ADVERTISEMENT

Texas has (once again) been to HALF of all College World Series

BringBackRoyal

Jan 3, 2004
David Pierce seems to have received the memo that a baseball coach here is expected to make it to Omaha at least half the time.

At the end of this season, there will have been 72 iterations of the CWS -- and the Longhorns will have played in 36 of them.

Enter the history nerdery for a moment, if you like: After the 1968 season, Texas had participated in 11 of 22 editions of the CWS. The Longhorns' CWS participation percentage would remain at or above 50% (peaking at 59.0% in 1985) from 1968 all the way until the 2017 season, when Texas failed to make the 71st CWS. If this season is any indication, Pierce & Co. are well on their way to reestablishing the buffer in the 50+% participation rate that we've lost this decade (and from 1994-99).

Hard to say which is the more mindblowing historical accomplishment: 36 CWS appearances or 78 regular-season conference championships (with 16 conference tournament championships).

Last edited:
Saw a stat that over the last 12 games the pitching has given up 2.5 runs on average. Out of those 12 games only one had more than 3 runs against this staff.

David Pierce seems to have received the memo that a baseball coach here is expected to make it to Omaha at least half the time.

At the end of this season, there will have been 72 iterations of the CWS -- and the Longhorns will have played in 36 of them.

Enter the history nerdery for a moment, if you like: After the 1968 season, Texas had participated in 11 of 22 editions of the CWS. The Longhorns' CWS participation percentage would remain at or above 50% (peaking at 59.0% in 1985) from 1968 all the way until the 2017 season, when Texas failed to make the 71st CWS. If this season is any indication, Pierce & Co. are well on their way to reestablishing the buffer in the 50+% participation rate that we've lost this decade (and from 1994-99).

Hard to say which is the more mindblowing historical accomplishment: 36 CWS appearances or 78 regular-season conference championships (with 16 conference tournament championships).

I have to say this and I'm not wanting to hijack a great topic. We would have the same dominance in football if not for the rampant cheating. Baseball does not have the pay for play issues football does because of the MLB draft. If a kid is good, he gone to the pros. Football is not the same. Three years mandatory before being draft eligible has created a huge potential for payoffs. Had we the same level playing field in football, we would be killing everyone just like in baseball.

Last edited:
I have to say this and I'm not wanting to hijack a great topic. We would have the same dominance in football if not for the rampant cheating. Baseball does not have the pay for play issues football does because of the MLB draft. If a kid is good, he gone to the pros. Football is not the same. Three years mandatory before draft eligible has created a huge potential for payoffs. Had we the same level playing field in football, we would be killing everyone just like in baseball.

Also,

Claim the titles from '14, '18, '30, '41 like other schools that makes 8 titles.

Take care of business in '77, '83, '08, '09 and that makes 12 titles.

12 titles plus being top 3 in wins would make a strong case.

Now you can say why you want about claiming titles, but OU claims on in which they were on probation for cheating, lol. Either '75 or '85. Can't remember.

We talking baseball or football. Oklahoma has 7 recognizes NC’s in football. Texas has 4 recognized NC’s in football. Nothing to do with what if scenarios. You should stick with baseball when comparing championships.

We talking baseball or football. Oklahoma has 7 recognizes NC’s in football. Texas has 4 recognized NC’s in football. Nothing to do with what if scenarios. You should stick with baseball when comparing championships.

Huh? weevilcatch is making a reference to some history that I did not include. If we want, (which we haven't) we could take the path of some $ec schools and claim titles that are probably ours but pre-date real MNC's. Do we have a solid football resume, yes. Could we be much more dominant, yes. Go re-read what I posted about the MLB draft destroying pay for play in baseball. I think it makes some sense. If the same thing existed in cfb, we would be head and shoulders above everyone just like baseball.

Reactions: weevilcatch
Not to be argumentative but the pay for play narrative gets roasted to sh!t when you look at basketball. Even sure fire one and done kids have been held under scrutiny with regard to payments made to them by boosters etc.....

The reason football cheating is rampant is this---- football makes way more money than other college sports.
The reason basketball cheating is rampant is this-- basketball makes way more money than any other sport (other than football).
Baseball cheating does happen..... it's just not as prevalent as football and basketball because baseball on the college level doesn't make as much money.......

• I have to say this and I'm not wanting to hijack a great topic. We would have the same dominance in football if not for the rampant cheating. Baseball does not have the pay for play issues football does because of the MLB draft. If a kid is good, he gone to the pros. Football is not the same. Three years mandatory before being draft eligible has created a huge potential for payoffs. Had we the same level playing field in football, we would be killing everyone just like in baseball.

Not to be argumentative but the pay for play narrative gets roasted to sh!t when you look at basketball. Even sure fire one and done kids have been held under scrutiny with regard to payments made to them by boosters etc.....

The reason football cheating is rampant is this---- football makes way more money than other college sports.
The reason basketball cheating is rampant is this-- basketball makes way more money than any other sport (other than football).
Baseball cheating does happen..... it's just not as prevalent as football and basketball because baseball on the college level doesn't make as much money.......

Still, the possibility of a kid getting drafted before they even enter college would be a huge deterrent to aggie$ and $ooners mortgaging their grandparent's homes to pay players.

Still, the possibility of a kid getting drafted before they even enter college would be a huge deterrent to aggie$ and $ooners mortgaging their grandparent's homes to pay players.
Oh I don't disagree. As I said, there's very little of it that goes on at the collegiate level.... but it happens. You think there was never any hanky Panky going on at wichita st? The CEO of Cessna was a HUGE supporter of the team.... and there's a laundry list of former players that worked at Cessna after leaving baseball. I love Augie to death, but it's widely rumored that following his success in 1979 at cal state fullerton, that he had a Cadre of "powerful people" helping to keep the shelves stocked with talent. The most famous of whom, was his best friend, Kevin costner.

Oh I don't disagree. As I said, there's very little of it that goes on at the collegiate level.... but it happens. You think there was never any hanky Panky going on at wichita st? The CEO of Cessna was a HUGE supporter of the team.... and there's a laundry list of former players that worked at Cessna after leaving baseball. I love Augie to death, but it's widely rumored that following his success in 1979 at cal state fullerton, that he had a Cadre of "powerful people" helping to keep the shelves stocked with talent. The most famous of whom, was his best friend, Kevin costner.

Looks like someone has been dropping the ball at Texas because their cheaters are better than ours, lol.

Am I missing something? What cheating issues have led to Texas' under-performance in football over the last decade?

Am I missing something? What cheating issues have led to Texas' under-performance in football over the last decade?
Cam newton would like to say hello........ he did go to Blinn before auburn. We simply wouldn't pay enough for him.......

The only thing I mentioned about OU was the '75 or '85 ship when you guys were on probation. It's a claimed title that is tainted.

I mentioned it because if Texas were to claim titles it wouldn't be a big deal all things considered.

So NOT cheating has harmed us

Ya, it has. If we lived in a country that cared about doing things the right way then the cheaters get punished but we don't, so they don't. We're not squeaky clean but over the last decade we have been bad at it. Looks like we have re-tooled and are back in business.... Hopefully we are trying to do things on the up and up but some recruits are in it to cash in from the beginning.

I'm proud to represent a University that does things the right way, doesn't claim bogus championships, and strives to have integrity

I'm proud to represent a University that does things the right way, doesn't claim bogus championships, and strives to have integrity
I can tell you from first hand experience-- I took five recruiting trips--- I flew on a private jet to each of these. Never saw the campus on any trip. I was given "things" and had promises made to me by four of the five schools. I chose the one school that didn't do this.

Reactions: LonghornMM
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT