ADVERTISEMENT

Strong officially targeting Cumbie

Scholz

Jul 22, 2005
Time to swing that financial hammer and spend some of that money Belmont prints.

Breaking: Charlie Strong is targeting TCU Co-OC Sonny Cumbie as new Texas OC

As Charlie Strong prepares to head into a critically important off-season that could ultimately define how his tenure in Austin is remembered, the decision on a new offensive coordinator looms paramount.

If Strong has his way, it’s a decision that could be answered a week from today.

According to multiple sources with knowledge of the situation, Strong has targeted TCU co-offensive coordinator Sonny Cumbie as his No.1 candidate for the Texas offensive coordinator position, and the hope inside the Longhorn program is that a deal can be closed over the weekend and an announcement can be made as early as Monday, December 7, two days after the Longhorns complete their season in Waco.

The 34-year old Cumbie has been instrumental in the offensive turnaround at TCU over the course of the last two seasons as co-offensive coordinator, along with fellow co-offensive coordinator Doug Meacham, turning what was a sluggish offense prior to his arrival into one of the nation’s most explosive units.

Of special interest to Strong and those inside the Texas athletic department is Cumbie’s success in working with TCU senior quarterback Trevone Boykin, a player many thought would play the final two seasons of his career at wide receiver, but instead turned into a Heisman finalist at quarterback a year ago and now ranks among the greatest players in the history of the TCU program.

While the interest in Cumbie is absolute, it’s not a hire that will come without potential hurdles.

Multiple sources have indicated that if Meachum takes the vacant North Texas job, which some in the Dallas-Ft. Worth Metroplex believe he is the favorite to land, it could complicate the hiring process should the Horned Frogs attempt to retain Cumbie by offering him the offensive coordinator position in full, along with a hefty raise.

“This is something that we’d like to move fast on and I believe the only fly in the ointment would be Meacham taking the North Texas job,” one source told Orangebloods.com. “If all goes well, Cumbie will be the new OC and he’ll be announced on Monday.”

From a compensation standpoint, one high-level Texas official confirmed a couple weeks ago that the Longhorns are prepared to swing a mighty financial hammer, which might include spending more than a million dollars per season if that’s what it takes to get Strong’s preferred candidate. Heading into this season, only eight assistant coaches across the country make more than one million dollars per season and LSU’s Cam Cameron is the only offensive coordinator in that group. The highest paid assistant on Strong’s current staff is defensive coordinator Vance Bedford, who makes $775,000 per year.

If the Texas administration decides to put Cumbie into that type of company, it will almost double the amount of money TCU is currently paying both Meacham (reportedly $350,000) and Cumbie (reportedly $210,000) combined.

One source told Orangebloods two weeks ago that Cumbie’s work with Boykin as the TCU quarterback coach is a critical piece of UT’s interest in him, as current starter Jerrod Heard owns a similar skill set to the TCU record-setter and there’s thought that Heard is in a very similar situation to Boykin’s when Cumbie arrived as his quarterbacks coach in 2014.

A native of Snyder, Cumbie was a co-offensive coordinator at Texas Tech in 2013, while also serving as a GA and wide receiver coach for the Red Raiders from 2009-12. As a player at Texas Tech, Cumbie was a walk-on for Mike Leach and earned the starting position in 2004, throwing for 4,742 yards and 32 touchdowns on an 8-4 team that beat an Aaron Rodgers-led California squad in the Holiday Bowl.

The hiring of a new offensive coordinator is crucial to Strong’s tenure at Texas.

Joe Wickline was given the offensive coordinator title, but Shawn Watson seemingly called plays and definitely spoke to the media throughout the week and after games. Under Watson, Texas’ offense struggled during the 2014 season, which prompted the staff to install an up-tempo offense during the offseason. This year’s offense was supposed to produce more points, while generating excitement among recruits and fans.

However, Texas’ offense seemingly regressed during a 38-3 season-opening loss against Notre Dame. The futility motivated Strong to give receivers coach Jay Norvell play-calling duties and relegate Watson to coaching quarterbacks.

Norvell had an immediate impact in the following three games (Rice, Cal and Oklahoma State), but the offense began to struggle again under his guidance. Texas quarterback Jerrod Heard did not have over 100 passing yards in four consecutive games, and he was benched against TCU and Iowa State during that stretch. The Longhorn offense is currently ranked 104th in the nation.

On Cumbie and potential OL hires by Eric Nahlin 11/30/15:

Anwar at OB posted that he's a target of Strong's. This isn't news to you by any means but now we can at least discuss it more openly.

Cumbie is the #1 candidate and has been internally since October when it was apparent Strong's offensive blindspot needed a new set of eyes.

Money helps the situation greatly, as does the chance for the 34-year old to solidify the trajectory of his rising star. Be the guy who gets Strong to a second contract - as improbable as it sounds now - and he'll be in demand for head coaching gigs, and not at places like North Texas.

Ah yes, North Texas. With the Denton school trying to hire Cumbie's co-offensive coordinator and play-caller, Doug Meacham, Cumbie being elevated to sole OC is a hindrance but not one that can't be overcome. Cumbie would still entertain an opportunity at Texas but obviously TCU would become a bigger roadblock.

Offensive line candidates would be Missouri's Josh Henson and Arizona State's Chris Thomsen. We'll have more on them later.

If you said Strong was too rigid to go Air-Raid, you were incorrect. If you said no big names would want to work for him, again, incorrect. Now it's time to close it regardless of what happens with Meacham and North Texas.

As stated weeks ago, they'd like to have the hire announced immediately after Baylor to start recruiting and building momentum. The story line can't be 'Texas went 4-8.' It needs to be, 'whoa, Cumbie, Strong's going to fix the offense!'

It's not just what he did at TCU with TB. He got maximum production out of receivers who didn't play much, Josh Doctson being the best example. Can he do that next year if he comes to Austin? Right now only John Burt has shown potential. We definitely need to recruit some top notch receivers this year for him to show what he can do,

Meachum has already been named the HC at North Texas and Cumbie has already been named the OC at TCU....He has yet to hear our offer as far as I know, or at least he has yet to turn down our offer as far as I kn ow.

I think Cumbie is our best chance at a splash OC hire. Not that there aren't other good OCs out there, but Cumbie would register the most with recruits. Every TCU game he get's mentioned about a dozen times in what he's done with Boykin and the offense.

The two potential candidates for OL coach mentioned by IT:

Josh Henson (current Mizzou OC and OL coach):
http://247sports.com/Coach/Josh-Hens...llTimeRecruits
http://mutigers.com/coaches.aspx?rc=17
Summary: Football career as a Poke, stops at OSU and LSU as both recruiting coordinator/TE coach before going to Mizzou where he's handled OC/TE/OL since 2013. Currently makes $560K.

Chris Thomsen (current Arizona State assistant head coach and OL coach):
http://247sports.com/Coach/Chris-Tho...llTimeRecruits
http://www.thesundevils.com/ViewArti...CLID=207911673
Summary: Football/baseball career as a Horned Frog, started at Abilene Christian as GA/OL/DL/recruiting coordinator for 4 years before 2 year stint at Central Arkansas as recruiting coordinator/OL coach before returning back to ACU from 2005-2011, spent 2012 as TTU's OL coach, before moving to Arizona State for the past 2 years as assistant HC/OL coach. Currently makes $265K.

Yeah, I think a new OC is going to want his own guys in there. I hope Jeff Traylor is safe though.

I would think in this scenario Traylor would be moved over to coach running backs since it appears Robinson may be on the way out. High Risk high reward guy with Cumbie, he seems to be a dynamic QB coach for sure.

Yeah, I think a new OC is going to want his own guys in there. I hope Jeff Traylor is safe though.

I don't think a new OC automatically gets to bring in new offensive assistants. Cumbie is a young guy anyways who would his guys be?

Regardless it may be for the best as I am not sure the Wickline experience of being OC playcaller (at least in title), to Co-OC (non playcaller), to OL coach is really working out. I am sure it's not doing much for his ego as well.

Seems that while Crumbie is unproven as a playcaller, he is a solid rainmaker with recruiting. Given the lack of available big names this seems like a solid hire, hope we can close the deal, and I hope this gamble (with playcalling) pays off. Definitely want to keep Traylor and would be nice to hang on to Norvell. I'd like to keep Wickline too, but maybe that OSU lawsuit and the pennypenching by the administration has been too much. I did notice that he was doing a recruiting visit (posted yesterday), so he's still clocking hours.

Not impressed with Brick or Robinson and now is the time to jettison the deadwood.

Hook 'em

Tap the Breaks....

FWIW, TCU's 24/7 site reporting if Meacham takes the North Texas job, Cumbie will stay at TCU

TCU co-offensive coordinator Doug Meacham will be the new head coach at North Texas, according to a person familiar with the situation, but fellow co-offensive coordinator Sonny Cumbie is probably not going anywhere.

The Denton Record-Chronicle reported that some North Texas players have been told Meacham will be offered the job, although the other finalist, North Carolina offensive coordinator Seth Littrell, could still get the job.

Meanwhile, Cumbie was linked to Texas and head coach Charlie Strong, who is expected to seek a makeover of the Longhorns offense following a second consecutive season of underperformance at quarterback. A source, asked if TCU would be able to keep Cumbie from UT, said, “Yes.”

However, no decisions about a promotion or increase in pay for Cumbie have been made.

TCU officials did not answer requests for comment.

Meacham and Cumbie teamed together to install the Air Raid offense at TCU two years ago, hired by coach Gary Patterson following two stalled seasons for the Horned Frogs in their first two years in the Big 12.

With Cumbie also serving as quarterbacks coach, Trevone Boykin went from emergency quarterback as a sophomore to to full-time quarterback and Heisman Trophy candidate as a junior, breaking numerous school records in two years while the Horned Frogs went 22-3.

Meacham also coached the inside receivers, and despite losing Deante’ Gray to a knee injury in spring training and veteran Ty Slanina in mid-season, the Horned Frogs continued to post a top-five offense. Freshman KaVontae Turpin set a Big 12 record for freshmen with four touchdown catches in a game this season, and running back Shaun Nixon converted to a slot receiver and finished third on the team in receptions.

Both coaches were hired in Fort Worth on two-year contracts, a TCU source said.

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/sports...university/article47177975.html#storylink=cpy
http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/texas-christian-university/article47177975.html

I'd rather be OC at TCU than HC at UNT. I am sure the HC at UNT makes more, but long term I don't see the end game. Turn around UNT and get a better offer is a tall if not impossible task at UNT.

Last edited:
Like BBR, I'll wait for the presser...
;)
I feel your pain...
tumblr_me31aq3Mjr1qacv60o1_500.jpg

Reactions: DHHorn
Cumbie interviewed OC job at Ou last year and did not take it.If your young with a family do you want Job stability with Patterson or Strong?I think he would do a good job at either place.This seems like all talk to me.

if you are young with a family can you turn down 750,000 to one million that is offered to you?

TCU co-offensive coordinator Doug Meacham and North Carolina assistant Seth Littrell are at the center of a debate over who will be the next head football coach at North Texas, according to people familiar with the situation.

A person familiar with the thinking at UNT said Littrell would be the choice. Insiders believe that the Tar Heels want to wait on Littrell’s announcement until after Saturday’s ACC championship game against Clemson.

That timeline perhaps led to a rise of confusing reports that had sources in Fort Worth believing Meacham was headed to North Texas.

Meanwhile, TCU’s other co-offensive coordinator, Sonny Cumbie, has been linked to Texas coach Charlie Strong, who is expected to seek a makeover of the Longhorns’ offense following a second straight disappointing season.

A source, asked if TCU would be able to keep Cumbie from UT, said, “Yes.” But no decisions about a promotion or increase in pay for Cumbie have been made.

TCU officials did not answer requests for comment.

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/sports...university/article47177975.html#storylink=cpy

I think he'd be a great addition.

If Cumbie doesn't come, it won't be because of money. TCU doesn't have the cash that Texas does. They'd lose a bidding war and it wouldn't even be close. If his decision is going to based on how many Benjamin's get thrown at him, he'll be wearing burnt orange.

We also have to consider that it might not be a purely financial decision. Cumbie may have a figure in his head that would keep him at TCU, regardless of what Texas could offer.

Who knows? Right now, only Cumbie. The rest of us are just speculating... Without enough info to come to any real informed decision.

I'll just sit back and watch to see how it plays out, because if Texas is ready to open the big ass checkbook to get a good OC, we'll get one.

Cumbie interviewed OC job at Ou last year and did not take it.If your young with a family do you want Job stability with Patterson or Strong?I think he would do a good job at either place.This seems like all talk to me.

OU didn't offer because he didn't playcall. OU went with a proven playcaller with an offense Bob was familiar with and a coordinator recommended by Mike Leach.

OU didn't offer because he didn't playcall. OU went with a proven playcaller with an offense Bob was familiar with and a coordinator recommended by Mike Leach.
Cumbie is of the same tree and gets the same recommendations from Leach, he loves to spread his seed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT