ADVERTISEMENT

The Olympics are here

The 4x400’s, both men and women were fun. The women DESTROYED everyone. Heard later that one of the initial women runners was told like 15 minutes before the race that she was out and not running. That’s cold.

Reactions: Crimson_Warrior
I'm not sure about this but I think Texas had as many medals as any other school. Some of them represented other countries but they were coached at Texas.

Hookemhorns

Did he back it up though? He’s failed more than not. His school is a ****ing disaster and he’s a PED user
Firstly, i am not a fan of his, but I recognize greatness when I see it. Everyone fails, jordan failed a ton too. But 20+ years playing at a high level and Winning nba championships with 3 different teams, very impressive. Winning all those gold medals, impressive. Four MVPs, 20x all star, 20x all nba player, nba all defense 6x, and he's the all time scoring leader despite only leading the league in scoring one time in his career. If that's not backing it up, I dont know what is.

I dont think PEDs would make him an elite world class athlete at 39. That's a lot of hard work and out of this world talent. If PEDs were all it takes there would be a bunch of 39 year old dudes out there in the nba still balling out. Whatever he's doing physically is working though, so if it was easy i'm sure others would do it

Maybe. Of course one could say the same as you for not just scrolling by and ignoring my post. So welcome to insanity **** face 😂
One would not make that statement seriously considering this is a message board designed for discussion, which is what i'm doing here. and this being a thread specifically about olympics but you bring up politics.

Nobody would know his political viewpoints if he never opened his mouth about it.

Like Michael Jordan once said "Republicans buy shoes too".
So what though? People gonna have viewpoints different than yours, that's life, deal with it. Complaining about an nba player's politics is so irrelevant, stupid, a waste of effort, utterly without meaning...take your pick.

Volleyball too.

Many parts of the country care about soccer. Problem is coaching more than the athletes. Athleticism matters of course but IQ and technical ability are much more important

We could dominate handball and rugby too if it was bigger choice for kids. But it’s not.
Get a few baseball players that can throw hard and I bet they can hang with these other hand ball teams or even football players that can throw hard. We have a professional rugby team here in Dallas but the crowd for the games is not very high.

Reactions: weevilcatch
One would not make that statement seriously considering this is a message board designed for discussion, which is what i'm doing here. and this being a thread specifically about olympics but you bring up politics.

Considering the political impact on the Olympics going back to the 30s, I’m not sure how you can arrive at that conclusion.

I get you’re a contrarian, but sometimes it’s misplaced.

Like you said, it’s a message board. Take everything with a grain of salt

So what though? People gonna have viewpoints different than yours, that's life, deal with it. Complaining about an nba player's politics is so irrelevant, stupid, a waste of effort, utterly without meaning...take your pick.

Complaining about a message board viewpoint because it isn’t the same as yours is irrelevant, stupid and a waste of effort, utterly without meaning.

How the **** do you miss the irony here? Ffs dude

Morgan Freeman Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

If it's without meaning-- then why do they broach the topic?

Considering the political impact on the Olympics going back to the 30s, I’m not sure how you can arrive at that conclusion.

I get you’re a contrarian, but sometimes it’s misplaced.

Like you said, it’s a message board. Take everything with a grain of salt
Olympics isnt a political event though and it's political impacts are largely insignificant

Olympics isnt a political event though and it's political impacts are largely insignificant

My man. You serious? Off the top of my head...

1936 - Berlin. The Nazi Olympics
1948 - Japan and Germany excluded for political reasons
1952 - Onset of the Cold War Rivalry
1956 - China boycotted the Australia games because of Taiwan
1960 - In Rome games Taiwan literally entered with a sign that said "Protest" or something like that
1968 - The famous "Black Power" salute
1972 - The freaking massacre of Israeli athletes
1976 - The entire continent of Africa boycotted the Olympics
1980 - USA doesn't go because the games are in USSR
1984 - USSR returns the favor
1988 - Communist pals (Cuba and someone else...can't remember) refuse to participate because IOC excluded North Korea as co-host
1992 - The Unified team and whatnot...old Yugoslavia countries compete as their own
1996 - Anti-government nut bombs Olympic Village
2000 - Australian government led to apologize for wrongs of their past or some shit...can't remember
2016 - Refugee team in Rio....loads of protests in Brazil because their government spent billions to put this on while people still lived in tin boxes
2020 - COVID....Japan had to deal with protests about hosting or continuing with the games
2024 - Russia banned. The Afghan female athlete protesting. The shit storm caused by the opening ceremony

Actually. I guess you're right Midnight. The Olympics have very little political, social, economic impact...LOL

1960 - In Rome games Taiwan literally entered with a sign that said "Protest" or something like that
1988 - Communist pals (Cuba and someone else...can't remember) refuse to participate because IOC excluded North Korea as co-host
1992 - The Unified team and whatnot...old Yugoslavia countries compete as their own
2000 - Australian government led to apologize for wrongs of their past or some shit...can't remember
2016 - Refugee team in Rio....loads of protests in Brazil because their government spent billions to put this on while people still lived in tin boxes
2020 - COVID....Japan had to deal with protests about hosting or continuing with the games
2024 - Russia banned. The Afghan female athlete protesting. The shit storm caused by the opening ceremony

Actually. I guess you're right Midnight. The Olympics have very little political, social, economic impact...LOL
Well, aside from those isolated instances…

The pair were barred from competing in the 2023 women's World Championships by the International Amateur Boxing association (IBA). Its president, Umar Kremlev, said at the time that their DNA tests had "proved they had XY chromosomes (the male chromosomes) and were thusThey are excluded," per The Guardian.
They are apparently androgen receptor deficient. They have testosterone, but it is not well received at the cellular level. See "Stella the fella." She was a very successful athlete, but the press gave her the nickname because she didn't look right. The rest of her life was not good, she was killed in an armed robbery in Cleveland in 1980. At autopsy, she was intersex, with XY chromosomes.

They are apparently androgen receptor deficient. They have testosterone, but it is not well received at the cellular level. See "Stella the fella." She was a very successful athlete, but the press gave her the nickname because she didn't look right. The rest of her life was not good, she was killed in an armed robbery in Cleveland in 1980. At autopsy, she was intersex, with XY chromosomes.
Did the Algerian boxer medal at Paris?

What gets me are the people that compare a XY competing in women's boxing to Wemby in the NBA. He has a biological advantage of being tall, so the person that is XY just has an advantage over women.

Wild shit. And a can of worms I don't think we want opened...but it is probably too late.

sure looking at 1936, when they had the games in berlin. he nazis were in power yep. but what was political about the Olympics themselves? there were no political events. it was athletics. it's about the games, not about the politics. it's really a nice window of time for people to compete outside all the bs politics of things. this is why you are seeing athletes from countries who are politically at odds (US and China for example) are getting along with each other. it's not about the politics for them, it's about the competition.

It's about politics to certain others though. Doesnt mean that certain people, who arent the athletes competing, people who go out of their way to act political, those folks make every facet of life political. But the games themselves arent political and that's what I mean.

As far as political impacts go, looking at all these examples, what was the impact? e.g. 2024 russia banned...impact? the afghan boxer...political sure, people made it that way, people who werent involved...but what was the impact? nothing. the shitsstorm of the opening ceremonies...impact? it was talked bout for a few days and on to the next thing.

going back to 2020, protests? i mean waht impact did that have? people protest all the times. the games continued.

2016, refugee team in rio? i never even heard of that. protests in brazil? i dont remember, i'll take your word for it but if i cant even remember it happening 8 years later, must not have had a significant impact. maybe brazliians cared but the rest of the world didnt.

2000- i dont remember either. must not have been impactful.
1996- biggest impact from that event was a good movie that came out in 2019.

i just dont think these were impactful political issues, outside being a momentary blip in the news media.

Because it's a message board. The entirety of our existence on here is a waste of time, lol.

This is free therapy my man!!! hahahaha
It's only therapy if you can get on someone's nerves, someone across the country or world banging their fists on the keyboard. that's therapy i can get behind

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT