  • On Ewers development: “I thought Quinn had a really good winter… There’s a lot on his mind. The gears were moving but there’s no WD-40 in there. Those gears were grinding. It felt that way for him pretty much all year long.”
  • On Manning: “There’s growing pains. We make a big deal out of the guy losing his ID twice his first couple of weeks. He’s a freshman in college, but he does take it serious and he wants to be really good.”
  • Catalon is a natural leader who is vocal in the backend.
  • Sark likes the depth on the roster and believes the staff has managed the roster well from a numbers standpoint.
  • The top 2 priorities this season (on the field) are being more efficient at throwing the football and finding ways to affect the QB on defense.
  • The WR group took a step in the positive direction this offseason in regards to the talent in the room.
  • Sark/PK will use the next few weeks to figure out who will replace Oghoufo at the BUCK. Seems like it’s open for the taking as there’s “a few guys” that are under consideration.
  • Sark reminds the media that he’s “never not had a 1000 yard rusher” when talking about if there will be a dropoff in rushing production with Bijan/RoJo heading to the league.
  • Savion Red has moved from WR to RB.
On Quinn: Wth is he talking about. I am pretty decent at deciphering coach speak but, damn. Does this mean he is spending a lot of time in the sorority houses?

On Worthy: Stupid strategy, imo. I could be wrong, though. I am a simpleton at heart and need translation for 3d chess speak.

I just read that Patterson stepped away from "assistant to the regional manager" role.

IT’s Day 1 Media Availability Practice Notes (I know y’all have been waiting all offseason for these):
  • Ewers was QB1 (obv) and Manning was QB2. Murphy was held out of some drills for reasons unknown.
  • Johnathan Brooks and KRob didn’t practice during the media availability.
  • Hayden Connor worked as starting guard, but also as backup center.
  • Broughton could be the guy to fill in for Ojomo as he was lining up “quasi-outside”.
  • Neto is backup LG and Agbo is backup RG. Stroh is 3rd team RG.
  • Robertson and Hutson were in non-contact jerseys (due to injuries from last season/offseason)
  • Kirkland looks good and Sydir is working on getting in the playing shape that the coaches want him to be.
  • AD Mitchell is behind Cain (for the time being), Moore is behind Whitt, and Cook is behind Worthy.
  • Worthy and Whitt led by example and were the first two guys on the practice field ready to go.
  • Catalon and Holmes will help bolster the secondary and Jordan + Brooks look like they could potentially get some decent playing time if they have solid camps.

Go ahead and post that link of you playing college football with a broken hand. I'll wait... If you haven't done it then STFU and move on. He still led the Big 12 in receiving TDs so I don't know about suck being the right word for his play. More like inconsistent. Sounds like you have some kind of personal vendetta against the guy that's clouding your judgement. Real easy to sit behind a screen and call a player out.

Worthy pretty much lost a couple of games for us last year, so yeah, he sucked at times. Whatever, go ahead and give Worthy a pass like the coaches want you to do. When he drops a pass or can't find the ball in the air this year and then runs to the sideline pouting like he did several times last year you can think of me. Maybe they will find another excuse for him.

Worthy pretty much lost a couple of games for us last year, so yeah, he sucked at times. Whatever, go ahead and give Worthy a pass like the coaches want you to do. When he drops a pass or can't find the ball in the air this year and then runs to the sideline pouting like he did several times last year you can think of me. Maybe they will find another excuse for him.
I'm sure you're just perfect in everything you do in life.

I'm concerned about the QB position. Ewers has all the talent but it appears he is not picking up the playbook.

I'm concerned about the QB position. Ewers has all the talent but it appears he is not picking up the playbook.
Bobby Burton spoke highly of Arch yesterday. Said he's probably the most ready to play looking freshman he has seen on the 40 acres in his 30 years of doing this. He also said Quinn looked really good yesterday. Said his footwork looked a lot better than it did at this time last year.

Bobby Burton spoke highly of Arch yesterday. Said he's probably the most ready to play looking freshman he has seen on the 40 acres in his 30 years of doing this. He also said Quinn looked really good yesterday. Said his footwork looked a lot better than it did at this time last year.
Hopefully, this is true. Burton has been known to sell the Kool Aide in the offseason. The Billy Donovan news is good. It's too bad he's about to be let go by the Bulls. He's better than Calipari.

Read that QB Murphy was held out again for some reason. Don't know if he's still injured but the guy can't even get on the practice field. If I'm Sark I would be looking for another QB to transfer in after the spring. We don't want to go into the season with only two healthy QBs and one being a true freshman. Sark better pray they stay healthy.

Read that QB Murphy was held out again for some reason. Don't know if he's still injured but the guy can't even get on the practice field. If I'm Sark I would be looking for another QB to transfer in after the spring. We don't want to go into the season with only two healthy QBs and one being a true freshman. Sark better pray they stay healthy.
Yeah I agree. Definitely need a transfer guy. Murphy sadly I think will be in the portal next year.

Any word on how Wright is doing?

Johntay Cook is going to be a stud! I think he's ready to contribute day 1 similar to Worthy his freshman year. All that training he's done with Margin Hooks is evident when you watch him run routes.

IT’s Day 2 Spring Practice Notes (Summarized):
  • Kris Ross was working with the EDGEs today.
  • Officials were present today at camp as there was a team session today (not during media viewing)
  • Red and Baxter were praised by Choice for how they performed in drills (creating separation and passing primarily)
  • Ewers and Manning were still QB1 and QB2, respectively, and Murphy was held out of practice today.
  • Ewers looked on point targeting receivers in tight windows. Manning threw some intermediate passes towards the left side of the field a bit too high in drills.
  • AD Mitchell is built different (my words, not Burton’s), but had a few drops that can be cleaned up. Two drops were bc he was late turning around, and the third was bc of timing with Arch.
  • JT put in work in both TE and OL drills.
  • Sydir seems to be a project for this year. Bo had him redo a few drills in practice, and Sweat took the time to show Sydir the proper way to do the drills.
  • Cook’s route running ability should allow him to see playing time on the field early.
  • Whitt and Worthy look and practice like guys that are putting in work with a purpose.
  • Sorrell and Finkley took reps with the 1s on DL. Burke is running next.
  • Bledsoe is working and learning on the interior DL behind Sweat, Murphy, Collins, and Broughton.
  • Corners + nickels look like the most physically impressive and deepest group in the squad.

ADVERTISEMENT