ADVERTISEMENT

Texas Basketball 2023/2024

Kentucky falls to Oakland?
Yep. Cal wants to recruit 5 star guys develop them and put them in the NBA. He’s said that. That’s great but it’s not going to win in March these days. Kentucky is 1-4 in their 5 tournament games includes losses to a 15 seed and now a 14 seed

7.1 3pt percentage. U G L Y
Yep that will obviously need to be better to beat Tennessee. Tennessee will be a tough game i think they are good enough to win the whole thing, but Texas has the talent to play with anyone and Rick Barnes is about a .500 coach in the tournament in 50+ games so you never know.

Yep that will obviously need to be better to beat Tennessee. Tennessee will be a tough game i think they are good enough to win the whole thing, but Texas has the talent to play with anyone and Rick Barnes is about a .500 coach in the tournament in 50+ games so you never know.
Tennessee is a damn good baskeyball team. Kid Kcheck or w/e is a baller.

Tennessee is a damn good baskeyball team. Kid Kcheck or w/e is a baller.
Yep. Would not shock me to see them win it all or at least advance to the final 4. We know first hand though that Rick Barnes teams underachieved more often than not in the tournament. Will be a fun matchup.

So Rick Barnes is playing Texas and Dana Altman is playing Creighton. Committee will never convince me that is all coincidence

I thought it was a good win tonight. Disu was clearly off on offense, but he didn't let it hurt his defense and rebounding. the other guys won this one tonight, and that's great-- mitchell was solid, cunningham did some good things, even my dude whom i have zero confidence in shedrick did a good job. and i thought weaver was the player of the game. abmas found ways to put the ball in the hoop later in the game.

main thing is, we're playing saturday. that's all that matters.

Stop. This ain't that. This is this.
and numbers are what they ste. From 2009-22 we’re had basically no success in the tournament. In 23 and 24 we have. Make of it what you want but it’s a fact

Texas is the admin, Coach Terry and the NIL folks play things right Texas can build a true power house in the SEC. There in no Kansas or Houston in the SEC. Kentucky will be if they get the right coach, but they haven’t gotten it right in awhile. Tennessee is the closest thing they have and Rick Barnes probably coached 5 more years at best. Everyone else in the conference is pretty Meh. Make the right moves and we can make things happen

Nate oats at Alabama is really good. Florida has a good young coach. But yeah it ain't the b12. But let's carry on with this team for as long as we can

Ugly win but a win counts the same regardless. Don't think we get past Tennessee but who knows.

and numbers are what they ste. From 2009-22 we’re had basically no success in the tournament. In 23 and 24 we have. Make of it what you want but it’s a fact

Texas is the admin, Coach Terry and the NIL folks play things right Texas can build a true power house in the SEC. There in no Kansas or Houston in the SEC. Kentucky will be if they get the right coach, but they haven’t gotten it right in awhile. Tennessee is the closest thing they have and Rick Barnes probably coached 5 more years at best. Everyone else in the conference is pretty Meh. Make the right moves and we can make things happen
Good to KChorn is back and posting. I thought we had lost him during the mediocre regular season.
I agree that the committee set up round 2 on purpose. Regardless of the motive - it will be delicious. BTW - Baylor is sending out all kinds of press releases that BU is the only school to advance out of the first round each of the last 3 years. So evidently it is tougher than it looks.

Reactions: westx
KU nearly lost yesterday and we all saw what happened with Kentucky. The days are numbered for the traditional blue blooded programs. NIL and the transfer portal is how teams will be built point forward. Duke and UK may still get the top HS players for one season but they won’t be attracting anyone from the portal. Why would a top player from the portal want to go play behind a 17/18 year old freshman?

Reactions: diadevic and westx
Look i've let it be known since RT was hired last year that I didn't like the hire. But I think a lot of people are taking for granted the fact that it is now 3 years in a row we've not only made the tournament, but advanced to the 2nd round each of those 3 years. 2 of those years RT was the coach. A successful season by Texas standards is making the tournament and at least winning a game. And then every 4-5 years maybe making a run to the elite 8 or possibly a final 4.

I think some people are weirdly rooting against RT just so they can be right.

I was thinking the same thing. If there's one sport the SEC doesn't dominate it's men's hoops. There's no reason we can't beat Tennessee tomorrow. Overall the Big XII went 2/2 yesterday and our big 3 play today.

*** correction Iowa State played yesterday so that means the Big XII went 3/2 yesterday. And today it's Houston, Baylor, and TCU.

Last edited:
I was thinking the same thing. If there's one sport the SEC doesn't dominate it's men's hoops. There's no reason we can't beat Tennessee tomorrow. Overall the Big XII went 2/2 yesterday and our big 3 play today.

*** correction Iowa State played yesterday so that means the Big XII went 3/2 yesterday. And today it's Houston, Baylor, and TCU.

Byu, Tech which I didn't pick either to win their matchups and Kansas almost went down had a fight with Samson till the end.

Look- college basketball was ruined when HS kids could go pro. Now with 1 and done and the G league-- all them dudes want is to get paid. There isn't a team in this tourney ( nor has there been for a while) that could run with 1990 UNLV or 1989 Loyola Marymount. They'd get plastered.

Reactions: freeper
Look- college basketball was ruined when HS kids could go pro. Now with 1 and done and the G league-- all them dudes want is to get paid. There isn't a team in this tourney ( nor has there been for a while) that could run with 1990 UNLV or 1989 Loyola Marymount. They'd get plastered.
Or Phi Slamma Jamma.

Reactions: freeper
Good to KChorn is back and posting. I thought we had lost him during the mediocre regular season.
I agree that the committee set up round 2 on purpose. Regardless of the motive - it will be delicious. BTW - Baylor is sending out all kinds of press releases that BU is the only school to advance out of the first round each of the last 3 years. So evidently it is tougher than it looks.
Nah work has just been insanely busy the last few months

The SEC is having a rough tournament Auburn just went down. As well as Florida

Some of their coaches were accusing the big 12 of manipulating the net rankings to make the conference look better than it was. Yeah that hasn’t bared out on the court. Texas has a real chance to go in to the SEC next year and own it. In basketball anyway

The big bad SEC can't even beat Yale. And if we take down Rick Barnes tomorrow than it's a March madness disaster for the SEC.

Will the horns make it to the sweet 16 then we have a chance to be the dominant team in the SEC. Why not.

Baylor won easily now it's down to Houston and TCU.

So I just saw this stat. From 2009-2022 so that covers Barnes, Smart and Beard tenure 10-22 tournament recored. Rodney Terry is 4-1 in the tournament.
There probably needs to be an asterisk by Terry’s record. 3-1 of it is with Beard’s team. Let’s see how he does over the next few weeks. I agree with you that with the pockets we can deploy, we have a chance to rule the SEC basketball scene. I’m just not sold that Terry is the guy to lead it.

Reactions: westx and diadevic
There probably needs to be an asterisk by Terry’s record. 3-1 of it is with Beard’s team. Let’s see how he does over the next few weeks. I agree with you that with the pockets we can deploy, we have a chance to rule the SEC basketball scene. I’m just not sold that Terry is the guy to lead it.
You can say that, but a couple of things. You’re assuming that Chris Beard would have had the exact same result had he been the coach. And you are completely discounting the fact that Rodney Terry had a big role in putting the team together. Maybe a bigger role than Beard, as the assistants do most of the recruiting work and scouting guys out of the portal. So if we lose tomorrow is that Chris beard’s fault? This team is largely the same as last year. Like where do you draw the line?

Rodney Terry doesn’t get the respect he deserves with Texas fans simply because he’s not Chris beard. I know there was this narrative that Chris beard was the home town hero and he was going to come home and bring Texas to glory. That didn’t work out and it wasn’t Chris Del Conte’s fault it wasn’t cancel culture, it wasn’t liberals or whatever other excuse you want to use. It was Chris Beards fault and he knows it I promise you. It’s time for Texas fans to more on. I don’t know what kind of tenure Rodney Terry will have, but I can tell you this.

In his first two seasons he has about the same record as Rick Barnes(Terry has won more tournament games) he had a better records than Shaka and a better record that Chris beard. Rather than putting * and yeah buts I prefer to judge people on what they’ve done. And so far Rodney Terry has done as good as anyone we could have reasonably gotten to replace Chris Beard.

You can say that, but a couple of things. You’re assuming that Chris Beard would have had the exact same result had he been the coach. And you are completely discounting the fact that Rodney Terry had a big role in putting the team together. Maybe a bigger role than Beard, as the assistants do most of the recruiting work and scouting guys out of the portal. So if we lose tomorrow is that Chris beard’s fault? This team is largely the same as last year. Like where do you draw the line?

Rodney Terry doesn’t get the respect he deserves with Texas fans simply because he’s not Chris beard. I know there was this narrative that Chris beard was the home town hero and he was going to come home and bring Texas to glory. That didn’t work out and it wasn’t Chris Del Conte’s fault it wasn’t cancel culture, it wasn’t liberals or whatever other excuse you want to use. It was Chris Beards fault and he knows it I promise you. It’s time for Texas fans to more on. I don’t know what kind of tenure Rodney Terry will have, but I can tell you this.

In his first two seasons he has about the same record as Rick Barnes(Terry has won more tournament games) he had a better records than Shaka and a better record that Chris beard. Rather than putting * and yeah buts I prefer to judge people on what they’ve done. And so far Rodney Terry has done as good as anyone we could have reasonably gotten to replace Chris Beard.
Rodney Terry was a .500 coach for 10 years. TEN! This is Texas - act like it! Beard was an overtime away from winning a natty at Texas freaking Tech! Yes, he brought on his own dismissal, but don’t act like there is anything in the history of RT that indicates he deserves this job. He finished 9-9 this year - which is the norm for his career. He seems like a good guy. But so was David McWilliams. Congrats on beating an MWC school and enjoy .500 BBall for the rest of the RT era.

Since you brought it up, I think Texas beats Miami with Beard on the sideline.
I’m not discounting shit as far as recruiting. At the end of the day, the player commits to the head coach’s program. By your logic, Sark has ZERO to do with the recruiting talent for football. I guess it’s all Tulo’s fault that we don’t have any pitching?
Sure 50% of the team was here last year. How many of them are major contributors? Terry not getting “the credit he deserves” has nothing to do with him not being Chris Beard. It’s because he’s a 500 coach based on his career. I hope like hell Terry succeeds. I’m tired of sending checks to support an athletic program that fields a mediocre basketball program.

Reactions: diadevic
You know guys I think coach Terry deserves a chance. He's took over in mid season and we went the farthest since 2008. When the season could have fallen apart, he righted the ship and has a team that believes in him. That's enough for at least 2 more seasons. Shaka Smart won 1 game in 7 seasons.

Patience

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT