Texas Recruiting

Texas doesn’t play that game is simply not true. They don’t come to Texas these days for the culture. I guess you missed the Lamborghinis lined up at recruiting event. Everyone is playing this game..including Texas.
He is talking about the crazy bidding war. Other than that, yes Texas plays the game.

Reactions: weevilcatch
Texas doesn’t play that game is simply not true. They don’t come to Texas these days for the culture. I guess you missed the Lamborghinis lined up at recruiting event. Everyone is playing this game..including Texas.

He's talking about a bidding war. There is no need. The difference between Fasusi and Brooks is marginal at best. Overpaying just so you can look good on a non coaches "board" of recruiting is a good way to turn into Mack Brown 2010+

Same thing with Dakorien Moore vs. Lockett and Ffrench.

Texas plays the NIL game, but there is no need to overpay for #1 when #2 and #5 will take the offer.

He's talking about a bidding war. There is no need. The difference between Fasusi and Brooks is marginal at best. Overpaying just so you can look good on a non coaches "board" of recruiting is a good way to turn into Mack Brown 2010+

Texas plays the NIL game, but there is no need to overpay for #1 when #2 and #5 will take the offer.
Fasusi seems like a more sought after recruit than Brooks. Fasusi is a 5 star, rated as the #3 OT and #12 overall player. Brooks is as the #19 OT and #180 overall player. And whatever his cost, that's just the cost for players at this level. i read somewhere that 5 star OL who committed to some other sec school that i can remember is getting 800k/year

Both have similar offers. But i am not sure how you can say the difference is marginal (at best) between the #3 and #19 OT unless this is just you sharing your opinion. And Bill Bedenbaugh has never been one to recruit the star ratings and recruiting boards are irrelevant to his recruiting. I think you knew that though.

The difference between 1 and 2 and 5, okay, i can see that could be marginal

Also, a texas beat writer seems to think not landing Fasusi wasnt good

Fasusi would've become the Longhorn's second five-star in the 2025 class, easily allowing them to jump over their rivals in the rankings. Unfortunately for the Longhorns, Oklahoma has stolen their thunder, and will now possess one of the SEC's seven top-10 classes for 2025. Texas is not among them.

But just how bad of a miss is this for the Longhorns?

On the positive side, there is still some hope on the offensive tackle front. Though Fasusi was the main target for Texas, the No. 14 tackle in the class, Nick Brooks, will announce his commitment tomorrow, Friday the 23rd, with Texas solidly in the mix and expected to prevail. Brooks is a mammoth, part of head coach Steve Sarkisian's identity of recruiting 'big human beings', but does not have the technical skill or NFL potential of Fasusi.

But the floodgates will really open if Brooks decides on USC, who is seen as the biggest threat to the Horns. Texas does not have the luxury of losing another offensive tackle in this recruiting period. The Longhorns do have four offensive linemen committed already, but three of them profile as guards and all four are three stars, not nationally ranked by 247Sports.

Also, a texas beat writer seems to think not landing Fasusi wasnt good

Fasusi would've become the Longhorn's second five-star in the 2025 class, easily allowing them to jump over their rivals in the rankings. Unfortunately for the Longhorns, Oklahoma has stolen their thunder, and will now possess one of the SEC's seven top-10 classes for 2025. Texas is not among them.

But just how bad of a miss is this for the Longhorns?

On the positive side, there is still some hope on the offensive tackle front. Though Fasusi was the main target for Texas, the No. 14 tackle in the class, Nick Brooks, will announce his commitment tomorrow, Friday the 23rd, with Texas solidly in the mix and expected to prevail. Brooks is a mammoth, part of head coach Steve Sarkisian's identity of recruiting 'big human beings', but does not have the technical skill or NFL potential of Fasusi.

But the floodgates will really open if Brooks decides on USC, who is seen as the biggest threat to the Horns. Texas does not have the luxury of losing another offensive tackle in this recruiting period. The Longhorns do have four offensive linemen committed already, but three of them profile as guards and all four are three stars, not nationally ranked by 247Sports.

Would it have been better to get Fasusi than not? Of course.

But a non-coach guy saying who a college football team should and shouldn't get is entertainment and nothing more. Kyle Flood has been doing this shit for a long time. I'm going to err on the side of Flood.

Miss on Fasusi and Brooks and you have issues with this OL class. But it won't be a program devastating occurance ffs.

Most of these kids want money and to play immediately because they are teenage boys and can't think beyond the next 5 seconds.

Reactions: westx
Fasusi seems like a more sought after recruit than Brooks. Fasusi is a 5 star, rated as the #3 OT and #12 overall player. Brooks is as the #19 OT and #180 overall player. And whatever his cost, that's just the cost for players at this level. i read somewhere that 5 star OL who committed to some other sec school that i can remember is getting 800k/year

Both have similar offers. But i am not sure how you can say the difference is marginal (at best) between the #3 and #19 OT unless this is just you sharing your opinion. And Bill Bedenbaugh has never been one to recruit the star ratings and recruiting boards are irrelevant to his recruiting. I think you knew that though.

The difference between 1 and 2 and 5, okay, i can see that could be marginal

Sam Cosmi was a 3* brother. 135th OT coming out of HS
Leonard Davis was a DL spec
Christian Jones 3*, 47th rated OT coming out of HS

Tyler Johnson was composite like 7th rated OL and he hardly played...ever.
Tommy Brockermeyer was a 5* -- how'd he turnout?

Both those guys "potential first round pick" LOL

247 guys, Rivals guys, etc. aren't coaches. They aren't scouts. Very few, if any, have experience scouting, recruiting and developing guys. Their opinions are nice, but these dudes are entertainment.

They have a script and regurgitate most of the shit they hear from others. It makes for fun fan banter.

So yes, the difference in Fasusi and Brooks is marginal. Fasusi is ready to play now from the looks of it. Brooks needs to clean up some things. From a physical standpoint and potential standpoint, they're identical.

Would it have been better to get Fasusi than not? Of course.

But a non-coach guy saying who a college football team should and shouldn't get is entertainment and nothing more. Kyle Flood has been doing this shit for a long time. I'm going to err on the side of Flood.

Miss on Fasusi and Brooks and you have issues with this OL class. But it won't be a program devastating occurance ffs.

Most of these kids want money and to play immediately because they are teenage boys and can't think beyond the next 5 seconds.
Fasusi is an awesome OL. But, the stars just didn't align for the following reason. Supposedly, this guy is a $1million dollar man. He would be sitting on the bench a couple of years or at best for 1 year and then another year at right tackle or until Trevor Goosby graduates. Everybody is high on Goosby and so the chances of Fasusi beating him out are unlikely. Too much money to sit on the sidelines that long, so it wouldn't make financial sense to have a bidding war. This all being on the heels of potentially paying too much for Baker in the current '24 class. I heard Ketchum comment a lot about this on the OB youtube channel and it makes complete sense to me.

And 5* Jonah Williams tomorrow.
6’8” 350 lbs!!!

Kyle Flood loves those big humans! My prediction is with our ability to develop talent he will be just as talented or better than Fasusi in 3 years.

Look at how far Cam Williams has developed. He was a 3* prospect that was considered to be a long term project. He’s now our starting right tackle.

I trust this staff.

6’8” 350 lbs!!!

Kyle Flood loves those big humans! My prediction is with our ability to develop talent he will be just as talented or better than Fasusi in 3 years.

Look at how far Cam Williams has developed. He was a 3* prospect that was considered to be a long term project. He’s now our starting right tackle.

I trust this staff.
Exactly! Brooks is Leonard Davis type potential. If Flood wants him, I’m in!

Looks like you guys are fixing to pick up Jonah Williams which kind of sucks for us. I wanted him pretty bad. I guess never say never with todays recruits and flipping but for now it looks like he will be a horn

Reactions: aarontxex and westx
Looks like you guys are fixing to pick up Jonah Williams which kind of sucks for us. I wanted him pretty bad. I guess never say never with todays recruits and flipping but for now it looks like he will be a horn

Man I thought he was an Ag forever. Of course never thought Texas would lose Moore or Fasusi.

Crazy these kids are fickle as mess

Reactions: hookem777 and westx
ANYONE ELSE STILL CONCERNED WITH SARK RECRUITING? HIGHEST DB RATED PLAYER TO EVER COMMIT TO TEXAS BAYBAY

And just like that Texas jumps to #7 in front of Aggies and Sooners.

There is still Terry and Ffrench that is a need.

Sure would like to flip an OL and DL before December as well.

That would solidify a top 5 class and another year where the LOS was strengthened.

And just like that Texas jumps to #7 in front of Aggies and Sooners.

There is still Terry and Ffrench that is a need.

Sure would like to flip an OL and DL before December as well.

That would solidify a top 5 class and another year where the LOS was strengthened.
I think we get French and Terry.

We might also be able to pick up LB Madden Faraimo (that's a battle but Texas is still in it) and will circle back around for one or two additional guys committed elsewhere.

Like clockwork
I'm not counting on this but, I don't think the story is completely written on guys like Pettijohn (and DM--even Fasusi). It's a LONG time until December, and those guys are still in Texas, and NIL hasn't been set in stone by some of these programs. Some of these programs haven't always lived up to their promises--Texas has.
It's not over yet by any means.

I think we get French and Terry.

We might also be able to pick up LB Madden Faraimo (that's a battle but Texas is still in it) and will circle back around for one or two additional guys committed elsewhere.
Faraimo would be a great get and a much needed get.

Reactions: aarontxex
I'm not counting on this but, I don't think the story is completely written on guys like Pettijohn (and DM--even Fasusi). It's a LONG time until December, and those guys are still in Texas, and NIL hasn't been set in stone by some of these programs. Some of these programs haven't always lived up to their promises--Texas has.
It's not over yet by any means.
Aggy is about to fall hard in recruiting after this year...they got their best recruits because people and kids believed the JIMBO HYPE... hence why that number 1 class is all but gone. Texas with Sark is going to beat up on aggy in recruiting like Mack used to do..the difference now is that we have a coach who can develop these players.

Reactions: aarontxex
ANYONE ELSE STILL CONCERNED WITH SARK RECRUITING? HIGHEST DB RATED PLAYER TO EVER COMMIT TO TEXAS BAYBAY
Help me out here.....
Williams is a 6'5 205 DB?

That just seems........odd. the last safety that was 6'4 that was worth a sh!t was Darren Woodson-- amd he played on arguably the most talented Defense in the NFL at the time.

Help me out here.....

That just seems........odd. the last safety that was 6'4 that was worth a sh!t was Darren Woodson-- amd he played on arguably the most talented Defense in the NFL at the time.
he prob will go LB or maybe Nickle style? He is fast for his size though. Id say a 4.5 runner

Help me out here.....

I think he's currently 6'3 200ish, but I'd be surprised if his weight in muscle doesn't increase substantially. I was looking at his reel--he really fast, but he's long, particularly in the legs with lumbering strides. He looks tall out there on the field.

He just looks more like a future linebacker to me. But he's got skills to pretty much play anywhere.

Help me out here.....

I agree, but I think he is 6’3. Do you remember Steve Atwater at Arkie? Back in the 80s before your time, but I believe he was a 6’4 safety. He was all american and played in the NFL

I agree, but I think he is 6’3. Do you remember Steve Atwater at Arkie? Back in the 80s before your time, but I believe he was a 6’4 safety. He was all american and played in the NFL
Another good comparison is Brian Urlacher. Pretty sure he was a DB in college but moved to LB in the pros.

Reactions: westx
Atwater was a straight up killer but he’d be a linebacker in today’s game.
In the 80s, the Safety was as much of an enforcer to keep guys from being comfortable coming across the middle as he was a cover guy. Rule changes have all but eliminated that type of player.

Bruh-- I watched Steve Atwater knock Christian Okoye the fvck out.